Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

So so worrying thinking about family members potentially losing their jobs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Wibbs wrote: »
    What's staggering about that figure is that it would give every American, man, woman and child one and half a million dollars each. Make the entire nation all millionaires in one fell swoop. For the price of a marketing and shmoozing bill. Unreal. And repellent.

Wow the US population is way smaller than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

murpho999 wrote: »
    Drive through testing in Wal-Mart parking lots.

Soon it will be dunnes car parks.

Don't worry we got it all under control, it's nice, it's beautiful.
    optogirl wrote: »
    Wow the US population is way smaller than I thought.

Yes only 100,000 live in the us. Don't ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

I previously worked in an industry that was absolutely trashed by the previous recession. While now I'm more secure with an admin role in the public sector, I will not be surprised if the likes of FEMPI, suspension of increments and a whole host of austerity measures come back again.

There will be no austerity on the back of this crisis. Expect big public spending.

It won't be enough to put everything back the way it was 2 months ago lets say, but I'd rest assured that most Govts get that they need to bail out the wider economy just like they did with the financial sector in the last decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭garrettod

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    More likely the Mexicans

Speaking of the Mexicans, what ever happened to the wall that he was going to build, to keep the Mexicans out of the USA?

I really wish the press would start asking him about the wall again :D

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

What's staggering about that figure is that it would give every American, man, woman and child one and half a million dollars each. Make the entire nation all millionaires in one fell swoop. For the price of a marketing and shmoozing bill. Unreal. And repellent.

Go Back to school....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Rufeo wrote: »
    Seriously is there something in the water these days. People are getting more stupid by the hour.

The cabin fever has kicked in early with some folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

WTF is the constant hard on in here with teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    There will be no austerity on the back of this crisis. Expect big public spending.

It won't be enough to put everything back the way it was 2 months ago lets say, but I'd rest assured that most Govts get that they need to bail out the wider economy just like they did with the financial sector in the last decade.

The state doesn't have the capacity to borrow more money to bail out industry.

They will have to be austerity, or the ECB will have to let government's print Euro currency to fund their deficits thus destroying the credibility of the currency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

We took out and stashed a sum of money in a safe place last Wed, before bunkering down at home. I was going to mention it here or to friends and family, to give a heads up... but any time we gave anyone advice last week they told us we were hysterical. It's like a nightmare where you can't scream and all your relatives are doing that suicide thing from the Happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

:pac:

Now, I'm no Stephen Hawking... but I did pass leaving cert maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Vic_08

We took out and stashed a sum of money in a safe place last Wed, before bunkering down at home. I was going to mention it here or to friends and family, to give a heads up... but any time we gave anyone advice last week they told us we were hysterical. It's like a nightmare where you can't scream and all your relatives are doing that suicide thing from the Happening.

If things ever collapse to the point the government is unable to honour the deposit guarantee it is a certainty that your fiat currency banknotes will also be worthless.

But by all means do contribute to the mass hysteria nonsense that is far more likely to create such a scenario than a virus ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I believe the strategy is to get 60% of people infected and (hopefully) recovered. Then we have herd immunity.

However, it has to be done in a controlled way, hence the gradual closing of schools etc. Do it too quickly and panic sets in. Do it too slowly and in the infection rate increases too quickly.

So it's all about balancing the load on the HSE. In Cork they already have a bunch of health care workers recovering from C19 ready to be immune and take over when the next wave of health care workers to succumb. (Might be a bit tin-foil hatish this bit... but maybe not)

That isnt how herd immunity works. Its how people in UK are told it works but its not how it actually works.

In fairness to Wibbs, that number was doing the rounds due to an erroneous CNN(I think) claim..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

OP, go watch Dirty Money on Netflix, take your mind off it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

a bunch of health care workers recovering from C19 ready to be immune

Does contracting and recovering from COVID19 result in immunity from getting it in the future? Could there be a mutated COVID21 next year that rips through the population again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Does contracting and recovering from COVID19 result in immunity from getting it in the future? Could there be a mutated COVID21 next year that rips through the population again?
    No immunity that we know of, as it is a novel virus there isn't much data on this. The Lancet estimates it can live in the respiratory react for 37 days. There is evidence to suggest it could mutate and re-emerge later this year and/or again next year.
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30566-3/fulltext

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

We have plenty crypto and gold already stashed. Just in the short to medium term, we're still using that currency, so no harm having it to hand in case the ATMs are 'out'.

It is harm though isnt it? Because you are contributing to the potential bank run that you so fear

WTF is the constant hard on in here with teachers?

Teachers are the real heroes. Some of us work eleven and a half months during the year without automatically expecting acclaim. And yet the whine is hard to resist on their part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Can't see that it'd be a bad thing if Ireland and UK were included in the travel ban to the US.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'm working from home at the minute but cannot be confident that my projects will weather this well. Already seeing serious disruption.

Plan to smash into Coursera courses straight away tomorrow. An IT networks course the starting point.

In crisis I guess there is some opportunity.

I recommend Coursera for anyone who wants to keep themselves ticking over and most importantly keep the mind busy folks.

Any good for a regular worker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Closing one half of my business come Monday. We test a specific item that is mainly manufactured in China. Things went quiet mid Jan as expected for Chinese New Year but the rest is history as they never reopened after it. Most of the Chinese manufacturers didn't pay their testing bills for obvious reasons and a lot still aren't back or if they are it's slow going.

Unfortunately for us we have accreditation fees that must be paid, but with no cash flow and we are unsure of ever recouping the debts, our hands are tied as a small business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 TravelTiger

ultrapercy wrote: »
    That isnt how herd immunity works. Its how people in UK are told it works but its not how it actually works.

Care to elaborate how it actually works?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm in the middle East so a couple of weeks ahead of ye. I'm not a teacher but I work with children in sport. We've been offered two scenarios, take a varying level of pay reduction depending on how the situation looks in April or take a mutual termination.

Teachers jobs here are on the line. Most schools take fees on a term by term basis and with schools closed and distance learning in place then it's likely many parents will not pay up as they cover possible loss of earnings on their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Some eejit on The Ciara Kelly Show on Newstalk on Friday saying sure its great as we can't go out now and in a few weeks we will all be loaded with money and will all have great craic then, Alot of people are being laid off especially self employed and contractors, part timers etc, its hitting people hard in the pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Nosnon wrote: »
    Mod- All Covid threads merged so everyone can see this without me repeating myself 10 times. All Covid stuff is to go to Current Affairs https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1846

Here is the current thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058060796
    Bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

garrettod wrote: »
    Speaking of the Mexicans, what ever happened to the wall that he was going to build, to keep the Mexicans out of the USA?

I really wish the press would start asking him about the wall again :D

The Mexicans have sent a cheque for 3 billion and asked Trump if he could hurry up and finish it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Ha ha ha.
    There's the proof that you need to fact check ****e you read or hear.

There about 300 people in the states??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I hear about the state of emergency. I hear lots more too. Problem is. I am getting tee'd off with all the silly news stories that are creeping into the real news stories. Result, I am not going to watch the news for the weekend and intend on playing my Laurel and Hardy boxset of DVDs. By Monday I hope Don Don will not have hit the red button. I think he would love to be the Pres who fired the first nuke.

Dan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement