Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

In the Harris statement there is no time limit mentioned, the reference of 30mins is an indication of how far a 2km walk is. Brief is ambiguous and open to interpretation. I expect further clarification needs to come over the weekend. If you're heading out be sensible and have your story crisp if stopped. Yes, I'm within 2km from house, I'm practicing social distancing, I run marathons so yes I do consider 60 mins brief, I couldn't find a time restriction in the announcement last night. Thank you very much for your concern Garda, have a nice day and be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

It was meant in the spirit that everyone can get out and take in exercise within 2km of their home such as a walk or short run.

It's not to allow a bunch of self absirbed selfish runners get their 10km in by running around local roads until they reach 10km.

Remember everyone in your area can take 2km of exercise. There is a limited amount of room.
    Older people out for a walk don't want to have to deal with numerous runners hogging roads or paths and neither do youger ones for that matter.

Get a grip will you. Anyway gotta go for my run now. Have a nice day. And stay off the internet. Go get some fresh air. You need it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Your not meant to do 10km. Your allowed to do 2km. Obey the rules for everyone's benefit

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

I was out this morning 6am doing a loop which was max 1km away from house. 2.5 km loop. I meet 8 people on my 11km run. 6 of them were in pairs walking dogs. Brief is open to interpretation. 10km run for a lot of people be brief while others be a long run. I could go for a 2km walk kids who be 5 and under and could take an hour with the stoping and starting or could be 30 minutes.

Cyclists be on their turbos now. At least they can cycle and have their buns at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Murph_D wrote: »
    The 'rule' is that you can be out for 'brief individual personal exercise within 2km of your own home'. Nothing at all on there about 'self absorbed selfish runners', or that you have to stop after 2k total. 'Brief' is the limit (which is a relative term). That's all.

Unless your an idiot brief is the estimated <=30mins it takes to do your 2km.
    martin101 wrote: »
    Get a grip will you. Anyway gotta go for my run now. Have a nice day. And stay off the internet. Go get some fresh air. You need it

You say you gotta, you don't. I presume your run is for exercise as there are no races to train for and there won't be for a long time.

Ill get my fresh air but I won't hog the road or paths like you or the other self absorbed on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭urgelgru

I've taken up running relatively late in life, first as a way of getting some time efficient cardio, now it's much for the mental effects. I love the fact that I'm out running, after being the person who avoided PE as much as possible, was the "last one to be picked for teams" and if left to my deepest natural inclinations would eat myself to the stage of being a participant on "My 600lb Life". Running goes against everything that's natural for ME and I love that I've managed to buck that, even if I'm slow as tar and as heavy footed as an elephant!

I'm an "anti-social" runner at the best of times. I used to run at 5.30 in the morning when I was a long-distance commuter. I love the solitude and the feeling of "having the place to yourself" more or less. I run early at the weekends as well when I go out. I've been very careful to step away from anyone that I do pass the last few weeks (not that I was barging into people before!!). Last weekend I had the vibe that more restrictions were coming even before all the social media outrage. I deliberately went out extra early on Sunday and ran the farthest I've ever ran, a long loop around a local beauty spot. It was glorious. I felt like I could have just kept running and running! Yesterday evening I was mapping out a route to run even further, when the announcement was made. It's disappointing but it's hardly a sacrifice. I did the local "boring" 3km loop route this morning. I've done that route so much I know I'm never more than 2km from the house. I had stopped timing runs for a good while there because I was trying to work on my endurance. I was thinking I needed to start timing again so I'm going to do the 3km route regularly and work on my speed.

There are so many lemons around right now, but it's OK, I like lemonade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Up nice and early lads, nobody about, nice peaceful run, youd likely be forgiven for nipping over the 2km mark at 6am

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You say you gotta, you don't. I presume your run is for exercise as there are no races to train for and there won't be for a long time.

Ill get my fresh air but I won't hog the road or paths like you or the other self absorbed on here.

Calm down, no where did it say we can only do 2k.

Park beside my house, did 10k at 7am. Only people in the park were runners and a few dog walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Trampas wrote: »
    I was out this morning 6am doing a loop which was max 1km away from house. 2.5 km loop. I meet 8 people on my 11km run. 6 of them were in pairs walking dogs. Brief is open to interpretation. 10km run for a lot of people be brief while others be a long run. I could go for a 2km walk kids who be 5 and under and could take an hour with the stoping and starting or could be 30 minutes.

Cyclists be on their turbos now. At least they can cycle and have their buns at the same time

On my 10km loop I have met a handful of people in the last 4 years (I can count on one hand) - Its VERY rural - and wouldn't expect to meet anybody today.

My reading is that the measures are for social isolation, so believe I am sticking to the spirit of the rule - within 2km and not meeting anybody. No races for the foreseeable future - this is for mental headspace

I agree 'brief' in open to interpretation - for my kids <1km is brief, for someone else 1hr could be brief.

Must make buns later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Just to help boardies compliance :)

Use this link
    https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

Draw a 2km circle (its simple) from your home. Now you know what routes you can take, particularly if you are urban, lots of choice.

If stopped by the Gardai or Park Ranger: simply offer them your Eircode to check on their google map to prove you are within 2km of home :D

• Advertisement

I know yeah, nobody could move with me taking up the whole road lol. Give over. No I'm not training for anything. Just staying fit. You should try it sometime. It's good for your MOOD

Two guards actually went by me while I was out. A nice friendly nod to each other. All good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

https://2kmfromhome.com/ will help.

Gives you alot more options

Gardai in griffeen park today, breaking up groups of youths. Where are the parents I like to know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Didn't exactly sleep very well last night (wonder why!) so went out before 6am just to make sure I was keeping to guidelines & have empty streets, did a bit of a loop from my house which came to ~5.5k & saw a total of 5 people in that whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

I went out this morning and ran 12k all within a 2km radius. Could be argued it was a little longer than brief but I don't think so.

I passed a couple and a family. I crossed over the street to do so. Have been running on grass and crossing roads to avoid people for weeks now.

A motorist gave me a disapproving tut tut look this morning. I gave him the finger.

I got abuse on another forum I'm a member of too.

I worried the day would come where I'd be made feel a prick for running.

I worry it's going to become more and more socially unacceptable.

May have to run exclusively at 6am. I'm used to that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

See Drew Harris's briefing.

Why don't you fill us in with link and quote, please? Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Was out myself at 6:30am this morning.As i usually am,most saturday morning's.The 2k'ish,loops were a pain in the hole,but got a decent run in.
    And as per usual,i did'nt meet a single soul.
    I run for my mental well being.
    I will continue to do so,as long i am keeping within the new social distance,guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Went out to the edge of town beside some fields (less than 2 km away) with the dogs....did around 8km loop. Only went by 3 people. People usually walk their dogs around there.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Why don't you fill us in with link and quote, please? Cheers.

I can't find a link to the briefing but he spoke at 8am this morning. Only an asshole would look for a loophole around the word brief.

Heres Dr Ronan Bolands request on taking your brief exercise. He's former president of the IMO and a runner.

The only reference to 30mins was in relation to the distance from your home (I.e. half an hour from your home).
    CMO letter to Harris here: https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1243666003734794241?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Thankfully, being a sprinter, all my exercise is relatively brief.

Business as usual.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    The only reference to 30mins was in relation to the distance from your home (I.e. half an hour from your home).
    CMO letter to Harris here: https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1243666003734794241?s=19

From that letter you can choose to take brief individual exercise by either running/walking within 2km/30min of your home.

The spirit of that letter is that the exercise should be brief.
    It is not to be interpreted that you can run endlessly within your 2km radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

From that letter you can choose to take brief individual exercise by either running/walking within 2km/30min of your home.

The spirit of that letter is that the exercise should be brief.
    It is not to be interpreted that you can run endlessly within your 2km radius.

Says who? That is literally how everyone I know is interpreting it, runners and non runners alike.

Blud wrote: »
    Says who? That is literally how everyone I know is interpreting it, runners and non runners alike.

If so they are choosing to ignore the word brief.

You are aware that the reason these measures are being taken is to contain a pandemic.

Many runners are displaying the same selfishness that the Howth day trippers showed which contributed to these measures being taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

You are aware that the reason these measures are being taken is to contain a pandemic.

Define brief?

I had a 30 min run earlier, close to 7km distance, all within 2km of house. Is that all good in your world? Or are you just being contrarian?

I think we are all well aware there is a pandemic, but thanks for the condescension.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I have to say I get great satisfaction from adding on an extra "murder lap" to my run in the half empty park near my house :pac:

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Many runners are displaying the same selfishness that the Howth day trippers showed which contributed to these measures being taken.

I don't think you can compare someone going for a solo run with a group of covidiots playing twister in a chipper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Stark wrote: »
    I have to say I get great satisfaction from adding on an extra "murder lap" to my run in the half empty park near my house.

So the park was half full.....

Advertisement