Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Any idea if this big bird is still scheduled for Knock today, or has Storm Dennis postponed her arrival??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Cancelled for the time being. No new date yet sorry.
    Any idea if this big bird is still scheduled for Knock today, or has Storm Dennis postponed her arrival??

GVHOT posted this yesterday ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Looks like Tuesday now.
    Qantas VH-OQA arrived in Dresden yesterday, also destined for scrappage at Knock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

mayotom wrote: »
    Looks like Tuesday now.
    Qantas VH-OQA arrived in Dresden yesterday, also destined for scrappage at Knock.

That was the aircraft that had the catastrophic engine failure a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Confirmed for Tuesday. Time to be confirmed. The German Dresden aircraft enthusiasts are in full swing at the moment discussing the logistics of getting AF375s into the Airport. 3 A380's will be scrapped initially.
    I'm looking forward to shooting this from my usual spot. Packed lunch and a flask up on the gate pillar methinks!

• Advertisement

Confirmed for Tuesday. Time to be confirmed. The German Dresden aircraft enthusiasts are in full swing at the moment discussing the logistics of getting AF375s into the Airport. 3 A380's will be scrapped initially.
    I'm looking forward to shooting this from my usual spot. Packed lunch and a flask up on the gate pillar methinks!

GM228 wrote: »
    Privately or publically, the only "official" word I have seen is a resounding "no" from the airport on Twitter.

Ok. It's definitely coming. I have contacts in both Leipzig and Dresden. Knock info are playing it down as they want to keep it low key for their own purposes. They have nothing to do with Eirtrade.
    There will be 3 aircraft in total over the coming weeks. I have a pic on my phone of the first aircraft sitting on the ramp in Leipzig waiting for the opportunity to leave.
    I have it in good repute that it will be a next Tuesday arrival. No time yet. I'm keeping an eye on my German contacts. One of them is a despatcher.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    That was the aircraft that had the catastrophic engine failure a while back.

The very one

Here she is, parked up yesterday at Leipzig waiting for an opportunity to get going.

Looks like Tuesday now.

Yeah that’s what I have as well but this source wasn’t reliable. Looking forward to the photos and videos of their arrival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

The quintessential white elephant. What a waste.

Oh well, we all make mistakes, even Airbus.

Half tempted to go down to Knock for a gander. Never seen an A380 in the flesh before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they should use the fuselage for emergecy accomodation in dublin, throw it down in phoenix park somewhere! get ethihad or whoever, to insall their fancy suits into every last inch of it ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Apparently the two Qantas A380's in Dresden are there for a cabin refit and there is no mention of any Qantas A380 being retired or scrapped yet. The all Eurowhite A380 is a former Air France A380 that does appear to be going for scrap. I can't imagine Knock as a suitable place to scrap an aircraft, wouldn't the constant rain destroy everything? especially as spare parts and not scrap metal seem to be the big money spinner from these. Getting the cockpit soaked in rain with a hole in the roof wouldn't see too many salvageable parts I'd reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

theguzman wrote: »
    Apparently the two Qantas A380's in Dresden are there for a cabin refit and there is no mention of any Qantas A380 being retired or scrapped yet. The all Eurowhite A380 is a former Air France A380 that does appear to be going for scrap. I can't imagine Knock as a suitable place to scrap an aircraft, wouldn't the constant rain destroy everything? especially as spare parts and not scrap metal seem to be the big money spinner from these. Getting the cockpit soaked in rain with a hole in the roof wouldn't see too many salvageable parts I'd reckon.

They take most of the valuable stuff out before it gets to the scrapper and they then carefully remove anything that can be reused before they cut it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

theguzman wrote: »
    I can't imagine Knock as a suitable place to scrap an aircraft, wouldn't the constant rain destroy everything? especially as spare parts and not scrap metal seem to be the big money spinner from these. Getting the cockpit soaked in rain with a hole in the roof wouldn't see too many salvageable parts I'd reckon.

I mean seriously, if that was actually the case, do you think there would be an aircraft scrappage company based at the airport? Do you actually think it rains there all day, every day, and never stops?

Of course an aircraft can be scrapped there, all that is needed is a runway long enough to allow it to land and at 2,340 metres, Knock has that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I wonder will they road freight the engines out, or will they be picked up by a freighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Lurching wrote: »
    I wonder will they road freight the engines out, or will they be picked up by a freighter?

Unless there is an urgent commercial need for them, whatever is cheapest, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Did anyone else notice that all threads relating to this have disappeared from a FB group overnight?

hopeso wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that all threads relating to this have disappeared from a FB group overnight?

Yes, with a post stating what that page was for., Which doesn't say anything about not discussing this. All a bit strange.

Yes, with a post stating what that page was for., Which doesn't say anything about not discussing this. All a bit strange.

One of the admins there throws the toys out sometimes. Needs to lighten up a bit.

• Advertisement

I never noticed the updated post. Just read it now. It is all a bit strange...... :confused:

greenpilot wrote: »
    One of the admins there throws the toys out sometimes. Needs to lighten up a bit.

Not much of a group then, if a major event like this involving the airport is off topic......

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

Sad to see it being scrapped but I understand the reasons. Curiously I flew it from CDG to LHR back in 2010 when AF was using the aircraft on that route to build up flying hours for the crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

sidekick wrote: »
    Sad to see it being scrapped but I understand the reasons. Curiously I flew it from CDG to LHR back in 2010 when AF was using the aircraft on that route to build up flying hours for the crew.

It's a terrible shame these never really took off, only seemed to work for Emirates really with their superhub in Dubai. I have to say, having flown on one from Dubai to Athens, it really is a lovely airplane with a great passenger experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I flew to Aus and back a few years ago on the A380 and thought it by far the nicest longhaul aircraft I ever flew on. A real shame it wasn't a commercial success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

hopeso wrote: »

What group is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Comhra wrote: »
    I flew to Aus and back a few years ago on the A380 and thought it by far the nicest longhaul aircraft I ever flew on. A real shame it wasn't a commercial success.

Likewise - a couple of times. You'd think with the Covid-19 virus outbreak, some governments would put a thought to equipping these as mobile hospitals/clinics for just such disasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Inquitus wrote: »
    It's a terrible shame these never really took off, only seemed to work for Emirates really with their superhub in Dubai. I have to say, having flown on one from Dubai to Athens, it really is a lovely airplane with a great passenger experience.

The AF ones are a bit dated now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

The quintessential white elephant. What a waste.

Oh well, we all make mistakes, even Airbus.

Half tempted to go down to Knock for a gander. Never seen an A380 in the flesh before.

I was on one for several hours from Johannesburg to Dubai. Nothing special to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

cnocbui wrote: »
    Likewise - a couple of times. You'd think with the Covid-19 virus outbreak, some governments would put a thought to equipping these as mobile hospitals/clinics for just such disasters.

Fly around for 14 days as an airborne quarantine? :rolleyes:

Advertisement