Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

sooty1 wrote: »
    I fully understand that exercise is permitted and have been out for the walk today 2KM from the house - turned and came back..........maybe i am taking up these posts incorrect :confused:

https://2kmfromhome.com/

Will give you a sense of where you can go

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

sooty1 wrote: »
    I fully understand that exercise is permitted and have been out for the walk today 2KM from the house - turned and came back..........maybe i am taking up these posts incorrect :confused:

You must also wear a pair of briefs, just to be fully compliant with the wording of the government directive;)

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Government page seems to have removed the word "brief." It now says (under "Exceptions"):
    to exercise within your locality, with your kids or others within your household. You must exercise within 2 kilometres of your home and you must keep at least 2 metres away from people you don't live with

So: stay within 2km of your home; don't exercise with those not in your household; and keep 2 meters away from anyone you encounter.

And feel free to run for as long as you like while respecting those constraints.

Does this mean most of this thread can be deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

No, I think this thread will serve as a valuable piece of information once this is over and we look back and see how people reacted at the time ...

Think of it as a social experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jasus, I just peeked into the cycling thread. The curtain twitchers have moved on to shaming Gardaí seen working in pairs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

No, I think this thread will serve as a valuable piece of information once this is over and we look back and see how people reacted at the time ...

Think of it as a social experiment

Agree, I mean someone went so delirious that they went out licking the pavement........Swashbuckler or sweatlicker I think it was

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Stark wrote: »
    Jasus, I just peeked into the cycling thread. The curtain twitchers have moved on to shaming Gardaí seen working in pairs :rolleyes:

Gardai have paired up for the duration. They wont be changing who they are partnered up with for at least 3 months.

If Leo cancelled all flights 6 weeks ago, stranding thousands of Irish abroad, enforced mandatory 14 Day self isolation etc then that would have been seen as overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

I really feared this a few weeks ago. Running becoming socially unacceptable.

Robin hinted at it in a post a few weeks ago in the banned events thread, and everybody scoffed. Kinda half did myself but shivered a little when I thought there was a chance he may be right.

I ran on Saturday morning. 12km within a 2km radius. Spent the rest of Saturday fighting with folk online about it, here and elsewhere.

Realised that non runners don't get it, they have this visual in their heads that's not accurate, not what we're about. That's fine, why should they. We're all afraid right now. We're all trying to do our best. The fear is making us fear each other, and it's not healthy.

I took my camera on my run this morning to try give people a better visual..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fhY5cb573o&feature=youtu.be

Yeah I had a weird experience of it two weeks ago when I was out running on my own and a white van driver started beeping at me and mouthing off at me.

Guess there's not many cyclists about these days so the knuckledraggers need a new target :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Trampas

Government page seems to have removed the word "brief." It now says (under "Exceptions"):

So: stay within 2km of your home; don't exercise with those not in your household; and keep 2 meters away from anyone you encounter.

And feel free to run for as long as you like while respecting those constraints.

It says “You can buy food and attend medical appointments and even get out for some exercise but you are being asked to stay in your home as much as possible.”

Some exercise. Define some?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Lazare wrote: »
    I really feared this a few weeks ago. Running becoming socially unacceptable.

Robin hinted at it in a post a few weeks ago in the banned events thread, and everybody scoffed. Kinda half did myself but shivered a little when I thought there was a chance he may be right.

I ran on Saturday morning. 12km within a 2km radius. Spent the rest of Saturday fighting with folk online about it, here and elsewhere.

Realised that non runners don't get it, they have this visual in their heads that's not accurate, not what we're about. That's fine, why should they. We're all afraid right now. We're all trying to do our best. The fear is making us fear each other, and it's not healthy.

I took my camera on my run this morning to try give people a better visual..

It's not only runners. Walking with kids is a really strange experience. There's a look they give the kids, then you, then they move further away. I was given a talking to by a lady last week, we were going to be responsible for her losing the park she walks in every day. We were walking single file past her and 2m away. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Trampas wrote: »
    It says “You can buy food and attend medical appointments and even get out for some exercise but you are being asked to stay in your home as much as possible.”

Oh burger off back to after hours ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Trampas wrote: »

Fortunately, I don't have to define "some," since the word is superfluous in the sentence you've cited. If it read "...even get out for exercise...." it would mean exactly the same thing.

Meanwhile, the relevant sentence is the one I cited, which has been edited by officials in recent days to remove the word "brief."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Fortunately, I don't have to define "some," since the word is superfluous in the sentence you've cited. If it read "...even get out for exercise...." it would mean exactly the same thing.

Meanwhile, the relevant sentence is the one I cited, which has been edited by officials in recent days to remove the word "brief."

March 13th the schools were closed

A house right beside where my local parkrun begins had TWO bouncy castles in the garden

There was 50 or more kids using them

Even now when I go for A run I see parents bring their kids out for exercise but the kids are on motorized scooters.

I ran 10km yesterday and half of it was on the road. I came within 5m and no closer of about 12 people.

I bought a newspaper and a crossword book for my neighbour, a 77 year old crossword addict. The girl in the shop stuck then into a brown bag for me. I never touched them.

I will not feel guilty about running when I'm avoiding people quite easily within govt guidelines. I will trust the experts over some internet loons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

How are the ultra runners handling their running?

I hope the curtain twitchers are over in the parenting forum ripping it up. Had a glance at the cycling forum, they're getting done in also :)

Yeah you'd swear the guy who did an hour cycle in the Park personally put everyone in the ICU. The Gardaí were out in the force in the Park, one of them would have stopped him if he was doing anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The combination of treadmill and Zwift is a life saver. Treadmill to get the miles in, Zwift to make it bearable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's not only runners. Walking with kids is a really strange experience. There's a look they give the kids, then you, then they move further away. I was given a talking to by a lady last week, we were going to be responsible for her losing the park she walks in every day. We were walking single file past her and 2m away. :confused:

Problem with taking our little one out is that they know where the swings and slides are if we go certain routes, but don't understand the concept of "closed", so have to very carefully choose our routes. Managed to get them to self propel themselves for just over 3 miles at the weekend, with some assistance from gravity and a scooter on the way down a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ed......

We don't all do big miles in training.
    I ran 9 miles yesterday on my usual 1.2 mile loop I've been running for years every day. I met 3 people and was never closer than 4 metres I'd say.
    Avoiding the 30 or so people where I work in the HSE is the real challenge and I'm only a chef. Care assistants, nurses, doctors, domestic staff multi task attendants etc.etc. find it almost impossible to social distance and aren't being given enough ppe to protect themselves and our clients/patients.
    People exercising in public places is the least of this country's problems. Limiting time spent in shops would be far more important for the public to focus on.
    IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Do we need to get TUEs to go running now? Has anybody checked with Sir Mo, maybe he was out running but forgot about it.

I'm sticking to running within a 2K limit (as my GPS tells me and not as the crows fly) of where I live in the country side, there are no footpaths where I live and it's easy to avoid walkers or fellow runners as we're on opposite sides of the road meeting typically or else I cross to the opposite side as I come up to meet them. Running is a bit strange at the moment but find it interesting that I am meeting more people (presumably neighbours who I have never met, only living in this house 2.5 years) but for the most part everyone is very happy to say hello and wave. I did do a 1.5 hour long run last Sunday, got to explore many long farm laneways and dirt roads....met 2 people out walking during that time.
    For my own thoughts, and they suit my own agenda but I think the guidelines do allow for some interpretation between rural and urban areas. I've done 2 hours runs down where I live and maybe met the odd car or tractor. I think if I lived in a town or city I would feel more wary as would more than likely meet more people and pass them on footpaths...not every footpath is two meters wide....so would just run either early in the morning or late at night. You are allowed to interpret these things, simple aim is to avoid getting within two meters of people....box ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Quite surreal out last night, I ran a 5km loop (within my 2km area) and the roads were dead. I ran 90% of it in the middle of the lane on the road to allow walkers plenty of distance. I met 4-5 cars in total... normally crossing the road can be difficult with the volume of cars usually out on this route. It was 8pm but felt like 3-4am

I got a chest torch from amazon and ran around a football pitch late last night, just have to block out the idea that there could be a murderer watching

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I got a chest torch from amazon and ran around a football pitch late last night, just have to block out the idea that there could be a murderer watching

Plot twist: After running for more than 30 mins round the football pitch, it turned out that IvoryTower was the murderer! :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

A few months ago I ran two laps of Donadea Forrest at night... it wasn't until the second lap I notice the guy sitting alone on the bench in complete darkness... was he there the first time? I'll never know

**** that!

I usually make a point in dressing in the darkest clothing I can find if I'm going running somewhere like that at night. Don't want any weirdos out there to have the advantage of seeing me first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Our friends have gone fierce quiet since the government guidelines were updated to remove the word "brief".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Our friends have gone fierce quiet since the government guidelines were updated to remove the word "brief".

The guideline was updated to make it clear that families could walk together. This was addressed at the briefing yesterday when a journalist asked that particular question.

The guideline wasn't updated so that runners could indulge without having to consider the meaning of the word brief.

From Gov.ie
    "There are exceptions for some workers in key businesses but for the majority of people, the rule is simple: Stay at home.

This is the best way to minimise the risk of COVID-19 to your friends, families and communities.

You can buy food and attend medical appointments and even get out for some exercise but you are being asked to stay in your home as much as possible."

The fact that some runners here could stay in more but choose not to shows their selfishness.

Advertisement