Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options
  • 29-01-2020 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭

NCTS have made the decision to discontinue the use of vehicle inspection lifts across the NCTS network with immediate effect until a full condition survey of all lifts is completed. NCTS were recently made aware of a defect with a similar make and model of MAHA lift. Following that information, condition surveys have been instigated. All customers should continue to book and turn up for their NCT as normal. The test will be completed with the omission of the underbody inspection, which will be conducted at a later date when the lifts are returned to use. Customers will incur no additional costs as part of this process. Our priority at this point and time is for the safety of our staff and our customer’s property. We do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

Must be using the same type of lifts as they do in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Donutz wrote: »
    Must be using the same type of lifts as they do in the north.

Yep, MAHA ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What was the defect found?

Is there a risk of failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just got this off facey.

Hard to make this up.

What was the defect found?

Is there a risk of failure?

Cracks in the lifts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

every used car dealer in the country has just booked every heap of under rusted sh*te in to be done next week.

every used car dealer in the country has just booked every heap of under rusted sh*te in to be done next week.

Stage 1&2 can be completed and the cars will have to return to do stage 3(as a free retest) when new lifts have been fitted.

So that plan wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

michellie wrote: »
    Stage 1&2 can be completed and the cars will have to return to do stage 3(as a free retest) when new lifts have been fitted.

So that plan wouldn't work.

I can confirm that. Sitting outside the NCT centre at the moment. My car just finished the test and passed everything, but the lift inspection wasn't done. So I have to return at a later date for that.

No idea if I'll be contacted or if I have to keep checking their website and make a booking myself.

Just check the website Zepman, it will also be in the media. Its a huge job so I'm guessing it may take some time to replace them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Have NCT booked for this weekend on a car that's in test for the next 2 months.
    Wonder if they'll give an option to defer until all can be done at once. Doesn't make any sense to me going twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Avns1s wrote: »
    Have NCT booked for this weekend on a car that's in test for the next 2 months.
    Wonder if they'll give an option to defer until all can be done at once. Doesn't make any sense to me going twice.

Nct passed this morning including the use of lift in dublin. could be a while before they certify or replace all existing lifts.

michellie wrote: »
    Just check the website Zepman, it will also be in the media. Its a huge job so I'm guessing it may take some time to replace them all.

Yeah that's what the tester told me to do. I'll be bookmarking the website and checking it every few hours, everyday. :D

So this just means I let the old disc stay on the windshield even after it expires (in about 10 days) and also keep the current "fail" certificate in the glove box at all times?

I already had problems booking the NCT in the first place with my car reg showing up as "scrapped" in their system. Took a couple of days to sort that out.
    Now this. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45 reach for the stars

Are they going to compensate people for the time , fuel and trouble of having to attend twice because of their faulty lifts.

Nct passed this morning including the use of lift in dublin. could be a while before they certify or replace all existing lifts.

Mine was in Dublin too half an hour ago. The tester told me they stopped using the lift just around 5pm. Darned luck. :(

Are they going to compensate people for the time , fuel and trouble of having to attend twice because of their faulty lifts.

Contact them and ask I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

Obviously the answer to this is no

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Had a re test today at 535 check in at 530 all grand then called out at 535 and told lift was broke and I would have to rebook...... ballymun2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This won't be good for the trade.

Hard to sell a car with a half NCT.

Will also affect re-tests due from failures over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,242 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ffs, next insurers won't cover you or will load you for this worthless half completed test result, joke of a country that they are allowed do this. Surely their own machinery is subject to annual inspection to detect faults. Their current contract is up in July 2020. The 10 year contract is worth €700 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Ffs, next insurers won't cover you or will load you for this worthless half completed test result, joke of a country that they are allowed do this. Surely their own machinery is subject to annual inspection to detect faults. Their current contract is up in July 2020. The 10 year contract is worth €700 million.

What do you propose they do about a lift with structural defects?? Would you go in under a jeep on a lift with cracks in it??

• Advertisement
    M

What do you propose they do about a lift with structural defects?? Would you go in under a jeep on a lift with cracks in it??

Exempt everyone who presents at the NCT until a time when they have their lifts sorted and fine Applus 20% of this years contract for incompetence in not inspecting their own machinery and maintaining a safe workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Surely their own machinery is subject to annual inspection to detect faults.

I believe these lifts crack from the inside out, so it isn't noticed until it's in a dangerous state.

Interesting if it is the MAHA scissors lifts as plenty of private workshops with NCT bays use the same equipment. This could extend to half the industry and not just NCT's.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,833 ✭✭✭✭unkel

They've had these lifts for years and a million cars have been up them. Without incident. Could they not have investigated a bit further before shutting them all down?

M

Liveline will have enough material until March.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

joke of a country that they are allowed do this.

What an absolute Karen of a reaction. The news is less than 4 hours old, but we live in a joke of a country, the reaction is a tad dramatic and hysterical. I'm sure somebody somewhere is working on a plan, but an immediate action is needed for health and safety purposes. It may suck, but it happens.

Any word on the DOE? Is it affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

Just got a text that my retest appointment for this evening cancelled! God knows when they'll be back testing.
    So if I get stopped next week with out of date NCT could I get points!?

So what do you think should happen? Allow staff to work with dangerous equipment while they replace them? Lucky it was spotted before someone was injured or killed under one. And god forbid someone's car was destroyed because there would be another thread abusing the NCT

M

delly wrote: »
    What an absolute Karen of a reaction. The news is less than 4 hours old, but we live in a joke of a country, the reaction is a tad dramatic and hysterical. I'm sure somebody somewhere is working on a plan, but an immediate action is needed for health and safety purposes. It may suck, but it happens.

I suppose it's only a €700million contract, the terms and conditions are probably wrote on the back of a pack of smokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Really glad I got my retest done on Monday :pac:

Advertisement