Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Best we've got, officially.

TPR6YQx.png
    Sex is irrelevant except to the individuals concerned, what we should be getting are the cities/nearest large towns where cases are detected..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Have to say The Guardian website and app is superb on this - brilliant live updates for UK and internationally, and lots of articles and stats around CV as a whole. If I need the essential info it's my first stop (with Boards a close second obviously)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are we in Ireland supposed to be following WHO guidelines? I see they have a document about getting your workplace COVID19 ready. It states that anyone with a cough or mild fever should be told to stay at home. Or anyone who has needed to take paracetamol or ibuprofen as they mask symptoms. This is obviously not happening here. So do the WHO guidelines not apply to Ireland? Does the HSE not think this is necessary for Ireland?
    Where I work that's been the protocol for three weeks

Cough, or even a head cold and it's off working from home for two weeks you go

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Stheno wrote: »

May I ask is it a big company?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Stewball

I seen someone earlier coughing into their jumper - they lifted up the neckline above their nose and then coughed.

I thought that was a good way of doing it - but is it good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

joe40 wrote: »
    With good hygiene and no symptoms she should be able to visit her father. This virus could be with us for months/years. I don't why we have the idea that everything will be fine in a few weeks.
    This might be something we have to manage long term.

Yeah, the attitude of I'm visiting my father even if it kills him is the worrying part for me.

The guy in the bed beside her father who is only in for a bit of respite and intends getting out soon, may not see it the same way, nor would his family.

This thing got into a hospice in Italy last week, it was outright carnage in mere days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    May I ask is it a big company?

Yes

Over 150000 employees with a large presence in Asia

We had a global travel ban imposed in January for example

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

My place too, and others I know of.

People don't see these implemented wherever they are and assume it's not happening anywhere in Ireland.

How dumb an opinion to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Lucky ye...

Not very many companies who would be so accommodating to employees complaining of a cough or head cold. Half my office would have been self isolating the past few weeks if that was the case!

Then again, we don't have the option to work from home either.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

There was one confirmed case in Dundalk today. Does that fall under North or East?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

:confused:

What do the hysterical earlier threads prove exactly?

That the people in those threads you consider hysterical, had a far superior grasp of the potential seriousness of this pandemic than you, Strazdas and your ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aloevera33

What happens people who genuinely have a chest infection ( not coronavirus) and cant visit G.P now

Stewball wrote: »
    I seen someone earlier coughing into their jumper - they lifted up the neckline above their nose and then coughed.

If you do it like that it’s very easy for you to be coughing in your hand/your hand touching your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Smaller EU Countries are afraid for their healthcare systems to be overwhelmed,
    think of Malta, Cyprus, Slovenia, how many beds do they have ?
    While France, Germany and Spain now have 5000 cases combined.
    And still no significant measures.
    I am afraid they intend to "normalise" the virus just to keep the economy going.

Lucky ye...

Not very many companies who would be so accommodating to employees complaining of a cough or head cold. Half my office would have been self isolating the past few weeks if that was the case!

Then again, we don't have the option to work from home either.

Everyone of the 400 odd employees in our Irish offices can work from home

All supplier visits are banned as are attendance at conferences, and visits by contractors

Normally people work from home a day or two a week in my place

Go in and sneeze ad you are sent home at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Someone earlier posted a link to the breakdown of the Italian stats. I couldn’t open one link and the other link was Italian.
    I translated it. Here’s some of the info:

10% of cases are asymptomatic, 5% with few symptoms, 30% with mild symptoms, 31% are symptomatic, 6% have severe symptoms and 19% are critical. 24% of the cases examined are hospitalized. The analysis confirms that 56.6% of the deceased people are over 80 years old, and two thirds of these have 3 or more pre-existing chronic diseases.

So that 56.6% of:

The analysis, out of 8342 positive cases at 9 March at 10 am, shows that 1.4% are under the age of 19, 22.0% are in the 19-50 range, 37.4% between 51 and 70 and 39.2% are over 70, for a median age of 65. 62.1% are men. There are 583 positive health workers.

They are mental stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Unfortunately it's not implemented widely. I'd say most workplaces haven't a clue. I see plenty of shop assistants coughing and sniffing, and I was working in a school last week and it was the same there. Teachers and students coughing and sneezing everywhere. And I can't see this advice from the HSE anywhere, either directly or with links to the WHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Stewball wrote: »

A guy I work with always sneezes and coughs like that. We used to always laugh when he did it and poke fun. Not so much anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

torres9kop wrote: »
    Feels like this....

That's the movie I was thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Testing people getting off flights from italy or elsewhere is a waste of time because symptoms may not show for 5 days or even at all, as in one of the Wuhan cases where her family got severe pneumonia and she had nothing.

I still think testing people coming from Italy would have been a good idea. Keeping them all in isolation for 7 days would have been a good idea. Doing a followup test after a week would have been a good idea.

Anyway, that ship has now sailed (or that plane has now flown I suppose). There is still much to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

aloevera33 wrote: »
    What happens people who genuinely have a chest infection ( not coronavirus) and cant visit G.P now

Good question. There are video doctors with VHI plans although they've changed partnerships and no longer possible to do via the app.

It's dead handy, you can use the camera on the phone to show any problems etc.
    Might be worth bringing in a national level if this thing rolls on.

Technically not very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Travelers have came out with their own hand washing method:

https://twitter.com/clodaghmeaney_/status/1237448167584608258?s=21

Gintonious wrote: »
    It’s too late for us:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

There was an old man in Lidl earlier and he was coughing his face off. It sounded more like a “something went down the wrong way” cough than anything else, but his face was gone red and he got so bad he had to sit down on top of the waters to catch a breather. Usually I would ask if he’s alright but I just didn’t take the chance and I feel guilty about it since because everyone was avoiding him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aloevera33

Good question. There are video doctors with VHI plans although they've changed partnerships and no longer possible to do via the app.

It's dead handy, you can use the camera on the phone to show any problems etc.
    Might be worth bringing in a national level if this thing rolls on.

Technically not very difficult.

Good to know thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 swansea

Italy death rate has jumped from 168 to 631. They're a lot of teachers around the country who are not young and will have harder time if they get it.

I don't believe for a minute the virus is not spreading.The disease coming in from Italy, the deadly strain of the coronavirus is here. Best to contain now before its too late. We seem to just waiting till more people get before we react.

Gone from 463 to 631, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I'm a bit appalled by the handling of this and the attitudes of people in the country.

Testing people getting off flights from italy or elsewhere is a waste of time because symptoms may not show for 5 days or even at all, as in one of the Wuhan cases where her family got severe pneumonia and she had nothing.

A doctor speaking from a hospital in Italy says they are having to choose who gets to live and who dies because they are completely overwhelmed and that even young people are intubated on life support, and to please "stop saying it is like a bad flu."

Why are people going around with an attitude that it is 'inevitable' they will get it, and it is just a bad cold if i do etc?? What about passing it on? What about others?

Why are some people not even bothering with the hand sanitisers coming in and out of offices and universities?

Why on earth are people being forced into meetings and 'business as usual' when this virus can clearly be passed on through breath, sneezing, coughing, laughing, basically being around others.

The virus is killing people, it might not have been expressed fully here yet, but give it another week with these attitudes and we will all be in trouble. Accuse me of scaremongering, blah blah

Unfortunately, people need a sledgehammer in the face in this country, before they get the message sometimes!

Italy had the same numbers as us a little over 3 weeks ago... now they have over 10,000 with over 600 deaths!

If over 600 people were killed by a big bomb call Covid 19... I suspect people might be a bit more inclined to take notice. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I swim most days , we were all standing around talking about carona virus / precautions and then this guy does a double clear his nose on the path we all walk by , was going to pull him up on it , but would have been a row - but seriously some ****in people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

fr336 wrote: »
    Have to say The Guardian website and app is superb on this - brilliant live updates for UK and internationally, and lots of articles and stats around CV as a whole. If I need the essential info it's my first stop (with Boards a close second obviously)

They're doing a great job.

I see that UK are releasing a data visualisation tool to map geographical spread.

We don't need that of course, with only four options.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement