Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options

Comments

who mentioned masks? they are a waste of time for people not already infected.
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 40,266 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

LOL

Perhaps you should have a good look at the CDC pages you linked to.
    Wear a facemask if you are sick

• If you are sick: You should wear a facemask when you are around other people (e.g., sharing a room or vehicle) and before you enter a healthcare provider’s office. If you are not able to wear a facemask (for example, because it causes trouble breathing), then you should do your best to cover your coughs and sneezes, and people who are caring for you should wear a facemask if they enter your room. Learn what to do if you are sick.
    • If you are NOT sick: You do not need to wear a facemask unless you are caring for someone who is sick (and they are not able to wear a facemask). Facemasks may be in short supply and they should be saved for caregivers.

Take steps to protect yourself

Clean your hands often

• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
    • If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
    • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.

Note that they do not say to use face masks to protect yourself. because they dont that. You wear a face mask if you are sick to protect others.

Note that they do not say to use face masks to protect yourself. because they dont that. You wear a face mask if you are sick to protect others.
    This is nonsense that began to be circulate online in the past two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,266 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

so you are right and the CDC, WHO and pretty much every other medical organisation is wrong? can you tell us when you got your PhD in epidemiology?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Circulate online? Every expert, Cheif Medical Officer etc is saying the same thing.

But we should believe you, some internet randomer.

Grand so.

• Advertisement

SozBbz wrote: »
    Circulate online? Every expert, Cheif Medical Officer etc is saying the same thing.

But we should believe you, some internet randomer.

Grand so.
    You should research it for yourself. Look for some peer reviewed studies, medical guidelines, medical textbooks etc. Filter out the tabloid articles that started popping up in the past months; assuming that you know how to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You should research it for yourself. Look for some peer reviewed studies, medical guidelines, medical textbooks etc. Filter out the tabloid articles that started popping up in the past months; assuming that you know how to do this.

Or....save yourself a bit of time and go with what the HSE and the WHO say!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Have no desire to wade in on an online v WHO v tabloid debate but the CDC states that the virus "droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs". It isn't much of a leap therefore to assume that a mask, which will provide a barrier over the mouth and nose, might offer a form of protection to an uninfected person?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

I might be cynical but is it possible that the advice for uninfected people not to use masks is informed by a need to preserve supplies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Antares35 wrote: »
    Have no desire to wade in on an online v WHO v tabloid debate but the CDC states that the virus "droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs". It isn't much of a leap therefore to assume that a mask, which will provide a barrier over the mouth and nose, might offer a form of protection to an uninfected person?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

I might be cynical but is it possible that the advice for uninfected people not to use masks is informed by a need to preserve supplies?

No I think its more from the point of view that wearing a mask is alien to most people, so you will spend more time touching your face and readjusting it.

The more you touch your face the higher the risk of infection.

Plus the masks aren't a snug fit so potentially airborne can still sneak in.

But they will act as a barrier against the main exhale of an infected person, but again not a snug fit so potential for escape, but better than no barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

No I think its more from the point of view that wearing a mask is alien to most people, so you will spend more time touching your face and readjusting it.

The more you touch your face the higher the risk of infection.

Plus the masks aren't a snug fit so potentially airborne can still sneak in.

But they will act as a barrier against the main exhale of an infected person, but again not a snug fit so potential for escape, but better than no barrier.

All of this, plus they don't cover your eyes, so again not giving real protection.

Also, they're more effective preventing sick people from passing the virus than protecting the uninfected. So if we do only have a limited amount, arent they better being used by said sick people? Or for medical professinals who have to get up close and personal with those already infected?

Keep your distance, wash your hands and be sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No anti bacterial wipes left in any shop today .I bought cheap own brand baby wipes and a large bottle of Dettol .I will pour the dettol over the wipes and uses them to wipe down surfaces .Just a thought if anyone is looking for wipes .
    I also brought my own wipe to Lidl and Dunnes as neither had any facilities to clean the trolly handle .Fair play to Super Valu they had wipes and spray at the door .

SozBbz wrote: »
    All of this, plus they don't cover your eyes, so again not giving real protection.

Also, they're more effective preventing sick people from passing the virus than protecting the uninfected. So if we do only have a limited amount, arent they better being used by said sick people? Or for medical professinals who have to get up close and personal with those already infected?

Keep your distance, wash your hands and be sensible.

Not giving complete protection perhaps, as opposed to "real protection". They will protect against air borne particles being ingested into the mouth and nose.

The argument about improper use negating efficacy could equally be applied to the use of masks by those who are infected.

"Sensible" to me would be using a face mask if I had one.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    No anti bacterial wipes left in any shop today .I bought cheap own brand baby wipes and a large bottle of Dettol .I will pour the dettol over the wipes and uses them to wipe down surfaces .Just a thought if anyone is looking for wipes .
    I also brought my own wipe to Lidl and Dunnes as neither had any facilities to clean the trolly handle .Fair play to Super Valu they had wipes and spray at the door .

Great idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

It's anti viral stuff that would be best though, yet nearly every disinfecting agent is anti bacterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Raconteuse wrote: »
    It's anti viral stuff that would be best though, yet nearly every disinfecting agent is anti bacterial.

Was told today a spritz of vodka on the hands would work as a last resort, don't know how true this it, though being alcohol maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭sioda

leeside11 wrote: »
    Was told today a spritz of vodka on the hands would work as a last resort, don't know how true this it, though being alcohol maybe..
    Alcohol content isn't high enough in most vodkas cases

• Registered Users Posts: 20,033 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

sioda wrote: »
    Alcohol content isn't high enough in most vodkas cases

They say the alcohol needs to be at least 60%. Most vodka is sold at 35-40%.

Of it comes time to wash your hands with vodka, it's time to stay home for a fortnight and make a fort out of all the toilet roles you've stockpiled and count your tins of butter beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Raconteuse wrote: »

Example of an antibacterial is alcohol. It also works against many Viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hand sanitizers are for when you are out during the day and cannot wash your hands regularly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

New Busta Rhymes song. It's called 'Wuhan! I got them all in check'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

So, apart from panic buying extra loo-roll, how have your habits changed in recognition of the fact that Covid-19 is now lurking in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

How have your arse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

My mother was always a germ freak.

I now carry 100% alcohol around for when i am unable to find a place to wash my hands. It smells weird like ..medicine mouth wash and pure strong booze....so i smell weird.

I am going to start wearing a mask in public places soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

My habits haven't at all since the Covid-19 outbreak. Not even slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Having a look on eBay for a nice ham radio transceiver

Anyone seen a post apocalyptic film that doesn't feature one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Washing my hand a lot more, the skin is starting to get a bit sore, like my old O.C.D. days.
    Also keeping public transport use down to the bare minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Started preparing mid-January when Wuhan was getting bad. We always have about two months of supplies but did three big shops between then and a week ago. We had stocked up on all essentials by then and haven't left the house since, except once to run a few errands on Monday. Wore disposable gloves, sprayed all clothes and everything that had been in contact with the outside (cash from the bank, lots of bottles of alcohol) with bleach and antiseptic and wiped down with disinfectant wipes, including clothes and shoes. Left everything in the hall to ensure any virus was dead before bringing it inside.

Might be over-cautious, don't really care. We have three immunocompromised here so taking no chances. Seven days since we've been anywhere and we're doing grand. I love staying home and gardening, playing music, reading, writing, talking to friends and family online. I've done a good bit of work from home but nothing too strenuous. Mostly I'm just planting and harvesting veg, prepping meals for the freezers, baking, relaxing, writing songs and stuff like that.

Never used to watch the news or listen to the radio but we're regular viewers at the moment, we yell at it like it's a sporting event as the facts being given by officials are in opposition to what's in peer-reviewed journals or reported facts by journalists. Quite surprised the apocalypse started like this and not optimistic for humanity, but I think with a support network, anyone can be optimistic and enjoy life.

Predictions for this time 2021 - probably a dystopian bureaucratic dictatorship, I'm starting a rebellion front in advance of this development if anyone wants to drop me a pm.

I wash my hands a great deal more. If I drive somewhere, I use sanitzer before I get back in the car so I don't smear anything all over the steering wheel, and I wash my hands as soon as I get home, before I eat or prepare food, as well as the usual times. I avoid public bathrooms, and the supermarket is the most crowded place I've been to. I've stocked up a bit on the staples, hopefully unnecessarily.

ETA: anyone who uses cash should consider switching to contactless or using their phone to pay for purchases. Money is filthy at the best of times and best avoided more than ever now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Changes? I’ve been taking the piss out of pointless panic buying by fcuking idiots.

That’s about it, really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement