Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Who doesn't take off their shoes when they go into their house?

i don't honestly know - i'm too busy outside licking pavements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The biggest surprise of all is that walshb hasn't appeared in this thread yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Chivito550 wrote: »
    The biggest surprise of all is that walshb hasn't appeared in this thread yet.

Is stockshares not walshb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Good Lord peeps. I had assumed people were following but no, its just a case of people jumping on what they want. See previous quoted above.......

My comment was a tongue in cheek reference to that.

Let it be noted;

1. I do not, nor believe in toxic sweat.
    2. I do not lick pavements.
    3. Y'all need to get laid or something.

Sorry I thought it was another post similar to the previous one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

It’s interesting reading back over the last few pages on people’s reactions to the new restrictions in place. As a disclaimer here I ran 12 miles on Saturday morning and 7 miles Sunday morning (early in the morning, all within the 2km radius of my house, kept distance and all that). What I’ve learned is:
    • By its nature running is a selfish sport/passtime (not saying that in a negative way but it is almost always about ourselves and our own performance/time) so when we are presented with these new restrictions we automatically think of how it affects just us (in terms of running).
    • It is also ridiculously addictive, we need to get our fix (well I do), when an obstacle comes up we (I) automatically try and work around it to get the miles in (2km from home? Okay I can get 8km if I go 2km 1-way and double back and go 2km the other way and back, etc).
    • Non-runners do not understand this mentality.
    • Are we doing any harm/increasing risk? Maybe/maybe not, depends on each individual circumstance, the person heading out at 6am and meeting no one then no risk, meeting 3-4 people a slight risk, meeting 10 people greater risk and so on.
    • And now the difficult bit, should we be going out doing 10-20mile runs? No!! no matter the circumstances
    o We, as a nation have been asked to stay indoors for the next 2 weeks (at least). This is to prevent hundreds and maybe thousands of deaths and overwhelm our health system.
    o This is a numbers game, the less time people are out of their home the less transmission there will be – it doesn’t matter if we say we only saw 2 people and we were 4 meters apart, the more we are out the more the risk of transmission.
    o Recommendations are there to stay within 2km from home to stop people travelling to other communities and spread the virus (ie heading off the Glendalough for a walk) – this was not meant as a target
    o “Brief” is open to interpretation but if we are really honest with ourselves we know anything over 30-40 mins is taking the piss.

I had a long hard look at myself yesterday and realize I was wrong to go out for so long on both mornings, I may not have increased the risk personally but collectively if everyone took this attitude the roads would be packed – why should I think I deserve to be out when others are staying in? (Philosophical question).

For me I think it’s time to step out of my comfort zone of keeping the mileage up which will be a pain as I’m just getting back into a groove after a major slump post Dublin last October. Will it be difficult? Yes. Will I succeed and not go out for 10-12 miles next weekend? I don’t know but I’ll try. Time to keep the runs short (6-8km, 30-45mins) and do some home S&C.

I realize this will be difficult because in the current climate the only thing that we have any control over (our training) is being threatened and impacted which is hard to take but I guess I’ll have to suck it up.

For all the runners out there, whatever you decide it’s your decision, but maybe step back, have a look at the big picture and ask if the run is essential (ignore risk levels but keep in mind mental health), then decide.

It will also be a bad look for the sport if everyone is posting up long runs on Strava, in times of stress and uncertainty, people want to be angry at something/someone (no point being angry at a virus), so runners will be an easy target

Whatever way be safe and be kind

This is a great post. Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

This is a great post. Well said.

Wasn't it.
    Very well said and he somehow managed to do it without being condescending or self righteous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Wasn't it.
    Very well said and he somehow managed to do it without being condescending or self righteous.

If only people here would take the posters advice. The fact that the poster had to say it reflects badly on the people who are determined to get their miles in no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I for one cannot wait to go for a run. Probably go on my lunch break, working from home is awesome, have to take the few positives. Shoes off and disinfected when i come in the door, hands washed, clothes put for wash, shower. My missus is very high risk so have to be careful. I had to disinfect €400 worth of delivered shopping yesterday and i can tell you that makes more sense to me than me not running! Stockshares you probably live in the city and see a lot of people when you leave your house, if i cross the road twice on my run i might not pass a single person. Definitely, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

One learns that one has mellowed when he allows a thread like this to pass....:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

skyblue46 wrote: »
    One learns that one has mellowed when he allows a thread like this to pass....:pac::pac::pac:

The signs that someone is getting out for his daily runs to keep the mental sanity.

......... Gettum!!!

• Advertisement

divorce rate would be through the roof, get out and run, save your marriage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

IvoryTower wrote: »
    divorce rate would be through the roof, get out and run, save your marriage!

Haha the problem used to be "are you running again???" Now because we're together all the time it's "have you not got a run to do??" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

o We, as a nation have been asked to stay indoors for the next 2 weeks (at least). This is to prevent hundreds and maybe thousands of deaths and overwhelm our health system.

For all the runners out there, whatever you decide it’s your decision, but maybe step back, have a look at the big picture and ask if the run is essential (ignore risk levels but keep in mind mental health), then decide.

We have not been asked to stay indoors as a nation. Our health minister even tweeted last night about enjoy the outdoors respecting the social distancing.

IMO it's an individual choice and there is no right or wrong unless social distancing is not adhered to. The closest I came to another person this morning on a 10km run was when tapping my card buying some bits in the local shop.

If only people here would take the posters advice. The fact that the poster had to say it reflects badly on the people who are determined to get their miles in no matter what.

It doesnt reflect badly on anyone still getting out.

Govt guidelines, look them up

So they necessity is high risk

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1244640766112210944?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    We have not been asked to stay indoors as a nation. Our health minister even tweeted last night about enjoy the outdoors respecting the social distancing.

IMO it's an individual choice and there is no right or wrong unless social distancing is not adhered to. The closest I came to another person this morning on a 10km run was when tapping my card buying some bits in the local shop.

Actual Gov advice is to "Stay at home"
    https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/.

However I agree, it is an individual choice how you interpret the rules but I think the spirit of the request (it is not actually law) is to keep it short, so for me before heading out I need to actually ask myself is this run really necessary (mostly yes for mental and physical wellbeing). I just hope by next weekend I can keep it short <smutty innuendo goes here :)>.

As I said this is my interpretation and as a self confessed addict I found myself trying to justify the longer runs.

Is an hour brief? Perhaps, 2 hours I doubt anyone could justify that.

if you're running for 2 hours in the back arse of no where im sure it's not going to make a hell of difference to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Trampas

If fine for Rory on his bike why not us in our runners

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Wt3PzDJgg

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

IvoryTower wrote: »
    if you're running for 2 hours in the back arse of no where im sure it's not going to make a hell of difference to anyone

True - makes absolutely no difference, but looking at the bigger picture if everyone had the same idea then the roads would be thronged!

This is more of a moral debate than a practical one, every little thing extra we can do to stop the virus should be done, so is it moral for us to head off for 2 hours when being asked to stay in as much as possible. Don't think there is a right or wrong answer to that - just perspectives. We are lucky in that our training has been relatively unaffected until now (unlike team sports).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭ooter

jaysus 26 pages, staying well away from this from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is there really enough people doing 2 hour runs regularly enough to throng the roads? I would imagine it's a very small minority of the population. Unlike people crowding places to go for walks, the couch potato populace isn't going to take up going for 2 hour runs all of a sudden just because they have the time.

My owns runs are naturally limited to 45 mins at the moment simply because I wasn't focused too much on running over the past few months and now that I have time to focus on it, I can't simply jump into doing 1hr+ runs without exposing myself to injury. Which I imagine is the case for the majority of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sooty1

I ran 10k this morning. Luckily I'm a speed demon and did it in under 30 minutes.

Why can't people just obey the rules - no further than 2KM from your house, there is nothing more than i would love to do than jump in my car and travel the 4KM to our usual canal bank walk wherei can let the dog off the lead and we can walk for 8 km but i am following the rules and only going 2KM from the house and returning.

So annoying when people just can't do whats asked of them.

Sooty

People are obeying the rules ffs. No-one has said it has to be a 2km out and back, you just have to keep within a 2km radius. It's to keep people dispersed and not congregated in the "nice places" like the Phoenix park or the canal bank etc.

This is from the Gov.ie Website........

Everyone needs to stay at home to help slow the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).

You should only leave your home to:

shop for essential food and household goods
    attend medical appointments, collect medicine or other health products
    care for children, older people or other vulnerable people - this excludes social family visits
    exercise briefly by yourself, or with children from your family, and only within 2 kilometers of your home, keeping 2 metres distance from other people

So which part of this am i not understanding correctly?????????

sooty1 wrote: »
    Why can't people just obey the rules - no further than 2KM from your house, there is nothing more than i would love to do than jump in my car and travel the 4KM to our usual canal bank walk wherei can let the dog off the lead and we can walk for 8 km but i am following the rules and only going 2KM from the house and returning.

So annoying when people just can't do whats asked of them.

Sooty

Read the govt guidelines. Exercise is permitted. I passed gardai 3 times in last 3 days. Having asked me on saturday where i live, both yesterday and today they gave Me a wave and told me to remember the 2m.

sooty1 wrote:
    So which part of this am i not understanding correctly?????????

The part where you're inferring that "within 2 kilometres of your home" means run out for 2km, run back for 2km. No-one is saying you can't run laps.

If someone can get clarification from someone more authoritative than some random Twitter crank that you're not allowed run laps then by all means I'm happy to follow it.

One posted here has said he has already asked a Garda if there was a time limit as long as he kept within the radius and the Garda said no time limit.

I fully understand that exercise is permitted and have been out for the walk today 2KM from the house - turned and came back..........maybe i am taking up these posts incorrect :confused:

Stark wrote: »
    The part where you're inferring that "within 2 kilometres of your home" means run out for 2km, run back for 2km. No-one is saying you can't run laps.

Think that must be where i am making the mistake -:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

I was out for my daily therapy of a run (within 2k of my house) this afternoon, had a very different experience compared to what you might imagine from the posts I read here! Had two people smile & wave at me when I hopped off the path to make sure I was giving them a wide berth. The one funny thing that happened was I went through a park & noticed the park security guy walking in my direction, was wondering what he was about to say but actually he was heading for a woman with a dog to tell her to keep it on a lead. Inwardly I gave a little cheer as had to do a dance to avoid a poodle a few mins before that of course wasn't on a lead either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Trampas

sooty1 wrote: »
    I fully understand that exercise is permitted and have been out for the walk today 2KM from the house - turned and came back..........maybe i am taking up these posts incorrect :confused:

2km as the crow flies and not your gps device. That bit is just to annoy the begrudgers.

Advertisement