Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

efanton wrote: »
    What are you ranting about?
    You do realise that you are criticising thousands of ordinary workers, who being PAYE all their lives would not have a clue about taxation.
    Many of them would be supporters of the current government, not that that should make a difference.

If I give you money and there are conditions attached would you not agree that it is my duty to make those conditions clear before you take that money.

All the government had to do was make it clear that these sums were taxable when they announced the scheme. People have to budget their money, now more than ever in this crisis, to do that they have to know what to budget for.
    Somehow, according to you, no matter what happens its someone else's fault never the government. FG appear to be faultless and infallible.

No doubt you will make yet more excuses, so fire away.

You thought there was Vat on rent a few days ago. Your knowledge of the tax system is not a barometer for everyone else.

People who usually earn a high income will pay some tax on these payments, people who earn a low income will pay little or nothing. It all seems fair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Before this coronavirus crisis, we had 4% unemployment (dole).

A big part of that 4% are unhirable, you see them standing outside Pubs and Bookies, or at the wheel of a very nice van towing a caravan. This will never change and might account for 2.5% of the total above. The other 1.5% will flip flop in and out of employment most of their working lifes.

This is not a big part of our SW budget, and for every Margret Cash, there is a working mum who might still need some SW benefit to make ends meet.

Up this virus thing, FG had enough cash coming in to build some homes, or to open some closed hospital wards, but did not, and they did try to hide behind the "we spending too much on SW excuse."

FG will do what they do best, and that is to look after the secect few, and this will never change.

What age was Enda when he got his pension ?
    What age will you be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

smurgen wrote: »
    Harris seems to be ignoring nursing homes big time. Especially with so many clusters now reported in them. Wonder why he couldn't return the calls or mails from Tadhg Daly?

https://twitter.com/GCraughwell/status/1247974624362745859?s=19

We all know Simon Harris has a batphone next to him at all times, for important calls like this. :rolleyes:

blanch152 wrote: »
    Did people really think that they would be getting their wages tax-free just because the government were paying them?

Seriously?

Free money being subject to tax?
    "How dare they tax my free money! I worked hard for it!"

Yeap, lots of idiots around.

You do realise that you are criticising thousands of ordinary workers, who being PAYE all their lives would not have a clue about taxation.

I ROFL! :D:D

Yes, there are idiots out there, (as we can see from this very thread) but most people who work should know and do know about taxation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,121 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Many of them would be supporters of the current government, not that that should make a difference.

If I give you money and there are conditions attached would you not agree that it is my duty to make those conditions clear before you take that money.

All the government had to do was make it clear that these sums were taxable when they announced the scheme. People have to budget their money, now more than ever in this crisis, to do that they have to know what to budget for.
    Somehow, according to you, no matter what happens its someone else's fault never the government. FG appear to be faultless and infallible.

No doubt you will make yet more excuses, so fire away.

Why waste a nice PR opportunity? FG can't resist this kind of manipulation in it's current form and under it's present leadership.
    And it will undo a lot of the gains they have made.
    I see people who took them at face value are being arrogantly (as usual) called 'idiots' again. Another few minus points.
    They will be fighting a rearguard action even before this phase of the crisis is over and we move on to the politically hard bit - the recovery.

They will be fighting a rearguard action even before this phase of the crisis is over and we move on to the politically hard bit - the recovery.

Yes, and we will have people like you, here every step of the way telling us all on what they are doing wrong, not what they should be doing instead.

I think deep down you think you are doing some service, like the Nights Watch from, Game of Thrones.
    When will your watch end Francie! :pac:

markodaly wrote: »
    Yes, and we will have people like you,

Plenty of people like me Mark...approx 80% of the electorate at the last election if memory serves me correctly.

Plenty of people like me Mark...approx 80% of the electorate at the last election if memory serves me correctly.

They are online every day, talking down the government with dozens of daily posts?

Nope, there are not many like you, in fact I think there is one you, as your post count can attest to.

They are online every day, talking down the government with dozens of daily posts?

Nope, there are not many like you, in fact I think there is one you, as your post count can attest to.

:D:D you need to get me out of your head Mark...seriously and evict those shinners too. It's getting a tad weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The people have broadly temporarily set-aside their disdain for what was and is a pretty unpopular government. As I mentioned in another thread, the cabinet did the old "break glass in emergency for green jersey" routine. Don't confuse that with the people actually thinking that FG are now competent to solve the issues that led to the electoral thrashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I ROFL! :D:D

Yes, there are idiots out there, (as we can see from this very thread) but most people who work should know and do know about taxation.

Most people played with toys like this when they were toddlers,
    you would expect it would help most gain knowledge about sizes, shapes and dimensions.
    KxjlYst.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Christ FG being very FG as usual. Look after the lads and distance yourself from responsibility.

https://twitter.com/paulodonoghue93/status/1248575996531486726?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

smurgen wrote: »
    Christ FG being very FG as usual. Look after the lads and distance yourself from responsibility.

https://twitter.com/paulodonoghue93/status/1248575996531486726?s=19

This is one for Dinny,, big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Why is Dublin Port still open to holiday makers? This is scandalous.

https://extra.ie/2020/04/10/news/irish-news/ferry-passengers-lockdown-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Whelo79 wrote: »

shut down businesses, but allow this! LOL!

Whelo79 wrote: »

I see the French turned back a private jet out of the UK full of holiday makers...why can't the government get their act together on this? So easy to do. Another lapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

satguy wrote: »
    This is one for Dinny,, big time.

If anyone needed to cocoon it's Dinny, obese , probably diabetic,borderline alcoholic, accesscto industrial quantites of Columbian marching powder, too many sexual partners from third world countries, he probably should be a one man quarantine zone at all times

I see the French turned back a private jet out of the UK full of holiday makers...why can't the government get their act together on this? So easy to do. Another lapse.

Maybe because its not true .... ??

https://twitter.com/fergalrte/status/1248275464336093185

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

So Fergal had the time to drive to Dublin Port and Rosslare, count all the disembarking vehicles and question them? Good on him

There are plenty of reports to contradict him! And if it was quite on Tuesday or Wednesday it doesn't mean it was quite yesterday or today!

• Advertisement

Why would you believe one journalist over another?

Genuine question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

According to today's press conference, the flights coming in from the UK are minuscule numbers and are returning Irish
    Ditto at the ferries
    The rest is cargo
    So definitely not another lapse,Just an under informed opinion

Mortelaro wrote: »
    According to today's press conference, the flights coming in from the UK are minuscule numbers and are returning Irish
    Ditto at the ferries
    The rest is cargo
    So definitely not another lapse,Just an under informed opinion

Returning with caravans and cars with roofboxes etc?

I thought people were told emphatically to stay put wherever they are? How was it the Garda Commissioner put it...wherever you are now, that is your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jizique

That particular jet sounded a bit dodgy - I was surprised they weren’t lifted for sex trafficking or soliciting hookers based on the reports

Returning with caravans and cars with roofboxes etc?

I thought people were told emphatically to stay put wherever they are? How was it the Garda Commissioner put it...wherever you are now, that is your home.

Well I'd assume returning Irish from Australia could bring their cars too if it wasnt too expensive
    The camper Van's could have been travelers,I saw one in that photo
    If you had a car in the UK and decided to return home ,wouldn't you want to bring your UK reg car?
    Be cheaper than buying one here anyway
    Why would you believe one journalist over another?

Genuine question.

Of course like you,I cannot confirm any of this,but do note that the RTÉ reporter actually spoke to the drivers,whereas extra.ie didn't report that they did,which must mean they didn't

Well I'd assume returning Irish from Australia could bring their cars too if it wasnt too expensive
    The camper Van's could have been travelers,I saw one in that photo
    If you had a car in the UK and decided to return home ,wouldn't you want to bring your UK reg car?
    Be cheaper than buying one here anyway

Of course like you,I cannot confirm any of this,but do note that the RTÉ reporter actually spoke to the drivers,whereas extra.ie didn't report that they did,which must mean they didn't

He's been at every ferry talking to all drivers?

Seems like a lot of people are still on the move to me.

We'll no doubt hear more as the weekend goes on.

He's been at every ferry talking to all drivers?
    That's ridiculous
    He spoke to a representative sample and by the looks of things did more research than extra.ie
    Seems like a lot of people are still on the move to me.

We'll no doubt hear more as the weekend goes on.

The Taoiseach at the press conference said that they looked into the numbers
    Minuscule
    They would have access to the Garda immigration bureau stats
    Extra.ie,I should imagine have not

That's ridiculous
    He spoke to a representative sample and by the looks of things did more research than extra.ie

How many drivers do you need to talk to to have a 'representative' sample? Might people coming in for a holiday they know is verbotten maybe tell Fergal a fib or two?
    The Taoiseach at the press conference said that they looked into the numbers
    Minuscule
    They would have access to the Garda immigration bureau stats
    Extra.ie,I should imagine have not

What figures did Leo quote?

How many drivers do you need to talk to to have a 'representative' sample? Might people coming in for a holiday they know is verbotten maybe tell Fergal a fib or two?

What figures did Leo quote?
    As you know,he didn't quote any figures, just that it was mostly freight and Returned Irish

Passports are scanned at airports

• Advertisement

As you know,he didn't quote any figures, just that it was mostly freight and Returned Irish

Passports are scanned at airports

So nobody has quoted any actual figures. Excellent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement