Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Random thought, why do they waste time painting out the old livery prior to scrappage?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Noxegon wrote: »
    Random thought, why do they waste time painting out the old livery prior to scrappage?

I would think having your logo on a plane being crushed up looks pretty bad from a reputational standpoint?

Plus paint issues with recycling maybe?

I should have info later about the arrival day and hopefully time.

Cancelled for the time being. No new date yet sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

Stupid Irish weather :mad: .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Noxegon wrote: »

I find the act of painting over the livery on crashed planes to be far more of a waste considering everyone already knows who's plane it was that crashed.

I suppose the idea when they're going in for scrappage is that they could conceivably be sitting in public view, rusting away for quite a while, and it wouldn't look good for the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Due to weather? Knock is a Cat2 airport??

Anyway I spoke to one pilots I know from AirFrance, he asked internally and was told this is not going to Knock.

So I’d love to know how accurate your source of information is..

Xpro wrote: »

Anyway I spoke to one pilots I know from AirFrance, he asked internally and was told this is not going to Knock.

I guess maybe the aircraft in question can only land a Knock when the winds are just right. And is the aircraft still owned by Air France? I thought the company who are supposed to scrap it are the new owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

If it's been returned to the lessor it should have nothing to do with Air France anymore.

It was withdrawn from use in November, even Air France wouldn't be that silly to still have it on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

If it's been returned to the lessor it should have nothing to do with Air France anymore.

It was withdrawn from use in November, even Air France wouldn't be that silly to still have it on their books.

When going for scrap it remains registered to the last user AFAIK, in fact it was returned to the Dr.Peters Group (the owners) in November and repainted white, but continued in use with AF until the end of 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

GM228 wrote: »
    When going for scrap it remains registered to the last user AFAIK, in fact it was returned to the Dr.Peters Group (the owners) in November and repainted white, but continued in use with AF until the end of 2019

My mistake, I stand corrected on the dates.

Even so, once it's handed back I doubt Air France would have much, if any, say in where the aircraft is scrapped let alone of their pilots?

Xpro wrote: »

I’ve seen the Air France aircraft scheduler with it on it. Knock ATC confirmed they were told it was coming. Knock Airport have also said they expected it. Flying in Ireland have said 4 are due. How accurate is my source ???

As I have said all along, take information with a health warning. You’re entitled to question, but note so far my first paragraph plus the accuracy of the information about the test flight.

Also note the two due dates were Storm Ciara and Storm Denis.

All information needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. I’ve been burned many times, but note multiple sources have indicated this is happening at some stage and not just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I find it comical to attack GVHOT over it, worst case scenario we don't get an a380 we would never have seen anyway.

Best case, he and numerous others are correct!

Relax!

YbFocus wrote: »
    I find it comical to attack GVHOT over it, worst case scenario we don't get an a380 we would never have seen anyway.

Best case, he ans numerous others are correct!

Relax!

Thanks, but I don’t feel I’m being attacked. He is right to question it if he has different sources. Sometimes different sources say different things. It is likely that the flight is no longer on Air France’s system so his source is correct it isnt coming.

Like I said, I’ve been caught out many times and there are many out there who like to try and muddy the waters by giving wrong dates and times, it happens weekly. The amount of posts I’ve seen from groups where one person asks a question about something they’ve heard and within minutes others post dates/times/regs etc, they’ve clearly been keeping information quiet. I’m completely against that. I’m relating what I’ve heard and stated that to take it with salt and a health warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

So it's DEFINITELY coming during mid-term then?

Sweet.

:D

My mistake, I stand corrected on the dates.

Even so, once it's handed back I doubt Air France would have much, if any, say in where the aircraft is scrapped let alone of their pilots?

I would guess the Dr. Peters Group would have an agreement with AF to crew the plane to it's final resting place, doubt there are many A380 certified pilots outside of the commercial operators for such ferry flights, though I could be wrong.

Knock ATC confirmed they were told it was coming. Knock Airport have also said they expected it.

Privately or publically, the only "official" word I have seen is a resounding "no" from the airport on Twitter.

Privately or publically, the only "official" word I have seen is a resounding "no" from the airport on Twitter.

That was in response to a question asking was it happening last Friday. They answered the question that was asked. I wouldn't say that was resounding myself. The question should have been "I've heard an A380 is due in Knock to be dismantled, is that true ?".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

yer man! wrote: »
    I thought the original A380 program included the A380F, they got around 27 orders for them but they postponed production until the A380 passenger jet stabilised. I remember some big couriers being interested in them. I wonder if the freighter model would have been all that different to the passenger model.
    Yes but that was to be a production freighter, to convert a pax aircraft into a freighter would require an STC.

• Advertisement

I would guess the Dr. Peters Group would have an agreement with AF to crew the plane to it's final resting place, doubt there are many A380 certified pilots outside of the commercial operators for such ferry flights, though I could be wrong.

It has to be an Air France crew, it doesn't matter how many qualified A380 pilots are out there it's a very complicated procedure to fly an aircraft that isn't on an AOC so it's simpler that it remains on the AF AOC until it gets to its final resting place.
    Also it's quite common to have to paint the aircraft white as a return condition of the lease even if it's going to another operator who will be repainting it anyway so AF would probably have had to pay 'a fine' for not painting it. You can sometimes agree a settlement to pay but I would think in this case AF were quite happy to paint it to avoid the publicity when picture of these aircraft in bits start appearing all over the internet...

Plus I guess they’d be happy especially when they no longer own it. Bad publicity for no reason.

Plus I guess they’d be happy especially when they no longer own it. Bad publicity for no reason.
    Exactly, they don't want to become a meme...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was watching a video of a plane being scrapped on Youtube. Anyone know what the chains they use to slice through the fuselage would be made of?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was watching a video of a plane being scrapped on Youtube. Anyone know what the chains they use to slice through the fuselage would be made of?
    I've seen them do it with a JCB and a few chain saws. They're remarkably easy to tear down for scrap once you've 'harvested their organs', a couple of ramp agents with a couple of belt loaders could scrap one on a thirty minute turnround.

I’m told it’s still happening. I’ll post again when I hear something more concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Muahahaha wrote: »

metal Muahahaha :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    I find the act of painting over the livery on crashed planes to be far more of a waste considering everyone already knows who's plane it was that crashed.
    Anyone remeber the BA B777 at LHR. Sky had a camera pointed at it for about 3 hours before BA parked a fuel truck to block line of sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Assuming that we can make it on time AND the poor plane lands in Knock...

Any one care to share best route to the airport ,where to stay,where to eat.
    Whats the most effective place to capture the vibration of the engines and to see it landing clearly,without any obstructions ?
    Also,if possible to get closer near to the plane body ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

They never owned it - it was leased ;)

Advertisement