Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The poster RobinPh said a 30min walk was better than a 10min run so I said take the walk.

The restriction is 2km. It is not 30min.

The restriction is no more than 2km from your home, not distance or time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

robinph wrote: »
    The restriction is no more than 2km from your home, not distance or time.

That's your interpretation so that you can get more miles in. The guideline didn't mean that you can run around for infinity as long as your within a 2km radius of your home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

That's your interpretation so that you can get more miles in.

They said a 2km radius from your home. They did not say a 2km walk or run. Your inability to comprehend basic English is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

That's your interpretation so that you can get more miles in.

No... That is the rule. You can go out and run all you like, alone.. once you stay within 2km radius of your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Going out and running “all you like” is hardly brief, is it?

• Advertisement

EDit wrote: »

Well said. There's a handful here who don't understand the word Brief.

Define brief? Last month I was getting out for 6-7hr mountain runs/hikes... So 1 hr is brief in comparison? Who knows.

What is the issue with somebody going out to run for an hour vs 30 mins? If the distance themselves from anyone they pass... How does a time limit lessen the spread?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I’m not a runner. I walk a lot.
    Mostly I haven’t had a problem with runners. In parks or on footpaths, roads and streets generally they or I can make room so no problem for me.

Major problem with cars parking on footpaths.
    Reduce space so no room to ensure 2 metre gap if Some is coming the other direction and lthe possibility that contaminated droplets surviving on hard surface.

Major problem with people cycling on foothpaths
    Also guilty of huffing and puffing, travelling at speed so impossible for them to ensure passing at 2 metre distance.

Illegal activity at the best of times.
    Dangerous at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

They haven’t defined brief. TBH, if everyone starts running and cycling (there is an equivalent thread about the restrictions and impact on cycling) around in circles for hours on end then they will have no choice but to define it. The sooner the better IMO as it will stop people interpreting it to fit their own needs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

1 less hour of this drivel today

• Advertisement

They haven’t defined brief. TBH, if everyone starts running and cycling (there is an equivalent thread about the restrictions and impact on cycling) around in circles for hours on end then they will have no choice but to define it. The sooner the better IMO as it will stop people interpreting it to fit their own needs

Agreed, it should have been made clearer. The cycling thread is experiencing the same problems in interpreting the guidelines.

Think of it this way:
    If everyone in your area either walked, ran or cycled constantly all day within that 2km would it increase or reduce spread?

The idea is to give everyone within your area brief exercise so that they all remain healthy and limit the spread of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

mloc123 wrote: »
    Define brief? Last month I was getting out for 6-7hr mountain runs/hikes... So 1 hr is brief in comparison? Who knows.

What is the issue with somebody going out to run for an hour vs 30 mins? If the distance themselves from anyone they pass... How does a time limit lessen the spread?

A time limit lessens the spread because being out and about is more risky that being at home.

My own personal calculation of what is 'brief' is based off the guidelines. My Google maps tells me that a 2k walk from my home takes 25 minutes. The guidelines allow people to move 2k from their homes, so a walker taking advantage of that could walk for 50 minutes.

Based on that I'm taking it that a 50 minute run falls within 'brief'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Let's be honest, the measures are in place to stop groups of people walking and running together. If everyone was walking/running on their own last week they wouldn't have had to say anything. Just go on your own, give space if you come across people, stay close to your home, be grand.

Agreed, it should have been made clearer. The cycling thread is experiencing the same problems in interpreting the guidelines.

Think of it this way:
    If everyone in your area either walked, ran or cycled constantly all day within that 2km would it increase or reduce spread?

The idea is to give everyone within your area brief exercise so that they all remain healthy and limit the spread of the virus.

Fair enough. Maybe some areas are busier, I got out yesterday for about 30mins... And the place was dead. Passed one person... Stood in the middle of the road to take pictures, because I had never seen it without cars before.. even on Xmas morning.

Maybe there are paths clogged up with runners doing loops, but I haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

My interpretation of the 2km was that it was primarily brought in to stop people congregating at leisure spots for exercise. E.g. howth, glendalough, ticknock etc. Nothing to do with expecting people to do 2km out and back.

The "brief" was a don't take the piss order. Would have thought anything less than an hr is far from that. The 30 mins timeline seems to have no basis.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Let's be honest, the measures are in place to stop groups of people walking and running together. If everyone was walking/running on their own last week they wouldn't have had to say anything. Just go on your own, give space if you come across people, stay close to your home, be grand.

IMO... The new rules are to stop the nonsense we had last weekend. People crowding to howth, glendalough etc... Keep people in their local areas, the usual fair weather walkers will just sit in and watch TV when there is no fish and chips to buy after their stroll along the pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The park next to me is much quieter than it was last week now that the car park next to it is closed.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The very people saying that they need to define brief, are the very people who would complain if Leo said "15 minutes max".
    Be sensible FFS, we are all in this together. 14km or whatever is not brief no matter how much you try justify it to yourself or what time of the day or night you did it at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

'Brief exercise' means keeping the amount of people you potentially interact with to a minimum. You may only pass a handful of people on a 30 min run/walk, but you will pass many more if you go out for an hour or more. That's the logic - minimising contact and the potential spread of the virus. Also, the A&E wards don't need to be taken up by folk with sprained/broken ankles after being out for an hour or two walking/running.

Remember, the primary instruction for all of us is to stay indoors. In two weeks time, we may well be told not to venture outside for any reason. Running on the spot and reps of climbing the stairs might become the norm for those unlucky not to have a treadmill or exercise bike.

BTW, I'm a cyclist, used to several hours a day on the bike. I'm now confined to a turbo-trainer (stationary bike) for 40 min at a time. The same logic applies to us even if some may consider it an even less risky way of transmission compared to walking/running.

I do have sympathy for those stuck in apartments with restrictions on what they can do. However, the rules are for all of us and for the overall good of the country. So yes, there will be those who are disproportionately impositioned, but it is done for good reason and those reasons outweigh any impact on daily routine for the time being.

It will end and we will get back to normal at some stage. Chin up folks and stay safe and healthy.

mloc123 wrote: »
    IMO... The new rules are to stop the nonsense we had last weekend. People crowding to howth, glendalough etc... Keep people in their local areas, the usual fair weather walkers will just sit in and watch TV when there is no fish and chips to buy after their stroll along the pier.

I think the reasons for the new restrictions from yesterday go a lot further than that.

They are telling people to stay in their homes and only go out in a narrow range of circumstances.
    Even for exercise, they are saying that you must limit going out to once a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

How is 2km max distance from your home any sort of limit on how far you can run in an hour?

Even on a single straight road run 2km out, then head back past you house, 2km in the other direction and you're 8km up when you get home. Then do it, or some of it again if you have time.

Better yet, if possible run 2km out then do a 2km-radius circle, and 2km back to base, that's 19km. Do that twice it's only a few miles short of a marathon.

The idea of the 2km restriction is to stop half the country ending up on the same country lane/beach/mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Phoebas wrote: »
    I think the reasons for the new restrictions from yesterday go a lot further than that.

They are telling people to stay in their homes and only go out in a narrow range of circumstances.
    Even for exercise, they are saying that you must limit going out to once a day.

Link me to government guidelines that say "once a day"?

Or did you just make that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Depends on whether you are a marathon runner or a 100 mtr sprinter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Everyone can run/walk but the advice is to keep it brief.

The selfish idiots amongst us think 14km is brief exercise.

They don't grasp that the longer you are out running/walking the risk of spread increases due to the fact that you are more likely to have interactions with others.

What if you ran 14km in an area where you didnt meet anybody?

Chivito550 wrote: »

I didn't make it up, but it's possible that I misinterpreted something .

I'll have a look-see and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It comes from an authoritative source: the twitter account of Donegal Brass Band.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Stark wrote: »
    It comes from an authoritative source: the twitter account of Donegal Brass Band.

Raphoe or Pride of Inishowen?

F@cking splitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

The advice from Cork County Board applies here. Did you really need to run 14km.

https://www.corkathletics.org/news/1670-editorial-do-you-really-need-to-get-out.html

I don’t live in cork so why would I be looking at that. I’ve looked at it and can’t see where it says max 2km run in total.

14km is just over an hour easy pace for me. If I went out now for 2km out and back now I’d see more people than I did at 6am this morning.

People are running within the guidelines and seems like more people are running early and late to minimise the number of people they come across. Like the person walking their dogs. Up early to walk them rather than during the day.

Should a person with a big dog who needs long walk only bring it out for 30 minutes also?

You swear runners where leaving a trail of the virus behind them in their footprints.

By some people thinking that supermarkets be only allowed in one at a time in case you see someone and catch the virus of them.

Far less likely to catch the virus out for a run than going to the shops to get a carton of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The poster RobinPh said a 30min walk was better than a 10min run so I said take the walk.

The restriction is 2km. It is not 30min.

2k radius of your house is the restriction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

UK guidelines not Ireland.

Walked the dog in the part at 630am nonone there

Ran at 715am in the part went by one runner, a good 3 meters apart.

Kids on their bikes at 930 in the park, still pretty empty.

Now in for the day.

Advertisement