Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Tenger wrote: »
    At this point I feel pre-departure testing and/or testing on arrivals is the only way to de-stigmatise air travel.

Saw a great offer in a travel agent for December. 3 night accommodation.
    Problem is that minimum quarantine for Iceland is 5-6 days with 2 tests.

Hence why it’s a great deal!

I wonder if the Christmas travel boom will happen this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Hence why it’s a great deal!

I wonder if the Christmas travel boom will happen this year

Xmas Travel would depend on restrictions. I would hope it would happen but doubt it. I thought the Ski 20/21 season would be normalish but thinking it wont now.

Xmas Travel would depend on restrictions. I would hope it would happen but doubt it. I thought the Ski 20/21 season would be normalish but thinking it wont now.

I’d say 2021 will struggle to be normal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If we sign up to the EU scheme on Monday as has been mooted, we won't be flying anywhere in Europe without paying for expensive pre-departure certified PCR tests, as we are a currently a red country under the EU definitions. If these lockdown measures don't fix things, and we subsequently have to go to 4 and perhaps 5, it will probably kybosh any EU travel until the New Year......here's to hoping level 3 works and gets this bloody thing under some semblance of control again!

Also no signs of the Trump easing his presidential order denying all of the EU27 entry.

I’d say 2021 will struggle to be normal

Definitely for the first 6 months. Summer 2021 may see some normality return.

• Advertisement

Definitely for the first 6 months. Summer 2021 may see some normality return.

Yes - I meant Summer 2021 sorry. I think people will be reluctant to book until quiet close in.

Yes - I meant Summer 2021 sorry. I think people will be reluctant to book until quiet close in.

No problem- agree on the bookings. A lot of late bookings/last minite deals id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Blut2

Tenger wrote: »
    At this point I feel pre-departure testing and/or testing on arrivals is the only way to de-stigmatise air travel.

Saw a great offer in a travel agent for December. 3 night accommodation.
    Problem is that minimum quarantine for Iceland is 5-6 days with 2 tests.

Antibody passports are also a solution as more and more of the population has had corona.

Get an approved antibody test that shows you've already had corona, be pre-approved for travel for 6 months. Or something similar. It'd be a lot cheaper (and easier) than requiring PCR tests for every flight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Blut2 wrote: »
    Antibody passports are also a solution as more and more of the population has had corona.

Get an approved antibody test that shows you've already had corona, be pre-approved for travel for 6 months. Or something similar. It'd be a lot cheaper (and easier) than requiring PCR tests for every flight.

I think immunity only lasts 3 months, so would hardly be worth it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Locker10a wrote: »
    I think immunity only lasts 3 months, so would hardly be worth it
    No time limit has been put on immunity. It could last 3 months, it could last 2 years, it could be permanent. They don't know yet.

• Advertisement

No time limit has been put on immunity. It could last 3 months, it could last 2 years, it could be permanent. They don't know yet.

Which is a great argument against immunity passports. The closest confirmed re-infection is only around 2 months from the original infection. That could well be an outlier mind.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Which is a great argument against immunity passports. The closest confirmed re-infection is only around 2 months from the original infection. That could well be an outlier mind.

The number of confirmed reinfections has been vanishingly small compared to the number of confirmed cases. You're right in that we don't know for sure how long immunity lasts yet - but we know for 99.9% of people its more than a few months. The best medical guesses are about a year currently.

So obviously an antibody passport wouldn't be permanent. But something like 6 months would be fairly safe. But even 3 months would be useful too - one antibody test every 3 months is still a hell of a lot easier for frequent flyers (and for a country's medical/testing infrastructure) than having to get a new PCR test once a week (or more often).

Blut2 wrote: »
    The number of confirmed reinfections has been vanishingly small compared to the number of confirmed cases. You're right in that we don't know for sure how long immunity lasts yet - but we know for 99.9% of people its more than a few months. The best medical guesses are about a year currently.

So obviously an antibody passport wouldn't be permanent. But something like 6 months would be fairly safe. But even 3 months would be useful too - one antibody test every 3 months is still a hell of a lot easier for frequent flyers (and for a country's medical/testing infrastructure) than having to get a new PCR test once a week (or more often).

There's a good article on it here. The fact the number of confirmed re-infections is soo low is a lot to do with the difficulty in identifying them. I do agree that 3 months on current evidence seems like a reasonable time to grant for an antibody test for flying, only issue is if you were asymptomatic you might not know when you were infected which would make things troublesome.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/06/flurry-of-coronavirus-reinfections-leaves-scientists-puzzled

Inquitus wrote: »
    There's a good article on it here. The fact the number of confirmed re-infections is soo low is a lot to do with the difficulty in identifying them. I do agree that 3 months on current evidence seems like a reasonable time to grant for an antibody test for flying, only issue is if you were asymptomatic you might not know when you were infected which would make things troublesome.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/06/flurry-of-coronavirus-reinfections-leaves-scientists-puzzled

Even quoting from that article:
    only two dozen or so reinfections have been confirmed worldwide in a pandemic that has infected more than 30 million people.

Two dozen out of 30 million isn't remotely statistically significant. People worrying about being reinfected are really just looking for things to worry about - they have as much chance of winning the lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Most of our vaccines, don't give " Sterilising immunity" meaning you will get infected, BUT because your immune system has been "trained" the pathogen won't spread.

So reinfection is not the real issue, that's normal enough. The issue is -- HOW SICK do you get 2nd time around. ( Or how much purchase the pathogen can get when encountered 2nd time around)
    IMPORTANT is will you be infectious 2nd time around, after already having seen off a proven Covid infection.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Surprised no one in here has said how sad it was to see BA's last two 747s take to the sky. It's such a pity they did not get to do the synchronised take off but still sad. I only ever got to fly on one once and would have loved to fly on one again now because of Covid that might never be possible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

AMKC wrote: »
    Surprised no one in here has said how sad it was to see BA's last two 747s take to the sky. It's such a pity they did not get to do the synchronised take off but still sad. I only ever got to fly on one once and would have loved to fly on one again now because of Covid that might never be possible.

Posts about the farewell to the Jumbo in flightradar24 thread

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Aer Lingus are pushing trips across to the US today with a flash sale. Out of curiosity I priced a flight out to JFK in late March, out Thursday back Tuesday, and it came back in just under €200. They are giving all sorts of assurances about no change fees and cash refunds. It's a bold move considering the US is still closed but I guess they want to get people flying again with cheap flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I paid 60 for Brussels Dublin return st Christmas. I have no idea whether it will be viable for me to travel thenbut...the planes have to be empty at those prices.v

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Aer Lingus are pushing trips across to the US today with a flash sale. Out of curiosity I priced a flight out to JFK in late March, out Thursday back Tuesday, and it came back in just under €200. They are giving all sorts of assurances about no change fees and cash refunds. It's a bold move considering the US is still closed but I guess they want to get people flying again with cheap flights.

It helps their cash flow if they sell the seat now but don't have to refund until 6+ months later. They are only operating 3 flights to US per day now (JFK,BOS,ORD) and those will likely keep running no matter what the loads are (imo).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Id personally avoid that like the plague, :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

On the flipside, I was in Boston a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at how much more compliance there is over there. You'd be the odd one out not wearing a mask outside on the street. Even the homeless begging were wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

On the flipside, I was in Boston a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at how much more compliance there is over there. You'd be the odd one out not wearing a mask outside on the street. Even the homeless begging were wearing masks.

Crazy isn't it when comparing with walking streets in our cities at home - Similar in NY/Chicago, Democratic leaning cities too should be pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Crazy isn't it when comparing with walking streets in our cities at home - Similar in NY/Chicago, Democratic leaning cities too should be pointed out.

It’s mandatory to wear face masks outdoors in NY/Chicago (presumably BOS too - haven’t been there recently so haven’t checked), it’s not in Ireland, so that probably accounts for it. It’s not a matter of non compliance at home - the directive doesn’t exist!

Would ya stop, ya dont need to bring that ****e into what people deem to be having some cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

kona wrote: »
    Would ya stop, ya dont need to bring that ****e into what people deem to be having some cop on.

Calm down. It's fact.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/poll-mask-wearing-divisions-remain-even-coronavirus-cases-spike-n1235028

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

7 Ryanair routes cancelled out of SNN starting from next week.

7 Ryanair routes cancelled out of SNN starting from next week.
    Source please...not that I don't believe you.

Being black, white, purple , blue, democrat, republican, gay, a tree has absolutely nothing got to do with wearing masks.

people who do not wear masks in public are just ignorant muppets and they exist across every demographic.

I dont see why everything that happens in America gets reduced into these brackets, its absolutely rediculous and just fuels the constant division over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

kona wrote: »
    Being black, white, purple , blue, democrat, republican, gay, a tree has absolutely nothing got to do with wearing masks.

people who do not wear masks in public are just ignorant muppets and they exist across every demographic.

I dont see why everything that happens in America gets reduced into these brackets, its absolutely rediculous and just fuels the constant division over there.

Can we stick to Aviation, Masks is a different thread. Thanks.

Advertisement