Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Lucky you

You should contact a group such as your local active retirement and ask if anyone needs them. They will be snapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Thompson twins,Doctor doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

BellaBella, I’m not in ireland, hence the reason these are getting thrown out in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

cjmc wrote: »
    Me too. When I think it's fine all I get is a link

[HTML]
    [/HTML]

Or use the YouTube icon on the top-right of the text box.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

When you gonna stop for me
    You never stop
    When you gonna stop for me
    Myyyy corona.

.... gets coat, washes hands...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

izzyflusky wrote: »
    I'm currently on leave and don't have access to the research but I teach infection control as part of my job and the latest is a tendency to lean more towards alcohol hand rubs, mostly because of better adherence to its use and people tend to use a better technique compared to soap and water. It is also what we as trainers are being advised to teach.

Mind you, hands still need to be visibly clean and as I mentioned before, soap and water is a MUST after going to the toilet.

You're on leave but can't provide any simple website name to back up what you say?

I did a quick search on HSE, NHS in the UK and Dutch Department of Health (as I speak Dutch) and they all advice soap and water
    Soap and warm water is the advice
    Links below
    HSE
    NHS
    Dutch Healh (In Dutch but "Zeep" is soap if you cannot translate the page.

WHO recommend both soap and water or sanitiser here.

So I think it's wrong of people to claim that sanitsers are essential and soap and water is not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

murpho999 wrote: »
    So I think it's wrong of people to claim that sanitsers are essential and soap and water is not good enough.

I think you probably need both...
    So for example in work you go out to the toilets and then you wash your hands but to get out of the toilets you have to open a door by pulling on a handle, and then to get back into our section you have to swipe an ID card and type in a 4 digit code on a keypad and then pull a handle to open the door .... so basically your hand washing has been negated by opening doors and using a keypad that 50 or so people could have used/opened in the past hour ... so when you get back to your desk if you have hand sanitizer then you can use it to make sure that your hands are fully clean and virus free

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So for example in work you go out to the toilets and then you wash your hands but to get out of the toilets you have to open a door by pulling on a handle, and then to get back into our section you have to swipe an ID card and type in a 4 digit code on a keypad and then pull a handle to open the door .... so basically your hand washing has been negated by opening doors and using a keypad that 50 or so people could have used/opened in the past hour ... so when you get back to your desk if you have hand sanitizer then you can use it to make sure that your hands are fully clean and virus free

This is taking it all to extreme levels, there is no way you'll avoid germs if you start thinking about where they are.

Desk, mouse, phone, keyboards, mugs, door handles, etc......All have germs.

Don't overthink it or you'll go all OCD

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

I went to the chemist no hand sanitizer they said they will be going straight to hospitals now.
    The large supermarkets have it on all entrance areas now which is brilliant and most shops have it by the tills.
    I hope they don't run out any time soon.

Someone in the chemist me buy witch hazel and tea tree oil and make my own hand sanitizer with aloe Vera.
    I'm all up for trying to make my own but if its not even going to be as effective then what's the point.
    I'm talking now for when out and about after being on the bus etc obviously washing hands would be my first preference but sometimes after opening a door our touching the button on a pedestrian crossing you might just want some handy to clean your hands.
    My kids always wear gloves on the bus going to school they are less likely to touch their faces with wool gloves.
    I wear rubber gloves myself over having dermatitis while cleaning at home and I never touch my face with them as it would feel weird and your more aware of them so I think for most people maybe wearing gloves while working on tills etc would work well and just change them when you think you need to and wash hands then.
    The hand sanitizer can burn sensitive hands or dermatitis.
    Masks in one chemist I saw for €3.50 what a joke like. An insult if anything but if the suppliers have the prices hiked up then fair enough but it shows you who's who.
    A pharmacy by me seeking hand sanitizer sprays 80% alcohol tiny thing €5.
    One woman spent €60
    They woman working in the chemist was scare mongering saying " we need to be prepared" everyone panic buying then.

I bought two. Gave them to my kids for school but they are encouraging extra hand washing even after irish dancing they tell them wash hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Winner

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Just checked Aderts there is some there

YOU DON'T NEED THIS DISEASE YOU DON'T
    YOU DON'T

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

That's so true. I will not be returning to one place anyway they boarded up the door with boxes and you have to order from the door they wear masks and gloves Bit dramatic. Didn't put the prices up but told me stocks will run out so buy now

Where is this happening? How frightening that must be for older people to see that. Surely this is not a chemist behaving in this way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭political analyst

Here's an apt soundtrack. It can be heard 7 minutes and 48 seconds into the following clip - it will sound familiar to some people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGm9jP6vlO8

Hand sanitizer is a waste of time and money. You get Covid19 primarily by breathing in airborne droplets.

Going around in public without a mask, rubbing overpriced sanitizer on your hands is akin to driving a car with a helmet but no seatbelt.

By all means wash your hands regularly; it's a good habit. It will not make a lick of difference to your chance of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

NIMAN wrote: »
    This is taking it all to extreme levels, there is no way you'll avoid germs if you start thinking about where they are.

Desk, mouse, phone, keyboards, mugs, door handles, etc......All have germs.

Don't overthink it or you'll go all OCD

I generally don’t and have no issue with door handles etc and was just giving that as an example but I think the point i was making is that people are trying to be extra careful at the moment so both washing and sanitizing in different situations may give them piece of mind...

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Where is this happening? How frightening that must be for older people to see that. Surely this is not a chemist behaving in this way

A local chemist in cork I got an awful fright

I generally don’t and have no issue with door handles etc and was just giving that as an example but I think the point i was making is that people are trying to be extra careful at the moment so both washing and sanitizing in different situations may give them piece of mind...

One shop I was in was cleaning the buttons on the card payment machine with an antibacterial wipe.
    It's no harm anyway as we don't know 100% how contagious it is.
    And I suppose everyone is trying their best for everyone else.
    It gives people peace of mind.
    It's extremely stressful for elderly or anyone with health issues.
    It's actually stressful for everyone worried about their family members kids etc.
    but I think the news is what sparks all that fear.
    I find if I Keep it simple follow the HSE guide lines and it's pretty straight forward.
    Then there is a few cleaning accounts on Instagram with great cleaning hacks tricks that would save buying the antibacterial cleaners. Like buy the dettol liquid that you dilute. I always have dettol antibacterial cleaning spray products the Odour less ones anyway having young kids.
    Those cleaning products would be good if you had someone at home who tested positive and needed to self quarantine. So they could wipe down surfaces after isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Not exactly plaguey but the video is suitably doomy

• Advertisement

Really, you can't go through life and sanitise your hands after each time you have contact with something that has been touched briefly by another person.

I really don't think that's how the virus is being spread and it's more from human contact and air borne etc.

Hand sanitizer is a waste of time and money. You get Covid19 primarily by breathing in airborne droplets.

Going around in public without a mask, rubbing overpriced sanitizer on your hands is akin to driving a car with a helmet but no seatbelt.

By all means wash your hands regularly; it's a good habit. It will not make a lick of difference to your chance of infection.

The advice is that wearing a mask will not stop you getting the virus.

A mask will prevent a carrier from spreading it not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

My mother is doing this. She keeps producing bottles of 100% rubbing alcohol from nowhere so i know she has a stash.

She also has masks. Not just one type ..many types.

I keep getting the rubbing alcohol on my clothes and its bleaching them! There are spots of white everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,260 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yeah people should really listen to you and ignore the advice from doctors. Breathing in airborne is only one way of contracting the virus. You can catch it from touching surfaces that infected people have touched and subsequently touching your face. washing your hands regularly reduces that risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I think people should listen to the WHO and doctors and not random ill informed posters online .

Yeah people should really listen to you and ignore the advice from doctors. Breathing in airborne is only one way of contracting the virus. You can catch it from touching surfaces that infected people have touched and subsequently touching your face. washing your hands regularly reduces that risk.
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think people should listen to the WHO and doctors and not random ill informed posters online .

There is little to no evidence that it is spread by touching an object and then touching ones face. It may be possible but anyone with any knowledge on the subject will tell you it is not the primary infection vector.

There is a mountain of evidence that it spreads primarily via respitory droplets. Which should be common sense.

People are being told to wash hands in order to avoid a panic. People like to feel like they are doing something. The effectiveness of masks is being downplayed because they are in short supply.
    "The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.

Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
    Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
    Can someone spread the virus without being sick?

People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
    Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

Spread from contact with contaminated surfaces or objects

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

There is little to no evidence that it is spread by touching an object and then touching ones face. It may be possible but anyone with any knowledge on the subject will tell you it is not the primary infection vector.

There is a mountain of evidence that it spreads primarily via respitory droplets. Which should be common sense.

People are being told to wash hands in order to avoid a panic. People like to feel like they are doing something. The effectiveness of masks is being downplayed because they are in short supply.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

so it is possible to be infected by touching surfaces so washing your hands is not a complete waste of time as you insist.

so it is possible to be infected by touching surfaces so washing your hands is not a complete waste of time as you insist.
    Skydivers wear helmets because sometimes they collide in mid-air or bump their head upon landing. Wearing a helmet is not a waste of time.

Wearing a helmet but not a parachute is a waste of time.

Do you see how something can be either a waste of time, or not a waste of time ? The order in which protection measures are implemented is extremely important.

If you are walking around in public without a mask, regular hand-washing will have a negligible effect on your likelihood of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, washing your hands is not a complete waste of time, if anything it will prevent you from getting other things, and being sick with anything now is the last thing you and the healthcare needs.

• Advertisement

Skydivers wear helmets because sometimes they collide in mid-air or bump their head upon landing. Wearing a helmet is not a waste of time.

Wearing a helmet but not a parachute is a waste of time.

Do you see how something can be either a waste of time, or not a waste of time ? The order in which protection measures are implemented is extremely important.

If you are walking around in public without a mask, regular hand-washing will have a negligible effect on your likelihood of infection.

who mentioned masks? they are a waste of time for people not already infected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement