Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

So, any hints on the best place to see it landing ?

Dublin to Knock airport,via M/N4 takes about 2:30 .Is that corect ?

503098.jpg

Are the planes landing from left side (East) or from right side (West) !?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

rolion wrote: »

It all depends on what way the wind is blowing....

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I was on one for several hours from Johannesburg to Dubai. Nothing special to be honest

I'd take a 747 any day! Not been on one tho... Biggest i've gotten on is a Aeroflot 777-300

Thursday now, no time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I'm based near Knock. The airport is distancing itself from the potential for the arrival of the A338, as is the FB group, which is a private group set up by enthusiasts in the area. When the c17's began to arrive around Joe Biden's visit, things became daft as folks started posting erroneous info to both EIKN's page and the FB group so it had to be reigned in.
    The last thing they need is a crowd of lost Dubs trundling around the boggy mountain top trying to peer through the horizontal rain, of which there is much :)
    I do jest of course.
    However, that being said, Here are the facts. Yes there is a company based at NOC licenced to scrap aircraft up to and including an A338. Yes, there are up to 3 speculated to arrive at some stage....BUT...
    I have a friend who works at Dresden, where they now sit and he tells me that the aircraft scheduled to arrive here has just had a quick refurbish in the EADS hanger and is now scheduled to fly to the U.S. on the 24th. So, unless plans change, it's a non runner. I will however keep you posted if plans change.

• Advertisement

503098.jpg

Our prevailing winds come from the......
    So aircraft will be landing towards the.

:)

That's the original heads up got, however I received news this morning that Indicated another change of plans.

503098.jpg

Sounds about right on the trip time from Dublin, well I'm presuming you don't leave at rush hour.

Which runway it lands on entirely depends on the winds, thought I think ideally they will want to use 26 as that has a full cat 2 ILS.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Neworder79

eikn-ariel-labels2.jpg

If photography is important there are a few spots people use outside the Perimeter fence:

A- Main 26 approach (form East) lights/turnpad, good for overhead and elevated view over the countryside. Narrow local road so could park on the lay-by on the main access road and few min walk.

B- Local road passes 08 (from West) approach/fire training area, not best for photos.

C- Local cul-de-sac leading to perimeter fence/VOR. Good views for runway touchdown/airport in backdrop but limited car space.

--

D- The airport has a good viewing lounge on 1st floor for 26 approaches and main apron, you can partly see second apron with bar/cafe/parking bonus.

E- Hangar area normally accessible, but road could be restricted if crowds turned up.

20th 1130

• Advertisement

20th 1130

Spot on. Flight number AF373v departing 9.00z

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

Sounds about right on the trip time from Dublin, well I'm presuming you don't leave at rush hour.

Which runway it lands on entirely depends on the winds, thought I think ideally they will want to use 26 as that has a full cat 2 ILS.
    Is there space to turn an A380 on that runway? Looks tight. If not then I guess it will have to land from the East.

plodder wrote: »
    Is there space to turn an A380 on that runway? Looks tight. If not then I guess it will have to land from the East.

It will roll to a stop opposite Bravo, then get towed in. It will be light, so will stop in time.

You are right it could change again

You are right it could change again

Yep. I've a mate working there as a dispatcher, and my German is rusty, but apparently the Owners want to keep the airframe active, hence the earlier flighplan to the states. Now he's telling me of a 20th departure. There are currently 3 sitting on the ramp, which as you can imagine is drawing quite a crowd at the Eads hanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

greenpilot wrote: »
    It will roll to a stop opposite Bravo, then get towed in. It will be light, so will stop in time.
    Yeah, was just wondering what if it had to land from the West. Then it would have to turn 180 deg on the runway which might not be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Neworder79

plodder wrote: »
    Yeah, was just wondering what if it had to land from the West. Then it would have to turn 180 deg on the runway which might not be possible.

Flight plan takes weather and all these factors into account. It's a 2400x45m runway which A380 operates on round the world. This isn't regular heavy operations so it's more to do with wingspan, engine object clearance and taxiway curve/widths. If previous fully laden 747s managed to turn on the old runway, I think they can handle an empty A380 with the large turn pads and extensions added at at both ends since then (+ towing... should the need arise).

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Neworder79 wrote: »
    eikn-ariel-labels2.jpg

If photography is important there are a few spots people use outside the Perimeter fence:

A- Main 26 approach (form East) lights/turnpad, good for overhead and elevated view over the countryside. Narrow local road so could park on the lay-by on the main access road and few min walk.

B- Local road passes 08 (from West) approach/fire training area, not best for photos.

C- Local cul-de-sac leading to perimeter fence/VOR. Good views for runway touchdown/airport in backdrop but limited car space.

--

D- The airport has a good viewing lounge on 1st floor for 26 approaches and main apron, you can partly see second apron with bar/cafe/parking bonus.

E- Hangar area normally accessible, but road could be restricted if crowds turned up.

E is not accessible. There is a locked gate immediately to the right of the E on map.

Connacht wrote: »
    E is not accessible. There is a locked gate immediately to the right of the E on map.

Correct. It's best to give the Eirtrade hanger a wide berth to let them get on with things IF, and that's a big if, an aircraft arrives. Otherwise things may tighten up for spotters etc. Id stay away from that gate. The other spora are all good. I shot the film, One day at Knock from a gatepost on the south side of the runway with excellent results as the sun is shining right along the side of any arriving aircraft. You just need a good ND filter.

Hi,

Would you mind pm ing me. I have news.

P.

• Advertisement

greenpilot wrote: »
    Hi,

Would you mind pm ing me. I have news.

P.

share with us all :D

share with us all :D

Basically folks it’s on and off more times than a light switch. It seems my source is close if not the same as Greenpilots so if he posts with info then it’s good.

Bear in mind that their is probably many different plates spinning to get this aircraft moved between weather, pilots, certs, technically and logistically ready, airport readiness, sign off by authorities, insurers etc that for it to get the go ahead each time the window is small.

Don’t hate the players , hate the game. Just pray it doesn’t arrive when it’s dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I think that this thread is more fun than actually watching the aircraft arrive. Thank you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Whats the story with the pilots on an event like this. Are they freelance? Or who do they work for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Whats the story with the pilots on an event like this. Are they freelance? Or who do they work for?

My guess is that the lease doesn't close until the aircraft is in its final location.
    If the leasing company had to organise pilots, insurance, AOC etc on their own, it'd be a real balls.
    That being the case, the aircraft would ferry to Ireland under Air France insurance and AOC with their own pilots.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

God, the wife is going to kill me if this plane does not arrive soon. Planned to go away Friday, changed plans, now she wants to go away Thursday. Don't think I'll get changing again!!!! Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it. First A380 up close

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seems to be great interest in this aircraft. You'd think the airport or eirtrade would just setup a sign posted viewing position for it and give dates and times and be done with it.

It's probably a once off and a bit of good publicity. The secrecy is a bit.... Well ... Stupid.

I can understand local spotters not wanting to give away there spots etc etc as is their right. but if the airport just made a bit of a public occasion it would be sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

listermint wrote: »
    Seems to be great interest in this aircraft. You'd think the airport or eirtrade would just setup a sign posted viewing position for it and give dates and times and be done with it.

It's probably a once off and a bit of good publicity. The secrecy is a bit.... Well ... Stupid.

I can understand local spotters not wanting to give away there spots etc etc as is their right. but if the airport just made a bit of a public occasion it would be sensible.

The issue is though, as has been seen on this thread, is that plans can change until the last minute. The airport could make a fanfare about it but at the last minute the flight could be delayed/cancelled. There’d be families with kids etc on the way to the airport, the bad PR wouldn’t be worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Ryanair should pick up a few 380s on the cheap and start their USA service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Jeez the Ryanair cabin crew cleaning a 380 in 20 minutes ��

Advertisement