Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

rolion wrote: »
    The world is so small... and, you are the man that said was too dear for AF to keep them runing and said as well,felt like a funeral ! :(

Yes, small world indeed! :D

Nice to have met you!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jorry

In some of the pictures uploaded of this soon to be in pieces A380, it's tail rudder is well out of shape, is this a symptom of the reported broken steering?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

jorry wrote: »
    In some of the pictures uploaded of this soon to be in pieces A380, it's tail rudder is well out of shape, is this a symptom of the reported broken steering?
    The A380 has a split rudder and some of the photos show the two surfaces pointed in different directions, which kind of looks out of shape ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

plodder wrote: »
    The A380 has a split rudder and some of the photos show the two surfaces pointed in different directions, which kind of looks out of shape ....

And steering on the ground has nothing to do with the rudder...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Lurching wrote: »
    Would Eirtrade need to bring in type rated engineers for some or all of the component removal?

No. they'd probably have ordinary mechs to take parts off and one certifier to sign for the parts later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Question - nothing to do with this aircraft but are aircraft technicians generally certified to move a plane under it's own power?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@mickdw, no. They would need special training for run-up and also for taxi.

smurfjed wrote: »
    @mickdw, no. They would need special training for run-up and also for taxi.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Most airlines train experienced B1s to carry out ground runs at low power, for quick tests after changes to components of the fuel system and so on. High power ground runs are usually the preserve of supervisors. taxying an aircraft on the ground is usually the preserve of supervisors, depending on what the airline allows. In countries like America and canada, where many of the engineers have pilots licenses anyway, they routinely taxy aircraft and conduct ground running but they are operating on the privilieges of their pilot license. Airlines do it to stop having to pay pilots to come in at unsocial hours to run engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Went to pick up a plane from maintenance last week, the engineers were permitted to run the engines only with the door open, they needed crew to do engine runs with the door closed or along the runway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

smurfjed wrote: »
    Went to pick up a plane from maintenance last week, the engineers were permitted to run the engines only with the door open, they needed crew to do engine runs with the door closed or along the runway.

That wouldn't be the norm in my experience in a part 145 maint org. In all 145's where I've worked maintenance related EGR's are carried out by appropriately licenced and company approved Part 66 engineers only.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Nforce wrote: »

I believe the German Company AviationTag.com took the roof for 20,000 keyrings!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

rolion wrote: »

PS
    Drivign all the way there,my son was very agitated.
    He spends lots of time in the simulator and the A380 is one of his favorites planes.

Not sure how conversation began but ive been asked:
    He: Dad,how do the pilots goes back home ?
    Me: well,they will not go home at all.
    He:Why ?(

Reminded me a bit of when I was on Shannon to see the antonov 225 taking of a kid saying to his dad it was too big to take off and was going to crash.video here of it taking off with children thinking its engines where on fire https://youtu.be/E7JVnUYK4fg

I believe the German Company AviationTag.com took the roof for 20,000 keyrings!

At €28 a pop ..a nice investment by that company!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Hello everybody. :)

That was 21th of Feb I found out the news about that plane - pity so late, I'd film it flying over my place just before landing. :(

Spotted it first time on my way back home, from N17 between Curry and Charlestown - it's so big you can spot it 10 kms away! :eek:

0a-phm.jpg

Well, went to EIKN yesterday, few minutes drive from where I live.

1a-phm.jpg

2a-phm.jpg

3a-phm.jpg

4a-phm.jpg

5a-phm.jpg

6a-phm.jpg

7a-phm.jpg

8a-phm.jpg

9a-phm.jpg

Constant flow of cars over there - stopping, passengers going out to take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Is the A380 still in one piece in Knock or have they started ripping into it? Thinking of heading up for a look today.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

xtradel wrote: »
    Is the A380 still in one piece in Knock or have they started ripping into it? Thinking of heading up for a look today.

Still in one piece as of Sunday the 8th of March

https://youtu.be/TNYYGGUe9XE

Unregistered Users

Travelled on N5 just yesterday and saw it intact - however it was from quite a distance, but it looked fine. :)

Either way is worth looked at. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

masit wrote: »
    Still in one piece as of Sunday the 8th of March

https://youtu.be/TNYYGGUe9XE
    joujoujou wrote: »
    Travelled on N5 just yesterday and saw it intact - however it was from quite a distance, but it looked fine. :)

Either way is worth looked at. :cool:

Cheers for that, hoping the weather will dry out later and will take a spin up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

You’d want to do it in the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the fuselage would make an unreal living space!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    You’d want to do it in the next couple of days.

You know something?

Unregistered Users

Bring us some photos, please. :)

However, it won't dry out, I'm afraid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

hopeso wrote: »
    You know something?

Yes the weather is supposed to filthy this weekend.
    I know, you wanted something more juicy. :D

I guess one positive of the current virus is airlines will possibly be scrapping their A380s sooner than planned. So looks like we won't have to wait too long for three other? A380s to make their final journey to Knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,121 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I guess one positive of the current virus is airlines will possibly be scrapping their A380s sooner than planned.

:eek:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I guess one positive of the current virus is airlines will possibly be scrapping their A380s sooner than planned. So looks like we won't have to wait too long for three other? A380s to make their final journey to Knock.

Somehow I don't think that there'll be a huge demand for A380 spares when this all blows over.

Nforce wrote: »
    Somehow I don't think that there'll be a huge demand for A380 spares when this all blows over.

Well there will be alot of them still about so hard to know. Who is to say that flying to hubs isnt going to form a massive portion of the new air travel.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Sunday morning trip to EIKN, only to see how are things.

How the plane looks from a distance, this time N5 Charlestown bypass, near Swinford:

0ab-phm.jpg

and close-up:

1ab-phm.jpg

They probably decided to let some fresh air in:

2ab-phm.jpg

3ab-phm.jpg

Plane still intact (at least outside), some wrapping at the moment only:

4ab-phm.jpg

Some engines wrapped already:

5ab-phm.jpg

6ab-phm.jpg

7ab-phm.jpg