Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

If either myself or Greenpilot hear anything I, and I suggest he does as well, will start a new thread so the news doesn't get lost in random chatter on this thread.

If that is OK with the mods ?

Agreed. Both GVHOT and I crosschecked Info and we will do the same again. Thanks to GVOT for initial heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Such a sad thing to see the plane being scrapped.

I spent a whole year working for BAA in Heathrow getting the stands and lobbies etc ready for these planes to land from a Construction perspective. When the first one landed and parked up I couldn't believe the size, even alongside the colossal the 747.

I've had the pleasure of flying in two of them long haul. Great plane with plenty of space and room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

If an Arab sheikh or whoever decided he wanted to buy the aircraft in the morning for a VIP transport would it be possible for this A380 to take off from Knock again? Would the runway be long enough for a take off? Or does a landing there in Knock seal it's fate?

Would be like when Qantas flew a 747 into Wollongong a few years ago on a one-way trip as a museum piece for the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society because it could never take off again without a lengthening of the runway.

theguzman wrote: »
    If an Arab sheikh or whoever decided he wanted to buy the aircraft in the morning for a VIP transport would it be possible for this A380 to take off from Knock again? Would the runway be long enough for a take off? Or does a landing there in Knock seal it's fate?

Would be like when Qantas flew a 747 into Wollongong a few years ago on a one-way trip as a museum piece for the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society because it could never take off again without a lengthening of the runway.

Absolutely. It would possibly have to be pushed back to the start of the runway rather than turn. But that runway would be long enough for an empty A380 to go a good distance.

Quite often heavily laden flying to Washington they would be able to depart Heathrow with 60 something percent power (thanks to Dave Wallsworths cockpit pics).

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

It would possibly have to be pushed back to the start of the runway rather than turn. But that runway would be long enough for an empty A380 to go a good distance.

Not necessarily, today’s was intended to roll to end of 26 and use the turnpad to self manoeuvre back to Bravo taxiway before towing in. However there crew interpreted this as stopping short of bravo it seems, then encountered a steering system warning after landing. Pilot attempted to reset the system several times and apologised to ATC for occupying the runway, not that it mattered at that stage (after schedule hours), and it was towed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Absolutely. It would possibly have to be pushed back to the start of the runway rather than turn. But that runway would be long enough for an empty A380 to go a good distance.

Quite often heavily laden flying to Washington they would be able to depart Heathrow with 60 something percent power (thanks to Dave Wallsworths cockpit pics).

Ya but Heathrow runways are very long, 09R/27L is 3.6 km long and 09L/27R is almost 4 km long. Wollongong runway is 1.8km long so very short by comparison. Take off at any kind of regular passenger load on a 380 from Wollongong is probably impossible.

https://youtu.be/Pwcbs6xbKUo

quick video from yesterday. :D

hope the link works!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

https://youtu.be/Pwcbs6xbKUo

quick video from yesterday. :D

hope the link works!!

Nice.
    503451.jpg

I did take some screenshots from the video but site won't let me attach as they are over 1mb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I did take some screenshots from the video but site won't let me attach as they are over 1mb :(

You could try resizing your screenshots here:

http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/

• Advertisement

some screenshots from video

four more :D

final 3 :D. these 3 and the last one in the previous post are from a phone, the rest were from a camcorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

Including blurry A320 at the same spot just for size comparison ...

Thanks for posting those pics. They're great. Wish I'd been there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

paddy19 wrote: »
    Take a look at the video of the scrappage process in the EirTrade hanger.

Sad end to an elegant Bird...

https://eirtradeaviation.com/asset-management/aircraft-storage-disassembly/

I wouldn’t give 2 of those mini diggers :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

tricky D wrote: »
    Flightfest 15 Sept 2013

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86530989

A380 from around post 66
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTyjGt7P4jg

video of the BA A380 down the Liffey

greenpilot wrote: »
    Any examples? I'm curious...

The Movements page is hilarious. Lots of spotters, at least half are quite young (but certainly enthusiastic)
    They all try to one up each other on their "insider info" which is often taking fro here or airliners.net.

Then there are the guys posting "why did FRxxx/EIxxx go around 2 mins ago?" when it is bowing a gale outside!

About 2 months ago I had a look at the Aerlingus summer schedule on their website. I posted it up here and within an hour someone on that page had copied and pasted my post as their own work on the Movements page. He didnt even try to change the writing in any way. Very lazy copying!!!

Seve OB wrote: »
    I wouldn’t give 2 of those mini diggers :D

Those mini diggers are like locusts attacking crops - like we saw on tv in Continental Africa last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭wetoutside19

Tenger wrote: »
    The Movements page is hilarious. Lots of spotters, at least half are quite young (but certainly enthusiastic)
    They all try to one up each other on their "insider info" which is often taking fro here or airliners.net.

Then there are the guys posting "why did FRxxx/EIxxx go around 2 mins ago?" when it is bowing a gale outside!

About 2 months ago I had a look at the Aerlingus summer schedule on their website. I posted it up here and within an hour someone on that page had copied and pasted my post as their own work on the Movements page. He didnt even try to change the writing in any way. Very lazy copying!!!

In fairness there is a wild amount of that going on here too, and some of it in the opposite direction of your example. Plenty of posters taking information from Facebook and posting it as “inside information”. Is this thread an example of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

greenpilot wrote: »
    Agreed. Both GVHOT and I crosschecked Info and we will do the same again. Thanks to GVOT for initial heads up.

Anyone remember the original thread that said an A380 was gonna do a fly past up along the liffey all the way back then? I cant remember who the original poster was but it was very similar to this thread, nobody believed it but he/she was right.

This forum has changed alot through the years for good and bad but im still logging in everyday for priceless info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

Comhra wrote: »
    Those mini diggers are like locusts attacking crops - like we saw on tv in Continental Africa last week.
    So much care taken with the engines and the rest basically devoured. I guess it's mostly scrap aluminium, so is not wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In fairness there is a wild amount of that going on here too, and some of it in the opposite direction of your example. Plenty of posters taking information from Facebook and posting it as “inside information”. Is this thread an example of this?

I think the information in this thread has been A1 from day one with 2 posters giving very accurate and up to date info.

Quite a difference between "I read online that x is going to happen next week" to "I have a reliable source in the industry who will give me info once it is confirmed"

The F16 flyover a few years ago was solid info that was very much kept out of the public arena.

Tenger wrote: »
    The F16 flyover a few years ago was solid info that was very much kept out of the public arena.

That was me as well. I got absolutely slaughtered by several posters on here, left a bitter taste for a few years I can tell you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That was me as well. I got absolutely slaughtered by several posters on here, left a bitter taste for a few years I can tell you.

Was that for the American Football game?

I remember driving past Lusk and seeing 2 F16’s flying in formation, and I thought it was the end of days!!!!

Was that for the American Football game?

I remember driving past Lusk and seeing 2 F16’s flying in formation, and I thought it was the end of days!!!!

The social media reaction was pretty funny.
    Remember the BMI pilot getting irate over the R/T because Dublin ATC wouldn't tell him why he was holding!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

How come its still showing on flight radar today somebody going to take it for a Saturday spin :) now that would be cool :)

Before somebody goes mad that’s a joke :) but the obviously have the transponder on for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is it still visible or is it in the hangar now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

irishgeo wrote: »
    Is it still visible or is it in the hangar now?

Think they would have to let a bit of air out of the tyres to say the least :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Parked on bravo...doing some tests on aircraft 2day,That's why it showing up on flightrador

Advertisement