Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Options

Comments

Have they only go the inboard engines on - or why have the outboard thrust reversers not deployed?

Thats a design feature. No reverse on outboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Taken in portrait rather than landscape :rolleyes:

Folks videos should be taken in landscape, you wouldn't go to the cinema to watch a video taken in portrait.

Oh behave, its better than nothing:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Folks videos should be taken in landscape, you wouldn't go to the cinema to watch a video taken in portrait.

I'll let you try and educate an elderly man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

they cant turn it on the runway?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Either way the efforts are appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

Seriously though. Would you not need a specially designed tug to push or pull something that size? For some of the really heavy birds don't you need to actually get under the nose wheel and jack it up?

emo72 wrote: »
    they cant turn it on the runway?

Steering is fecked, they are waiting on a tug

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

that video from sean was like that one time, BA flew one up the liffey, that was brilliant.

plodder wrote: »
    Seriously though. Would you not need a specially designed tug to push or pull something that size? For some of the really heavy birds don't you need to actually get under the nose wheel and jack it up?

Its relatively light now though, the ATC could probably go out and push it (the last bit is a lie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

It's like the terrified aircraft is saying "I won't go into that scrapyard... You can't make me!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Rawr

I guess it's a good thing they let that IE flight out first. They'd be stuck otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

AF will have to accept slightly less for it now. The scrap man can't sell the steering unit! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Waste of great engineering

Waste of great engineering

I can see your point and I'm an engineer myself.

You could also argue though that if the engineering was better it would still be a going concern.

What one of my lecturers used to call the "art" of engineering!

A testament to what's possible to engineer all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Osborne wrote: »
    I'll let you try and educate an elderly man.

Tell him, his effort is much appreciated.

It's incredible to say that I saw video of an A388 on it's final flight, within seconds of it landing on a remote hill in Mayo - at an airport that was the subject of many a joke when I was a young lad. Mons Horan would be amazed and Jim Fahy must be too.

I still remember the RTE news interview with Jim and Mons Horan, flimed as diggers were cutting the top off the hill to make it level, on a windswept rain driven day - Jim shouts to him 'What's going on here Monsignor ? and he replied ... 'We're building an airport!'.

The world laughed... and yet for a few hours today, it was the focus of our attention..

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Tell him, his effort is much appreciated.

It's incredible to say that I saw video of an A388 on it's final flight, within seconds of it landing on a remote hill in Mayo - at an airport that was the subject of many a joke when I was a young lad. Mons Horan would be amazed and Jim Fahy must be too.

I still remember the RTE news interview with Jim and Mons Horan, flimed as diggers were cutting the top off the hill to make it level, on a windswept rain driven day - Jim shouts to him 'What's going on here Monsignor ? and he replied ... 'We're building an airport!'.

The world laughed... and yet for a few hours today, it was the focus of our attention..

I just hope he doesn't see the post where I call him elderly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

Seems to be turned around and on its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

I can see your point and I'm an engineer myself.

You could also argue though that if the engineering was better it would still be a going concern.

What one of my lecturers used to call the "art" of engineering!

A testament to what's possible to engineer all the same.

I don’t fault the engineering, more likely the economics sullied its future. That said, I’m no fan of travelling across the Atlantic on an A321LR.

Osborne wrote: »
    I just hope he doesn't see the post where I call him elderly :D

Apologies no offence meant.

• Advertisement

I don’t fault the engineering, more likely the economics sullied its future. That said, I’m no fan of travelling across the Atlantic on an A321LR.

Sadly satisfying the bean counters is a huge part of engineering!

You design something lovely and then you have to redesign something "good enough" for half the price!

I'm not involved in this field at all so I'm only talking in generalities and I definitely wouldn't in any way want to detract from the magnificent feat of getting something that great flying - without know anything about the technicalities it seems like amazing engineering design and implementation.

Edited to add: Is the A321LR essentially the budget "good enough" replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Glad to have caught sight of it. Made with with a min to spare with my daughters.
    Parked on the main road and it was about 100m away from being under the flight path.

It went so slow across the sky in front of us, you'd be forgiven for not understanding how it was able to say in the air.
    Went up to the airport after to see if we could see any more if it but the place wedged with cars and onlookers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭wetoutside19

Sadly satisfying the bean counters is a huge part of engineering

You mean companies aren’t there to make commercially viable products that make profits and allow the company a chance to engineer future products?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

emo72 wrote: »
    that video from sean was like that one time, BA flew one up the liffey, that was brilliant.

I was living in Smithfield at the time and I had no idea that the air show was on. All I was hearing was this constant racket. Took me ages to get my hungover ass to the window and I just saw all these planes flying right above my building. Ended up on the roof for a bit. Incredible day.

Then the A380 flew down the Liffey...

Apologies no offence meant.

Ah stop! All good. He'll know for the next time ha!

Sadly satisfying the bean counters is a huge part of engineering!

You design something lovely and then you have to redesign something "good enough" for half the price!

I'm not involved in this field at all so I'm only talking in generalities and I definitely wouldn't in any way want to detract from the magnificent feat of getting something that great flying - without know anything about the technicalities it seems like amazing engineering design and implementation.

Edited to add: Is the A321LR essentially the budget "good enough" replacement?

It's a collection of reasons. Customer convenience point-to-point, better fuel efficiency, more profitable and less risky economically ......picture accountants fretting over how to put bums on all those A380 seats. It never delivered on the fuel economy promised, launched late and in a market that was feeling pressure.

bunderoon wrote: »
    Glad to have caught sight of it. Made with with a min to spare with my daughters.
    Parked on the main road and it was about 100m away from being under the flight path.

It went so slow across the sky in front of us, you'd be forgiven for not understanding how it was able to say in the air.
    Went up to the airport after to see if we could see any more if it but the place wedged with cars and onlookers.

Great that you saw it landing in all its magnificence. It must have been quite a sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Found a video on youtube. No audio unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Thanks to everyone here who kept us all informed and for pictures and videos.

What a magnificent looking machine. It looked like it was travelling at next to no speed when it landed and stopped very quickly.

Just out of interest what sort of mph would it roughly have hit the tarmac at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I was living in Smithfield at the time and I had no idea that the air show was on. All I was hearing was this constant racket. Took me ages to get my hungover ass to the window and I just saw all these planes flying right above my building. Ended up on the roof for a bit. Incredible day.

Then the A380 flew down the Liffey...
    Flightfest 15 Sept 2013

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86530989

A380 from around post 66

Advertisement