Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭1641

I had a read of Stacking the Coffins re the Spanish Flu in Ireland (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stacking-Coffins-Influenza-Revolution-Ireland/dp/1526122693)

It refers to some modelling done in 2006 by a expert group led by a Prof from the NVRL on the possible impact of another major Flu epidemic here. The figures may be of interest. Two scenarios, both based on an Irish pop of 4.23 million.

First scenario. A Flu with a clinical attack rate of 25% and a fatality rate of 0.55%. This predicted 3,217 deaths.

Second scenario. A Flu with a clinical attack rate of 50% and a fatality rate of 2.5%. This predicted 52,937 deaths.

The book's author suggested a possible problem with the model was that it was based on the pattern of spread of epidemics in England and Wales in 1957 and 1969-70. The suggestion is that the population density and dispersal here might produce different outcomes.

Still sobering figures, especially the second scenario, in which the fatality rate seems similar to this Covid. I am not sure about the infection rate? Also, I think our total pop (Republic) is closer to 5 million now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭facehugger99

givyjoe wrote: »
    I think you need to have a google of that word. The vast, vasty majority of the posts in earlier threads were concerns based on facts and what was happening on China, would happen elsewhere. What a shock.. it IS happening elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Do you have this weeks' lottery numbers by any chance Nostradamus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Question:
    Does anyone know if the HSE has sequenced the samples from the first patients ?

"A country may have many #hCoV19 cases, but may not have sequenced any of them".

https://twitter.com/nextstrain/status/1237314360856449025

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

blade1 wrote: »
    Stay in and isolate if you're worried.
    They can't see every hypochondriac that claims to have it.

But they are either trying to curb it or not. I’m not selfish so took off work but I’m on a zero hour contract. I want to know that when I’m grand in a few days, it’s okay for me to go back to making money. Right now, once I’m out of bed, I’ll be thinking of going back to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

police stations will start to close here on the weekend of the 27/28th March as all the Gardaí on OT for the 17th develop symptoms.

No OT will be needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

My question to you is why the fcuk are people looking for advice from a DJ?

She's a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Strazdas wrote: »
    But even scientists were divided. For every one of them saying shut down the country, there would have been another saying it was totally unnecessary.

It's very easy to be wise after the event.

We literally have a test case to inform us on what to do, and how to do it. Isn't really that difficult. We are just delaying the inevitable, in the hope, that it doesn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Trinity cancels all lectures from tomorrow onwards, only a matter of times before the same happens for the rest of schools and colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,383 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You think the images coming out of China would have served as a warning... But nah sure fcuk it, it'll be grand..

Where has anyone on the thread said this week "it will be grand". Stop generalising. There is a virus in Europe and it is killing people and nobody is denying it is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

But even scientists were divided. For every one of them saying shut down the country, there would have been another saying it was totally unnecessary.

If there was a massive shut down and the worse case didn’t materialize, you would end up with a sh1t load of people moaning. Then when another virus comes along and a shut down or serious action is suggested, people will bring up the old false alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Economies will recover. A sharp short bit of pain that fades in comparison to 2008. Sometimes you have to adapt to the situation that we find ourselves in. Nature doesn’t care for our economy. Take the hit, shut down and stop this from spreading, Ireland is in a much better situation than Wuhan to be able to do this if people can just have a bit of sense and think of the greater good. Needs to be support for all the workers who will find themselves out of pocket very soon. I’m barely okay. Have a bit of savings but on a zero hour contract.

Ireland lacks that Asian mentality were they fall into line for the common good, hell you could say most of the western world does. Look at the difference in people's behaviour from the Japan tsunami and the hurricane in New Orleans, no looting or anything of the sort in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I'm certainly no cheerleader for our politician but in this instance they seem to have been following the medical/scientific advice, not just from Ireland but Europe as well. Easy to call people stupid from the sidelines.

There have been no instances that I know of, where there was a large consensus of scientific opinion advising one course of action with, our politicians going against the advice.
    In fact at every opportunity they are wheeling out the medics/scientists to give the advice and updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Do you have this weeks' lottery numbers by any chance Nostradamus?

The same numbers are coming up every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It starts, shut down Ireland

https://www.tcd.ie/visitors/book-of-kells/
    Covid-19 Notice
    We wish to inform you that the Book of Kells and Old Library Exhibition will temporarily close to visitors until further notice. This is a precautionary measure to minimise the spread of Covid-19. This decision has been made to protect the health and safety of our visitors and the university community.

Existing ticket holders will be contacted regarding refunds via email.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Must be bad when the International Realist Conference 2020 in Dublin end of March is postponed.

https://realist2020.org/

Or are they just being realistic?:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What’s the age breakdown for deaths in Italy at the minute?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Trinity cancels all lectures from tomorrow onwards, only a matter of times before the same happens for the rest of schools and colleges.

My contact in the HSE reckons it will be from Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 28,735 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That was the headline - in fact they just moved lectures online. Labs etc still going on but with distancing between students. It's not a shutdown.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Spain has 415 new cases today ...

I have a weekly class where the teacher just said that she's going to Spain for Easter - because 'we're all going to get this eventually', and 'it's just like the flu'. I'm thinking I might not go back after Easter....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,264 ✭✭✭✭blade1

But they are either trying to curb it or not. I’m not selfish so took off work but I’m on a zero hour contract. I want to know that when I’m grand in a few days, it’s okay for me to go back to making money. Right now, once I’m out of bed, I’ll be thinking of going back to work.

So you're not too worried about having it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

tom1ie wrote: »

mostly 80+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Quick question: how many tests have we done to date, RTE have been saying "over 1000" for about a week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

givyjoe wrote: »
    Why on earth is she still going?

What age is she and does she have anyone to look after her if she becomes very ill. She might be terrified and trying to escape from it especially if there is no one to look after her. If this isn’t the case I can’t understand why someone would put a family at risk like that. I know plenty of people that have cancelled holidays and trips incase they infect vulnerable people in their family such as grand parents

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Multipass wrote: »
    I have a weekly class where the teacher just said that she's going to Spain for Easter - because 'we're all going to get this eventually', and 'it's just like the flu'. I'm thinking I might not go back after Easter....

How irresponsible surely she would be advised not to come back to work for 2 weeks after ? Anyway god only knows what will be going on by Easter here or In Spain, she may well be going nowhere.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,981 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There's so many factual inaccuracies you can't name one eh!.

Also I haven't offered any advice. Think vitamins and minerals boost the immune system, you dispute this?.

If so why?.

Also research in my own head as opposed to?. Research in my ankles?.

Ultimately all research is done in someone's head regardless of where or what the source is including all your research and everyone else's on planet earth that statement you made makes no sense.

Anyways You stick with the wet wipes and I'll stick with the vitamins and minerals eh!.
    Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

otnomart wrote: »
    Question:
    Does anyone know if the HSE has sequenced the samples from the first patients ?

"A country may have many #hCoV19 cases, but may not have sequenced any of them".

https://twitter.com/nextstrain/status/1237314360856449025

Can you tell me what you've taken from this? I dont get the relevance of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

tom1ie wrote: »
    Italy publishes: number of tests; positives; hospitalised; in intensive care; age profile of victims; comorbidities of victims https://www.iss.it/coronavirus/-/asset_publisher/1SRKHcCJJQ7E/content/id/5292020? and http://opendatadpc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/dae18c330e8e4093

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Scientists can be bought and paid for. Same goes for academic research around any business. Smoking is not that bad. Sugar is not the problem, Fat is. Insecticides don't do damage etc.

Somebody has to pay for the research unfortunately. They don't take a hippocratic oath.

Best to triangulate any opinion and not follow experts blindly. Perfect example in this crisis is economy vs health. There is a balance to be stuck. We assume that economy takes precedence over health but that decision may damage economy more and in the long run. Time will tell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement