Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

aidojones wrote: »
    Is there any way of finding out what they're looking for in situational awareness? I know you have to judge the situation on its merits etc., but without a broader context (impossible to deliver in such a test environment) it's not a true simulation...guidance of some description would be most welcome.

No idea how they score it but what I usually do is make sure I know the competencies really well and then I pick the answers based on those. I also tend to answer at the extreme ends of the scales, very little in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 *Gaijin*

Congrats to all who made it. (Very surprised to have passed numerical myself). OOM in the low 100s though; Open 2000s/InterD 1300s.

Interesting that next stage is 'Video Shortlisting', which may explain why the batches are so small at around 250-300, as they will presumably need to be viewed/scored by a panel. If they were shortlisting based on application forms only, they would have surely have called more in bulk, as in 2018, with an expectation of a large paper cull first.

Doing a very quick crunching of peoples approx positions on OOM, *if* they were to call similar sized batches for Dublin video-shortlisting again, I'd hazard an *estimate* that second batch qualifying mark may be something like c.118, a third c.114, a fourth c.110. However, its very hard to gauge the lower down you go, as there are increasing numbers of persons per OOM point. Other variables likely to impact later ones too, such as country people not putting Dublin down/not realistically going to take up a Dublin offer, the interplay of persons on both panels, or indeed, if they were to increase subsequent batch sizes should there be a high attrition rate in earlier ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Landslide79

Edit:

PLACED 904 on Order of merit.

SCORED 115. I am delighted!

I know I'll be waiting for a later round but I cannot believe I passed the numerical! Totally felt like I had messed up on that. This has made my day, and TBH, my year.

Side note: I am surprised that I only got 42 on Situational Judgement. That is a really hard test and God knows what they are looking for.

I'm the same as yourself, scored 115 overall and 904 in OOM! It's good to have someone in the same boat!

It seems like a lot of us have a chance of getting called to interview across the next 2-3 batches, assuming demand is there, so wishing everyone the best of luck and hopefully we'll not have to wait too long. Based on my scores, I could be waiting a year-18 months to get called, so I'm going to follow the advice of those in the know on this thread and just forget about it for now - it's my first time applying to PAS and I'm gobsmacked that I placed at all because I thought the tests were horrible, so I'll take passing as a confidence boost and move on. If PAS get in touch at a later date, all the better.

This thread was a goldmine, really don't think I could have gotten to this point without the helpful comments along the way, so thanks again folks and may the odds be ever in ye're favour to those going forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭granturismo

This is my first time applying for an open competition. I passed all three assessments even though I didnt finish the numerical.

My total was 117, placed 729 on order of merit and didnt apply for a Dublin post.

A big thank you to all the posters on this thread, I wouldnt have found the trials exams for one without this thread. €40 odd euro spent but without it my chances of passing assessment would have been minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Orchid1

Re the situational judgement - I’m still unsure as to what they were looking for. It said to use all options so were you supposed to do that? Ie if there were 6 options rank each somewhere between highly undesirable and highly desirable? This really threw me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

There was no analysis required on my set of questions. They were basic calculations that just tested your speed. If I had more time I'd easily get them all right. Analysis in my mind is taking other forces into account.

The calculations are basic. But figuring out what you have to calculate is where the analysis comes into it. You needed to be able to quickly analyse what each table/chart/graph was measuring. It must come easy to you, if you don't even notice you're doing it.

Naturally you'd have scored better with more time. It's no coincidence that all the possible answer options were derivatives of the information contained in the tables/chart/graphs...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Crimson_Ghost

I'm the same as yourself, scored 115 overall and 904 in OOM! It's good to have someone in the same boat!

It seems like a lot of us have a chance of getting called to interview across the next 2-3 batches, assuming demand is there, so wishing everyone the best of luck and hopefully we'll not have to wait too long. Based on my scores, I could be waiting a year-18 months to get called, so I'm going to follow the advice of those in the know on this thread and just forget about it for now - it's my first time applying to PAS and I'm gobsmacked that I placed at all because I thought the tests were horrible, so I'll take passing as a confidence boost and move on. If PAS get in touch at a later date, all the better.

This thread was a goldmine, really don't think I could have gotten to this point without the helpful comments along the way, so thanks again folks and may the odds be ever in ye're favour to those going forward!

Best of luck to you too.

In the last comp they evaluated Stage 2 about 6 months after stage 1, and I was ten points under the cut-off on OOM. So I would say, if everything goes similarly, we'll be waiting 6-12 months.

I got knocked out then on "Lack on management experience" but I think I have that covered this time.

Once I don't have to re-sit these awful tests again, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Orchid1 wrote: »
    Re the situational judgement - I’m still unsure as to what they were looking for. It said to use all options so were you supposed to do that? Ie if there were 6 options rank each somewhere between highly undesirable and highly desirable? This really threw me

I think you misunderstood. If my understanding of you is correct (the irony!).

You were not required to ensure that each point on the scale was applied to at least one of the options in each scenario. You could have marked all options in a scenario as "Highly Desirable".

I think their "every option" direction is to let you know that you don't have to restrict yourself to the extremes of the scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 therainking

Orchid1 wrote: »

I scored 75 and I’m still not sure I could tell you what exactly they wanted, I’m a bit confused how they scored it out of 80 when it was answer by ranking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Orchid1

Thanks both. therainking - would be interested to hear how you answered considering you scored so well. Well done!g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Loudboy

I scored 134 with OOM of 45 Open and 29 InterD. I expect to be called quite soon to the next stage.
    Last time they analysed the Application Form at the second stage - this hurdle is where I fell...

Does anyone know what exactly 'Video Shortlisting' is? or where I can get examples?
    Tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Loudboy wrote: »
    I scored 134 with OOM of 45 Open and 29 InterD. I expect to be called quite soon to the next stage.
    Last time they analysed the Application Form at the second stage - this hurdle is where I fell...

Does anyone know what exactly 'Video Shortlisting' is? or where I can get examples?
    Tks.

Wow well done. Great scores.

So what is the best guess of the Dubs being brough forward? I'm in the 800's and a Dub.. wonder if I could expect an email around Xmas??

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brera

*Gaijin* wrote: »
    Congrats to all who made it. (Very surprised to have passed numerical myself). OOM in the low 100s though; Open 2000s/InterD 1300s.

Interesting that next stage is 'Video Shortlisting', which may explain why the batches are so small at around 250-300, as they will presumably need to be viewed/scored by a panel. If they were shortlisting based on application forms only, they would have surely have called more in bulk, as in 2018, with an expectation of a large paper cull first.

Doing a very quick crunching of peoples approx positions on OOM, *if* they were to call similar sized batches for Dublin video-shortlisting again, I'd hazard an *estimate* that second batch qualifying mark may be something like c.118, a third c.114, a fourth c.110. However, its very hard to gauge the lower down you go, as there are increasing numbers of persons per OOM point. Other variables likely to impact later ones too, such as country people not putting Dublin down/not realistically going to take up a Dublin offer, the interplay of persons on both panels, or indeed, if they were to increase subsequent batch sizes should there be a high attrition rate in earlier ones.

I’m wondering as well is to do with COVID. I’m guessing that like every other PAS competition we would be expected to redo the test in their offices in a supervised environment. Using the video interview and looking at the forms would cut the numbers doing them right down and facilitate social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭lucat

moneymaid wrote: »
    Thanks.

To clarify - is a higher oom better or worse than a lower oom?

The closer you are to 1 the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭crinkley

2not4get wrote: »
    Well I passed with a total score of 123 and OOM 356. Wouldn't have made the first batch even if I was going for Dublin.

I'm holding out for Westmeath..many out there looking for the same region ?

I put down Westmeath and Galway and scored 122 so will be interesting to see when you get called, fingers crossed that you do

I think they're very good estimates. But I've never heard of multiple batches being called for AP, so my chances (with a score of 111) are very slim, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

lucat wrote: »
    I think they're very good estimates. But I've never heard of multiple batches being called for AP, so my chances (with a score of 111) are very slim, unfortunately.

There were multiple batches in the last comp. 111 would have been batch 2.

lucat wrote: »

Multiple batches have been called the last few competitions.
    My partner got in on 2016 comp and originally scored c. 1300 OOM after first set of tests. They called forward c.1000 for 2nd stage tests in 4 or 5 batches and then called another bulk up to a point beyond my partners OOM.
    You could be called by Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 *Gaijin*

Brera wrote: »
    I’m wondering as well is to do with COVID. I’m guessing that like every other PAS competition we would be expected to redo the test in their offices in a supervised environment. Using the video interview and looking at the forms would cut the numbers doing them right down and facilitate social distancing.

I think you're right. It could also be a small batch, initially, to trial test capacity with video/panels post Covid. Having said that, would imagine such a small batch could still potentially result in a waste of time for assessors in some part. Someone fresh from school who scored brilliantly will still not have the relevant experience, no matter how well they do in video answers. Can't figure out how they're going to whittle that element down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Ap2020

Anyone know what the difference in numbers is between those called at batch 1 this time and those called in batch 1 in 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brera

I think you're right. It could also be a small batch, initially, to trial test capacity with video/panels post Covid. Having said that, would imagine such a small batch could still potentially result in a waste of time for assessors in some part. Someone fresh from school who scored brilliantly will still not have the relevant experience, no matter how well they do in video answers. Can't figure out how they're going to whittle that element down.

I think that’s where the application form will come into play. They’ll be able to look through it for your previous experience etc A lot will be depend too on what questions they ask for the video interviews.

Multiple batches have been called the last few competitions.
    My partner got in on 2016 comp and originally scored c. 1300 OOM after first set of tests. They called forward c.1000 for 2nd stage tests in 4 or 5 batches and then called another bulk up to a point beyond my partners OOM.
    You could be called by Xmas.

My OOM is 1225 so that's reassuring. Hopefully it's similar this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭derailed

Gave this another a go and for first time in recent competitions, managed to pass all three tests with a total score of 111- OOM Position- 1225. Very pleased having slipped up at first hurdle on last two occasions (both on situational judgement) and hoping of a call in the later batches.

My scores:
    Numerical 56
    Verbal 69
    Situational 42

Again the weighted emphasis on Situational Judgement is a frustrating aspect of these tests as could have scored anywhere on the range in spite of trying to prepare or be as decisive as possible while the Numerical again only counts as a pass determinant. Very hard to gauge what they're looking for in the Situational Judgement side as a lot of scenarios resembled sometimes unrealistic management situations in Sales/Finance/ICT roles more than anything else.

Best of luck to all still involved and commiserations to those that missed out this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Ap2020 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the difference in numbers is between those called at batch 1 this time and those called in batch 1 in 2018?

Batch 1 Dublin was about 1000 people OOM with a cut off of 114 last time. Results put Oct 25th.

Batch 2 was about another 1000 people on the OOM down to 106 points across all regions. They were shortlisted with results out 5th Feb. Not sure if there was a batch 1 regional as well in the interim.

Last comp had an unusually huge amount of hiring due to good economy + embargo removal. This comp will most likely move slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mariagirl

hi all, congrats to all who passed..I passed also but didnt score as high, however Im v happy to pass. Is this the first time PAS did scoring as opposed to an OOM placing of applicants to next stage? This is my first AP application. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

derailed wrote: »
    Gave this another a go and for first time in recent competitions, managed to pass all three tests with a total score of 111- OOM Position- 1225. Very pleased having slipped up at first hurdle on last two occasions (both on situational judgement) and hoping of a call in the later batches.

My scores:
    Numerical 56
    Verbal 69
    Situational 42

Again the weighted emphasis on Situational Judgement is a frustrating aspect of these tests as could have scored anywhere on the range in spite of trying to prepare or be as decisive as possible while the Numerical again only counts as a pass determinant. Very hard to gauge what they're looking for in the Situational Judgement side as a lot of scenarios resembled sometimes unrealistic management situations in Sales/Finance/ICT roles more than anything else.

Best of luck to all still involved and commiserations to those that missed out this time around.

Just got my results, see below

Numerical Analysis
    Maximum Score 80
    Qualifying Score 39
    Your Score 51

Verbal Analysis
    Maximum Score 80
    Qualifying Score 42
    Your Score 63

Situational Judgement Test
    Maximum Score 80
    Qualifying Score 40
    Your Score 41

Very disappointed with my situational judgement score (fine with the other two) as this is the second time doing this competition and the lack of feedback on where I’m going wrong on this category is highly frustrating....I already work in the civil service so though I would be well placed to answer these questions.

Judging by the high scores for the cutoff point, it looks like there was a very strong interest and good candidates out this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just got my results, see below

Numerical Analysis
    Maximum Score 80
    Qualifying Score 39
    Your Score 51

Verbal Analysis
    Maximum Score 80
    Qualifying Score 42
    Your Score 63

Situational Judgement Test
    Maximum Score 80
    Qualifying Score 40
    Your Score 41

Very disappointed with my situational judgement score (fine with the other two) as this is the second time doing this competition and the lack of feedback on where I’m going wrong on this category is highly frustrating....I already work in the civil service so though I would be well placed to answer these questions.

Judging by the high scores for the cutoff point, it looks like there was a very strong interest and good candidates out this year.

Do you think you will get called to the next stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wife is applying for this -What is video shortlisting does anyone know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Wife is applying for this -What is video shortlisting does anyone know

No idea, probably like a Big Brother application video.

Advertisement