Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Good to see humans helping humans..

Nice one.
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

You need to tell your parents to stay home and not have too many visitors and they will be fine.

There is no way the peak will be in two weeks, this will go on much longer.

They're not listening. They're still going out at least three times a week shopping, mass etc. Taking precautions re hygeine and staying away from big crowds, cutting down time out but still going out all the same.

And I think the government meant the start of the peak unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

So I have an underlying illness (heart failure), I'm relatively fit, active, mid thirties, everything is good, for now. Seems though I'm in the 'old age or those with underlying condition bracket' when it comes to the stats, and itd seem its not the most desirable percentage to be in!!

It's been portrayed almost as a near death sentence for me, but even with my condition could I still just get a mild strain or if I did contract it just be mildly ill? ie having a condition doesnt mean you're buggered??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Good to see humans helping humans..

Nice one.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1237435123072667649

Fair play China I will give those commies one thing they are bloody efficient.

The HSE if asked what they want by the Chinese will answer beef with black bean sauce and 20,000 spring rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The number is way lower. This is pure scaremongering

I’m not saying it will be the final number. We don’t know the final number. But that’s the current number. Not sure how you can argue otherwise.

It should trend down, but if health services reach capacity. Many people who could have recovered won’t. Basic stuff tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The number is way lower. This is pure scaremongering

0.6% death rate in South Korea, 0.8% on that cruise ship where most were over 70, Italy figure based on their global figures that have only 1.4% of cases being under 19 which means they are missing loads and loads of v mild or asymptomatic cases in young people thus skewing figures. Date rate in a country forewarned will be less than 1% in all likelihood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ryanair have suspended flights to and from Italy until April, but ****ing late but I suppose we couldn't expect Michael o Leary to miss out on making some cash by importing the virus, good lad mick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The death rate worst scenario is based on

Population: 5 million

Estimated infection rate: 60% or 3 million

Mortality risk: 3% - 90,000 in the Republic or 125,000 on the island.

I can understand anxiety among the faithful around curtailed funeral practices but unfortunately this may become the new normal in the next 18 months. It doesn't mean funeral rites have to be set aside but there may be larger scale funerals of 5 or 6 people at a time, sent straight for cremation with very close family only permitted to be present.

If people have a faith then hopefully they can take comfort in it. For those that may be vulnerable it could be prudent to make proper arrangements for their wishes and succession.

I think that is a reasonable comment.

This may play out over a year or two; or much less depending on our actions. Hope for the best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I was in LIDL a few weeks ago seem some lad drop a scone on the floor pick it up and put it back in the tray.

I NEVER buy anything that is not packed.

I reckon the huge push to get loose fruit / veg will be overlooked now as plastic wrapped will be seeked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oh I doubt everyone on sm lie, but a significant number do for whatever sad reason they use to justify it to themselves.

Maybe part of the... factual inaccuracies... is what we used to call "Chinese whispers" after a party game, ie facts get blurred and altered as it is spread around? Innocent mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Chile just imposed a quarantine on passengers arriving from Spain and Italy. Shouldn't we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

The Chinese really are a grand bunch of lads.

Now contrast with the German behaviour yesterday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    So I have an underlying illness (heart failure), I'm relatively fit, active, mid thirties, everything is good, for now. Seems though I'm in the 'old age or those with underlying condition bracket' when it comes to the stats, and itd seem its not the most desirable percentage to be in!!

It's been portrayed almost as a near death sentence for me, but even with my condition could I still just get a mild strain or if I did contract it just be mildly ill? ie having a condition doesnt mean you're buggered??!

You said you’re relatively fit and active Spitfire and that everything is good otherwise so you’re obviously doing something right regarding your illness. Just mind yourself and stay aware and be safe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

SpitfireIV wrote: »

Correct. The stats are out there, higher risk groups are just that; higher risk. Most people in any group have survived.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    The Chinese really are a grand bunch of lads.

Now contrast with the German behaviour yesterday..

What did the Germans do yesterday?

Mellor wrote: »
    I’m not saying it will be the final number. We don’t know the final number. But that’s the current number. Not sure how you can argue otherwise.

It should trend down, but if health services reach capacity. Many people who could have recovered won’t. Basic stuff tbh.

Yeah, it really could go either way.
    And we will never know the true mortality rate.

Although the cfr is inherently an underestimate of true mortality rate, it provides a metric for us to compare across countries, so is valuable in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Surely that's 85K cases, not 85K deaths.

It would only be 85K deaths if literally 100% of the population were infected.

Unfortunately, he did actually say that.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/up-to-85000-irish-people-could-die-from-coronavirus-in-worst-case-scenario-taoiseach-indicates-as-three-more-diagnosed-39029363.html

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

skimpydoo wrote: »
    A good friend of mine Samantha Kelly aka the Tweeting Goddess has started a great new initiative for those of us who are like me and have to self-isolate as you can see below.

https://twitter.com/Tweetinggoddess/status/1237456130575646721?s=20

Isn’t she great using a virus to go viral.

What did the Germans do yesterday?

Stop exporting face masks I think.
    Another poster mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

MCKG wrote: »
    Its south Galway.

Different, this would be north east Clare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

0.6% death rate in South Korea, 0.8% on that cruise ship where most were over 70, Italy figure based on their global figures that have only 1.4% of cases being under 19 which means they are missing loads and loads of v mild or asymptomatic cases in young people thus skewing figures. Date rate in a country forewarned will be less than 1% in all likelihood

Thank you for a reassuring post we need more like it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I reckon the huge push to get loose fruit / veg will be overlooked now as plastic wrapped will be seeked out.

God made a mistake by not including most fruit and veg to have their own wrapping and packaging of some sort.

voluntary wrote: »
    Chile just imposed a quarantine on passengers arriving from Spain and Italy. Shouldn't we?

Yes, we should have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

I don’t know if any of you watched the France 24 last night.
    They had two french experts on the set and an American and Italian on videocon.
    One of the french was very you have to measure your response... the other one was it’s just a flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Im informed of a suspected case in nenagh hospital this afternoon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The government needs to be one step ahead, not two behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

JJayoo wrote: »
    Ryanair have suspended flights to and from Italy until April, but ****ing late but I suppose we couldn't expect Michael o Leary to miss out on making some cash by importing the virus, good lad mick
    No running down of aerlingus? Only seems fair

igCorcaigh wrote: »

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Germany had banned exports of face masks and other protective equipment and the French government had decided to take over production of protective masks.

Thankfully, just earlier this evening the European Council agreed that the EU will jointly procure face masks and respirators for member states.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement