Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Great news, at least on my side!

Mother-in-law has decided not to come, and instead fly back to her homeland, Argentina, tomorrow. Best decision really instead of lumping about in Italy or ****ing our family over in Dublin. A huge sense of relief off my chest anyway.
    Hallelujah.
    She will be safer in Argentina than in Ireland, only 17 cases there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Xertz wrote: »
    I'm just wondering about the psychology of this. We could probably all put up with this for a month or two, living like recluses and avoiding contact and so on, but there'll come a point where there's serious issues with how this psychologically impacts a lot of people.

so true, I suffer with anxiety/depression and this is not helping , thats why I keep searching for the little positives - keep me going

• Registered Users Posts: 37 swansea

Bobtheman wrote: »
    So no school closures ?

No. The posts made earlier were, surprisingly, untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

If place shuts down I take it means avoiding contact with people - but I take it you could still go Out for a run ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm just wondering about the psychology of this. We could probably all put up with this for a month or two, living like recluses and avoiding contact and so on, but there'll come a point where there's serious issues with how this psychologically impacts a lot of people.

It's the primary reason to delay phase 2 apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Strazdas wrote: »
    Not for now. You would think case numbers would have to go much higher (or something alarming happening in Europe).

Something alarming like Italy going into lockdown? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I don't understand the obsession with knowing where the cases are.

Surely people should take the exact same precautions no matter where.

It's a rapidly moving contagious disease and we are a small country.

Just assume it's everywhere because if it isn't it soon will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jester77 wrote: »
    Nothing in the midlands yet? Our are they counted in those figures?

Ohh yes there is, could be counted in those figures hard to know as they drive to work in one area but live in the other. I'd like to know where the south west midland lines are. Not going to say it so no point anyone pm'n me but the **** has truly hit the fan.
    They need to name towns asap what's going on is bull**** and putting people right in the firing line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Im expecting to be told Friday evening that the building wont be open for the for the forseeable future and to work from home. Public sector.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If place shuts down I take it means avoiding contact with people - but I take it you could still go Out for a run ?

Well, Jon Snow was allowed out for a cycle.

I'd imagine going for a run is perfectly fine as long as you don't stop to chat to people for too long.

Although if you're isolated for symptoms, you may not feel like running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fr336 wrote: »
    Something alarming like Italy going into lockdown? :pac:

No, to answer your question. Five or ten such EU countries in lockdown would be a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

4oxQJRm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The symptom analysis is scary but then the age analysis explains it. Only 23.4% of cases are under 50? Only 1.4% are under 19? That shows that cases of young people with the virus are not being picked up as they have v little symptoms so the absence of such asymptomatic cases is skewing the symptoms data and making it look far more severe than it is (not that it isnt severe enough obviously)

Someone asked for the original link
    Italy publishes: number of tests; positives; hospitalised; in intensive care; age profile of victims; comorbidities of victims https://www.iss.it/cor...E/content/id/5292020? and http://opendatadpc.map...ml#/dae18c330e8e4093

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

This whole situation is so upsetting tbh. That article today about the lack of funerals.

My elderly Mum (rural, catholic, conservative) read that today and phoned me. She would be at risk with underlying health conditions. She also heard/read Leo (and he a Dr) say that 85,000 people would die in Ireland.

Are there any positives from today at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

tom1ie wrote: »
    Someone asked for the original link
    Italy publishes: number of tests; positives; hospitalised; in intensive care; age profile of victims; comorbidities of victims https://www.iss.it/cor...E/content/id/5292020? and http://opendatadpc.map...ml#/dae18c330e8e4093
    None of those links work for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

No, to answer your question. Five or ten such EU countries in lockdown would be a different matter.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

Italy has the 3rd biggest population in the EU only France and Germany are bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

SusanC10 wrote: »
    This whole situation is so upsetting tbh. That article today about the lack of funerals.

My elderly Mum (rural, catholic, conservative) read that today and phoned me. She would be at risk with underlying health conditions. She also heard/read Leo (and he a Dr) say that 85,000 people would die in Ireland.

Surely that's 85K cases, not 85K deaths.

It would only be 85K deaths if literally 100% of the population were infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

To be honest two or three EU countries in lockdown would be more than enough to scare me into action. If Italy, France and Germany were to go to such extremes, something is seriously wrong. And if happened in the UK that would be a screaming red siren for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

1.9 million to be infected. 85k deaths if that happens.

• Advertisement

Most people, even those in a high risk group, will be just fine. Its very worrying I know, and I've talked to my parents too (70's).

Keep it balanced and inject a sense of humour into the conversation too. No point in them worrying themselves to death. And be there for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

I don't understand the obsession with knowing where the cases are.

Surely people should take the exact same precautions no matter where.

It's a rapidly moving contagious disease and we are a small country.

Just assume it's everywhere because if it isn't it soon will be.

I hear what you’re saying but I honestly think a lot of people won’t take action unless it’s on their doorstep. I fully agree that we should be making every effort we can, I’m in Galway btw, but going by some of the opinions I hear from people ... (‘ah, the west... sure that’s probably Mayo.. etc)
    I really think the counties, at least, should be named.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Mental health helplines should ramp up support there.
    Or even having a dedicated HSE support line dedicated to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

People over 70 , particularly with underlying medical conditions should certainly read up on this and make their own call about taking steps to start self isolating now. Nobody can look at Italy’s numbers and rationally suggest they should wait until we might get there before really starting to weigh up social decisions they make going forward. And for the “will somebody please think about the economy” crowd, at least the economy can carry on while the more vulnerable are a little more protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Leo was saying y'day possibly 50/60% of the population could get it...
    So yeah 85k deaths is possible if we get high number of infections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Bobtheman wrote: »
    So no school closures ?

There’s a curiosity around that given a GPs online insistence that there were cases in his area and repeated demands from him that schools be closed. So far it seems there is no news of that happening. Perhaps none of this evenings cases were schoolchildren.

PHET seems to be sticking to its guns that there is no need for wider school closure or limits on visitors to hospitals or nursing homes. Given what’s coming out from Italy from doctors about the consequences of delay they seem very confident that they are right. One to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

otnomart wrote: »
    Mental health helplines should ramp up support there.
    Or even having a dedicated HSE support line dedicated to this.

That might be actually where we could ask our retired professional workers to help out. Instead of being on the frontline , be on the end of a line to chat with people?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I know how you feel.

We are still here nobody knows for sure what is going to happen.

Could a small number of people get the shopping for your mum so she does not have to go out during this time?

If you think you might be infected stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

5% death rate of 1.9m infected as was the figure suggested as a worst case scenario would be in the region of 95k deaths. That's with less than half of the population infected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

She also heard/read Leo (and he a Dr) say that 85,000 people would die in Ireland.

Well, he didn't say that for starters

And those funeral measures aren't required either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement