Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭ooter

main gate is less than 1km away, used to live even closer. i'd be lost without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

ooter wrote: »
    the grass hills beside the magazine fort, could be wrong but I think they're called the munich hills because eamonn Coughlan trained on them for the munich Olympics?

That's right. It's used as a training loop for clubs like Crusaders, Donore and MSB most weekends during the xc season.

phoenix_park.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭ooter

the BHAA do a XC race on it every year and it's a killer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd not been running for a while mainly due to being ill and wanting to prolong that and also wanting to be 100% sure that I'd be ok when I went back running.

In all I went 8 days without any running. I found it very tough as I was working from home I was getting no exercise and not really interacting with anyone at all.

Eventually I went for a 2 mile run on Thursday. I felt great afterwards its amazing what a difference it makes, even just to get out for 20 mins.

I took yesterday off then did the same route again today. I think we are very lucky to be able to do this given other countries in lockdown don't have this opportunity.

Hopefully people respect the spirit of the guidelines and we continue to have the freedom to get out for a short run every day,

I'd encourage everyone to keep trying to get at least some activity in as its a great metal as well as physical boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Had an incident on Saturday in our local park, out walking with my family, my wife with a newborn in a pram and myself behind her with two of the older kids on the main avenue in St. Annes park in Raheny.

A runner refused to give way and ran straight at my wife and the pram leaving her a few mm of room, she was unsure which way to go to avoid him, on to the grass verge or further out to the middle of the avenue, as he ran towards her she realised he wasn't going to give way so she pushed the pram on to the grass to give room, but it was very close and he was sweating and panting hard. There was plenty of room for him to move in to the main avenue, but he was intent on maintaining his course, very tall man, over 6' tall running hard and taking no quarter, a collision would have been very messy.

There were a few comments from other park users about his conduct but there's not much to do or say in these situations, he was gone after a few seconds.

To risky for any of us to get sick with a breast feeding mother, a newborn and other small kids, we're shopping for my elderly parents and our elderly neighbours too so we've abandoned the park for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I assume in his head you cant catch it by running past someone so he doesn't see an issue. Everyone is working off different expectations I guess. I run onto the road myself when I come to people, more so cause not every makes room on the path and I dont want to get near them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I assume in his head you cant catch it by running past someone so he doesn't see an issue. Everyone is working off different expectations I guess. I run onto the road myself when I come to people, more so cause not every makes room on the path and I dont want to get near them

I skateboard in the park with the older kids and as the fitter, faster, more mobile park users we make way and pick up the boards, move to the grass to give quarter for slower moving people be them elders, people with small kids or buggies. Skateboards don't go on grass, but just like you, we make way and keep a respectable distance long before we meet fellow park users to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭4Ad

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Had an incident on Saturday in our local park, out walking with my family, my wife with a newborn in a pram and myself behind her with two of the older kids on the main avenue in St. Annes park in Raheny.

A runner refused to give way and ran straight at my wife and the pram leaving her a few mm of room, she was unsure which way to go to avoid him, on to the grass verge or further out to the middle of the avenue, as he ran towards her she realised he wasn't going to give way so she pushed the pram on to the grass to give room, but it was very close and he was sweating and panting hard. There was plenty of room for him to move in to the main avenue, but he was intent on maintaining his course, very tall man, over 6' tall running hard and taking no quarter, a collision would have been very messy.

There were a few comments from other park users about his conduct but there's not much to do or say in these situations, he was gone after a few seconds.

To risky for any of us to get sick with a breast feeding mother, a newborn and other small kids, we're shopping for my elderly parents and our elderly neighbours too so we've abandoned the park for now.

A f##king dickhead. I bet he is one of those runners that has the left hand twitch, he just has to keep looking at speed, distance,heart rate etc..I'm a runner so I feel like I can comment.
    He's still a dickhead (and bully)..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

IvoryTower wrote:

I'm not sure it matters whether he thinks he will pass it on or not. Even when there isn't a pandemic, if you're running towards a family of buggies, jaysus make an effort to be the proactive one and get out of the way. The guy sounds like a jackass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Despite him being a general idiot in the way he was running through the park by all accounts, on the infecting someone by running past them (if he was even thinking about that which is doubtful) the WHO would agree that it's not going to happen.

https://twitter.com/tomwilliams1974/status/1243987954034520064?s=19

• Advertisement

That's good to know I definitely feel anxious running past people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I don't think people really mind people running, I go running a lot but I might just reduce it to a short walk for the next few weeks. We are all in this together.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That's good to know I definitely feel anxious running past people.

But it is very important that we are seen to be excessively cautious when passing people. Despite the risk of picking it up or passing it on being negligible, by showing extreme caution it serves to make sure that everyone then carries out social distancing in their other interactions as well.

If people think that runners are not taking it seriously then we'll lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I don't think people really mind people running, I go running a lot but I might just reduce it to a short walk for the next few weeks. We are all in this together.

Some do mind people running. You can read it in this very thread. And there was a letter in the Irish Times yesterday from someone complaining about runners in general and claiming they had been bumped into 3 times by runners in a single walk (which I find very hard to believe, to be honest).

I have no doubt that the vast majority of runners are behaving in a completely responsible manner. There will always be d*ckheads out there, but they are small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I have no doubt that the vast majority of runners are behaving in a completely responsible manner. There will always be d*ckheads out there, but they are small minority.

And to add to that there are as many d*ck head regular folk as there are runners. Seems to me we're all getting tarred with the single brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I think this whole thing has shown us there's a lot of dcikheads out there who are like spoiled children who can't accept no as an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

If people don't want people passing them walking or running where they expect the other to take a wide birth onto grass or roads they probably should stay away from areas that have a small footpaths like river walks etc.

If people want to go for runs I think they should make the extra effort and get it done before the mass people are up. Did 14km easy this morning and saw 3 walkers and 1 runner. Only asking for trouble going out later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    If people don't want people passing them walking or running where they expect the other to take a wide birth onto grass or roads they probably should stay away from areas that have a small footpaths like river walks etc.

If people want to go for runs I think they should make the extra effort and get it done before the mass people are up. Did 14km easy this morning and saw 3 walkers and 1 runner. Only asking for trouble going out later in the day.

The advice from Cork County Board applies here. Did you really need to run 14km.

https://www.corkathletics.org/news/1670-editorial-do-you-really-need-to-get-out.html

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

I’m not sure what to do. I feel nervous about going out for a run as I fear it will be frowned upon. I did a long run Friday evening thankfully just before lockdown was announced and rested yesterday. But was due to go for short run today.

R.F. wrote: »
    I’m not sure what to do. I feel nervous about going out for a run as I fear it will be frowned upon. I did a long run Friday evening thankfully just before lockdown was announced and rested yesterday. But was due to go for short run today.

Everyone run/walk but the advice is to keep it brief.

The selfish idiots amongst us think 14km is brief exercise.

• Advertisement

Everyone can run/walk but the advice is to keep it brief.

They don't grasp that the longer you are out running/walking the risk of spread increases due to the fact that you are more likely to have interactions with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Butterbeans

Let people frown, that's on them not you. As long as you adhere to the guidelines and keep a minimum of 2 metres from people you meet, you are perfectly entitled to be out for a run.
    As others have posted also, I give an extra wide berth (as much space as is possible) to anyone I meet when out running. You'll always have some who won't find that acceptable, but again that's their issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The advice from Cork County Board applies here. Did you really need to run 14km.

https://www.corkathletics.org/news/1670-editorial-do-you-really-need-to-get-out.html

Never knew Cork Athletics were the authoritive figures in this country. Think I'll stick to government guidelines.

You didn't answer my previous question by the way.

What is the purpose of going out for a 10 minute run? If people were genuinely being limited to that then it would be better off telling people to not leave the house under any circumstances, food rations would be delivered to your doorstep and the only exercise would be running up and down the stairs.

A 10 minute run is of no use. A half hour walk around the block would be better than a 10 minute run.

robinph wrote: »
    What is the purpose of going out for a 10 minute run? If people were genuinely being limited to that then it would be better off telling people to not leave the house under any circumstances, food rations would be delivered to your doorstep and the only exercise would be running up and down the stairs.

A 10 minute run is of no use. A half hour walk around the block would be better than a 10 minute run.

So take a 30min walk. The reason exercise is allowed in the first place is to keep people healthy and sane. It has not been included in the guidelines so that Training programs be continued.

A 10min run or 30min walk will keep you healthy and sane. We should enjoy it while we can because in the coming weeks Outdoor Exercise will be completely restricted.

There is nothing stopping people exercising in their home for as long as they like.

I like going for a 15km walk or 5km run but it's not possible anymore. If you walk in your home for 2-3hrs you can get some miles in . It's not ideal but in a few weeks this will be the only option people will have.

I plan on doing a fat selfish 10 miles around a football pitch today if I can survive the boredom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

SeeMoreBut wrote: »

The poster who said they went for a 14km run said they got up early and went out when few people were out. That's not selfish. It's perfectly sensible.

How long do you think it takes a lot of people to run 14km? (not me obvs , it takes me half a day :pac:. )

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Consider me selfish, 8.5 mile workout yesterday all within 1km of the house*

*It was 11.30 pm and not another sinner around so I think in terms of risk of transmission probably a little lower than my essential stop at petrol station on the past few days

So take a 30min walk. The reason exercise is allowed in the first place is to keep people healthy and sane. It has not been included in the guidelines so that Training programs be continued.

A 10min run or 30min walk will keep you healthy and sane. We should enjoy it while we can because in the coming weeks Outdoor Exercise will be completely restricted.

There is nothing stopping people exercising in their home for as long as they like.

I like going for a 15km walk or 5km run but it's not possible anymore. If you walk in your home for 2-3hrs you can get some miles in . It's not ideal but in a few weeks this will be the only option people will have.

And the problem with a 30 minute run against a 30 minute walk is?

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    And the problem with a 30 minute run against a 30 minute walk is?

The poster RobinPh said a 30min walk was better than a 10min run so I said take the walk.

The restriction is 2km. It is not 30min.

Advertisement