Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Yeah, point made and point taken. We've started to herd the kids and veer off on to the grass when a jogger come towards us or behind us. Not ideal with a pram, but it's not worth a collision or the hassle.

There has to be a give and take out there. When I walk with the wife and kids on their bikes, if I come across anyone we go in a single line, wait at the small bridges etc, I expect others to be the same.

When I run, I run on my own and move out early on to give people sight of what side I am on.

But why do people have chats across pathways or before an exit gate etc. If you want a chat, move off the pathway. Its pretty simple.I

• Registered Users Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Another good point, people need to be mindful of joggers and consider where they stop to chat to their friends and neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Think this is general across all walks of life, there is a small percentage of **sholes everywhere. Went down to the running track (luckily I live only 1km from the track) to do reps yesterday and 2 GAA heads were doing sprints with there coach - all 3 huddled together chatting between reps but worse than that stopped and chatting in lane 1, had to call out for them to move twice but even at that they barely moved leaving me barely a body width gap to pass - absolute spanners for both social distancing and track etiquette!!

People are bored, stressed and anxious so looking for a scape goat to be angry at and runners are easy picking (now that cyclists are generally off the road we're next in line). Can see more articles from trash media lambasting runners in the coming weeks - time to keep Strava private!!

On a side note I posted before about keeping in the spirit of all this and not going out for more than an hour of a run onlt if it was really needed, I've now changed my tune for a number of reasons
    - Speaking with frontline worker friends during the week (Garda & Nurse), the spirit of the lockdown is to keep people in the confines of the community to stop the spread and to avoid contact where possible - going for a run at 6 or 7am is not going to affect this (running in a busy park would still be a no-no)
    - My own mental health is calling for me to go for a f*%$ off long run! Had a stressful week and need to blow off some steam (like everyone else in the country (was going to go to the offie the other night - that's way worse than going for an early morning long run
    - Stockshares agreed with me ;).
    - I am a running addict

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

BKWDR wrote: »
    Runners are starting to sound like cyclists....

Just kidding.

Am I?

Too soon?

It is pretty much the same tiresome debates now that the hack media has moved on from cyclists to a new target.

I expect next week we'll have anecdotes of runners not waiting for the green man when crossing the road and not wearing hi-viz when they're running round the park sneezing and coughing on everyone.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Think this is general across all walks of life, there is a small percentage of **sholes everywhere. Went down to the running track (luckily I live only 1km from the track) to do reps yesterday and 2 GAA heads were doing sprints with there coach - all 3 huddled together chatting between reps but worse than that stopped and chatting in lane 1, had to call out for them to move twice but even at that they barely moved leaving me barely a body width gap to pass - absolute spanners for both social distancing and track etiquette!!

People are bored, stressed and anxious so looking for a scape goat to be angry at and runners are easy picking (now that cyclists are generally off the road we're next in line). Can see more articles from trash media lambasting runners in the coming weeks - time to keep Strava private!!

On a side note I posted before about keeping in the spirit of all this and not going out for more than an hour of a run onlt if it was really needed, I've now changed my tune for a number of reasons
    - Speaking with frontline worker friends during the week (Garda & Nurse), the spirit of the lockdown is to keep people in the confines of the community to stop the spread and to avoid contact where possible - going for a run at 6 or 7am is not going to affect this (running in a busy park would still be a no-no)
    - My own mental health is calling for me to go for a f*%$ off long run! Had a stressful week and need to blow off some steam (like everyone else in the country (was going to go to the offie the other night - that's way worse than going for an early morning long run
    - I am a running addict

Which track is still open?

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Which track is still open?

St. Coca's - council owned an is always open - always windy af tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭ooter

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Distancing aside, it seems a lot more younger Americans are dying than Chinese and one of the reasons put forward is obesity and unfitness.

vaping is huge in the states, I honestly think that's a factor in the younger deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Out jogging this morning and I was running towards a couple who seem to think it's totally fine for each of them to walk on opposite sides of the path. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Stark wrote: »
    It is pretty much the same tiresome debates now that the hack media has moved on from cyclists to a new target.

I expect next week we'll have anecdotes of runners not waiting for the green man when crossing the road and not wearing hi-viz when they're running round the park sneezing and coughing on everyone.

Think this "article" is only missing the traffic light issue:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/coronavirus-joggers-not-social-distancing-risk-becoming-hate-figures-alastair-dalton-2526953

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

robinph wrote: »

Love how they describe the park run (I assume) as a weekly event and moan about amount of people running past them..the idea of going for their weekly Saturday park walk a little earlier or later to avoid the "event" runners apparently escapes them, instead they are surprised when donning a high vis jacket doesn't scare the event runners off!, the mind boggles.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Supercell wrote: »
    Love how they describe the park run (I assume) as a weekly event and moan about amount of people running past them..the idea of going for their weekly Saturday park walk a little earlier or later to avoid the "event" runners apparently escapes them, instead they are surprised when donning a high vis jacket doesn't scare the event runners off!, the mind boggles.

Someone determined to find something to be offended by is surprised at having found something to be offended by shock headline. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

- I am a running addict

I don't think I agreed with you on going to the Offie or going on a long run. I agreed with the spirit of your previous post.

Regarding the Gaa heads, you should report them, there's not supposed to be any GAA group training or any group running by any people and the way they behaved was dangerous to you. They will only put others in danger if they haven't already done so if you don't.

I don't think I agreed with you on going to the Offie or going on a long run. I agreed with the spirit of your previous post.

Regarding the Gaa heads, you should report them, there's not supposed to be any GAA group training or any group running by any people and the way they behaved was dangerous to you. They will only put others in danger if they haven't already done so if you don't.

Meh, couldn't prove they were group training or not part of the same household, no point getting riled up about it as in the end, they'll still be spanners and I'd just be angry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Loads of people out walking now makes running more dodging in and out . Grass areas the only way if you have them, or Give us Rain!

brutes1 wrote: »
    Loads of people out walking now makes running more dodging in and out . Grass areas the only way if you have them, or Give us Rain!

Hah, the two things I miss which I never thought I'd miss: dark evenings and rain to keep all the fair weather folks indoors.

Somehow I've a feeling we're going to have Leaving Cert weather for the duration of this pandemic.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

brutes1 wrote: »

Actually was thinking this exact thought yesterday in the park as i swerved around dog walkers, prams and erratic children on bikes, please give us a spot of rain so they can go back to their sofas and I can run in peace again! Have never ever seen the park as busy as the last couple of weeks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Supercell wrote: »
    Actually was thinking this exact thought yesterday in the park as i swerved around dog walkers, prams and erratic children on bikes, please give us a spot of rain so they can go back to their sofas and I can run in peace again! Have never ever seen the park as busy as the last couple of weeks.

I avoid parks mostly. I find residential areas very quiet between 10am and midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 backofthepack

Cycle lanes are a godsend at the moment. I run on the side of the road facing the traffic and dip into the cycle lane when someone approaching.

So far I've only experienced good reactions, smile and a nod and most people giving each other space. Although why people stand and have a horizontal conversation across the path i don't understand.
    Makes it difficult for anyone to get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Out yesterday evening (first time out that wasn't morning) and saw more people in 15 minutes than did in all my other morning runs. Back to early morning runs this morning and will continue that way as much as possible.

Out this morning and on a path just less than 2 metres wide so I hope down onto the road as coming across older lady walking towards me to give her plenty of space. No cars around. She ends up crossing the road and putting her scarf across her face while I pass her from a mile away. Takes it off her face after I pass.

If she's that worried about she should get a mask

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Wouldn't be wishing rain on anyone especially just to serve our selfish runner needs. I'm seeing first hand what it's like for someone being stuck inside all day with kids. For a lot of people, getting out for the walk is the only respite and break from the monotony of being indoors all day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Cycle lanes are a godsend at the moment. I run on the side of the road facing the traffic and dip into the cycle lane when someone approaching.

Cycling lanes are always a god send for running seeing as cyclists never use them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Out jogging this morning and I was running towards a couple who seem to think it's totally fine for each of them to walk on opposite sides of the path. :rolleyes:

They may not live together are are social distancing from each other. Careful about being judgemental

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Out yesterday evening (first time out that wasn't morning) and saw more people in 15 minutes than did in all my other morning runs. Back to early morning runs this morning and will continue that way as much as possible.

Out this morning and on a path just less than 2 metres wide so I hope down onto the road as coming across older lady walking towards me to give her plenty of space. No cars around. She ends up crossing the road and putting her scarf across her face while I pass her from a mile away. Takes it off her face after I pass.

If she's that worried about she should get a mask

Maybe you could stay in. The old lady needs to be out far more than you. It's an inconvenience for you to stay in but if you are out you could walk instead. For old people getting out us vital for their health and mind. You can cope but many if them can't cope with isolation.

For many a walk is their only opportunity for social contact (although those iwith health conditions have been told to stay in altogether).

Instead you want her to put herself out and get a mask to cope with meeting runners.

Oh give it a rest will you. She had the footpath, he had the road, no reason they both can't have their exercise.

Maybe you could stay in. The old lady needs to be out far more than you. .

Is she’s 70 or older she’s meant to be cocooning

ted1 wrote: »
    Is she’s 70 or older she’s meant to be cocooning

I did say the elderly with health conditions were told to be inside but I should have said >=70yrs..

What if she's 69 with no health conditions. That person needs to be out far more than a runner getting miles in.

Does backpedalling count as exercise? If so, you should stop it

What if she's 69 with no health conditions. That person needs to be out far more than a runner getting miles in.

Are you a 69 year old lady ?

Why would you think that ? How does she get social contact while walking? She needs to social distance
    I’d usually cycle 300km a week run about 20km and swim 5k.

Going cold turkey wouldn’t be good for health or mind. I think I need to get some miles in over someone who has changed my heir daily routine of a walk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Casey78 wrote: »
    Went for my run last night at it is pretty obvious there are plenty out running who have never run before! Not talking about overweight people either, but it's easy to spot those that running may not be something they do regularly...

Dangling headphones, phone in hand, long trousers, carrying water?

Laughing to myself at the amount of these I've spotted.

A harmless laugh, it's good to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Trolls giving out about runners. Runners giving out about walkers. Walkers complaining about runners and other pedestrians. Jibes about cyclists. Runners giving out about walkers giving out about runners. Everyone giving out about trolls. For once no one giving out about motorists.

End of days. :rolleyes:

Advertisement