Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭junebabies

crisco10 wrote: »
    If they are looking to be more precise, that doesn't help. The way I read is that you can be 30 mins from your house...I.e. in total an hour's walk. (Assuming straight out and back). But the lazy reader might read it as 30 min total.

Based on that. Thread to go to 100++ pages.

I'm a lazy reader 😂. So is it 30min total or 30min out and back so an hour??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

junebabies wrote: »
    That's what I thought, people definitely not sticking to this!!

Yup, they closed the car park by the main entrance to my local park and it was nice and quiet for a while but now people have figured out that there's another entrance in my estate and the estate is now clogged up with non-local cars and the park is busy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Not allowed. 2km from your home, they have been clear about that since the restrictions were introduced.

2k radius, this is means the straightest line from your home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,171 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

Someone earlier in the thread predicted Hi-viz being suggested as a cure all for joggers, it made it into the IT letters today. Not sure what it would achieve.

I'm getting a little concerned at this latest polarisation, it is the new Cyclists v Motorists.
    A chara, – Up to 50 per cent of joggers I am seeing are not adhering to the two-metre guideline from the HSE when overtaking pedestrians.

It is disturbing watching some of them puffing and panting as they approach a pedestrian from behind and then brush shoulders as they overtake.

May I suggest to the HSE, that it tells all joggers they must wear high-vis clothing and must get on to to the road and provide the two-metre space when overtaking.

If a car is coming and it is too dangerous to get on the road, they should either stop or jog on the spot. – Is mise,

Someone earlier in the thread predicted Hi-viz being suggested as a cure all for joggers, it made it into the IT letters today. Not sure what it would achieve.

Same thing it would "achieve" for cyclists. Adding more friction to the process in the hopes that a significant number of people will be put off running because they don't have a hi-vis to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Q on jogging at briefing yesterday at 16m CMO said make sure you keep the 2m distance https://www.pscp.tv/w/1MYxNkXdPpQKw

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Advertisement

I'm getting a little concerned at this latest polarisation, it is the new Cyclists v Motorists.

Stupid person, but I do believe the IT makes these up.

A lot of walkers not obeying the rules for sure.

Anyone out running not obeying the rules, please change your way and obey them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's that those motorists are no longer in their cars, so the cyclists now have the road to themselves, and the former frustrated car drivers need someone else to have a go at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

robinph wrote: »
    It's that those motorists are no longer in their cars, so the cyclists now have the road to themselves, and the former frustrated car drivers need someone else to have a go at.

Ah yes, the same motorists who will tail gate you to make it known their displeasure that you are driving slightly under the speed limit while they overtake and bomb along at 80 kph or more down a 60 kph road.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

For runners is that an valid exemption for not wearing it?

Why would you need an exemption from something that is neither a requirement nor an obligation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Ah yes, the same motorists who will tail gate you to make it known their displeasure that you are driving slightly under the speed limit while they overtake and bomb along at 80 kph or more down a 60 kph road.

Absolutely love trolling this type by putting the cruise control to exactly 60km/h in a 60km/h long stretch of road.

On this "jogger" thing, are you exempt from hi-vi's if you are running or sprinting? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Chivito550 wrote: »
    On this "jogger" thing, are you exempt from hi-vi's if you are running or sprinting? :)

Depends on if you are measuring this by speed or form ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Trampas

Stark wrote: »
    Why would you need an exemption from something that is neither a requirement nor an obligation?

I think he was joking about exemption

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I see France have banned all outdoor exercise during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Casey78 wrote: »

That's not going to happen here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

Jeez,that's grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

That's not going to happen here.

Why?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

As in it is okay at night???

Yes, looks like the ban only applies between the hours of 10am and 7pm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That seems like such an odd rule. Would everyone not be out together between 8am and 10am and then 7pm to 9pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Trash paper.

Trash paper maybe but his sentiment is spot on to be fair.

Trash paper maybe but his sentiment is spot on to be fair.

It's behind a paywall so I couldn't read all of it but what I could read was a grown man using a national newspaper platform to bully someone for being too old and too overweight to take up exercising. Is that the sentiment you're applauding?
    I saw him thundering down the narrow footpath in my direction. A bulky man who won't see 45 again unless it has a P in front of it, he was truly struggling.

The particular exercise he was engaged in could be broadly and benignly called jogging but it seemed to have more to do with ritualistic masochism than useful exercise. He was obviously working on the principle that if he was really in pain and miserable he must be doing something worthwhile. Suffer little children and all of that.

I always thought that pounding your joints on concrete had about as much to do with a healthy lifestyle as habitually snacking on spice bags and lager. But to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

France hasn't banned outdoor exercise during the day.

Paris has individual exercise during the daytime. The rules apply only to people jogging or taking other exercise, not to dog walkers or people taking a short walk with members of their household.

My cousin is a Parisian athlete and told me this was happening in the parks all the time...
    Supercell wrote: »
    Actually was thinking this exact thought yesterday in the park as i swerved around dog walkers, prams and erratic children on bikes

People were getting pissed off at runners swerving around kids, families, insisting on using busy parks instead of empty roads and playing fields at peak times when families were out during waking hours of kids... there were enough complaints and observations from the cops so they banned it.

Voilà

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

John_Rambo wrote: »
    People were getting pissed off at runners swerving around kids, families, insisting on using busy parks instead of empty roads and playing fields at peak times when families were out during waking hours of kids... there were enough complaints and observations from the cops so they banned it.
    I don't really understand that sentiment.
    When I'm out for a run I can plot a course that keeps my 2 meters distance easy enough - much easier as a lone runner than a family with kids can do, and much easier in a park than on narrow footpaths.

If I'm going to get Covid-19 I want to go into it with decent aerobic health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I wouldn't go near a park to run at the moment. Leave them to families and people out for a walk it's easier not to have to weave through people by trying to find somewhere not frequented by walkers and families- I know it's not always possible and depends on location, it just makes sense to try. I've seen people on my strava feed doing multiple laps of places you know are going to be very busy, one lad yesterday in the lovely weather decided it would be a good idea to do a session of 400's at 11am on a very busy seaside section of footpath doing out and backs, that's just not using common decency, and is against the spirt of 'being in this together'.

Advertisement