Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

sideswipe wrote: »
    Just caught up with this thread after a couple of days. Great stuff, really enjoyable read. Bonus to have a few former regular contributors back too.

A thread on social distancing bringing us back together.

Hey, keep two metres apart here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I looked up the Strava Flybys after my 2 weekend runs and I have to admit to being very surprised at seeing the number of cyclists and runners totally ignoring the 2km guideline. It'll backfire on us all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭bikeman1

walshb wrote:
    I did see two lads out running today side by side. Looked very much like both were not related, or from same family...hope none of you boardsies are at that crack...

I was out for a run today with my boyfriend (gay) and we ran the 5k pretty much side by side. We share the same bed, so pointless to keep 2m apart while running!

I can see how someone might perceive us as not being from the same household!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

bikeman1 wrote: »
    I was out for a run today with my boyfriend (gay) and we ran the 5k pretty much side by side. We share the same bed, so pointless to keep 2m apart while running!

Ignorance on everyone’s part to.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Sussex18

Would a Hygee (not sure if spelling is correct?) headband that I frequently wear while running make an effective face mask if I pulled it up over my mouth? Usually go into a shop at the end my run for a few essentials. No social distancing there today. People would have walked right into me if I didn't duck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I looked up the Strava Flybys after my 2 weekend runs and I have to admit to being very surprised at seeing the number of cyclists and runners totally ignoring the 2km guideline. It'll backfire on us all...

Part of me doesn't like the brigade of people out watching for every little mis-step made by others before piling in on them - thats a sad aspect of our society I'll never understand.

But there are a very small cohort of people blindly ignoring the 2km radius by a huge factor each and every day (and posting their "brilliant" runs on Strava)
    I miss the Phoenix Park as much as others but some people just take the pi$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Thank God for the BCG.
    We will be running marathons yet this year, all thanks to Dr. Noel Browne.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

bikeman1 wrote: »

That's fine. You are a couple, living together....

Can't know for certain, but the lads I saw looked a lot more like mates, than dates....

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Sussex18

Seen something about the bcg..

I'm a sceptic though regarding marathons this year. I don't see how even in September or October you can have any large events. There might be a chance of MCI events where social distancing might be possibile. But i can't see how any big events can happen this year. I looked on track for a good marathon in May. It's been postponed until October but I'm not expecting it. Hope I'm wrong, something unexpected might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wouldn't get your hopes up about BCG. All they're basing that on is correlation in countries like Japan that had low rates of covi-19 and high rates of BCG vaccination. But of course there are ****loads of confounding variables. Much better hygiene practices in Japan, culture of face mask wearing, previous experience of dealing with SARS epidemic etc. I'd be very surprised if anything comes of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not expecting London Marathon to happen and have just changed our hotel booking. But booked for the weekend of half term with the intention of either take the kid around a museum if things are safer to do by then (highly unlikely), or then change the booking again in October to be for April 2021.

London Marathon have said in their latest email that there will be an update later in the week regarding deferrals and such like, if they give any details on the entry system for 2021 then that may change my plans for October and if I go in search of a smaller event or not. Really can't see how by October we won't be still in some form of distancing and mass gatherings restrictions, or in fresh restrictions after a second wave kicks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Stark wrote: »
    I wouldn't get your hopes up about BCG. All they're basing that on is correlation in countries like Japan that had low rates of covi-19 and high rates of BCG vaccination. But of course there are ****loads of confounding variables. Much better hygiene practices in Japan, culture of face mask wearing, previous experience of dealing with SARS epidemic etc. I'd be very surprised if anything comes of it.

Portugal and Norway would be the ones in Europe to watch for us.
    Still however you weigh up the stats to date there are trends there for countries without a BCG program vs countries who did have one.

Bar the terrible nursing home outbreaks here we are completely on top of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Part of me doesn't like the brigade of people out watching for every little mis-step made by others before piling in on them - thats a sad aspect of our society I'll never understand.

But there are a very small cohort of people blindly ignoring the 2km radius by a huge factor each and every day (and posting their "brilliant" runs on Strava)
    I miss the Phoenix Park as much as others but some people just take the pi$$.

Just to clarify that I wasn't looking out for Mis-steps :o Flybys is something I regularly look at to see who the random runners that pass me in either direction might be. :pac:

Portugal and Norway would be the ones in Europe to watch for us.
    Still however you weigh up the stats to date there are trends there for countries without a BCG program vs countries who did have one.

Bar the terrible nursing home outbreaks here we are completely on top of this.

Brazil is another one for us to watch. There is definitely trends there on the BCG front.

robinph wrote: »
    Not expecting London Marathon to happen and have just changed our hotel booking. But booked for the weekend of half term with the intention of either take the kid around a museum if things are safer to do by then (highly unlikely), or then change the booking again in October to be for April 2021.

London Marathon have said in their latest email that there will be an update later in the week regarding deferrals and such like, if they give any details on the entry system for 2021 then that may change my plans for October and if I go in search of a smaller event or not. Really can't see how by October we won't be still in some form of distancing and mass gatherings restrictions, or in fresh restrictions after a second wave kicks off.

I agree with you. I don't think we will see any sport till 2021 in Ireland or Uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Traveling to large type events won't happen until at least September.....

I'd say 2021 is when we get back to real events and competing...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Anyone notice there's been a semi drought in Ireland for the past 4 weeks? It barely rains, only a bit drizzly yesterday. Bad weather is excellent for driving dog owners indoors along with most other people, it makes runs less nerve wracking having to avoid people and badly trained dogs (who reflect their owners' personalities).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I agree with you. I don't think we will see any sport till 2021 in Ireland or Uk.

I reckon DCM won't happen this year.
    I wonder if it doesn't will they run two Marathons next year, as in one maybe in February and then the usual in October.

Anyone notice there's been a semi drought in Ireland for the past 4 weeks? It barely rains, only a bit drizzly yesterday. Bad weather is excellent for driving dog owners indoors along with most other people, it makes runs less nerve wracking having to avoid people and badly trained dogs (who reflect their owners' personalities).

Ssh, you'll upset SweatLicker again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

While out for a loop from my house today, saw a runner coming towards me (on the opposite side of the road) wearing a pair of those day glo Nike runners. Don't they have a very short life span so wonder why you'd use/waste them in the current conditions. To be fair he was trying a lot harder than me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭junebabies

Does anyone think the Cross country season will go ahead this year?

Casey78 wrote: »
    I reckon DCM won't happen this year.
    I wonder if it doesn't will they run two Marathons next year, as in one maybe in February and then the usual in October.

I would think only one next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just to clarify that I wasn't looking out for Mis-steps :o Flybys is something I regularly look at to see who the random runners that pass me in either direction might be. :pac:

wasn't getting at you S - I use flybys myself - and a comment on Boards doesn't constitute entry into the Brigade :pac:

Just supporting your supposition with some direct evidence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Today briefing, the CMO was asked about joggers/runners.

Said the social distancing is imperative and should not be running with anyone not from same household. Otherwise just be vigilant with social distancing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

The 30 minute walk distinction is interesting!

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1247136339952353282?s=20

Good news for the likes of Rob Heffernan or Olive Loughnane!

What about driving to a location to do your run/walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

Sacksian wrote: »
    The 30 minute walk distinction is interesting!

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1247136339952353282?s=20

If they are looking to be more precise, that doesn't help. The way I read is that you can be 30 mins from your house...I.e. in total an hour's walk. (Assuming straight out and back). But the lazy reader might read it as 30 min total.

Based on that. Thread to go to 100++ pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

junebabies wrote: »
    What about driving to a location to do your run/walk?

Not allowed. 2km from your home, they have been clear about that since the restrictions were introduced.

• Advertisement

Not allowed. 2km from your home, they have been clear about that since the restrictions were introduced.

That's what I thought, people definitely not sticking to this!!

Advertisement