Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,859 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Community Spread sounds like a locally produced Butter .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Does anyone actually believe a word the chinese say? To go from hundreds and thousands of cases on some days to 0 is BS in my book and they are trying to look after their economy.

Release virus and cause short term slow down to their own economy. Spread the virus to shake up the West. Assume greater economic supremacy in the post CVid world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Does anyone actually believe a word the chinese say? To go from hundreds and thousands of cases on some days to 0 is BS in my book and they are trying to look after their economy.

Well XI going into Wuhan would indicate things are improving, he doesn't strike me as the kind who would risk it otherwise lol but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

otnomart wrote: »
    Follow the social distancing and hygiene rules - same as in Italy:
    -wash hands/use gel

-keep distance of at least 1 meter
    -shop at off-peak hours whenever possible

-no handshakes

I'm sure I seen a twitter post from China that it would need to be over 4.5 metres.

https://twitter.com/Castletonian/status/1237218895062347778?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1237218895062347778&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2058059990%26page%3D153

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

0 outside Wuhan isn't it? Can happen when you enforce a lockdown and quarantine with an iron fist. We let a pile of Italians in for a piss up last weekend ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Release virus and cause short term slow down to their own economy. Spread the virus to shake up the West. Assume greater economic supremacy in the post CVid world.
    They had the antidote, before november/december 2019. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

delly wrote: »
    I spoke to my GP on this as my daughter is also in the underlying condition bracket. She said that while the underlying condition is a factor, the major point was the overall body health because of the condition. So if somebody was recovering from surgery or taking chemotherapy, then they would be in a much worse position, whereas if you are overall healthy, it's thought not to be as bad if you are under 60. It's all subjective of course, but that did give me some reassurance.

Cheers :-) This whole underlying condition is relatively new to me, keep forgetting that I'm in the 'at risk' category. Hope all's good with your daughter :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

0 outside Wuhan isn't it? Can happen when you enforce a lockdown and quarantine with an iron fist. We let a pile of Italians in for a piss up last weekend ffs.

Yes. A poor decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

owlbethere wrote: »
    This is good news. Thanks

I wrote it here last night that China better step up after the mess the made.

China didnt make the mess! It was the bloody virus that made the mess. It fact, China did everything it could to stop spreading. It could have started in any country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The death rate worst scenario is based on

Population: 5 million

Estimated infection rate: 60% or 3 million

Mortality risk: 3% - 90,000 in the Republic or 125,000 on the island.

I can understand anxiety among the faithful around curtailed funeral practices but unfortunately this may become the new normal in the next 18 months. It doesn't mean funeral rites have to be set aside but there may be larger scale funerals of 5 or 6 people at a time, sent straight for cremation with very close family only permitted to be present.

If people have a faith then hopefully they can take comfort in it. For those that may be vulnerable it could be prudent to make proper arrangements for their wishes and succession.

Would you ever feck off with this scaremongering BS.

Sick of clueless people posting ****e like this. Should be instantly banned for posting such nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sounds legit, in infowarsverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

If those Italians were affected, and something tells me you’d get a greater proportion of Northern Italians supporting rugby, people who were out that weekend haven’t even begun to show symptoms yet. It was pure lunacy to allow Italians in through Dublin airport at the weekend. There’s no way this virus won’t start to show overwhelming prevalence in Dublin over the next few weeks.

sparkle109 wrote: »
    Not sure if it’s already been answered or not yet, but when China lift their restrictions are they expecting to manage the spread better? Will it not just spread exponentially again?
    I would like to know if this has been discussed also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The whole Cheltenham thing seems so bizarre. But can see why people would just be like **** it and go for it. There’s no consensus about the measures we should be taking, even though avoiding a crowd such as the one attending Chettlenam seems an obvious one. But either daily life grinds to a halt or it doesn’t. At end of the day, society, or modern society isn’t set up to deal with such a threat.

Always good to ask cui bono with these decisions.

Lucius Cassius, whom the Roman people used to regard as a most honest and most wise judge, was in the habit of asking time and again in lawsuits: "to whom might it be for a benefit?"

Some questions in my mind this can be applied too.
    • to not ban flights
    • to not ban parades
    • to ban or not ban visitors in nursing home
    • to only test on narrow criteria

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cui_bono

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked a zillion times...

But what income support do workers who have to stay at home either through symptoms (and subsequent isolation) or if the business shuts for a while?

Particularly about self isolation and not being able to get a med cert because GP visit is not recommended.

Anyone got a link to the recommended advice right now?

I think it varies from company to company. The company I work for said they will not shut under any circumstances and if anyone self isolates will only get the government sick pay and face disciplinary action upon return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Naggdefy wrote: »
    The Chinese really are a grand bunch of lads.

Now contrast with the German behaviour yesterday..

As a strong advocate of the EU...

Germanys behavior yesterday was unacceptable.

Shame on them.

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Don't know if it has been mentioned already, but I've heard talk that there has been a case in Kilkenny City, but, like I say, tis just talk. I work in the city and have heard its connected to a office based workplace that has had a percentage of its staff sent home to isolate.

I'm sure everyone knows someone, who knows someone that has it :-P

I don't. I don't know anyone who claims to have it or claims to know someone who has it.

Sh!t.. does that mean I have it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

It seems to be stabilised in China and stabilising in South Korea, Italy and other European countries will get on top of it with the drastic measures they will take/ took in about three weeks , the USA is fairly isolated but could be a disaster waiting to happen and Iran is a big worry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

This is a sobering watch.

Dr. Michael Osterholm is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, and the founding director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota. An internationally renowned epidemiologist, he has been at the forefront of public health preparedness, has led many outbreak investigations of international importance, and advises world leaders on the ever-growing list of microbial threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

BloodBath wrote: »

Sick of clueless people posting ****e like this. Should be instantly banned for posting such nonsense.

That was exactly what the Taoiseach said in his press conference yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Attack the post not the poster. Same could be said for those who call epidemiologists morons.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Would you ever feck off with this scaremongering BS. Sick of clueless people posting ****e like this. Should be instantly banned for posting such nonsense.

The Taoiseach said mathematical modelling to predict the trend of the virus will have to be continually updated to take account of fast-changing data. But he said what was learnt so far from other countries and other experience suggested that “up to 50pc or 60pc” of the country’s population could get coronavirus... “There will be a significant proportion who will require critical care. And a percentage that we don’t know, we honestly don’t know yet – it could be less than 1pc, it could be as much as 3pc – or 3.4pc – mortality. We don’t know yet,” the Taoiseach warned.
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/up-to-85000-irish-people-could-die-from-coronavirus-in-worst-case-scenario-taoiseach-indicates-as-three-more-diagnosed-39029363.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Yes. A poor decision.

Although probably not exactly a piss up. When they saw Temple bar prices was probably 8 Italians taking sips of a half pint instead of the standard 4 Italians to a half pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Silvius

delly wrote: »
    I spoke to my GP on this as my daughter is also in the underlying condition bracket. She said that while the underlying condition is a factor, the major point was the overall body health because of the condition. So if somebody was recovering from surgery or taking chemotherapy, then they would be in a much worse position, whereas if you are overall healthy, it's thought not to be as bad if you are under 60. It's all subjective of course, but that did give me some reassurance.

Also spoke to my GP as in similar bracket and same advice. Acknowledge that you're higher risk, then stay as healthy as possible, keep eating well, exercising, mind your mental health if this thing really kicks off and you're restricted socially. Instead of going to restaurants/pubs get out in nature and if you're stuck at home fill the time with meaningful activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It's not unbelievable when you see the pollution clearing on satellite imagery from so many factories shutting and footage of the empty streets. They clearly shut everything down and it's obvious that would stop the spread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Lucius Cassius, whom the Roman people used to regard as a most honest and most wise judge, was in the habit of asking time and again in lawsuits: "to whom might it be for a benefit?"

• to not ban flights
    • to not ban parades

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cui_bono

A useful rule of thumb to protect against naivety.
    Only one tool in the arsenal.

Relying on it as your sole measure, leads to paranoia and delusion.

BloodBath wrote:

MadYaker wrote: »
    That was exactly what the Taoiseach said in his press conference yesterday

He should be banned too. :D Not bloodbath just Leo....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Joe Rogan new podcast about the virus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw

1 of the comments..

Coronavirus symptoms:
    1. Dry Cough
    2. Fever
    3. Joint pain
    4. Sudden urge to travel internationally

pretty pretty....pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

• to not ban flights
    • to not ban parades

I wouldnt bother even ask our bono and just do whats best for eire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Loughc wrote: »
    I think it varies from company to company. The company I work for said they will not shut under any circumstances and if anyone self isolates will only get the government sick pay and face disciplinary action upon return.

Very tough on businesses. We have a decision to make this week too, I think it will be government sick pay only too. We won't be implementing disciplinary action though, if people want unpaid leave they can have it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement