Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options

Comments

I'm about to lose mine and enter the bread line, thankfully public servants like teachers have a soft landing.

Don't be so bitter.
    Now is your chance, if you are unemployed, go back to education & train to be a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I'm about to lose mine and enter the bread line, thankfully public servants like teachers have a soft landing.

Ah this again.

Why didn't you become a teacher so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The irony if Trump got Corona with be a bigly beautiful thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭stinger31

F*ck off, I'm in my mid thirties with two degrees behind me. Don't be so flippant, I worked hard to get where I am now.

What line of work are ya in if you dont mind me asking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭stinger31

I work as a carer in the private sector.

Would have though that would be safe? this time around there probably arent many safe industries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Know two separate people laid off today. One a child minder and one a baggage handler in Dublin airport. The sad part is they are married with a mortgage on a house and their first kid on the way.

Really devastated for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I've never seen as many jobs on offer in the PS/CS as there are now. From clerical officer to Principal officer and something for everyone with two degrees in between.

stinger31 wrote: »
    Would have though that would be safe? this time around there probably arent many safe industries

I deleted my post too late, dear friends on the site will have a field day at my expense. My employer made it clear there will be no pay if I can't visit my clients. At the discretion of the families. I'm not bitter, but there is a lopsided level of protection in this country. To those who say go back to education for four years, get f*cked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I deleted my post too late, dear friends on the site will have a field day at my expense. My employer made it clear there will be no pay if I can't visit my clients. At the discretion of the families. I'm not bitter, but there is a lopsided level of protection in this country. To those who say go back to education for four years, get f*cked.

Lots of carer roles in the public sector, why not use your skills there and have the benefits and soft landing.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I went out with a teacher before. She was much more attractive than me. And she was the one that came onto me, and kicked things off.

Ever since, I can't bring myself to complain about teachers. They're alright in my books.

• Advertisement

That is all you got from my post? Instead of the lack of restrictions of travel?

Yes that’s all I got. Jeesh. Joke much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 haydoyo

Maybe should have picking a degree where you can work from home like IT.

You should upskill in this area while your unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would do your job for half what you get is what I heard last recession, it then went from that to you're all **** on a mat and you must serve us....

Whatever you decide don't work with the public, soul destroying is too nice a word.

haydoyo wrote: »
    Maybe should have picking a degree where you can work from home like IT.

You should upskill in this area while your unemployed.

Hindsight is 20/20, newbie. I'm passionate about what I do. I recommend you find a new hobby, they can actually trace your IP address.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I just came home this evening from London.
    Would you have me get trains, buses, a ferry and a taxi to get home to my family?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 haydoyo

Hindsight is 20/20, newbie. I'm passionate about what I do. I recommend you find a new hobby, they can actually trace your IP address.

I was having a dig because you were saying teachers have a "soft landing".

Maybe stop giving out about teachers and focus on your own career.

And also you posted this thread in after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I was literally made redundant this day 1 week ago. Perfect timing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Who are 'they'?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

And my daughter has been told today that she's on a shorter working week from Wednesday. She's in a hotel.

It's really not looking good, we could have really saved a lot of this if we shut the country....

Yes there would be problems etc but people could still go out, play, mix etc... Now we will end up most likely having a lockdown of some sort

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'm working from home at the minute but cannot be confident that my projects will weather this well. Already seeing serious disruption.

Plan to smash into Coursera courses straight away tomorrow. An IT networks course the starting point.

In crisis I guess there is some opportunity.

I recommend Coursera for anyone who wants to keep themselves ticking over and most importantly keep the mind busy folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Can someone please explain a tracker mortgage to me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

yup ban fliggts, boats and anything that isn't white Irish Catholic

To those who say go back to education for four years, get f*cked.

Why?
    If you are now unemployed it's the perfect time to go back & retrain.
    Plenty did it in the last recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

My sudden recent trip back home to Mexico consisted of being waved through. From leaving Shannon to Heathrow to Newark, Atlanta, and to Culiacan.But coming back, I was scanned out the wazoo once I arrived in the US on the leg of my trip. When I arrived at Shannon, I was just waved on through.

Does that mean you were scanned or you weren't in the US? You've lost me.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Can someone please explain a tracker mortgage to me?

You go with the rates so if they drop so does your repayments.....

If it goes up then it does that too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Exactly. It tracks the ECB (European central bank) interest rates. If rates go up, you pay more. Rates go down, you pay less.

For example, if your tracker mortgage is the +2% margin, and the ECB interest rate is 1%, you will pay 3%. If the ECB rate rises to 2%, you will pay 4%. Hope this helps. :pac:

Sorry to hear this.

What are your two degrees in?

Given the current health pandemic, can your qualifications be something that you could use to get a job in the public sector health area?

Also regarding teaching if your degrees are in the right areas, you can do.a two year masters to become a secondary level teacher in Ireland rather than a four year degree and a further two year post graduate. But even if you go this route your going to have a good few years of bad pay after you quality before you build up to full time hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

i know a teacher and his uncertain about being paid they will know next week, he'll be paid during Easter holidays alright but he reckons secondary schools will see this closure lasting till the summer holidays, its not your fault lads its the so called leaders that failed to act sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

As I posted in the other thread earlier, I heard of 30 people being let go from a travel company in Dublin today. I understand they largely organised tours to northern Italy.

I previously worked in an industry that was absolutely trashed by the previous recession. While now I'm more secure with an admin role in the public sector, I will not be surprised if the likes of FEMPI, suspension of increments and a whole host of austerity measures come back again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement