Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yeah I'm done with this thread. Good luck to ye.

Sorry to see ye go, Sweatlicker! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

What's your point? I never suggested wishing for something will make it happen. I've been in a household for the past two weeks where my daughter has been increasingly frustrated being stuck indoors with ****e weather and some small bit of sunshine let's my wife take the kids out for a walk or play in the garden. As I said, a bit of empathy goes a long way. Pray for rain all you want. Great for you. You get a nice peaceful run where you get the footpath to yourself. The impact is, families who have been stuck inside all day/week don't get a chance to get out for some fresh air.

Put on a raincoat and go for a walk. Some drizzle isn't going to harm you, your wife or your kids. It's not like we are in some kind of monsoon or hurricane!

Not sure where you live, but in Dublin it hasn't rained in over 2 weeks or so, barring one hour the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Got out for 5k at half 5 this morning, only saw one cyclist and 3 cars, was great, going to use all of this to try and take the fastest time for a local Strava segment & run a fast 5k at the end of the month for the Mater foundation virtual run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭micar

jamule wrote: »
    I'll head out of town away from people, pain in me hole with idiots in m'view, its far safer on the streets, even more safer around beamore where theres nobody, plenty of roads (might just go over the 2km though)

I'm running around the fields beyond the football pitches and the past the rugby.

Did about 6 miles yesterday. Those fields beyond the rugby pitches are fine.

Met a handful of people on Friday but loads yesterday. I gave them space and was also given space.

Although you might have to do 2 loops, you'd get miles done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

It must be a town/city thing. I've been running all week out in the sticks where I live any everyone I've met has been friendly, staying away and making an effort to say hello. It's hard enough at the minute without people killing each other. It's simple, you can't control others so just worry about yourself when out and about and enjoy the nice weather and fresh air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Some practical advice that I've found useful for those running in the city.

- Avoid trails where you have nowhere to go but the designated path, where it invariably not wider than 2m and you're like to encounter groups out walking
    - Avoid the nice places where you normally run because they tend to be full of poeple
    - Pick a clockwise loop where you can keep on the right hand side of the road and jump on the road or bike lane when necessary.
    - Don't be stubborn and stop if there is oncoming traffic and you can't avoid another pedestrian/runner. Hand signal that you're waiting for a car/bus/cyclist to go by so you can move on to the road as you have the best visual of the oncoming traffic.

I've been doing this and finding it relatively hassle free to avoid sub 2m contact. I do miss my trails around UCD and my Sunday morning long runs though

Also, running over a speed bump yesterday, I was hit with a deep racing nostalgia :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

pconn062 wrote: »
    It must be a town/city thing. I've been running all week out in the sticks where I live any everyone I've met has been friendly, staying away and making an effort to say hello. It's hard enough at the minute without people killing each other. It's simple, you can't control others so just worry about yourself when out and about and enjoy the nice weather and fresh air.

For sure, before the latest restrictions there were plenty of scobies from the council estates in town out in the nearby woods.
    Glad to see the back of them now. Looked like they were raring for a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

but your missing the point that you could spread the virus or pick it up. Many people are asymptomatic and if you were there's a possibility of spreading it when outside.

When it comes to people on a run thats horseshit and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

You think that because your Aerobically fit it's fine for you to run outside because your fitness will keep you out of hospital and not burden the system ......

"you're"

Let's not let our education fail us.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

micar wrote: »
    I'm running around the fields beyond the football pitches and the past the rugby.

Did about 6 miles yesterday. Those fields beyond the rugby pitches are fine.

Met a handful of people on Friday but loads yesterday. I gave them space and was also given space.

Although you might have to do 2 loops, you'd get miles done.

yeah was down around a few times , plenty of fields around to avoid people, farmers will have most planted by now too so tracks are fairly even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

And now its raining, we had to go and say it didnt we(me)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

"you're"

Are you a snob as well as everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

"you're"

Sure they was referring to mentally ill people earlier in the thread as mentally I’ll!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Lol

Every Corona related thread is toxic as **** but I cant stay away either, nothing better to be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Pick a clockwise loop where you can keep on the right hand side of the road and jump on the road or bike lane when necessary.

Route direction doesn't matter. You can just run on the right hand side for this reason anyway.

I was able to do most of Harts corner to the top of mobhi Road in the city centre bound bus lane this moring.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

IvoryTower wrote: »
    And now its raining, we had to go and say it didnt we(me)

I did a rain dance earlier.

(Brief rain dance within my 2km radius of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

pconn062 wrote: »
    It must be a town/city thing.

Well, there's a lot more people in cities than there is in rural areas and a lot more apartment dwellers or people with no gardens to speak of.
    The parks carparks are closed, but there's a constant stream of people driving to the park to go for a jog and bring their families for some fresh air. I'm seeing them pull up all day and head in to St. Annes Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just caught up with this thread after a couple of days. Great stuff, really enjoyable read. Bonus to have a few former regular contributors back too.

A thread on social distancing bringing us back together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Out yesterday evening (first time out that wasn't morning) and saw more people in 15 minutes than did in all my other morning runs. Back to early morning runs this morning and will continue that way as much as possible.

Out this morning and on a path just less than 2 metres wide so I hope down onto the road as coming across older lady walking towards me to give her plenty of space. No cars around. She ends up crossing the road and putting her scarf across her face while I pass her from a mile away. Takes it off her face after I pass.

If she's that worried about she should get a mask

If she's that worried she should stay at home

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Seen two runners about an an hour ago in Clonskeagh getting the riot act read to them by the Gardai just nearly opposite the Mosque there. No idea what happened but the Gardai where not holding back raised voices and all.

Did they have shorts on over tights by any chance :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Route direction doesn't matter. You can just run on the right hand side for this reason anyway.

I was able to do most of Harts corner to the top of mobhi Road in the city centre bound bus lane this moring.

Yea, of course you can run on the right hand side of the road at any time. Its just a little easier if you go clockwise so you're on the inside track and have less roads to cross.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Did they have shorts on over tights by any chance :):):)

What's wrong with that!!! :)

Casey78 wrote: »
    What's wrong with that!!! :)

In the old days that would have been called a "mortaler", in other words a mortal sin. It is just not the done thing my man or woman !!.

It's just as bad as trying to get into the tent at the Donadea 50k wearing compression gear :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I did see two lads out running today side by side. Looked very much like both were not related, or from same family...hope none of you boardsies are at that crack...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

walshb wrote: »
    I did see two lads out running today side by side. Looked very much like both were not related, or from same family...hope none of you boardsies are at that crack...

Could have been husband and husband?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

sideswipe wrote: »
    Could have been husband and husband?

Of course....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Yea, of course you can run on the right hand side of the road at any time. Its just a little easier if you go clockwise so you're on the inside track and have less roads to cross.

Given the traffic volumes I've seen, road running for half of a 10k is possible and I'm running in d9/11 area

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Shorts over tights, GAA Gear, hurl, sliotar, no training, within 2km of where he lives..

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0405/1128624-mayo-hurler-ppe/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Given the traffic volumes I've seen, road running for half of a 10k is possible and I'm running in d9/11 area

I run in the D9/11 area as well and am managing to get most of the running done on road or quiet paths. At the same time it has to be said that its far easier to do it when running a right turning loop. I have been running in the early afternoon and haven't encountered any problems really. The biggest problem I find is people chatting across a footpath instead of both standing on the kerb or inner side while still keeping distance from each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

sideswipe wrote: »
    Just caught up with this thread after a couple of days. Great stuff, really enjoyable read. Bonus to have a few former regular contributors back too.

A thread on social distancing bringing us back together.

Hey, keep two metres apart here.

Advertisement