Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sounds like we're approaching M. Night Shyamalan territory with strange figures, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Trampas wrote: »
    It says “You can buy food and attend medical appointments and even get out for some exercise but you are being asked to stay in your home as much as possible.”

Some exercise. Define some?

It's PC speak so as not to upset the fatties.
    The fatties like to point and moan about the people who are actually willing to walk or run a bit to keep themselves physically healthy and not just rely on driving to within 10 yards of the seaside at the beach(which happens to have a pub/chipper/ice cream shop beside it....).

For example we have a vast woodland beside us about 1 mile door to gate.
    One side of the road there is a car park off the main road, it's always very busy, even last weekend. It's a soft option with a flat walk.
    The sheeple refuse to consider going somewhere nearby that may be a bit quieter.

Across the road 100m on there is a lay-by to park and entrance into the hilly section of the woods leading to the mountain side, deserted.

Some people always look for the soft option.
    With the soft option advocated, the people who are still exercising are now the enemy of the sheeple.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The fact that some runners here could stay in more but choose not to shows their selfishness.

Tell us again how you invented a fictitious transmission vector (toxic sweat) to justify a fictitious rule you invented?

People out for a walk could stay in more also.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The guideline was updated to make it clear that families could walk together. This was addressed at the briefing yesterday when a journalist asked that particular question.

The guideline wasn't updated so that runners could indulge without having to consider the meaning of the word brief.

From Gov.ie
    "There are exceptions for some workers in key businesses but for the majority of people, the rule is simple: Stay at home.

This is the best way to minimise the risk of COVID-19 to your friends, families and communities.

You can buy food and attend medical appointments and even get out for some exercise but you are being asked to stay in your home as much as possible."

The fact that some runners here could stay in more but choose not to shows their selfishness.

I'm in my home for nearly 23 hours a day. I take some exercise and shopping all on the one journey.

We reached this point because 1000s upon thousands couldn't stay off the gargle or keep their kids off the streets

But yeah let's blame the people who run. One is 12k this morning. Mostly on empty roads and not a single other person was out running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Stark wrote: »
    Tell us again how you invented a fictitious transmission vector (toxic sweat) to justify a fictitious rule you invented?

People out for a walk could stay in more also.

I never mentioned toxic sweat. That was another poster.

I am not anti runner or exercise. I run, walk and play sport.

Exercise has been allowed to keep people from going nuts but any outdoor exercise(walking/running/cycling or other) should be kept to the minimum necessary to keep people healthy and then they should stay at home for as long as possible in order to limit the spread of the Coronavirus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

mloc123 wrote: »
    A few months ago I ran two laps of Donadea Forrest at night... it wasn't until the second lap I notice the guy sitting alone on the bench in complete darkness... was he there the first time? I'll never know

That was just Anto, don’t worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭Trampas

I never mentioned toxic sweat. That was another poster.

I am not anti runner or exercise. I run, walk and play sport.

Exercise has been allowed to keep people from going nuts but any outdoor exercise(walking/running/cycling or other) should be kept to the minimum necessary to keep people healthy and then they should stay at home for as long as possible in order to limit the spread of the Coronavirus.

So what is classified as a minimum. As I guess a lot of marathon runners would classify around 10km as a minimum. I saw 3 people this morning on my run. 2 of them together. That was a 6:08am start. Don’t worry we didn’t come within same side of road with each other. You’ve to remember you can’t compare running in a city to town to village to country areas. It’s all relative

Trampas wrote: »
    So what is classified as a minimum. As I guess a lot of marathon runners would classify around 10km as a minimum. I saw 3 people this morning on my run. 2 of them together. That was a 6:08am start. Don’t worry we didn’t come within same side of road with each other. You’ve to remember you can’t compare running in a city to town to village to country areas. It’s all relative

The problem is People interpret words like Some, Brief and Minimum differently.

I know the effects of exercising outdoors is different in Rural and Urban areas but if different guidelines were issued for both areas people wouldn't be happy either.

I know the effects of exercising outdoors is different in Rural and Urban areas but if different guidelines were issued for both areas people wouldn't be happy either.

Social distancing is the single most important aspect.

10 or 15 min in a supermarket in close contact with 50 other customers or a 10-12km run on empty roads

Which is more of a threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The guideline was updated to make it clear that families could walk together. This was addressed at the briefing yesterday when a journalist asked that particular question.

The guideline wasn't updated so that runners could indulge without having to consider the meaning of the word brief.

From Gov.ie
    "There are exceptions for some workers in key businesses but for the majority of people, the rule is simple: Stay at home.

This is the best way to minimise the risk of COVID-19 to your friends, families and communities.

You can buy food and attend medical appointments and even get out for some exercise but you are being asked to stay in your home as much as possible."

You have a serous chip on your shoulder.

A runner running for 1 hour is spending 4.16% of his/her day outdoors and 95.84% of the day indoors.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    You have a serous chip on your shoulder.

A runner running for 1 hour is spending 4.16% of his/her day outdoors and 95.84% of the day indoors.

Yes but a 1hr run isn't necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I felt my 2hrs and 11 mins today was necessary....thankfully my Garmin agreed :D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I felt my 2hrs and 11 mins today was necessary....thankfully my Garmin agreed :D

Necessary to continue your fitness program but not necessary considering people need to be inside as much as possible.

Says who?

Running = exercise.

Exercise is allowed under current guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Stop feeding the troll and he will go away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭ooter

got a 12 x 30 sec hill session in earlier, really enjoyed it and stayed within the 2km radius. with w/u and c/d it took less than 40 mins, a 2km walk out and back would take longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I've been sitting here in my box room working and every day I see the same people out walking at least 3 times a day, sometimes on their own, sometimes with their dog, sometimes together. I have never seen these people walk past my house before. Runners are not the problem.
    I look forward to my run, it's the one time per day that I'm leaving the house at the moment. I consider it necessary for me, not only for my fitness, but my sanity. Last night I ran at about 9pm and saw a total of 2 people, never getting within 10 metres of them. I only ran for about 40 minutes, but tonight I may do an hour, might even do 90 minutes. Does it really matter as long as I don't get within 1 metre of them (https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public)?

Everyone is doing their bit and we are all making a difference. Maybe it's necessary for you to take a step back and let us get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

One thing the majority here interpret is you are a bellend Chief, and there’s no mistake about that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Lols

OOnegative wrote: »
    One thing the majority here interpret is you are a bellend Chief, and there’s no mistake about that!!!

For saying you should stay in as much as possible in order to limit the spread. Says it all about you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Says who ???

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

OOnegative wrote:

I was going to +1 this but from looking at stockshares prior threads/posts they seem pretty normal...think they just see other runners 'breaking the rules' in his/her eyes and finds this v frustrating and selfish given the environment. My wife (nurse) has been drafted back to the ICU dept and working night shifts this wk, I mentioned this thread to her and she sees both sides of it. People just need to use common sense, if one live out the sticks and nobody on roads, then keep doing your normal training as your impacting nobody. If in a busy town, be careful where you run, and make sure to keep well away from others... the 2k radius is simply to stop people driving to parks/woods etc where loads of people congregate, we don't see issue with running outside this if it means meeting less people and I'd be baffled if a guard thought differently. Shops and office work environments are the places to avoid if possible as this is where the real transmission risks lay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I feel like stockshares getting the blame for the term "toxic sweat" is karma paying me back.

For saying you should stay in as much as possible in order to limit the spread. Says it all about you.

Social distancing when your out is part of the plan. What part of that do you not get. Govt guidelines are what I follow. Not some random crank on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've been playing frisbee with the kids in the middle of one of the playing fields in St. Annes Park in Dublin to avoid close contact with the older people populating the tarmac surfaces and was happy to salute the familiar figure of Mick Clohessy with his signature rock star hair and shades from 100 metres as he hugged the deserted hedgerows and outer playing fields and traversing large football fields, avoiding contact with anyone, thumping away on the most unused, deserted, muddiest, unpopulated, boring areas of the park.

Several times.

He's obviously chosen a route where he won't come in to contact with anyone and is dynamic and can change course to suit.

Fair play to Mick.

Be like Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭ooter

just been watching a prog on BBC1 (the joys of daytime telly) called healthcheck uk live and they did a slot on running and were encouraging people to get out for a run even if they have never done it before, just adhere to the social distancing guidelines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

ooter wrote: »
    just been watching a prog on BBC1 (the joys of daytime telly) called healthcheck uk live and they did a slot on running and were encouraging people to get out for a run even if they have never done it before, just adhere to the social distancing guidelines.

Went for my run last night at it is pretty obvious there are plenty out running who have never run before! Not talking about overweight people either, but it's easy to spot those that running may not be something they do regularly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stark wrote: »
    The part where you're inferring that "within 2 kilometres of your home" means run out for 2km, run back for 2km. No-one is saying you can't run laps.

If someone can get clarification from someone more authoritative than some random Twitter crank that you're not allowed run laps then by all means I'm happy to follow it.

One posted here has said he has already asked a Garda if there was a time limit as long as he kept within the radius and the Garda said no time limit.

Your (and that Garda's) interpretation feels wrong to me, the point of the 2KM is really to get people out but not for too long, spending two hours going round in circles goes against the spirit of the restrictions as far as I can see.

Issue isn't distance really, it's time spent in the public space passing others.

On Sean O Rourke Rte 1 now.

Niall Moyna professor of health at DCU said even with the restrictions we can all get our 30mins per day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Your (and that Garda's) interpretation feels wrong to me, the point of the 2KM is really to get people out but not for too long, spending two hours going round in circles goes against the spirit of the restrictions as far as I can see.

Issue isn't distance really, it's time spent in the public space passing others.

But most of us are running at 6am or 7am so we aren't passing anybody.
    Its the walkers that are spending 40 -50 mins walking 2 abreast and blocking the footpaths during the day

Advertisement