Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

500 ventilators and over 1000 pieces of respiratory equipment as per HSE on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

My friend in the UK said things feel very relaxed over there. Everybody going around like normal. Her sister-in-law has CYSTIC FIBROSIS and went on a trip this weekend, going to bars and restaurants. I cannot believe that.

One the problems in the UK and maybe US is that over the last decade they have got so used to the media hyping up and sensationalizing every news story possible, that now they finally have a new story worth the hype, a lot of the public just falsely believe it is media exaggerated again. And as a result, a lot of people aren’t taking it seriously. Media behavior of the last decade is partly to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Im thinking the brits have it spot on with herd immunity. What im witnessing in ireland today is a joke.

Let's see how they behave when their parents, grandparents and other critical cases have no hope of a hospital admission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Even with measures to flatten the curve we could be looking at 1% of the population dying from it. It will impact far more people than that because so many will lose people they care about.

Without measures to flatten the curve, we could be looking at several times that number. Just look at the difference in mortality rates between Germany and Italy. One has a healthcare system that is coping, the other's is overwhelmed.

Nothing hysterical about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

People saying “Horrific” numbers from Spain, you know most of those infected are probably just sitting inside playing FIFA with their friends. It isn’t horrific at all.

Man you're a disgrace. There are over 100 people dead in Spain today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

J. Marston wrote: »
    You'll probably find some people being made pariahs in smaller towns for this behaviour when all this passes, especially if it results in a death in the town.

No harm either. Selfish behaviour like that should be punished.

They were not advised not to go at the time.

People seem to be forgetting how quickly things have changed. Hindsight is 20:20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

laugh wrote: »
    Let's see how they behave when their parents, grandparents and other critical cases have no hope of a hospital admission.

Why don’t these people stick to their rooms and self isolate. It’s basically what we are being told to do anyway?

I absolutely think it’s a terrible reality for these people but now it’s the reality that’s going to face us all, leading to huge economic consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Someone in HSE just on RTÉ radio confirmed 500 ventilators and possibly an additional 1000 can be sourced elsewhere ( presuming private’s hospitals :army: and turning surgeries into ICU). Some vague response about working with suppliers for more but nothing concrete offered. Wasn’t asked about staff capacity

Worst case scenario 1.9 million affected 10% requiring respiration

Do the maths people practice social distancing guidelines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Im thinking the brits have it spot on with herd immunity. What im witnessing in ireland today is a joke.

Even the health minister in the UK is rowing back on the herd immunity thing. Apparently it was 'never' their policy, and that it has always been their priority to 'save lives'.

That was the gist of it, but it was in an article in the Daily Telegraph which was behind a paywall. Hardly the mark of having it 'spot on'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

It's a lockdown baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Have a friend whos a HVAC engineer , was called up to ikea yesterday to look at something and he said the place was rammed with people buying things , using the time do do up the house id imagine. Strange outcomes this is causing

Yeah i bought paint and decorating stuff a few weeks ago in case we ended up at home for a bit. I'd imagine many others will do the same. Wouldn't fancy shopping for it all now though, especially with loo roll and pasta to purchase too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Why don’t these people stick to their rooms and self isolate. It’s basically what we are being told to do anyway?

I absolutely think it’s a terrible reality for these people but now it’s the reality that’s going to face us all, leading to huge economic consequences.

Facebook. They will protest on facebook. And get passionate fishing for likes. Thats what they will do.

There is a big difference between self isolating in the hope of getting over it and self isolating and reaching a point where you are deteriorating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

laugh wrote: »

And you think that a health service that can't manage the annual winter flu outbreak is going to be able to handle a virus that is now a global pandemic?

Some people are in for a serious shock. Look closer to home.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    And you think that a health service that can't manage the annual winter flu outbreak is going to be able to handle a virus that is now a global pandemic?

Some people are in for a serious shock. Look closer to home.

I mean it would handle it better if the curve is flattened is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There is no proof of herd immunity to this virus so I'm curious how you think they have it spot on? They NHS will be utterly overwhelmed with their plan very quickly

Sir Patrick Vallance is at the top of his game, he's the medical advisor to the PM, and his logic seems sound. Vallance' knows his onions, so who are we to question such an expert?

I don't doubt that our expert advice is also correct, yet I worry about hoards of schoolchildren mixing outside school, adults too, in pubs, nightclubs & restaurants...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There is no proof of herd immunity to this virus so I'm curious how you think they have it spot on? They NHS will be utterly overwhelmed with their plan very quickly

Herd immunity might well mean their NHS being overwhelmed, but if the idea is to obtain herd immunity from CoVid19 then their are only two optons

A Allow people to catch it and thereby acquire natural immunity to it
    Or
    B Develop a vaccine and inoculate those that didn't catch it

A is risky but B is just as risky because a viable, safe vaccine could be as late as 2021, if the timescale were anywhere near 2021 then the self isolation is likely to fail anyway due to isolation fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Herd immunity will be a disaster for all cows !

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Man you're a disgrace. There are over 100 people dead in Spain today.

I know, it sounds horrible, I’m just trying to give people some perspective. I should choose my words more wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

threeball wrote: »
    If 9/11 happened in any other country bar America it would never be spoken about in the same terms it is. In some countries it would barely have registered such is the horror they have endured. Yes it was a terrible event but there's been far more terrible events since that barely get recognised

9/11 wasn't just about the 3,000 killed that day.

It was also about the 9,000+ coalition troops who died in the subsequent wars, the 100,000 Iraqi's who died during their invasion etc.

9/11 had a knock on effect for 20 years.

The US is still in both Iraq and Afghanistan and troops are still dying there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Stewball

I see the closet eugenicists among us are making themselves known....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

neonsofa wrote: »
    Yeah i bought paint and decorating stuff a few weeks ago in case we ended up at home for a bit. I'd imagine many others will do the same. Wouldn't fancy shopping for it all now though, especially with loo roll and pasta to purchase too! :pac:

I know two other gaffs getting a bit of a paint job on the back of the lockdown. Obviously a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Is this a recent thing that half the schools in Ireland head off skiing?
    and now we know that skiing resorts in school holidays time have acted as petri dishes for the virus, with people from all over Europe meeting up there.
    The virus was circulating early in Germany, Netherlands... and when everyone headed out on holiday, bang.
    Today:
    "Urgent efforts to repatriate 30,000 British tourists from ski resorts in France are under way amid warnings of “widespread failures” in the travel sector in the face of the coronavirus pandemic. French mountain resorts closed at midnight on Saturday, hours after tens of thousands of skiers had landed for their annual holiday in the snow."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/coronavirus-chaos-as-30000-british-tourists-told-to-leave-french-ski-resorts

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

How long do people think we’ll be on lock down before the economic hit outweighs deaths and we open everything back up?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Herd immunity might well mean their NHS being overwhelmed, but if the idea is to obtain herd immunity from CoVid19 then their are only two optons

A Allow people to catch it and thereby acquire natural immunity to it
    Or
    B Develop a vaccine and inoculate those that didn't catch it

A is risky but B is just as risky because a viable, safe vaccine could be as late as 2021, if the timescale were anywhere near 2021 then the self isolation is likely to fail anyway due to isolation fatigue.

A quickly overwhelmed NHS means people needing urgent care for cardiac issues or car crashes for instance will die due to lack of capacity. And again there is no proof of natural immunity to this virus. Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,383 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Govt should be stressing that total nationwide "lockdown" and self isolation would only last for four weeks or so.

They need to keep reminding people that there will be a middle and an end to this crisis and things will eventually go back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Unearthly

MD1990 wrote: »
    95 dead in Spain already today.

Going to be even worse than Italy.

Those dead people are just playing fifa though apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

otnomart wrote: »
    and now we know that skiing resorts in school holidays time have acted as petri dishes for the virus, with people from all over Europe meeting up there.
    The virus was circulating early in Germany, Netherlands... and when everyone headed out on holiday, bang.
    Today:
    "Urgent efforts to repatriate 30,000 British tourists from ski resorts in France are under way amid warnings of “widespread failures” in the travel sector in the face of the coronavirus pandemic. French mountain resorts closed at midnight on Saturday, hours after tens of thousands of skiers had landed for their annual holiday in the snow."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/coronavirus-chaos-as-30000-british-tourists-told-to-leave-french-ski-resorts

Blows my mind people are still heading away on skiing holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Good to see the UK taking this seriously. I live in the UK...

This is from today

https://twitter.com/suzannamimi/status/1239182466168037378

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

jamesf85 wrote: »
    How long do people think we’ll be on lock down before l economy hit outweighs deaths and we open everything back up?

No one knows..... do you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement