Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I went for a 9 mile...........yes 9 mile run this morning at 7.30am, I saw 3 people in total and all were the width of a dual carriageway away from me, this 9 miles was all done inside a 2k radius of my home. I didnt spit, snot or breath on anybody. As far as I am concerned I didnt put anybody in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I never said people can't run. I said people have to shop, they don't have to run.

Minister for Health, official guidelines, tweet 2 min ago

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1244376402096521217?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ed......

Maybe Leos secretly training for a looped 24hr race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well said. There's a handful here who don't understand the word Brief.

Ed's last run was 249km ... brief is relative around these parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

When are you going to use the stuff you've stockpiled?

A question like that from a Moderator.

I haven't stockpiled.

Be careful, your accusing me in the wrong and all because I disagree with you on how the guideline is interpreted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

I tried out an app/addon on my Garmin watch today called 'back home'. It gives you a data field which is the direct distance back to where you started (home). I tried it out today and it worked quite well. I could see when I reached 2km so I turned around and took a few out and back turns all within 2k of home. Might be useful.

I haven't stockpiled.

Be careful, your accusing me in the wrong and all because I disagree with you on how the guideline is interpreted.

Simon Harris tweeted tonight to enjoy the outdoors respectfully. What difference does it make if your running, walking or doing cartwheels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Ed's last run was 249km ... brief is relative around these parts!

But that was in a brief 24 hours! My last 3 races took me 36 hours, 100 hours, and 40 hours to complete. Ed is only warming up with a bit of speed work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Simon Harris tweeted tonight to enjoy the outdoors respectfully. What difference does it make if your running, walking or doing cartwheels ?

Hope you didn't touch your face after those cartwheels.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I haven't stockpiled.

I haven't asked anything offensive ?

It was a tongue firmly in cheek question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I haven't stockpiled.

They haven’t accused you of anything, simply asked you a question. But again like many other things on this on thread you’ve avoided to answer......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Genghis

Just back and showered after a beautiful 6.5k run under a clear starry sky tonight. All within 2k of home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

7k at sunset in the park. Passed about 10 people, two of them twice. No dogs, kids or Gardaí. No problems, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Caquas

Sussex18 wrote: »
    I'm seeing a big, no massive increase in dog poop..

I’m seeing this, especially this weekend. I saw lots more people out walking, often with their dogs. Could be that people are taking more walks as a legit way to get outside and they may not be used to cleaning up dog poop.

Whatever the cause, there was definitely more dogsh*t on the pavements in my 2km radius. Yeah, I kept the Coronavirus 2 metres away from me but just imagine the germs I brought home on my shoe!

Hey, dog owners! Clean that sh*t up or I’ll start drafting emergency legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

wow. the sense of entitlement in here. people are dying. stay within 2k. that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

wow. the sense of entitlement in here. people are dying. stay within 2k. that is all

Maybe you should re re-read the last several pages again if you think there is any sense of entitlement!

Literally all regular posters here are saying exactly what you are saying i.e. stay within the 2k locality limit for exercise and one poster who keeps making the same point that nobody should be out for more than a few minutes.

We're all grown-ups here, we all understand the the gravity of what is happening, have elderly parents who are in high risk groups etc we also know how to responsibly get out for fresh air and run for our sanity. Your virtue signalling adds about as much to the conversation as the poster who keeps making the same point about not being allowed outside for more than a few minutes even though it has been pointed out many times that is not what the government directive states.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Definite increase in dog droppings here too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

robinph wrote:
    Definite increase in dog droppings here too.

I'm more worried about the incredibly toxic sweat on the ground than the extra poo to be honest.

I'm more worried about the incredibly toxic sweat on the ground than the extra poo to be honest.

Lol.What a dumb statement

Toxic sweat??!! 😂

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Toxic sweat??!! 😂

They're a new glam rock band. Have you never heard of them?

Burkie1203 wrote:
    Lol.What a dumb statement

Toxic sweat??!! 😂

Read the earlier part of the thread. Lol. Try and keep up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I have no desire to run in little circles or up and down the same road ten times to get my run in - takes all the joy out of it . It’s like the end of a long run when your trying to make up that extra 500m over and over . It’s ok the first few times - checking out the boundaries but it will get old quick for me I’d say .Most runners seem respectful and alert to the etiquette and will make an effort to get 2m away whereas walkers with earphones - just stroll in the middle of the footpath not moving an inch for love nor money . I suspect there will be a social distancing accident that will put a halt to all our adventures . I think I better buy a dog though as that seems to be the only way to get outdoors in Spain/Italy .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think what this whole thing has showed us is that while most of us are reasonable people
    what if you were the asymptomatic coronavirus carrier, as you leave your sweat on the streets for others to walk over and drag into their home.
    This should be nominated for some kind of award.

If only that other troll had this sort of imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Don't read up about Weil's disaese then. There would have to be rivers of toxic sweat to have any cross contamination impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Well don’t go around licking the ground so.

If your really that worried about it (which it doubt) change your shoes for outside.

Running is no harm, how could it be with social distancing.

It does not matter and what if you were the asymptomatic coronavirus carrier, as you leave your sweat on the streets for others to walk over and drag into their home.

Good Lord peeps. I had assumed people were following but no, its just a case of people jumping on what they want. See previous quoted above.......

My comment was a tongue in cheek reference to that.

Let it be noted;

1. I do not, nor believe in toxic sweat.
    2. I do not lick pavements.
    3. Y'all need to get laid or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

It does not matter and what if you were the asymptomatic coronavirus carrier, as you leave your sweat on the streets for others to walk over and drag into their home.

My mother use to tell me not to be dragging my feet when walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

It’s interesting reading back over the last few pages on people’s reactions to the new restrictions in place. As a disclaimer here I ran 12 miles on Saturday morning and 7 miles Sunday morning (early in the morning, all within the 2km radius of my house, kept distance and all that). What I’ve learned is:
    • By its nature running is a selfish sport/passtime (not saying that in a negative way but it is almost always about ourselves and our own performance/time) so when we are presented with these new restrictions we automatically think of how it affects just us (in terms of running).
    • It is also ridiculously addictive, we need to get our fix (well I do), when an obstacle comes up we (I) automatically try and work around it to get the miles in (2km from home? Okay I can get 8km if I go 2km 1-way and double back and go 2km the other way and back, etc).
    • Non-runners do not understand this mentality.
    • Are we doing any harm/increasing risk? Maybe/maybe not, depends on each individual circumstance, the person heading out at 6am and meeting no one then no risk, meeting 3-4 people a slight risk, meeting 10 people greater risk and so on.
    • And now the difficult bit, should we be going out doing 10-20mile runs? No!! no matter the circumstances
    o We, as a nation have been asked to stay indoors for the next 2 weeks (at least). This is to prevent hundreds and maybe thousands of deaths and overwhelm our health system.
    o This is a numbers game, the less time people are out of their home the less transmission there will be – it doesn’t matter if we say we only saw 2 people and we were 4 meters apart, the more we are out the more the risk of transmission.
    o Recommendations are there to stay within 2km from home to stop people travelling to other communities and spread the virus (ie heading off the Glendalough for a walk) – this was not meant as a target
    o “Brief” is open to interpretation but if we are really honest with ourselves we know anything over 30-40 mins is taking the piss.

I had a long hard look at myself yesterday and realize I was wrong to go out for so long on both mornings, I may not have increased the risk personally but collectively if everyone took this attitude the roads would be packed – why should I think I deserve to be out when others are staying in? (Philosophical question).

For me I think it’s time to step out of my comfort zone of keeping the mileage up which will be a pain as I’m just getting back into a groove after a major slump post Dublin last October. Will it be difficult? Yes. Will I succeed and not go out for 10-12 miles next weekend? I don’t know but I’ll try. Time to keep the runs short (6-8km, 30-45mins) and do some home S&C.

I realize this will be difficult because in the current climate the only thing that we have any control over (our training) is being threatened and impacted which is hard to take but I guess I’ll have to suck it up.

For all the runners out there, whatever you decide it’s your decision, but maybe step back, have a look at the big picture and ask if the run is essential (ignore risk levels but keep in mind mental health), then decide.

It will also be a bad look for the sport if everyone is posting up long runs on Strava, in times of stress and uncertainty, people want to be angry at something/someone (no point being angry at a virus), so runners will be an easy target

Whatever way be safe and be kind

• Advertisement

Read the earlier part of the thread. Lol. Try and keep up!

Who doesn't take off their shoes when they go into their house?

Advertisement