Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

i thought it was brilliant. He has put together a great team, tore up the red tape and put the American People first.

Wow, just WOW

Trump got Walmart and other big companies will make portions of their parking lots (in select locations) available for drive-thru testing for COVID-19

Such an incredible, marvelous and generous responses to this unfolding sh*tstorm from the private sector in the USA !

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭jackboy

My boyfriend just informed me that his boss and his girlfriend are off to Tenerife until Thursday, and they plan to rock back into work the following Monday no screening no testing no nothing. People seem to be categorise where is “safe” to travel to based on the amount of positive cases there; completely forgetting the important fact that in order to get there you’ve to travel through an airport likely riddled with the infection and travel on a plane that’s been god knows where before you. My boyfriend is worried because his mother has not only cardiovascular disease but high BP and diabetes, she’s basically a right off if she gets this disease. He’s now thinking of taking the two weeks off when they return because of their moronic and selfish behaviour.

If he is that worried he should stay at home from work anyway. Anyone could have it, pointless aiming his stress at his boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I have a very mild cold since early last week. Was home to my parents last weekend (thinking it might be the last time for a while) and mam reports she's getting the start of a cold now.

I'm not worried about myself, I'll be grand, but if it was to turn out I'd brought it to my midlands mam and dad who would otherwise probably be grand I don't think I'd ever get over it.

It's probably nothing, but now I have to worry - just a little - that it's something terrible. But I'm nowhere near sick enough to get tested. This sucks. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

That really is ahole behavior by them Retro, some people are fooking idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

She sounds like a barrel of laughs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

After the panic yesterday, are people already becoming complacent?

Some people absolutely are.

My boyfriend just informed me that his boss and his girlfriend are off to Tenerife until Thursday, and they plan to rock back into work the following Monday no screening no testing no nothing. People seem to be categorise where is “safe” to travel to based on the amount of positive cases there; completely forgetting the important fact that in order to get there you’ve to travel through an airport likely riddled with the infection and travel on a plane that’s been god knows where before you. My boyfriend is worried because his mother has not only cardiovascular disease but high BP and diabetes, she’s basically a right off if she gets this disease. He’s now thinking of taking the two weeks off when they return because of their moronic and selfish behaviour.

Afaik the government want everyone returning from italy and spain to self isolate for 2 weeks

Id call gaurds on them.on monday tbh,no point in having all these extra gaurds if they cant be used,they literally people lives at risk

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/fitness-health/irish-people-travel-spain-italy-ireland-694732

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

"I just don't for the life of me understand how this disease is spreading. Sick people are locked down immediately. In Dublin at least everyone is extremely careful and staying away from each other. Are there some kind of underground virus sex parties going on? Or maybe the current measures are not enough, forget 1 meter, we should be 5 meters away from each other?"

I can't remember who I'm quoting here as I copied text from previous thread, your point about five metres apart is not far off, was there not a case of community infection in China on a bus with people 4.5 metres apart, I'll see if I can find it.

ESt76lDWAAAzoak?format=jpg&name=small

https://twitter.com/Castletonian/status/1237218895062347778?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1237218895062347778&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D112788476

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The real reason the UK is dramatically reducing it's testing no doubt...
    Trump is asked why the UK was exempted from the travel ban list. He says that was the expert advice and, looking at the increase in the number of cases in the UK, the country may be added to the list soon, while other countries might be taken off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I have a very mild cold since early last week. Was home to my parents last weekend (thinking it might be the last time for a while) and mam reports she's getting the start of a cold now.

I'm not worried about myself, I'll be grand, but if it was to turn out I'd brought it to my midlands mam and dad who would otherwise probably be grand I don't think I'd ever get over it.

It's probably nothing, but now I have to worry - just a little - that it's something terrible. But I'm nowhere near sick enough to get tested. This sucks. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Chances are it's just a cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Was meant to be going to Lanzarote on Monday decided not to have I made the correct call do you think?

How would I know, you have to go with your gut feeling.

https://lanzaroteinformation.co.uk/corona-virus-in-lanzarote/

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

If they get worse they should get tested keep an eye on them . This is the scary thing non of us would mean to do it but so easily passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Urquell wrote: »
    What's going on in Spain exactly that it's spreading so drastically?

Is this what we can look forward to seeing across the pond?

Spain got the virus early on.
    -One case at the end of Jan in La Gomera - a German tourist
    -first death on 13 February in Valencia, diagnosed a few weeks later

Two Spanish genomes are now up on Nextstrain and show that they represent "separate introductions".

The map shows two introductions:
    -one from Germany (Bavaria in the map) via Italy
    -the second one directly from China

So we now know that the virus arrived to Spain from different sources

ES8_7CyUcAEtwiq?format=png&name=small
    https://twitter.com/nextstrain/statu...79354380980224

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Wow, just WOW

Trump got Walmart and other big companies will make portions of their parking lots (in select locations) available for drive-thru testing for COVID-19

Such an incredible, marvelous and generous responses to this unfolding sh*tstorm from the private sector in the USA !

got the stock markets moving in the right directions though...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Some families need to cop on as well and take this more seriously. At least where I live, it was like your average day during mid term break. Kids all out together on the green, mixing together, and in and out of one another’s houses. I know it’s hard to keep them entertained but this isn’t a holiday. There was intent behind this decision and it’s like they don’t understand there was a purpose behind keeping them off school. I don’t think people are taking this seriously enough. Same people will be giving out about de gubbermint not doing enough when one of their relatives gets sick or dies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

Please do not get tricked into buying the wrong type of hand-sanitisers. Normal soap and water is the gold-standard. But an alcohol-based (at least 60%) disinfectant will also be effective. (I have seen some hand-sanitisers which have no alcohol, so these are utterly useless). Also, make sure to dry your hands thoroughly afterwards if using soap and water. If you wash your hands a lot, it is advisable to use a hand-moisturiser (not a communal one, as this could spread the infection). This reduces your chances of getting sore and inflamed skin on your hands. And definitely don't use bleach products on your skin (people have used things like dettol wipes to clean their hands). This could damage the skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

branie2 wrote: »
    All masses are cancelled until the 29th

So there's really nothing to be said for another mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Some families need to cop on as well and take this more seriously. At least where I live, it was like your average day during mid term break. Kids all out together on the green, mixing together, and in and out of one another’s houses. I know it’s hard to keep them entertained but this isn’t a holiday. There was intent behind this decision and I don’t think people are taking this seriously enough. Same people will be giving out about de gubbermint not doing enough when one of their relatives gets sick or dies

That's why Italy got so bad.

They all treated it as a holiday.

Government should have been more clear on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Why did the Plague spare Poland?
    https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/bubonic-plague-spares-poland

img.png?width=980
    One main reason why Poland escaped relatively unscathed, was the decision by Poland's king, Casimir the Great, to close the country's borders – and set up internal quarantines.

This increased Poland's natural isolation, both from the outside world and between the settlements within the country – generally smaller and less connected than elsewhere in Europe. Prague to Krakow took eight days on horseback. People infected took between 24 to 72 hours to get sick. So the issue would 'resolve' itself well before the danger reached the Polish border.

Isolation plus quarantine certainly helped spare Poland from the worst of the epidemic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

One thing I do hope that the government do is that they come down extremely hard on anyone that stretches the emergency services by acting the bollocks during this time.

I'm after coming back from Nutgrove and there seems to be a gathering of what can be best described as a shower of cunts in their souped up cars acting like pricks.

10 years minimum imo for those stretching the emergency services during this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

Was meant to be going to Lanzarote on Monday decided not to have I made the correct call do you think?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

How would I know, you have to go with your gut feeling.

https://lanzaroteinformation.co.uk/corona-virus-in-lanzarote/

So Lanzarote officially have it now.

I was one of the people warning from the start that this would get bad.

Too be honest even I am shocked at how quickly things have gone downhill in the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

As well as Spain, spread also accelerating in Portugal...

34 new cases today, 119 total.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Without spooking people too much, I think the Government needs to hammer home the message every single fkn day. Some are far too complacent, as others have said. Not a good look.

We have to do this together and for the common good, painful as it may seem.

Sorry for the lecture, but am fed up with people just laughing it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Some families need to cop on as well and take this more seriously. At least where I live, it was like your average day during mid term break. Kids all out together on the green, mixing together, and in and out of one another’s houses. I know it’s hard to keep them entertained but this isn’t a holiday. There was intent behind this decision and it’s like they don’t understand there was a purpose behind keeping them off school. I don’t think people are taking this seriously enough. Same people will be giving out about de gubbermint not doing enough when one of their relatives gets sick or dies

Short of handcuffing them to the couch or sedating them you won’t stop the movement of kids to easily

• Registered Users Posts: 35,697 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wow, just WOW

map-walmart-stores-america.jpg?w=1028

It was a vital piece of the jigsaw. Getting the private sector involved will speed up testing, and make it available to the whole country. And this is USA, Not Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Yes. I think planes are an ideal germ and virus mixing pot due to air recirculation. Irrelevant of where you are flying. Just one person might be possibly be infecting multiples on a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Without spooking people too much, I think the Government needs to hammer home the message every single fkn day. Some are far too complacent, as others have said. Not a good look.

We have to do this together and for the common good, painful as it may seem.

Sorry for the lecture, but am fed up with people just laughing it off.

Good luck with that.

Irish people are a bunch of self centred morons contrary to the "everyone loves the Irish" brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭threeball

One sickening thing about the Cheltenham crowd and other self absorbed types who aren't taking this seriously is that that those of them that will get sick will do so relatively early in the cycle and may go on to hog the limited hospital beds, ventilators and ICU places from those who bothered their hole educating themselves about the virus and will succumb to the virus later as a result of being more careful and conscientious.

I said this to a few people yesterday. If you're going to get it you'd be better get it now whilst we still have a functioning health service. Once it ramps up its a numbers game whether they'll even look at you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement