Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to just do nothing for the next 5 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

McMurphy wrote: »
    There is a bit of a policy robbing trend going on tbf.

https://twitter.com/EOBroin/status/1248534241014624256?s=19

Hahahaa he must be raging. Maybe its junevile but I am getting some entertainment out of whats happened to Sinn Fein in all this. I don't particularily dislike them but it is funny.

Courier companies temperature check their employees at start of shift yet people working in multiple nursing homes don't?

Watching a UK News report this morning and it showed nurses going in to corona virus patients. They wore face masks, disposable aprons, gloves, but also had short sleeved tunics, hair swinging loose and big earrings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

MadYaker wrote: »
    Hahahaa he must be raging. Maybe its junevile but I am getting some entertainment out of whats happened to Sinn Fein in all this. I don't particularily dislike them but it is funny.

What has happened to them?

What I personally find funny is that despite FF or FG berating their policies - after the thrashing both got in the last election, suddenly these unworkable policies are being robbed and they're promising to implement them themselves, how this will go down in future election campaign debates will be interesting for sure.

SF are still in prime position, if the unholy alliance of a grand coalition between FFG comes about due to the shinners - they become the main opposition party, and when one of the two of them ultimately devours the other the shinners just need to sit back - grin and watch.

One other thing to keep in mind is, if the unholy alliance comes about, there's only son many cabinet positions to go around, there's going to be an awful lot of TDs with their nose out of joint feeling they were overlooked.

My bets are on fg being the party that gets devoured btw, they might be cute hoors, but FF are masters of cute hoorism.

I reckon O' Broin etc are far from raging, as I said they're in prime position right now. I reckon Leo or Michéal would swap spaces with him in a heart beat. :D

A good speech by An Taoiseach

“Mr Varadkar said that on Easter Sunday “whether we have faith or not” people should remember the Easter message “of suffering and sacrifice followed by rebirth and renewal and, above all, a message of hope as winter turns to spring”.

“When this emergency ends we will mourn the dead, comfort the bereaved and be together again,” he said.

“We will re-awaken the sleeping giant that is our economy, our people will go back to work and our businesses will reopen, and taking what we’ve learned, we will build a better society at the end of this — a great society for a great people.””

A good speech by An Taoiseach

“Mr Varadkar said that on Easter Sunday “whether we have faith or not” people should remember the Easter message “of suffering and sacrifice followed by rebirth and renewal and, above all, a message of hope as winter turns to spring”.

“When this emergency ends we will mourn the dead, comfort the bereaved and be together a gain,” he said.

“We will re-awaken the sleeping giant that is our economy, our people will go back to work and our businesses will reopen, and taking what we’ve learned, we will build a better society at the end of this — a great society for a great people.””

You realise they're not Leo's speeches right?

He reads someone else's speech from an autocue?

I didn't hear it myself, and as a matter of fact I agreed broadly with the sentiments of the St Patrick's night speech (even if some of it was a bit English wartime regaling) but I am curious if you understand that Leo is reading of a script written by someone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

So many other countries are paying unemployed a percentage of their previous salary. Shows you the idiocy of the system here . Many have taken big income hit and some better off on the e350 payment. If they already had a proper system implemented here, this would have been far more calculated than the shot in the dark payment they made

• Registered Users Posts: 67,490 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What I personally find funny is that despite FF or FG berating their policies - after the thrashing both got in the last election, suddenly these unworkable policies are being robbed and they're promising to implement them themselves, how this will go down in future election campaign debates will be interesting for sure.

SF are still in prime position, if the unholy alliance of a grand coalition between FFG comes about due to the shinners - they become the main opposition party, and when one of the two of them ultimately devours the other the shinners just need to sit back - grin and watch.

One other thing to keep in mind is, if the unholy alliance comes about, there's only son many cabinet positions to go around, there's going to be an awful lot of TDs with their nose out of joint feeling they were overlooked.

My bets are on fg being the party that gets devoured btw, they might be cute hoors, but FF are masters of cute hoorism.

I reckon O' Broin etc are far from raging, as I said they're in prime position right now. I reckon Leo or Michéal would swap spaces with him in a heart beat. :D

Comment on the radio this AM is that Leo may now be taking his chances and going for an election.

Expect to see more PR stunts to make them look like the saviours of the country and to whitewash over the recent history of their governance.

Will be interesting to see FF turn critical of FG when it becomes clear that is what FG are doing.
    Michael won't take it lying down, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

SF should know all about stealing policies but it took them a long time (and thousands dead, young men and women serving long prison sentences) to realise that a political approach works better than violence.
    If SF policies are taken by other parties and actually work it is those parties that will get the credit. The Shinners will have 4/5 years to watch and grin all they like but I think whinging is more their style

Edgware wrote: »
    SF should know all about stealing policies but it took them a long time (and thousands dead, young men and women serving long prison sentences) to realise that a political approach works better than violence.
    If SF policies are taken by other parties and actually work it is those parties that will get the credit. The Shinners will have 4/5 years to watch and grin all they like but I think whinging is more their style

Yawn. Same shyte - different day.

I can see them doing badly again if another election, many don't agree with the way this is being handled . Have one quick any way Leo if that's your intention, it will rightfully be seen as cynical opportunism. Do it before the emergency budget has to be introduced, when the bill for shutting everything down arrives and public sentiment changes

Francie I could see this driving even more to sf,,, how many didn't see the last surge coming , that would have gone out to vote sf, if they knew there would be the surge instead of adopting the defeatist, it will be ff or fg as ever...

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I can see them doing badly again if another election, many don't agree with the way this is being handled . Have one quick any way Leo if that's your intention, it will rightfully be seen as cynical opportunism. Do it before the emergency budget has to be introduced, when the bill for shutting everything down arrives and public sentiment changes

Francie I could see this driving even more to sf,,, how many didn't see the last surge coming , that would have gone out to vote sf, if they knew there would be the surge instead of adopting the defeatist, it will be ff or fg as ever...

Said it before, if it is a democracy we live in then another election is what we need. At whatever financial cost.

2 parties have now taken to try to sledgehammer a load of independents into a policy framework that is just another way of controlling the power. A 'policy framework' that seems to me to be a mixum bagsome of vague aspiration. As Louise O'Reilly pointed out on Twitter phrases like 'a willingness to achieve...' and 'a committment to aim...' are just getout clauses really for those intending to coalesce.

Call an election, get a definitive statement from the people, after an event never seen in our lifetimes and requiring a government with a firm mandate to get us back on the road to normality, is the proper way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Maybe you're right but is the stupidity of SF wanting to slash the tax base not more apparent now than ever?

christy c wrote: »
    Maybe you're right but is the stupidity of SF wanting to slash the tax base not more apparent now than ever?

Refresh my memory, what was their intention with the tax base ?

Said it before, if it is a democracy we live in then another election is what we need. At whatever financial cost.

2 parties have now taken to try to sledgehammer a load of independents into a policy framework that is just another way of controlling the power. A 'policy framework' that seems to me to be a mixum bagsome of vague aspiration. As Louise O'Reilly pointed out on Twitter phrases like 'a willingness to achieve...' and 'a committment to aim...' are just getout clauses really for those intending to coalesce.

Call an election, get a definitive statement from the people, after an event never seen in our lifetimes and requiring a government with a firm mandate to get us back on the road to normality, is the proper way forward.

And keep calling elections until we get the result you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Refresh my memory, what was their intention with the tax base ?

Loads of waffle but at a high level was depend more on high earners and corporations, incidentally those likely to be most effected by a worldwide recession like we will have now.

And keep calling elections until we get the result you want?

No. Where was that even suggested?

No. Where was that even suggested?

In your post. You seem to be forgetting that the people have already spoken. FF and FG are the only parties having serious discussions. SF gave up within days.

In your post. You seem to be forgetting that the people have already spoken. FF and FG are the only parties having serious discussions. SF gave up within days.

FF and FG have created an artificial vacuum. They are both conspiring not to talk to SF...and then miraculously stepping in to 'fill that vacuum'. Wonderful democracy!

Of course sleeven Michael was tempted to do a solo run when he thought he could form a majority government with SF.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/martin-opens-the-door-to-coalition-with-sinn-fein-38941313.html

Now Leo, buoyed by good PR out of a pandemic is considering a solo run of his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

FF and FG have created an artificial vacuum. They are both conspiring not to talk to SF...and then miraculously stepping in to 'fill that vacuum'. Wonderful democracy!

Of course sleeven Michael was tempted to do a solo run when he thought he could form a majority government with SF.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/martin-opens-the-door-to-coalition-with-sinn-fein-38941313.html

Now Leo, buoyed by good PR out of a pandemic is considering a solo run of his own.

And SF claim to stand for "change" yet seem desperate to go in with the very people their voters wanted "change" from.

There is no conspiracy, not talking to SF has been a consistent message from FG. They are opposed to their politics.

The election result was a bit of a mess from the perspective of forming a government. Someone was going to have to "betray" their voters

• Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What do you need that info for? Are you gonna tell us what is essential or not and smack me for venturing out? :)

Touched a nerve?

Your are full of yourself in fairness Francie.

You were giving out about all these people coming over from the UK and venturing out in Ireland.... but you yourself went to the UK numerous times over this lockdown, because you are 'apparently' in an essential service, which I doubt.

I think I read somewhere you sell flowers or plants/shurbs or something like that Not an essential service, but I am sure you are special and all.
    One rule for us, one for Francie.

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    Touched a nerve?

Your are full of yourself in fairness Francie.

You were giving out about all these people coming over from the UK and venturing out in Ireland.... but you yourself went to the UK numerous times over this lockdown, because you are 'apparently' in an essential service, which I doubt.

I think I read somewhere you sell flowers or plants/shurbs or something like that Not an essential service, but I am sure you are special and all.
    One rule for us, one for Francie.

I challenge you to go back that one up. :):)

Why is it about 'me' Mark? Why can't you deal with the points made.

And SF claim to stand for "change" yet seem desperate to go in with the very people their voters wanted "change" from.

There is no conspiracy, not talking to SF has been a consistent message from FG. They are opposed to their politics.

The election result was a bit of a mess from the perspective of forming a government. Someone was going to have to "betray" their voters

TBH I don't think it is 'desperation' anything. SF said they would go in with them under a programme for government that met their aims.

Martin certainly was happy to consider them when he thought he had the upper hand in seat numbers but quickly retreated up onto the bull**** strewn higher moral ground.

FF said the same thing about FG and look what is happening. FG too, made plenty of nosie about accepting the verdict of the people and going into opposition 'happily', and look at what is happening. Both parties, seeing advantage, are conspiring to take it. Quite simple really and nothing to do with what the people said at the last election. Which is why I think we need another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

TBH I don't think it is 'desperation' anything. SF said they would go in with them under a programme for government that met their aims.

Martin certainly was happy to consider them when he thought he had the upper hand in seat numbers but quickly retreated up onto the bull**** strewn higher moral ground.

FF said the same thing about FG and look what is happening. FG too, made plenty of nosie about accepting the verdict of the people and going into opposition 'happily', and look at what is happening. Both parties, seeing advantage, are conspiring to take it. Quite simple really and nothing to do with what the people said at the last election. Which is why I think we need another one.

Apart from one comment Martin has been consistent in his feeling for SF.

FG and SF are far apart, getting an acceptable program to both is a pipedream.

I agree with SF not being desperate (but they do like to talk about "exclusion" on social media. I don't think they actually want to be near government but are playing to the gallery a bit, preparing the narrative for opposition.

Some crazy tinfoil hat stuff there.

However it is odd. Supporters of SF are HAPPY that they are going into opposition.... and for years we have been telling them that in GE 2016 that they ****ed off when the hard negotiations were to be had only to be met with a chorus of bots stating that SF were always available for government.

Delicious. :p

As to FF subsuming FG, neither are subsuming each other in the near or medium term future. They actually speak to a different demographic, the FF demographic would be closer to the SF one, just speak to Eamon o'Cuiv! :D

I challenge you to go back that one up. :):)

Why is it about 'me' Mark? Why can't you deal with the points made.

What exactly is your 'point'

You broke lockdown rules because your business is an essential one, but you wont tell us what that is?
    Is that your point?

Some crazy tinfoil hat stuff there.

Haven't even bothered reading the rest of the post, but what exactly is crazy tinfoil hat about any of the post?

If you feel any of it was inaccurate, let me know and we'll discuss.

You realise they're not Leo's speeches right?

He reads someone else's speech from an autocue?

...as are most speaches ever made.

God, you must be some bore to be around. When you hear JFK or Obama speech of old, do you say, 'You know, he is just reading that from an autocue'
    You must be great craic down the pub!

You broke lockdown rules because your business is an essential one, but you wont tell us what that is?
    Is that your point?

Why should anyone discuss their profession on a public forum that provides anonymity?

My work is deemed essential too, but if I said what my job entailed I'd be pretty much recognisable straight away as there's not many in Ireland that do it.

Apart from one comment Martin has been consistent in his feeling for SF.

FG and SF are far apart, getting an acceptable program to both is a pipedream.

I agree with SF not being desperate (but they do like to talk about "exclusion" on social media. I don't think they actually want to be near government but are playing to the gallery a bit, preparing the narrative for opposition.

One comment? Like taking the high moral ground for the entire election campaign and then when he saw a chance...boom...out the window goes the faux 'repugnance'?

Then does the same after spending the entire campaign saying he won't coalesce with FG? Then..opportunity knocks...off we go into a huddle? Same with FG. Talk the talk but if the sleeveen way presents itself they go for it, knowing people will just go...'that's what politicians are like' and on we go.

You've gotten to used too sleeveen politics I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Is that your point?

I said in that post that it was an essential trip.

Mind your own business and stop trying to make the thread about me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement