Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Guffy

Tom Hanks confirmed to have it, they had to act in fairness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Will not apply to UK flights though which makes no sense.

Doesn't apply to Ireland either. Schengen only.

505312.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Wait till you see the stock markets tomorrow :eek:

Does anything surprise anyone at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Peregrine wrote: »
    Doesn't apply to Ireland either. Schengen only.

Still dumb as rocks.

Because having to show a passport at the Schengen border isolates everywhere else in Europe from the virus :rolleyes:

Obvious what he's at and the peanut gallery over there and on here will of course lap it up like the fools they are.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Perhaps updated thread title to Shengen zone for those who won't read the thread before losing their sh*t?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

So apparently this doesn't apply to American citizens who would be coming home from Europe. Who would surely be just as likely to carry the virus as a European. I'm genuinely baffled

• Registered Users Posts: 26,342 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

cian68 wrote: »
    So apparently this doesn't apply to American citizens who would be coming home from Europe. Who would surely be just as likely to carry the virus as a European. I'm genuinely baffled
    This is normal with such bans. (Australia currently has a travel ban that prevents you entering if you have been in China in the past 14 days; Australian citizens and permanent residents can enter.)

Countries pretty well have to do this; its fundamental to citizenship that you can enter the country that you are a citizen of. If your citizens are infected or infectious, they are your problem, not someone else's. You can quarantine them or isolate them or spray them with bleach or whatever, but you can't turn them away for some other country to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Ficheall wrote: »
    Perhaps updated thread title to Shengen zone for those who won't read the thread before losing their sh*t?

Yes, please do. I almost had to change my underwear. Flying out in 2 weeks time.

Yes, please do. I almost had to change my underwear. Flying out in 2 weeks time.

People need too make their priority survival at this stage, not whether their jollies are affected.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Per person, but there would be only half as many, assuming equal travel going each direction.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I would posit that they would be even more likely than an average European to be carrying the virus given that they would have been to tourist sites, on a lot of different public transport, in restaurants etc and also other factors such as being tired from jetlag and drinking alcohol a bit more. Just a theory...

sabat wrote: »
    I would posit that they would be even more likely than an average European to be carrying the virus given that they would have been to tourist sites, on a lot of different public transport, in restaurants etc and also other factors such as being tired from jetlag and drinking alcohol a bit more. Just a theory...
    But, conversely, it's easier to manage any risk by encouraging (or requiring) them to isolate themselves, since on their return to the US they'll be in their homes, with their usual family and community support networks available to them. Whereas someone visiting the US for business or tourism, staying in hotels, travelling around, etc, can't isolate themselves.

Hard to blame him really with the numbers said to explode in the eu over next few days

They've enough of a crisis without bringing in some from outside,wish we couldve done same surronding italian rugby supporters last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

They have to be screened and give their full travel info in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Tom Hanks sneezed, bring out your dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Kinda crazy that US people are exempt when it comes to the practicality of the flights. It's more like a repatriation effort of flights will be half full.

Also what do Americans to with upcoming flights to Europe? There's going to be a lot of cancellations.

And he also mentioned goods and trade restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,321 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's insane

lawred2 wrote: »
    That's insane

It’s what’s needed. We should have done the same weeks ago.

8-10 wrote: »
    Kinda crazy that US people are exempt when it comes to the practicality of the flights. It's more like a repatriation effort of flights will be half full.

Also what do Americans to with upcoming flights to Europe? There's going to be a lot of cancellations.

And he also mentioned goods and trade restrictions?
    Word to the wise: never, ever, ever get your information from Donald Trump.

The US has introduced travel restrictions, but they bear little relation to what was announced by Trump, which was wrong in almost every detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭touts

Ficheall wrote: »

I wouldn't update it yet. He only mentioned the UK as being excluded. My bet is we will be added as soon as they get Leo out the door today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Real leadership.

touts wrote: »
    I wouldn't update it yet. He only mentioned the UK as being excluded. My bet is we will be added as soon as they get Leo out the door today.
    The travel restrictions have already been officially promulgated on the Dept of Homeland Security website. They are different in almost every respect from what Trump said in his address.

Anybody who is suprised by this has been living under a rock for the past four years.

touts wrote: »

Any chance his flight back can be cancelled?

MadYaker wrote: »
    He's completely insane. I'd be terrified if I was living in the US. Imagine having him in charge of the response to this.

I'd argue he's the only one showing any kind of leadership on the biggest issue our species has faced since WW2. He should have done it weeks ago though when it became apparent what was developing in China.

People need too make their priority survival at this stage, not whether their jollies are affected.

Absolutely.

I see Trump has told Varadkar he's not meeting with him today im delighted. Hopefully he get's stuck over there the absolute self centred photo op clown.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'd argue he's the only one showing any kind of leadership on the biggest issue our species has faced since WW2. He should have done it weeks ago though when it became apparent what was developing in China.
    Where have you been, BanditLuke? The US introduced similar travel restrictions affecting China some weeks ago. So did several other countries. Perhaps these things only count as "leadership" when they come to your notice?

As for Trump's role in this, it's clear from what he said in his address that he is profoundly ignorant of the policies that his administration has been operating for some time. You may consider that a form of leadership, but I think most people would use a plainer term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭KevRossi

So nothing to stop someone taking a train from north Italy to London and flying to US from there ?

Doesn’t make much sense, but probably better than nothing.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Where have you been, BanditLuke? The US introduced similar travel restrictions affecting China some weeks ago. So did several other countries. Perhaps these things only count as "leadership" when they come to your notice?

As for Trump's role in this, it's clear from what he said in his address that he is profoundly ignorant of the policies that his administration has been operating for some time. You may consider that a form of leadership, but I think most people would use a plainer term.

I'm well aware about the ban on China the point is about europe as you well know my dear boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The muppet said in his address that goods and cargo were banned too before the WH rowed back on that.

I reckon Stephen Miller wrote that speech...ticks all his boxes.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »

Jesus, the paranoia is strong

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement