Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Still amazed Cheltenham went ahead. Money talks I suppose.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

twirlagig wrote: »
    I am not looking for panic stations at all.
    Just awareness. I’d rather know where it was and that people take preventative measures rather than thinking ‘ah it’s probably not here they’re talking about’

It will be everywhere. Just need to act sensibly

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Hurrache wrote: »
    And those funeral measures aren't required either.

It's a business associstion recommending steps to protect its staff and customers. Not too different from Trinity College closing itself down.

Plus it might be the wake-up call that some elderly people need to start protecting themselves. My 92 yr old aunt, for example, is understandably reasonably blasé about her own mortality, but was utterly horrified by the idea that her carefully scripted funeral might not happen. Prior to this no power on earth could stop her daily wanderings around supermarkets and cafés, today she asked a neighbour to do her shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

skimpydoo wrote: »
    A good friend of mine Samantha Kelly aka the Tweeting Goddess has started a great new initiative for those of us who are like me and have to self-isolate as you can see below.

https://twitter.com/Tweetinggoddess/status/1237456130575646721?s=20

Great way to maintain your online profile whilst self isolating. I've heard it all now.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stheno wrote: »
    Quite frankly I would refuse a job offer if I could not work from home
    I think this whole situation will accelerate changes to the "office" culture

Previously I thought there would be a gradual move towards remote working over the next decade or so. As people, and businesses, face the reality of this virus I think they will realise they can get as much work done at home and perhaps commute once or twice a week. That way people get a better overall lifestyle and employers get happier employees. I can see this taking off over the next couple of years on the back of current "experiences" of working with this virus around

It will only work for office jobs, but it will still take a lot of pressure off public and private transport, and indeed will be better for the environment. It may also take a bit of pressure off the housing crisis as people realise they don't need to be wedded to the City centre. This may be one positive that comes out of this current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Didn’t even know they did a dating app.

That made me laugh! Thank you :)

d51984 wrote: »
    Still amazed Cheltenham went ahead. Money talks I suppose.

It’s a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

It has all been handled badly by the "Health Authorities" worldwide and here. Unfortunately, our Govt copped out by declaring they were listening to them rather than using common sense. You don't need to be a medical expert to be able to foresee that continuing to allow flights to land here from Italy would inevitably spread the disease further.

The "experts" have failed. The horses are long since bolted. They have lost, spectacularly.

We need something like a CSDC (Common Sense Decision Committee) to take over now and to be there for future similar occurrences. To take immediate actions based on common sense. Forget about the self-important people inputting data into computers and producing useless graphs (like in the case of the "experts" in the Volcanic Ash disruption). The CSDC would be making decisions to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MCKG

What area was this, wondering does it tie up with what I know.

Its south Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

You could help yourself massively by staying off boards and social media, why do that to yourself if you suffer anxiety, do all you can to help yourself and give social media a break

just cause I suffer depression doenst mean I cant use social media or be aware of what is going on - but I do take a break - taking one now - and I keep threatening to end my boards account/ maybe I should, life might be nicer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

No. Anyone in a high risk group is in huge trouble. I dont want to be alarmist but lets not bury our heads in the sand any longer.

Most of them should be OK. I'm very aware of how bad this is, but most do come through this. Even high risk groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

So make people panic...great...

People could panic or take this thing serious.

Wash our paws and don't touch our snouts.
    If the old can say in for a few weeks and avoid most visits and have their shopping delivered it would help so much.

If you were sitting on high speed train tracks would me telling you about the oncoming train be a bad thing causing panic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

It will be everywhere. Just need to act sensibly

That’s exactly what I’m saying, most people on here know that. But not everyone is on boards and I really think a lot of people don’t think a fraction of the country will get it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Where are you getting the 5% figure? And why do people here always jump to the worst case scenario?

5% is about the current the resolved case death rate. Actually it’s 6% globally and 8% Italy.
    5% is a reasonable figure to use at this point. Worst case I’d much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The death rate worst scenario is based on

Population: 5 million

Estimated infection rate: 60% or 3 million

Mortality risk: 3% - 90,000 in the Republic or 125,000 on the island.

I can understand anxiety among the faithful around curtailed funeral practices but unfortunately this may become the new normal in the next 18 months. It doesn't mean funeral rites have to be set aside but there may be larger scale funerals of 5 or 6 people at a time, sent straight for cremation with very close family only permitted to be present.

If people have a faith then hopefully they can take comfort in it. For those that may be vulnerable it could be prudent to make proper arrangements for their wishes and succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

No. Anyone in a high risk group is in huge trouble. I dont want to be alarmist but lets not bury our heads in the sand any longer.

This is not true. This is complete alarmism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Beasty wrote: »

Previously I thought there would be a gradual move towards remote working over the next decade or so. As people, and businesses, face the reality of this virus I think they will realise they can get as much work done at home and perhaps commute once or twice a week. That way people get a better overall lifestyle and employers get happier employees. I can see this taking off over the next couple of years on the back of current "experiences" of working with this virus around

It will only work for office jobs, but it will still take a lot of pressure off public and private transport, and indeed will be better for the environment. It may also take a bit of pressure off the housing crisis as people realise they don't need to be wedded to the City centre. This may be one positive that comes out of this current situation.

We have seen more and more uptake in working from in the last year in my company. No doubt this will accelerate it massively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

fr336 wrote: »
    Two things making me more panicky by the day - 1. Italy 2. The UK goverment today telling us that the peak of the outbreak here will be within 2 weeks. As someone with parents just turned 70 with underlying health conditions, it's like being told war will start in two weeks and there's nothing you can do about it.

You need to tell your parents to stay home and not have too many visitors and they will be fine.

There is no way the peak will be in two weeks, this will go on much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Beasty wrote: »

Yes was thinking the exact same thing. In my work there has been discussions about it and the higher management are 50/50 on it. Some of them are set in their ways and don't think it will work.

This forced scenario is an ideal pilot to show that it will work in my opinion. So many benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Empty stadium in Valencia for the champions league game and it's looks really weird.

You can hear the fans chanting outside the stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Originally Posted by caveat emptor.

View Post
    What other measures do people feel strongly about on here that could help contain this outbreak?

I'd like to see the supermarkets put all their baked goods, bread, scones, tarts etc, along with their fruit & veg under wraps. Was in Dunnes and LIDL today and both had a lot of produce exposed to all & sundry. I didn't buy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Good to see humans helping humans..

Nice one.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1237435123072667649

Mellor wrote: »
    5% is about the current the resolved case death rate. Actually it’s 6% globally and 8% Italy.
    5% is a reasonable figure to use at this point. Worst case I’d much higher.

The number is way lower. This is pure scaremongering

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

twirlagig wrote: »
    I am not looking for panic stations at all.
    Just awareness. I’d rather know where it was and that people take preventative measures rather than thinking ‘ah it’s probably not here they’re talking about’

The best thing you can do is take the measures yourself. Wash your hands, drink water, stay calm, live your life.

Even if you knew it was in a certain town, what would that achieve? You could go to that town and still not get it, that's not how the virus can be caught.

Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,317 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

fr336 wrote: »
    Two things making me more panicky by the day - 1. Italy 2. The UK goverment today telling us that the peak of the outbreak here will be within 2 weeks. As someone with parents just turned 70 with underlying health conditions, it's like being told war will start in two weeks and there's nothing you can do about it.

Actually, the start of the UK peak of the coronavirus epidemic is expected within the next fortnight... the peak count run for weeks.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Comhra wrote: »
    I'd like to see the supermarkets put all their baked goods, bread, scones, tarts etc, along with their fruit & veg under wraps. Was in Dunnes and LIDL today and both had a lot of produce exposed to all & sundry. I didn't buy...

I was in LIDL a few weeks ago seem some lad drop a scone on the floor pick it up and put it back in the tray.

I NEVER buy anything that is not packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I would take it that his quality of life is dreadful. At some point death doesn't seem like a bad option. No visitors on the other hand make life even worse.

If she visits him in his room, going in without meeting other residents, masked etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    None of those links work for me?
    try these
    otnomart wrote: »
    Italy publishes: number of tests; positives; hospitalised; in intensive care; age profile of victims; comorbidities of victims https://www.iss.it/coronavirus/-/asset_publisher/1SRKHcCJJQ7E/content/id/5292020? and http://opendatadpc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/dae18c330e8e4093

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement