Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Northern_Star

Orchid1 wrote: »
    I'm really confused. Is anyone who scored below 126 automatically out even if you reached the qualifying standard?

Same - reached the qualifying standard but scored 112. Is this the end of the road or are there batches taken later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

I'm really confused. Is anyone who scored below 126 automatically out even if you reached the qualifying standard?

It's most likely there'll be other batches called after the first batch has been exhausted. You're playing the waiting game now!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mulligan11

My husband scored 133 but was off numerical by 1 point. Is it worth an email to PAS or wait until next time? Congrats to all who made the cut, the application is torture and I’m a civil servant!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

Same - reached the qualifying standard but scored 112. Is this the end of the road or are there batches taken later on?

Not the end of the road. They will call further batches. Going by your score I would be confident you will get called but it really depends on the demand for AP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FlexBrowne

Failed numerical by 1? Worth appealing yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

Mulligan11 wrote: »
    My husband scored 133 but was off numerical by 1 point. Is it worth an email to PAS or wait until next time? Congrats to all who made the cut, the application is torture and I’m a civil servant!

If this was interview scores I would say email them but on the tests I don't see any room for error on calculating scores. I would say leave it until next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

FlexBrowne wrote: »
    Failed numerical by 1? Worth appealing yes.

Not on a computerised test. Results would have been automatically generated with no human intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

FlexBrowne wrote: »
    Scored 123 which puts me 237 on the order of merit - Interdepartmental and 356 - Open competition.

Won't hold my breath being outside Dublin!

That's a very good, you could easily be top 5 or 6 in your chosen counties depending on choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Orchid1

scored 102, placed 1974 OOM. chances of being called in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MrMistoffelees

Relieved I passed but in 2018 I came 34th in OOM and this time 408th missing the cut for the first batch. Just hoping batch 2 is called soon. Lost my job due to Covid and nothing suitable roles coming up so was hoping to be successful in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 therainking

Just wondering guys does anybody know how it works next? Would it usually be a long time before we hear next stage? I Placed 46 on OOM in Dub. I haven’t done one of these for the PAS before.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭busy_mom

Passed the numerical ... that's a win! OOM in the 000's so that's the end of the road but I'll take the small victory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭KaneToad

To the person saying why aren't the numerical competency scores counted - why would they be? Most of those questions are basic maths, and frankly, if you're doing those sort of calculations as an AP with pen. paper and a calculator in the real world, you're doing it wrong.

I'm the person!

I would contend that the numerical ability test is more than just doing "the sums". You have to analyse the data, interpret it and then ensure you perform the correct mathematical interrogation. High levels of numeracy are very important for critical thinking and evaluation.

Anyways, the PAS don't deem it necessary - other than establishing a bare minimum- so the point is moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brera

You’ll be called at some stage later on but god only knows when with PAS. It all depends on how many positions become available and right now that depends on the large number expected to retire and whether or not a recruitment freeze is back on then cards.

The only advice I can give you is you’ll just have to wait. PAS will contact you when you least expect it.

In the meantime those in the first batch will be able to give some useful insight to what stage 2 will be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

R777B wrote: »
    Anyone have any rough idea the percentage of people who would have selected a Dublin preference? I'd imagine it would be high enough?

Best GUESS would be 65-75%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

KaneToad wrote: »
    I'm the person!

I would contend that the numerical ability test is more than just doing "the sums". You have to analyse the data, interpret it and then ensure you perform the correct mathematical interrogation. High levels of numeracy are very important for critical thinking and evaluation.

Anyways, the PAS don't deem it necessary - other than establishing a bare minimum- so the point is moot.

There was no analysis required on my set of questions. They were basic calculations that just tested your speed. If I had more time I'd easily get them all right. Analysis in my mind is taking other forces into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 speckybecky

I failed Situational Judgement and Verbal Reasoning, am mortified!
    This is my first time applying. I really thought I flew through those 2 assessments so I wouldn't know how to answer differently in the future. Does anyone know of training courses to brush up? Good luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JosTep

KaneToad wrote: »
    I'm the person!

Has always been that way for every grade, not just AP

It is viewed by PAS (rightly or wrongly) that only a certain level of numeracy skills are required in the CS, anything above that doesn't matter - their view when I asked previously

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MJPK

I scored 163 but only 39 on situational. To say I'm bitterly disappointed is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

MJPK wrote: »
    I scored 163 but only 39 on situational. To say I'm bitterly disappointed is an understatement.

I thought the marks were out of 160 but very disappointing to miss out and be so close. Has happened me before so close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 2not4get

Well I passed with a total score of 123 and OOM 356. Wouldn't have made the first batch even if I was going for Dublin.

I'm holding out for Westmeath..many out there looking for the same region ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JosTep

You don't include your Numerical Analysis score

Only the other two count to get your OOM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

That’s an incredible score.

Given that the highest score possible is 160.

I reached the standard on all 3 tests and although the numerical is not counted I'm disappointed with my performance in that one.
    Haven't selected Dublin as a region either.
    Congrats to all moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Orchid1

How many people applied i wonder? Like is being placed 1974 shockingly bad or middle of the road?! Is there 0% chance of being called at some stage?

How many people applied i wonder? Like is being placed 1974 shockingly bad or middle of the road?! Is there 0% chance of being called at some stage?

No idea but there will be many more who don't receive any oom so take some consolation in getting placed. I'm above you but a long way from the top and I do know a few people at least 500 behind you as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pinkmouse2020

batman007 wrote: »
    Scored 98 and placed 2290! Definitely disappointed not to do better but considering it is my first time I think I'll take it as a win that I passed all three! The layout of the tests definitely threw me as it was quite different to the practice ones I did, but you live and learn.

Congratulations and best of luck to everyone going on to the next stage!

Hi i scored the exact same 98 and placed 2290 so not sure how that all works when 2 score the same, done better in the numerical than I thought... will await, I selected the West.. so not sure how many are going for there... delighted to have passed on the first attempt... was not confident at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 RelaxedRunner

Is there any way of finding out what they're looking for in situational awareness? I know you have to judge the situation on its merits etc., but without a broader context (impossible to deliver in such a test environment) it's not a true simulation...guidance of some description would be most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dee75

Got 113 but am regional applicant, so will be waiting a long while anyway.

Well done to all who passed and commiserations to those who didn't get through this time around.

I see the next stage is video shortlisting so it will be interesting to hear how Batch 1 Dublin candidates find that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Didn't pass - failed the numerical just by one point. Numerical 38 (needed 39 to pass); verbal 54 (needed 42 to pass), SJ 45 (needed 40 to pass)

The numerical gets me every time. I'm not sure I know how to improve on it - I have done these tests a few times now, and practiced a lot. Its just my weakest point.

Advertisement