Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭micar

Casey78 wrote: »
    Cycling lanes are always a god send for running seeing as cyclists never use them anyway!

Oh....FFS ......more bull$h1te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

:)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Trolls giving out about runners. Runners giving out about walkers. Walkers complaining about runners and other pedestrians. Jibes about cyclists. Runners giving out about walkers giving out about runners. Everyone giving out about trolls. For once no one giving out about motorists.

End of days. :rolleyes:

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

micar wrote: »

U ok hun?

Lazare wrote: »
    Dangling headphones, phone in hand, long trousers, carrying water?

Laughing to myself at the amount of these I've spotted.

A harmless laugh, it's good to see.

Ah yeah it's great to see, it is funny though.
    Sure look we were all there ourselves at one time. First run I ever did was in a tracksuit bottom, Liverpool jersey and runners that definitely weren't meant for running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Had two separate women say thank you to me and smile yesterday for giving them the path and running on the road.

We're getting a lot of grief folks, but we're doing the right thing.

Runners tend to go out of their way for people, we're just doing that literally now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Cycling lanes are always a god send for running seeing as cyclists never use them anyway!

I'm not a cyclist at all, but the reason I don't cycle is because the cycling infrastructure is laughable here. In many places cars have to drive into the cycle lanes as the road isn't wide enough. Then there's the blatant disregard for cycle lanes. Muppets park their cars across cycle lanes outside Broadford Rovers Football Club in Ballinteer ALL THE TIME. I'm happy to name and shame.

A Dutch friend of mine lived here for 4 years. He cycled everywhere as that's what he's used to back home. On a scale of 0 being somewhere in Uganda to 10 being Amsterdam, he put Dublin at 6 in places and 3 in many other places. He said he lost count of the amount of times he nearly got knocked down.

I cycled in Amsterdam and it was pure bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

micar wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. Such insightful anecdotes. For some people at least there's always someone else they can bash.

Jesus it was a tongue in cheek comment calm the feck down ffs. I'm a cyclist myself.
    This lockdown is turning everyone very sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

This lockdown is turning everyone very sensitive.

I take great offence to that.... I’ve always been very sensitive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Maybe you could stay in. The old lady needs to be out far more than you. It's an inconvenience for you to stay in but if you are out you could walk instead. For old people getting out us vital for their health and mind. You can cope but many if them can't cope with isolation.

For many a walk is their only opportunity for social contact (although those iwith health conditions have been told to stay in altogether).

Instead you want her to put herself out and get a mask to cope with meeting runners.

How do you know she needs to be out more than me or anyone. I gave her more than enough room but she wanted to more and if she is so scared to catch anything then maybe a mask is what she needs or walk around her garden. I presume you've not left your home in weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

I have no issues with runners but they seem to have an issue with me. There is a football pitch used my all especially those trying to keep distance and runners seem to think walkers need to move out of their way despite havering an entire football field to run on. Morons. . One guy forced me off the path the other day. Now I tend to bring a heavy dog lead with me which I swing in a 2 meter circle over my head. This appears to work especially when I attach my keys to the end of it.

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    I presume you've not left your home in weeks.

I assume he'd like to see more but

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    I have no issues with runners but ... . Now I tend to bring a heavy dog lead with me which I swing in a 2 meter circle over my head. This appears to work especially when I attach my keys to the end of it.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

adrian522 wrote: »
    :confused:

or
    I have no issues with walkers but they seem to have an issue with me. There is a football pitch used by all especially those trying to keep distance and walkers seem to think runners need to move out of their way despite havering an entire football field to run on. Morons. . One guy forced me off the path the other day..

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Had two separate women say thank you to me and smile yesterday for giving them the path and running on the road.

We're getting a lot of grief folks, but we're doing the right thing.

Runners tend to go out of their way for people, we're just doing that literally now.

Same here, was out this morning and hopped onto the road to give a couple walking their dogs a wide berth, got a big smile and "keep it going" cheer which was nice.
    Making more of an effort to smile and say hello to people, God knows we all need a bit of creepiness these days.
    Went out at 7am today and only passed 10 people, if you want to keep ur distance it's the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Big whoopa guys. If you're running it's your obligation to give walkers a wide berth. Are walker's supposed to jump out of your way? Won't be getting any claps or thank you from me for doing what you should be doing in the first place. You shouldn't need validation as a motivation to do what's proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Big whoopa guys. If you're running it's your obligation to give walkers a wide berth. Are walker's supposed to jump out of your way? Won't be getting any claps or thank you from me for doing what you should be doing in the first place. You shouldn't need validation as a motivation to do what's proper.

Feck, I must have missed that small print about obligations when I signed my 'Now You Are A Runner' contract. Must contact my solicitor...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

cjt156 wrote: »
    Feck, I must have missed that small print about obligations when I signed my 'Now You Are A Runner' contract. Must contact my solicitor...

What, you didn't read it?

Let me guess, you missed the fashion guidelines clause as well.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Just back from 8m on a lovely weekend morning.
    Plenty of older folk out for a walk too, fair play to them.
    Carpe diem folks, f*ck the fatties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Walkers absolutely should make an effort and it you have a family with you make room on the path for walkers/runners coming through

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It is logical that in pedestrian areas those moving faster should take action to avoid others rather than ploughing through.

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    How do you know she needs to be out more than me or anyone. I gave her more than enough room but she wanted to more and if she is so scared to catch anything then maybe a mask is what she needs or walk around her garden. I presume you've not left your home in weeks.
    I assume he'd like to see more but

Pic of a WW2 Soldier carrying a Donkey. He had to because the field was mined. If the donkey ran loose he would get everybody killed. In extremis the first ones you have to keep under control are the donkeys who don't understand the danger and do as they please.

https://images.app.goo.gl/5SBtq9QZHssCBHXM7

DM_7 wrote: »
    It is logical that in pedestrian areas those moving faster should take action to avoid others rather than ploughing through.

And as we have seen in the thread everyone is making that effort but the paths are for walking and running, people should try make room, especially if there are cars on the road. You dont own the path just cause you're walking. Effort should be made on both sides, no point assuming someone out for a run doesn't need a slither of the footpath if theres a bus coming on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭ooter

I wonder how many of these holier than thou walkers regularly walk on the cycle path?
    the amount of people I see committing this crime in my local park on a daily basis is unreal.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    And as we have seen in the thread everyone is making that effort but the paths are for walking and running, people should try make room, especially if there are cars on the road. You dont own the path just cause you're walking. Effort should be made on both sides, no point assuming someone out for a run doesn't need a slither of the footpath if theres a bus coming on the road

I get your point, If everyone has common sense and courtesy then there is no issue and the fact someone is going a bit faster does not mean they are not equal.

Sadly a lot of idiots are out there, unrelated I saw a guy stuffing gloves into a drain today outside of a shop instead of walking to a bin a few strides away. This is why I assume bad things of others.

Even out for a stroll it would annoy me to have the path blocked by a family or group out together who don't give space- it happens often enough even outside the pandemic.

I just mean as a runner my mobility or chances to take action are or may be greater than slower moving people. It is logical to me that I take action.

I can move away, cross the road, slow down, stop. Much like driving I assume everyone else is an idiot, selfish or distracted so it is best that I stay out of others way for my own good more than theirs.

Pic of a WW2 Soldier carrying a Donkey. He had to because the field was mined. If the donkey ran loose he would get everybody killed. In extremis the first ones you have to keep under control are the donkeys who don't understand the danger and do as they please.

https://images.app.goo.gl/5SBtq9QZHssCBHXM7

The person you stole that from actually said Jackass.

Yep completely agree, I was doing laps of the local pitch this morning along with a few other randoms about the place, every single person was moving to one side or the other when passing, then a lady arrives and plants herself in the middle of the path for a walk, she was clearly oblivious to the idea that people might want space, some people just dont take it as seriously as others. Or maybe she just doesn't think you can catch anything by walking past someone and shes probably right tbf! I still think she should give space but sure at least most people are.

The person you stole that from actually said Jackass.

Wasn't stolen but I can see the point is lost on you.

Wasn't stolen but I can see the point is lost on you.

Let me explain to you what the real point is and who it's lost on.

You do understand what 'fitness' is when it comes to runners and joggers yes?

I'm guessing you don't, but I'll explain. 'Fitness' is aerobic fitness. Lung function.

Fitness takes a long time to build, but a very short time to lose.

Goons like you are stigmatising people who are trying to maintain that aerobic fitness.

With a disease that targets lungs, people with strong lungs will have mild cases of it. Our health care system depends on the majority of cases to be mild, stay at home cases.

More and more people are becoming afraid to venture out because of you and other ignorant people like you. They will lose fitness. Some of them will require hospital admittance because of it.

It's been demonstrated to you over and over in here how runners are responsible people.

Responsible mature runners and joggers won't cause any harm or hurt.

You will though. In 5 weeks time when doctors are choosing who to let die, your contribution to society will have been to burden that system.

Our contribution is to stay out of their way. And everyone else's.

• Advertisement

Walkers, joggers, runners, sprinters, javelin throwers, skippers are all the same.

Two feet moving across ground. I see little point in a choice to differentiate between the pace the two feet are moving at. If I run for an hour, walk for an hour and avoid others where is the issue?

Social distancing is the most important thing. Once that is maintained the majority will be able to enjoy the outdoors in a suitable way.

Advertisement