Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I'm off for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

doing some tests on aircraft 2day
    What a great trick, buy it for scrap and then fly for joyrides :)

I wonder if the 767 Glamping site has expressed any interest in some of the airframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

smurfjed wrote: »
    What a great trick, buy it for scrap and then fly for joyrides :)

I wonder if the 767 Glamping site has expressed any interest in some of the airframe.

Don't think they'll fork out 45m for the airframe although that's for parts which can be resold to someone else. Could be about 20m for the bare shell.

I would have thought that the bare shell cost would be equivalent to the scrap metal cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

irishgeo wrote: »
    I'm off for a look.

I would too if I was anywhere nearby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I'm off for a look.

Good man, I'm living in Newport which isn't too far away but have absolutely no time at the moment. Upload a few pics for us if you can.

Went up for a look very busy around with people looking at it. Engines were running as well so a nice bonus. Will put up a few pictures in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Went up for a look very busy around with people looking at it. Engines were running as well so a nice bonus. Will put up a few pictures in a bit.

Running the engines to burn off all the fuel, save having to deal with it?

here is some photos and a video where you can hear the engines at the end.

Sorry it was windy so it can be hard to hear the engines.

https://streamable.com/8bryi

enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

Have the pilots stayed on or can some of the guys at Eirtrade start these engines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

mayo.mick wrote: »

Very unlikely they'd be running engines to get rid of the fuel.
    The hourly value of the life limited parts on those engines would be phenomenal.

How did they get into that position? Does knock have tug capable of moving it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Engines or maybe just the auxiliary power unit?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

How did they get into that position? Does knock have tug capable of moving it?

Yes

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Engines or maybe just the auxiliary power unit?

I honestly wouldn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

mayo.mick wrote: »

Purely speculative but I would imagine that there are post delivery and QC tests by both the Dr. Peters Group and Eirtrade, it may be getting dismantled, but, both sides (more so Eirtrade) need to make sure all is as specified upon delivery and all is working properly.

The engines would receive a full overhaul, but all other connected and related parts and equipment need to be tested no doubt both mechanical and electrical I think.

A faulty as opposed to full working part in the aviation world could be many thousands in profits lost for the second hand market, the steering failure for example may be something small, or something bigger like a reusable part fault which will hit Eirtrade's profit and it is possible that the Dr. Peters Group would have to repair, replace or compensate.

GM228 wrote: »
    The engines would receive a full overhaul, but all other connected and related parts and equipment need to be tested no doubt both mechanical and electrical I think.

I disagree. The engines would likely have been on maintenance reserves with the lessor. If an overhaul is not due, no point in doing one.
    I would say they'll be very closely inspected and borescoped - as a part of Air France's redelivery conditions, then removed and shipped out to their next port of call (depending on whether Eirtrade bought the engines).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

What size aircraft can transport an A380 engine?

What size aircraft can transport an A380 engine?

747-400 for the RR Trent 900 or AN124 for the EA GP7000 when intact, I think the EA GP7000 can also go on a 747 when dismantled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

take the fan off, 2 lorries

• Advertisement

take the fan off, 2 lorries

One lorry will take the entire engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I don’t fault the engineering, more likely the economics sullied its future. That said, I’m no fan of travelling across the Atlantic on an A321LR.

I'd gladly take A321(X)LR direct from Cork or Shannon than connecting at AMS or LHR and flying on a widebody. I could even fly a direct East Cost route on a A220 if that meant it was economically viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

four more :D

Man,thats a nice shot...the last one is us... we were looking at your pictures and suddenly booommm...we had a surprise to see the aircraft photo and shocked when we recognised ourselves.

We been there and cried when we left...really upsetting experience.

Drove there through rain and snow , happy to see the aircraft but after the excitement of the landing,we did the mistake and went to the side of the hangar. There,we climbed up the ground and seen much closer the poor beauty... we werent able to leave and my son really really got so emotional that we almost cried with tears. We stayed until the four engines stopped spinning.

Tbh,i kind of hated the experience as after the peak of landing,all looked and felt like a decent respectfull funeral...all people, not a single word,not a single car hoouu and beep, just silence and respect !

I've made a personal movie from start to finish,i may upload it later.
    We had a nice glass of red French wine at home in honour of the beauty and the builders/pilots and all humans involved in the process.

PS
    Drivign all the way there,my son was very agitated.
    He spends lots of time in the simulator and the A380 is one of his favorites planes.

Not sure how conversation began but ive been asked:
    He: Dad,how do the pilots goes back home ?
    Me: well,they will not go home at all.
    He:Why ?
    Me:you know why took so long to get the craft here,in Knock from Germany ? All that delay ? It was very hard to find the first time pilots that flew the plane out of the factory gates... The same pilots brought plane here today and will be going down with the plane,is like kamikaze type pilots.
    He: What ??
    Me: same story as the boats and ships at sea...when ship goes down,the Captain stays with the ship, is not leaving his boat as a coward.
    He: silenced for a good few miles ... and another few ... poor soul !

He wants to be a a pilot... but not kamikaze... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

grogi wrote: »
    I'd gladly take A321(X)LR direct from Cork or Shannon than connecting at AMS or LHR and flying on a widebody. I could even fly a direct East Cost route on a A220 if that meant it was economically viable.

Yes, in that scenario it makes a lot of sense.

Me:you know why took so long to get the craft here,in Knock from Germany ? All that delay ? It was very hard to find the first time pilots that flew the plane out of the factory gates... The same pilots brought plane here today and will be going down with the plane,is like kamikaze type pilots.
    He: What ??
    Me: same story as the boats and ships at sea...when ship goes down,the Captain stays with the ship, is not leaving his boat as a coward.

You are so cruel, but i loved it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

rolion wrote: »
    Man,thats a nice shot...the last one is us... we were looking at your pictures and suddenly booommm...we had a surprise to see the aircraft photo and shocked when we recognised ourselves.

We been there and cried when we left...really upsetting experience.

Drove there through rain and snow , happy to see the aircraft but after the excitement of the landing,we did the mistake and went to the side of the hangar. There,we climbed up the ground and seen much closer the poor beauty... we werent able to leave and my son really really got so emotional that we almost cried with tears. We stayed until the four engines stopped spinning.

Tbh,i kind of hated the experience as after the peak of landing,all looked and felt like a decent respectfull funeral...all people, not a single word,not a single car hoouu and beep, just silence and respect !

I wonder was that you who climbed up the grass bank, across a small stream, along the road? (viewing the A380 from behind). A man and a young lad came up that bank while I was there...He said the same as you did...That it felt like a funeral...

rolion wrote: »
    Man,thats a nice shot...the last one is us... we were looking at your pictures and suddenly booommm...we had a surprise to see the aircraft photo and shocked when we recognised ourselves.:(

Glad you got the photo, it was very much like a funeral when everyone was leaving. Still great to that beauty landing in Knock.

hopeso wrote: »
    I wonder was that you who climbed up the grass bank, across a small stream, along the road? (viewing the A380 from behind). A man and a young lad came up that bank while I was there...He said the same as you did...That it felt like a funeral...

The world is so small... and, you are the man that said was too dear for AF to keep them runing and said as well,felt like a funeral ! :(

503790.jpg

503791.jpg

503793.JPG

503794.JPG

503795.JPG

503799.JPG

503796.JPG

503797.JPG

503798.JPG

503801.JPG

• Advertisement

Would Eirtrade need to bring in type rated engineers for some or all of the component removal?

Advertisement