Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

otnomart wrote: »
    Mental health helplines should ramp up support there.
    Or even having a dedicated HSE support line dedicated to this.

That is an excellent idea.
    A separate helpline for the worried well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Drumpot wrote: »
    That might be actually where we could ask our retired professional workers to help out. Instead of being on the frontline , be on the end of a line to chat with people?!

This country is so wrapped up in redtape and lawsuits that it would not be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Some coronavirus patients experience nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea before they get a fever. They could spread the virus through poop.

https://www.businessinsider.com/some-wuhan-coronavirus-patients-have-nausea-vomiting-diarrhea-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Yep and I think that’s why I feel so guilty and am thinking about it since. How something like this has completely altered how I respond to a situation. Unfortunately I have a close family member who would be in the extremely high risk category so I just could not take the chance. I did take a glance over as I was leaving and he seemed to be pottering about so I’m sure he’s okay.

Not to worry retro. Your heart is in the right place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I think a few positives are in order. Fair play to the people that pushed for this.

Parades are cancelled.
    Government ramping up response.
    It's clearly not the flu.
    Airlines cancelling flights.

What other measures do people feel strongly about on here that could help contain this outbreak?

One big one in mind is community transmission testing. Until someone is in hospital and serious like that person in cork they won't get tested? That seems a bit mad to me. How many hospital staff subsequently contracted the disease or had to self isolate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I don't understand the obsession with knowing where the cases are.

Surely people should take the exact same precautions no matter where.

It's a rapidly moving contagious disease and we are a small country.

Just assume it's everywhere because if it isn't it soon will be.

Have you got D'Virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Downlinz wrote: »
    5% death rate of 1.9m infected as was the figure suggested as a worst case scenario would be in the region of 95k deaths. That's with less than half of the population infected.

Exactly. and that is to emphasis, WORST case scenario. That is by no means, the base outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Empty stadium in Valencia for the champions league game and it's looks really weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Downlinz wrote: »
    5% death rate of 1.9m infected as was the figure suggested as a worst case scenario would be in the region of 95k deaths. That's with less than half of the population infected.

Where are you getting the 5% figure? And why do people here always jump to the worst case scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

thebaz wrote: »
    so true, I suffer with anxiety/depression and this is not helping , thats why I keep searching for the little positives - keep me going

You could help yourself massively by staying off boards and social media, why do that to yourself if you suffer anxiety, do all you can to help yourself and give social media a break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This country is so wrapped up in redtape and lawsuits that it would not be possible.

It is happening. Retired nurses and paramedics are bring canvassed for voluntary return to duty. My colleague's father is a retired Ambo and he was phoned by an officer he knew.

I haven't heard about Doctors, Consultants etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Shop here only has single ply toilet paper.
    My ass is to posh for dat.

You need these:

FmgjYwh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It is happening. Retired nurses and paramedics are bring canvassed for voluntary return to duty. My colleague's father is a retired Ambo and he was phoned by an officer he knew.

I haven't heard about Doctors, Consultants etc

Happy to hear that, do you know if he accepted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Most people, even those in a high risk group, will be just fine. Its very worrying I know, and I've talked to my parents too (70's).

Keep it balanced and inject a sense of humour into the conversation too. No point in them worrying themselves to death. And be there for them.

No. Anyone in a high risk group is in huge trouble. I dont want to be alarmist but lets not bury our heads in the sand any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

twirlagig wrote: »
    I wish they would mention the towns affected, if not that, even the County would do. Might wake up people a small bit if they know it’s near them.
    I honestly cannot get over the amount of people that still seem to not give a fcuk about this. :(

Yes, because that would REALLY help with the panic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Mum and I live 3.5 hours by car apart.
    She has done some shopping at my and my 2 sisters insistence - 32 rolls of toilet paper !

She had been saying she was fine and insists on going to Mass every day followed by nearby shop to get newspaper etc.

But that article today (on the lack of funerals) seemed to have rattled her plus Leo on the TV didn't help.

I am going to set her up with Tesco online I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

What other measures do people feel strongly about on here that could help contain this outbreak?
    Follow the social distancing and hygiene rules - same as in Italy:
    -wash hands/use gel

-keep distance of at least 1 meter
    -shop at off-peak hours whenever possible

-no handshakes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

Where are you getting the 5% figure? And why do people here always jump to the worst case scenario?

Because people might take extra measures, knowing that if they don't, 95,000 could die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Probably posted. Good video today channel 4 news

https://youtu.be/9mrPHO-nkVE

Giacoma Grasselli, senior Italian govt health official helping to manage Lombardy outbreak. Cannot embed on phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Is there a possibility that the govt will insist that large gatherings will be stopped. Lots of exhibitions coming up in the RDS for example. The organisers seem to be full steam ahead. Lots of the vendors would prefer them to be cancelled and to get a refund...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

A good friend of mine Samantha Kelly aka the Tweeting Goddess has started a great new initiative for those of us who are like me and have to self-isolate as you can see below.

https://twitter.com/Tweetinggoddess/status/1237456130575646721?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    There’s a curiosity around that given a GPs online insistence that there were cases in his area and repeated demands from him that schools be closed. So far it seems there is no news of that happening. Perhaps none of this evenings cases were schoolchildren.

PHET seems to be sticking to its guns that there is no need for wider school closure or limits on visitors to hospitals or nursing homes. Given what’s coming out from Italy from doctors about the consequences of delay they seem very confident that they are right. One to watch.

What area was this, wondering does it tie up with what I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Mum and I live 3.5 hours by car apart.
    She has done some shopping at my and my 2 sisters insistence - 32 rolls of toilet paper !

She had been saying she was fine and insists on going to Mass every day followed by nearby shop to get newspaper etc.

But that article today (on the lack of funerals) seemed to have rattled her plus Leo on the TV didn't help.

Fair play to you online shopping is a Godsend.

As regards the bit in bold seeing him of TV never helps me either.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Two things making me more panicky by the day - 1. Italy 2. The UK goverment today telling us that the peak of the outbreak here will be within 2 weeks. As someone with parents just turned 70 with underlying health conditions, it's like being told war will start in two weeks and there's nothing you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

blackcard wrote: »
    Because people might take extra measures, knowing that if they don't, 95,000 could die

So make people panic...great...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hurrache wrote: »
    Well, he didn't say that for starters

And those funeral measures aren't required either.

Those funeral restrictions to me seem to be a jumping the gun. No need to be releasing stuff when it hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

SusanC10 wrote: »

Didn’t even know they did a dating app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Gintonious wrote: »
    Yes, because that would REALLY help with the panic...

I am not looking for panic stations at all.
    Just awareness. I’d rather know where it was and that people take preventative measures rather than thinking ‘ah it’s probably not here they’re talking about’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Don't know if it has been mentioned already, but I've heard talk that there has been a case in Kilkenny City, but, like I say, tis just talk. I work in the city and have heard its connected to a office based workplace that has had a percentage of its staff sent home to isolate.

I'm sure everyone knows someone, who knows someone that has it :-P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement