Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

Source please...not that I don't believe you.

Ryanair.com!

Looks to be just for next week to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

SNNUS wrote: »
    Can we stick to Aviation, Masks is a different thread. Thanks.

who the hell is this guy? Im sure you can apply to be a moderator if you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

kona wrote: »

An Aviation professional interested in this forum for that reason.

I don't think Ryanair have confirmed the base closure for ORK and SNN yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Source please...not that I don't believe you.

Not in the public domain yet as far as I know but it will be shortly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

SNNUS wrote: »
    Can we stick to Aviation, Masks is a different thread. Thanks.

They may not be a moderator but in a similar vein to the mask debate they are aware of the community guidelines.
    Let's leave politics to the politics Forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Acosta

Acosta wrote: »

Yep. Just wondering though, in the context of the aviation industry...

Would it be better for Grímsvötn or Eyjafjallajökull to erupt now and get the inevitable out of the way when there's minimal air travel to disrupt?

Or would that be the final nail in the coffin for some airlines who are barely hanging on as it is?

• Administrators Posts: 53,460 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Aer Lingus are pushing trips across to the US today with a flash sale. Out of curiosity I priced a flight out to JFK in late March, out Thursday back Tuesday, and it came back in just under €200. They are giving all sorts of assurances about no change fees and cash refunds. It's a bold move considering the US is still closed but I guess they want to get people flying again with cheap flights.

The cash refund is only available if you pick advantage / flex option.

When I did that, the price went from 120 euro outbound to 640 euro outbound for a random day in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Acosta wrote: »

Ah stop, what a year if this is the creme on top :pac:

The Special Committee on Covid-19 Response has published it's final report on the wide impact of COVID-19 on lives in Ireland, of particular interest is pages 75-80 with regard to Aviation - Linked below:

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/33/special_committee_on_covid_19_response/reports/2020/2020-10-09_final-report-of-the-special-committee-on-covid-19-response_en.pdf

• Advertisement

Yep. Just wondering though, in the context of the aviation industry...

Would it be better for Grímsvötn or Eyjafjallajökull to erupt now and get the inevitable out of the way when there's minimal air travel to disrupt?

Or would that be the final nail in the coffin for some airlines who are barely hanging on as it is?

Definatley no better time for it if its going to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Another tranche of well paid aviation professionals made redundant in Dublin airport this week. I wont name them for privacy reasons and I think litigation has commenced between employees and company. 40 gone.
    They would have been considered "jobs for life" in Engineering and associated functions.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    The Special Committee on Covid-19 Response has published it's final report on the wide impact of COVID-19 on lives in Ireland, of particular interest is pages 75-80 with regard to Aviation - Linked below:

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/33/special_committee_on_covid_19_response/reports/2020/2020-10-09_final-report-of-the-special-committee-on-covid-19-response_en.pdf

My first impression after reading that is , im fairly worried.

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    Another tranche of well paid aviation professionals made redundant in Dublin airport this week. I wont name them for privacy reasons and I think litigation has commenced between employees and company. 40 gone.
    They would have been considered "jobs for life" in Engineering and associated functions.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they all get prompt assistance and are hopefully not out of work too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they all get prompt assistance and are hopefully not out of work too long.

If you worked in Dublin airport you'd know these lads and lassies.They had a great number and are gutted its over.

edit: And their package is derisory. Never waste a good crisis eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

If you worked in Dublin airport you'd know these lads and lassies.They had a great number and are gutted its over.

Who are we talking about..?

Its a race to the bottom for sure, some very sinister descisions being made , a worrying time for such well qualified people.
    The conduct wont be forgotten.

It's so terribly sad what is happening to so many great people, as you said in previously considered jobs for life.

It's what makes listening to the ''all in this together'' mantra so infuriating with the conduct of some Businesses but also state policy and representatives thereof. While the majority have not been financially affected anywhere near on the same level as those in Aviation, Tourism, Hospitality and other severely impacted industries it has created a total disconnect in regard to how to deal with it and move the industry forward.

You see it in terms of lockdowns etc and it has to be stated how many of those propagating it constantly are financially going to suffer by those same increased restrictions? As a consequence of the continued floating of such propositions, you have to worry every night about due payments etc, for some this is now a situation that has been on-going since March and the future is bleak, you have no financial certainty you have skills that aren’t necessarily transferable and to upskill requires investment. The speculation over recent days is seen as an extension of the continued hardship suffered, there were Cabin Crew in Aer Lingus on 30% of wages some trickled down to 20% for a full month, asking family for money to help them get by – It’s sick what has been done to them and you can’t mentally delete that ever.

The public look at buildings on airport campuses, parked aircraft, empty restaurants and just see structures, they don’t see the thousands suffering. Previous incomes decimated, feeling humiliated signing on for days not worked etc (a first time ever for some in life long careers). It's been a horrendous few months and all of them are in my thoughts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

For the last time - general discussion to the dedicated forum

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭gral6

No green list from Monday, I'd like to tear apart myself these idiots in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Blut2

gral6 wrote: »

Grim.

ORK & SNN are surely done for so, if both EI and FR pull out as threatened? I had hoped that those threats would at least mobilize the Munster TDs to do something for the aviation sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

gral6 wrote: »

It doesn't really matter. The incidence of the disease is so high here that it's likely Irish people will be banned from traveling to europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

Blut2 wrote: »
    Grim.

ORK & SNN are surely done for so, if both EI and FR pull out as threatened? I had hoped that those threats would at least mobilize the Munster TDs to do something for the aviation sector.

Hopefully they adopt the EU Traffic light system next week and that would help ORK/SNN. There isnt much confidence in the Govt to do this though. The previous/current Green List does give much hope. Varadkar was on ClareFM during the week and seemed confident SNN/ORK would get funding a package is thought to be announced this month. Local TD have been trying to do something.

Thought EI would return to SNN next month but not happening now. The S21 schedule in March will hopefully see flights resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Hopefully they adopt the EU Traffic light system next week and that would help ORK/SNN. There isnt much confidence in the Govt to do this though. The previous/current Green List does give much hope. Varadkar was on ClareFM during the week and seemed confident SNN/ORK would get funding a package is thought to be announced this month. Local TD have been trying to do something.

Thought EI would return to SNN next month but not happening now. The S21 schedule in March will hopefully see flights resume.

We are red on the EU Traffic light system, so anyone travelling to an EU country participating in the scheme would need to pay for a private PCR test within 48 hours of travel, given a private test costs up to €200, that's prohibitive for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Grim.

FR have pulled from SNN. No base aircraft for the foreseeable future so the only flights operating will be from other stations. 7 routes gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Grim.

Very hard to see either being done for. Cork, which I am more familiar with, has some very strong routes like Heathrow, Stansted and Amsterdam. Even if the bases are pulled for both Ryanair and EI they will still operate these routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

I’m due to be away this coming week to close a house purchase with my fiancé who lives abroad (have to sign in person in front of public notary) My flight is still leaving tomorrow but my return flight for two weeks time was cancelled.Moved to another flight at an airport one hour away, this was just cancelled today.

Currently have a return flight for next weekend instead but at an airport 3 hours away but looking at Ryanair app tonight flights are getting pulled every few hours. Pre Covid FR flew this route 7 days a week, when the EU opened up in July they flew 4 days a week, since September it’s been 2 days a week but now all flights for the next 4 weeks are cancelled.

Route ex Dublin.It really doesn’t look good for EU travel over the winter season, regardless of the traffic light system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Inquitus wrote: »
    We are red on the EU Traffic light system, so anyone travelling to an EU country participating in the scheme would need to pay for a private PCR test within 48 hours of travel, given a private test costs up to €200, that's prohibitive for most people.

I'd love to know why the tests cost so much here.

I paid €59 for a test at Hamburg Airport and the results were delivered about fourteen hours later.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Noxegon wrote: »
    I'd love to know why the tests cost so much here.

I paid €59 for a test at Hamburg Airport and the results were delivered about fourteen hours later.

They are subsidised. The tests are also highly inaccurate with a detection rate of around 70%. They will also include lots of false positives especially in Ireland due to the testing criteria. It is really to stop the bulk of positive cases mixing with the population but will in no way stop everyone.

Temperature testing is next to useless and is really just a visual PR excercise at airports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

tiger_cub wrote: »
    I’m due to be away this coming week to close a house purchase with my fiancé who lives abroad (have to sign in person in front of public notary) My flight is still leaving tomorrow but my return flight for two weeks time was cancelled.Moved to another flight at an airport one hour away, this was just cancelled today.

Currently have a return flight for next weekend instead but at an airport 3 hours away but looking at Ryanair app tonight flights are getting pulled every few hours. Pre Covid FR flew this route 7 days a week, when the EU opened up in July they flew 4 days a week, since September it’s been 2 days a week but now all flights for the next 4 weeks are cancelled.

Route ex Dublin.It really doesn’t look good for EU travel over the winter season, regardless of the traffic light system.

Aye Ryanair cancelled my dad's Carcassonne Stansted flight at late notice, think they are closing the route for the time being.

Advertisement