Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

mickdw wrote: »
    It's pretty dodgy that after having specified repairs carried out
    In north that the cracks kept growing. Typically such a repair - welding and plating would be massively over designed. Seems like they attempted a substandard repair possibly due to location / limited space due to moving parts etc.
    With cracks visible in so many up north, surely they should have been actively installing new lifts.

Is there only one company making these lifts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

cruizer101 wrote: »
    You didn't have to take the morning off work, that was your choice. NCT's can be booked well in advance and are open plenty of time outside of working hours.
    Its an inconvenience yes but nobody is being forced to take time off work because of this situation.

I've was trying to get an appointment for a while and wasn't able to get any at anytime so had to go on the waiting list. Which suggests to me you have to book 3-4 months in advance for this time of year. I think it was the same last year.

I can only expect that this crisis will make the queues even longer once it starts having an effect.

So book early...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

beauf wrote: »
    I've was trying to get an appointment for a while and wasn't able to get any at anytime so had to go on the waiting list. Which suggests to me you have to book 3-4 months in advance for this time of year. I think it was the same last year.

I can only expect that this crisis will make the queues even longer once it starts having an effect.

So book early...

I’m a bit surprised at that. Or am I just lucky? I only realised that my NCT was up at the end of Feb so went online a week ago to book a test. I was given the option of at least 3 different centres and quite a few dates, which included a Saturday too. I had no problem opting for a date and test centre that suited me.

I’ve followed this thread and Ok, so it’s an inconvenience to do an NCT in two parts for a lot of people, but I’d say it’s a nightmare for the NCT centres and taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

coffeepls wrote: »
    I’m a bit surprised at that. Or am I just lucky? I only realised that my NCT was up at the end of Feb so went online a week ago to book a test. I was given the option of at least 3 different centres and quite a few dates, which included a Saturday too. I had no problem opting for a date and test centre that suited me.

I’ve followed this thread and Ok, so it’s an inconvenience to do an NCT in two parts for a lot of people, but I’d say it’s a nightmare for the NCT centres and taxis.

Following the thread, and the comments on social media, it’s clear everyone in the country’s nct is due now, and they all work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week all year long. Plus no one would dare chance driving without a test even if the place was fully functioning.

Following the thread, and the comments on social media, it’s clear everyone in the country’s nct is due now, and they all work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week all year long. Plus no one would dare chance driving without a test even if the place was fully functioning.

NCT actually operate 24/7 they just don't tell anyone.

I guess they have a priority waiting list not because they run out of slots, but purely for the entertainment if staff and customers it's a great laugh.

People pretend to be busy so people don't realise they have actually have no life and can pretty much go to the NCT at anytime really.

• Advertisement

coffeepls wrote: »

No idea, Maybe the Jan/Feb rush is over when you went looking.

If demand is an issue...

They could redesign the system to level demand. They could even stagger the dates of when it's due to move people out of the busy periods.

They could even build a couple of new stations.

I'm pretty flexible with when I can do it. But I do avoid some centers which are badly neglected, dirty, long delays (once it took 1.30 hrs) and where I seem to get dubious, marginal failures more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jsman11

I was just able to book my retest for 13.30 today after it being cancelled on Thursday because they need the lift. Not sure if I go up and I will be able to do it but I'll keep yous posted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

sligojoek wrote: »
    Is there only one company making these lifts?

I just had work done on my car (nct next week) and was chatting to the mechanic and it seems that maha are the only company that could provide the lifts and technology and the back-up required at present in the Irish market as the market is just too small for a competitor to supply the same level of service.

The also won the tender for replacing the lifts as they hit 10 years. All affected ramps are over 8 years old. The newer model has not had any defects showing.

Most NI lifts were over 8 years old. Most lifts here are under 8 years old.

Maha are a german company and one of the world leaders in this area and it seems this issue is to do with just one model, but all models are being checked as a precaution and some are already back in service.

There was no option but to immediately suspend use as independent safety office forced the immediate stopping of use in NI about 10 days ago - with that knowledge the nct would have faced criminal proceedings if a lift failed and hurt someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Never heard of 3-4 months waiting time for NCT, which area of the country is that???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

I posted earlier in the thread about having my 2 confirmed bookings for a retest subsequently cancelled. The cancellation was via the following text (I didn't receive any supporting email):

"Sorry we must cancel your NCT retest which will be conducted free at a later date Please check the website for updates NCT apologise for any inconvenience"

As all of the guidance appears to be to continue to book and turn up for the NCT which will continue to be carried out for all non-lift required testing I queried this with the NCTS and received the following response:

I can confirm the text message you have received is correct. Unfortunately, at this time, we are unable to conduct the lift inspection, and I would request you do not attend the centre for your appointment.

The condition survey currently being undertaken will determine the full extent of the issue and what remedial action is required to reinstate the lift. Unfortunately, at this time I am unable to advise when this matter will be rectified, however, I can confirm our website will be updated regularly with any information.

So, if you receive the text I referred to above it looks like you're just going to have to wait before you can get a confirmed retest booking and will need to keep an eye on the website (and this thread!) as to when this will be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭honda boi

Jsman11 wrote: »
    I was just able to book my retest for 13.30 today after it being cancelled on Thursday because they need the lift. Not sure if I go up and I will be able to do it but I'll keep yous posted

Were you able to be tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭KrakityJones

scarepanda wrote: »
    Are the lifts on these centres working as normal? I've a test booked for the end of Feb in one of these centres. I'm not worried about the guards, but I am about insurance. NCT is out first week of march with insurance due 10 days after.

Can confirm Ballinasloe is fully up and running got mine done and passed in full this morning.

wonski wrote: »
    Never heard of 3-4 months waiting time for NCT, which area of the country is that???

I think you are referring to my comment which in fairness was a bit vague. I was referring to booking early so you get a time that suits you, at this time of year.

I was trying about 6-7 weeks out. It was showing none in Feb for Dublin. In fairness to the NCT they got me a date about 5 days later. Had to reschedule that and got another in about another 4 days later.

I booked another vehicle back in autumn and it was tricky enough getting a civilized time and location then. I got one though in good time.

beauf wrote: »
    I think you are referring to my comment which in fairness was a bit vague. I was referring to booking early so you get a time that suits you, at this time of year.

I was trying about 6-7 weeks out. It was showing none in Feb for Dublin. In fairness to the NCT they got me a date about 5 days later. Had to reschedule that and got another in about another 4 days later.

I booked another vehicle back in autumn and it was tricky enough getting a civilized time and location then. I got one though in good time.

That makes more sense.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jsman11

honda boi wrote: »
    Were you able to be tested?

No I got a new cert that was stamped test incomplete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Jsman11 wrote: »
    No I got a new cert that was stamped test incomplete.

Was that a cert and disc or just a test report?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Deansgrange (South Dublin)
    Ballinasloe
    Athlone
    Skibbereen
    Ballina
    Enniscorthy

Lifts working in these places

Not much of a pattern, I wonder if it's just a van team going around country to ensure good coverage.

I'm booked in 3 months early for next Saturday in Northpoint M50. I don't think it'll be rectified by then. Luckily not trying to sell car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

According to ncts.ie the 'working' lifts are only being used for Taxis and people whose driving test is due shortly.

Apart from Deansgrange there can't be too much demand for either.

It's hard to see how a few slightly more remote Centres can have their Lifts declared safe unless the lift inspectors have borrowed a fairly dodgy helicopter :confused:

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    According to ncts.ie the 'working' lifts are only being used for Taxis and people whose driving test is due shortly.

Apart from Deansgrange there can't be too much demand for either.

It's hard to see how a few slightly more remote Centres can have their Lifts declared safe unless the lift inspectors have borrowed a fairly dodgy helicopter :confused:

From where?

Surely the inspector might have been available close to those centres or the company decided to send them to different centres to get more coverage.

You don't need helicopter to get to those places either. Ireland is not US or Russia, not even close.

This is getting silly at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

Retest booked for this morning was cancelled by text 2 days ago (assume as it need lift), re-booked yesterday for same time same center, got the full cert this morning. :) One of the failure items did need the lift (sticking brake caliper) but no lift test was done - thats the NCT for you, depends on who you get on they day, being nice to them and have clean car helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

wonski wrote: »
    From where?

Surely the inspector might have been available close to those centres or the company decided to send them to different centres to get more coverage.

You don't need helicopter to get to those places either. Ireland is not US or Russia, not even close.

This is getting silly at that stage.
    If they want to get things back to normal for as many customers as possible then surely the obvious solution is to start with the larger Cities first.

edit: Seeing as they are only testing Taxis and looming driving tests then the larger city option makes even more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is there a chance the working lifts are of a different model \ brand new and therefore not at risk of the same fault?
    That could account for the randomness.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭greasepalm

All ramps normally have a date when made which shows how old they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Is there a chance the working lifts are of a different model \ brand new and therefore not at risk of the same fault?
    That could account for the randomness.

yes that is correct. There are two models. But to be safe, every lift has to be inspected and passed.

dunno when the new model started being installed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭shnaek

Blarney in Cork is still down. I had my test done this morning but have to go back for the lift. It was news to me -they said it was all over the TV and radio, but who watches TV or listens to the radio these days? He said the Gardai are accepting the NCT notice so there won't be penalty points or anything. I asked if I'd get a mail when they were back in action but he just said it will be on the news. So like others here have suggested I guess I'll keep checking the NCT website as I'll be f**ked if I'm going to watch the news :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

shnaek wrote: »
    I asked if I'd get a mail when they were back in action but he just said it will be on the news.

Again, the onus is always on the customer. Was in Fonthill the other day and the car lifts were gone, the customer lift was out of action and the tannoy system was on the blink! The was a notice for customers to watch the progress of their car and call to the advisory desk when the testing was complete, again the customer had to make ALL the effort. Some service!

Maybe this was posted before but they seem to be allowing 2 months for the retest. I tested a car in the 31st of January and the website now says I have untill the 30th of march to get the retest done.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Maybe this was posted before but they seem to be allowing 2 months for the retest. I tested a car in the 31st of January and the website now says I have untill the 30th of march to get the retest done.

That's right. I was looking into booking a re-test myself after my incomplete one on the 29th of January, just in case lift inspections are resumed in the coming week or so. Saw that I have until the 29th of March to get it done. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Just saw this on AXA's website -
    We are aware of the of the ongoing issues at NCT test centres and that our customers may be concerned about their insurance cover. We can confirm that until this situation is resolved, AXA will cover any claims provided all other policy conditions are met. We advise all our customers to continue to book your NCT test when due, keep records of your recent car services and attend your NCT appointments.

Advertisement