Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

What a great few days. It was such a joy to see so many people arriving with excitement and, most importantly, amicably, to share in this unique experience.
    I'd like to thank my two Buddies in Germany, one of them an ex-school pal, who originally gave me the heads up two weeks ago and then subsequently shared multiple strands of Information to finally allow me to share the timing of the event with so many here, and on the Knock Runwayside Facebook page. Well done also to the Admins for not jumping the gun until we had absolute proof that it was a go today
    It was a fantastic opportunity to give to the many kids who arrived up to the bitterly cold hilltop to see, what was for many of them, their first landing of an aircraft so close to where they were standing.

There was no pushing, no hogging of positions, no selflessness and everyone arrived and left in an orderly fashion

Finally, this is the first of quite a few of these arrivals and as soon as I get wind of the next one, you will be the first to know.

Time to thaw out.

Over and Out

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Great that the skies ended up being so clear for the landing given what the weather has been like lately. Hopefully the rumours are true and a few more A380s will arrive in for scrappage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

tricky D wrote: »
    Flightfest 15 Sept 2013

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86530989

A380 from around post 66

Here is one I took on that day.

503383.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭wetoutside19

greenpilot wrote: »
    What a great few days. It was such a joy to see so many people arriving with excitement and, most importantly, amicably, to share in this unique experience.
    I'd like to thank my two Buddies in Germany, one of them an ex-school pal, who originally gave me the heads up two weeks ago and then subsequently shared multiple strands of Information to finally allow me to share the timing of the event with so many here, and on the Knock Runwayside Facebook page. Well done also to the Admins for not jumping the gun until we had absolute proof that it was a go today
    It was a fantastic opportunity to give to the many kids who arrived up to the bitterly cold hilltop to see, what was for many of them, their first landing of an aircraft so close to where they were standing.

There was no pushing, no hogging of positions, no selflessness and everyone arrived and left in an orderly fashion

Finally, this is the first of quite a few of these arrivals and as soon as I get wind of the next one, you will be the first to know.

Time to thaw out.

Over and Out

P.

Many thanks for the heads up, your inside information was invaluable.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Just out of interest what sort of mph would it roughly have hit the tarmac at?

106kts/122 mph according to FR24. I'm surprised it overran the exit for the ramp at that speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

A380 parked on bravo at knock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I'm happy to see the discussion on here is civil. I have been observing with disbelief the utter nonsense that has been taking place on the Dublin movements spotters group all afternoon, do people not realise we can see their names? Working in the industry I can say if any of them came in to me for an interview they'd be wasting more than just their time.

Here's to the next arrival and more civil chat on this forum hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

1123heavy wrote: »
    I'm happy to see the discussion on here is civil. I have been observing with disbelief the utter nonsense that has been taking place on the Dublin movements spotters group all afternoon, do people not realise we can see their names? Working in the industry I can say if any of them came in to me for an interview they'd be wasting more than just their time.

What are they on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

1123heavy wrote: »

Any examples? I'm curious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Take a look at the video of the scrappage process in the EirTrade hanger.

Sad end to an elegant Bird...

https://eirtradeaviation.com/asset-management/aircraft-storage-disassembly/

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    What are they on about?

That page is the wild west. I gave up on it a long time ago. Too many members and very light to no moderation so nearly every posts goes south quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

greenpilot wrote: »

Time to thaw out.

Over and Out

P.

Will you post any more updates in this thread? I'm only down the road from the airport but couldn't make it up in time today when I heard it was a go. Thanks for all the updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Screenshot-20200220-191101.jpg

Screenshot-20200220-191232.jpg

Screenshot-20200220-191221.jpg

Snapchat-1026174254.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Will you post any more updates in this thread? I'm only down the road from the airport but couldn't make it up in time today when I heard it was a go. Thanks for all the updates!

If either myself or Greenpilot hear anything I, and I suggest he does as well, will start a new thread so the news doesn't get lost in random chatter on this thread.

If that is OK with the mods ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

106kts/122 mph according to FR24. I'm surprised it overran the exit for the ramp at that speed.

Thanks very much. One more question and I'm done!!

What speed does a "normal" airplane touch down at?

*by normal I mean the 3 seats on each side that Ryanair etc use for London, Spain, France etc*

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

*by normal I mean the 3 seats on each side that Ryanair etc use for London, Spain, France etc*

Simular speed but maybe a little faster even, as they'd be loaded with passengers. Also the 380 has a very large wing, and a bigger wing creating more lift helps it fly slower on approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

If either myself or Greenpilot hear anything I, and I suggest he does as well, will start a new thread so the news doesn't get lost in random chatter on this thread.

If that is OK with the mods ?

Great if you could post here, or a link to a new thread, so those of us following will get a notification!

Varies on weight, flap setting used, company policies, weather condition.

Anywhere from mid 130’s to mid 150’s for a 737-800.

imfml wrote: »
    Great if you could post here, or a link to a new thread, so those of us following will get a notification!

Wilco.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

Thanks to all who posted information on this page. Would have been sitting in Knock for hours/days waiting without this page. May have been cold but the sun came out for her arrival. Putting together a video so will share it soon.

My video from today

https://youtu.be/13xd7KG1JhY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

You mean companies aren’t there to make commercially viable products that make profits and allow the company a chance to engineer future products?

"chance" is not a word accountants seem to like! :P

Apologies to any of money men reading. No offense intended!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

eastmayo wrote: »
    A380 parked on bravo at knock

This picture sums up how cool it is to me! Hopefully I'll get a chance to fly on one some day.

I was too young for the Concorde and would be too poor anyway! That would've been my number 1.

Next in line is the 747 and I've been on a few variants of that.

Then (assuming Michael O' Leary doesn't buy a few Antanovs) the A380 is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Great pics. I’m just 50odd km away from Knock for few days. Raging I missed this - would love to have seen it coming into land.

F-HPJD is next for Knock apparently. I’m yet to be convinced that the Qantas ones for for the chop. Air France have indicated they are getting shot of theirs Qantas have said they will be gone by 2029.

Air France is also taking a hit of €13m per aircraft to retire them early. All will be gone by 2022 so expect one per 3-4 months in to Knock. It isn’t a quick job stripping down an aircraft for spares. It’s quick breaking one up, but if you want to maximise the return you have to take your time pulling each part and doing the paperwork or it’s worth nothing and can’t be reused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

Thanks so much again for bringing this to our attention over a fortnight ago.

It was great craic over the last couple of weeks wondering would we/wouldn't we get a chance to see this. The drama and the anticipation was nearly as much fun as actually seeing it when it finally came :) ....

We were there today and I thought it was a really joyous occasion. Considering the enormous crowds, I thought it was a thoroughly communal experience, and I didn't hear a cross word uttered or a car horn beeped in anger.

Sad end for such a beautiful wonder of engineering, but a marvellous sight and experience for those of us fortunate enough to be present to witness its very final movements.

Advertisement