Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Restrictions are to limit/control the spread of the virus. The issued guidelines on the 2K are open to interputation. For me its more critical to behave in a manner that doesnt endanger you or others

Wash Hands thourghly before going for run
    Bring a buff/hankcerchief from when you cough or have the urge to clear your nose
    Keep a 2M distance between anyone you meet on the run
    Do it at a time that reduces your contact with others
    Dont touch any surface with your hands while out
    Dont touch mouth,nose or eyes (this bit is hard)
    Keep to within 2K of your home
    Wash your hands thourhly when you get home

Wheteher its 30min or 14K been mindful of how it spreads is what will beat this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I think what this whole thing has showed us is that while most of us are reasonable people and are happy to help with playing our part, there is always numpties who want to carry on as usual and just are unwilling to be reasonable.
    Unless you are doing a 14km run on a treadmill in your basement, you are not being reasonable. I don't care how quickly you do it, how much you sweat, when you do it. anything. It does not matter and what if you were the asymptomatic coronavirus carrier, as you leave your sweat on the streets for others to walk over and drag into their home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think what this whole thing has showed us is that while most of us are reasonable people and are happy to help with playing our part, there is always numpties who want to carry on as usual and just are unwilling to be reasonable.
    Unless you are doing a 14km run on a treadmill in your basement, you are not being reasonable. I don't care how quickly you do it, how much you sweat, when you do it. anything. It does not matter and what if you were the asymptomatic coronavirus carrier, as you leave your sweat on the streets for others to walk over and drag into their home.

Unless people have taken to licking the soles of their shoes clean on returning home I don't think there is much to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not to mention that sweat is not considered to be a transmission vector. Maybe leave the guidance to the government/CMO and not Twitter cranks?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

It does not matter and what if you were the asymptomatic coronavirus carrier, as you leave your sweat on the streets for others to walk over and drag into their home.

This is not what any government advice has said, though. The transmission of C19 through sweat hasn't ever been claimed, to my knowledge, except in the context of humidity in gyms being a conducive environment for the virus.

Coughing, spitting, absolutely - and many runners (and cyclists) are divils for spitting. So don't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Stark wrote:
    Not to mention that sweat is not considered to be a transmission vector. Maybe leave the guidance to the government/CMO and not Twitter cranks?

Well they did give guidance of 2km from home. So I guess you could technically run that distance and back until you hit your target, although if we all did this, the roads would be full.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I think what this whole thing has shown us is that there are a lot of self-righteous people who post on the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I did 10km today. Furthest from home was 1.8km. Ran on the road for about 3km due to them being empty and partially to create space to the 3 others out and about at that time.

On the spitting issue, I am ultra careful to choose where, usually into nettles or thorns. If anyone gets that into their system from their then covid19 is the least of their worries.

I'm lucky to live with 3 fairly big parks near me which i can avoid to be fairly alone on my run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Trampas

The anti runners how do you manage to get food during this? Local delivery or shops open especially for you? Or is that you td Ryan and growing your salad on your window ledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I’m lucky enough to have a treadmill at home so will use it and leave as much space on footpaths for others. I was running towards an older lady on Friday and she stopped dead terrified. I ran onto the road in a wide arc as it was empty. This is hard for us all so let’s work together. I know most runners here have the cop on to pick quiet times and locations to run, we don’t want to be slaloming through hordes of people either.

But perhaps we could use this opportunity to do something we often neglect. Work on a S&C routine or try out plyometric exercises at home. maybe there is a chance here to learn something new so when we get back to normal we might actually be better runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

... as you leave your sweat on the streets for others to walk over and drag into their home.

lol

This gave me a good laugh. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Well they did give guidance of 2km from home. So I guess you could technically run that distance and back until you hit your target, although if we all did this, the roads would be full.

It’s 2km radius, so not like you have to run up and down the same 2km road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

"Generally, you need to be 15 minutes or more in the vicinity of an infected person, within 1-2 metres, to be considered at-risk or a close contact"

Might help calm some of you down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I think what this whole thing has shown us is that there are a lot of self-righteous people who post on the Internet.

Well, there's a lot of people who just won't be told what to do isn't there....do 2 wrongs make a right?

Anyway I'll leave you to it, but when you are out for your 14km run think that there are people dying in hospital and people trying to save them. All you have to worry about is going for a run, maybe think you could play a bigger part than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SuspectZero

IvoryTower wrote: »
    "Generally, you need to be 15 minutes or more in the vicinity of an infected person, within 1-2 metres, to be considered at-risk or a close contact"

Might help calm some of you down

This is based on probability, they use the same measure for the flu, doesn't mean you are safe if you only spent 7 minutes with an infected person, just means your risk is much higher the longer a person spends in close contact to someone infected, if someone sneezed/coughed in your face for instance, it would be much shorter. But generally yes, it is much harder to get infected than people think. hence, why even every hospital worker who are closest to infected people don't all get infected so the panic of passing someone in the street is a bit much.

As for the lockdown guidelines on 2km and brief exercise, this is again probability based, If you go to the football field and run for 3 hours with no one around, your risk isn't any higher. If you are are running in a highly population dense area, that might risk would be highly increased at 10 minutes. So I'm not sure what people are freaking out about, they are trying to stop community transmissions, the word community obviously meaning been close to someone. They dont want you to go more than 2k because you might come into contact with other communities and start spreading it intercommunally. And if you never come into contact with another person whether out 10 mins or 10 hours, your risk is pretty much the same as at home, on the other hand, in a big city, you might meet 10 people in 30 minutes but 100 in three hours so more potential to transmit or catch.

They are not going to set a convuluted set of guidelines for these things and it's just a matter of common sense, it's not as black and white as a lot of people make out.

Well, there's a lot of people who just won't be told what to do isn't there....do 2 wrongs make a right?

Anyway I'll leave you to it, but when you are out for your 14km run think that there are people dying in hospital and people trying to save them. All you have to worry about is going for a run, maybe think you could play a bigger part than that.

Chivito could probably run a workout in his driveway #sprinterssavelives

I'm not a distance runner, and the extent of my training right now requires about a 200m stretch on an isolated path or road, but thanks for your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

What is a bigger threat in catching it? 14km run meeting one man his dog or going for milk in your local Tesco's and the likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    What is a bigger threat in catching it? 14km run meeting one man his dog or going for milk in your local Tesco's and the likes?

Going shopping is a necessity. Going for your 14km is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Chivito550 wrote: »

No, a lot of **** spouting ****e on the internet trying to take the moral high ground!!

• Advertisement

Mental health ? That's important and running helps that with people who may have mental health issues

I did 10k today. Closest i got to anyone was in a supermarket afterwards getting food for myself and my 73 year olds parents
    I had to go to the supermarket regardless.

What is a necessity is different for everyone. Social distancing is a necessity. Doesn't matter what you are doing so long as social distancing is adhered to.

I actually get my brother to do all the shopping and drop it at the door, ran 6 miles around the soccer field last night and met not one soul, who is a lower risk of transmission? The person going to the shops or me? you're making such vast generalisation here without even a single thought outside of your agenda.

just a question here, hypothetical but interested in your thoughts. If I was to walk around the sahara now for 5 hours, would I be a selfish **** as you have called it? exercise isn't the problem, social contact is.

If a tree falls in the woods but no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

So, today I selfishly drove to a quiet isolated location 2.7km radius from my house, selfishly passed lots of walkers in the car who I'd have come into close contact with had I opted to stay within the 2km radius, or opted to run or walk down. Found myself a nice stretch where I selfishly did 6 x 200m. Encountered about 6 or 7 people during the time I was there, and selfishly stayed about 3m away from them. I then selfishly drove home. What an ass I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

The depends, are you doing your weekly shop or is it popping down for milk ad bread every morning? Context matters.

Sudden drops in volume and intensity of training can actually negatively affect the immune system also, it's something referred to as a taper cold and is quite common when people ease off prior to a marathon race.

I actually get my brother to do all the shopping and drop it at the door, ran 6 miles around the soccer field last night and met not one soul, who is a lower risk of transmission? The person going to the shops or me? you're making such vast generalisation here without even a single thought outside of your agenda.

just a question here, hypothetical but interested in your thoughts. If I was to walk around the sahara now for 5 hours, would I be a selfish **** as you have called it? exercise isn't the problem, social contact is.

If a tree falls in the woods but no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

I don't have an agenda. I stated fact. Shopping is a necessity, going for a run is not.

The person shopping must take the risk. The person going for a run chooses to take the risk and by doing so risks adding to the problem.

The shopper has no choice.

I don't have an agenda. I stated fact. Shopping is s necesdity, going for a run is not.

The person shopping must take the risk. The person going for a run chooses to take the risk and by doing so risks adding to the problem.

Is going to the off-licence a necessity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I don't have an agenda. I stated fact. Shopping is a necessity, going for a run is not.

So the person suffering from mental health issues, who’s borderline suicidal and who’s been advised to go for a run by his Doctor isn’t necessary. Would you ever disappear back underneath whatever stone you crawled out from under you idiot. You haven’t the first clue what your talking about, clown!!

Going for a run does not add to the risk if social distancing is adhered to.

Exercise has been included as part of the govt guidelines.

Wind your neck in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

SeeMoreBut wrote:

Answer the original question please?

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    So the person suffering from mental health issues, who’s borderline suicidal and who’s been advised to go for a run by his Doctor isn’t necessary. Would you ever disappear back underneath whatever stone you crawled out from under you idiot. You haven’t the first clue what your talking about, clown!!

In that case a run is necessary if the Dr says so but I doubt the Dr would advise 14km given current pandemic and government guidelines.

Your using a case of a Person who is mentally I'll as justification for you taking whatever length run you want.

Advertisement