Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Joe never stood in an NCT centre in his life he thought there was a pit in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

jimbooth wrote: »
    Ring the booking line, I just got mine back in for Feb 12

I just rang them about booking a retest and because I need lift said to ring back next Tues/Wed to make booking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

dkd21 wrote: »
    Every bulletin board or news site is strewn with emotional huff and guff comments about this topic . It looks to me they are trying to reduce the chances of a backlog (double the full test numbers) in the coming month(s) by allowing what possible parts of the full test to be carried out . Up North there is uproar about the complete cancellations of tests and they are looking into a backlog situation in the next coming months which will bring major complications... Seems as though you just cannot please the general public in instances like this and people throw logic out the window and become emotional wrecks.. I guess its part of this day and age

This mess isn't the fault of the "general public". It's the fault of the useless incompetent management of the NCT crowd who aren't up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It’s the insurance and law regarding driving that is concerning.

The t&cs on insurance state that you must have a valid nct.<snip>

Only with some Insurers. Others just insist that the vehicle must be roadworthy (but they will specify, if asked, that this does not include a current NCT).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Forking joke! Gov are insisting on car road worthiness but neglected to insist that the NCT test equipment be maintained. Very Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just watching Conor Faughnan of the AA on the news.

Basically just suck it up folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

As customers, can we now insist on the production of an inspection report for the lifts, before they put our precious cars on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Yesterday afternoon I booked a car in for a re-test on Feb 7. The lift issue later came to light and I subsequently received the following text:

"Sorry we must cancel your NCT retest which will be conducted free at a later date Please check the website for updates NCT apologise for any inconvenience"
    Note: That's verbatim, not my punctuation ;)

After listening to the news and various people who were interviewed about this, and also checking the NCT website, the general message was to still turn up and do the test regardless. There was no mention of anything different with regard to retests so today I went ahead and rebooked the retest for the exact same time and date as I did previously. Then this evening I received the same text cancelling my retest again!

So, it looks as the arrangements for retests is different. Anyone else experience similar? I'm going to contact the NCT for clarity and will post back here when I get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Had NCT booked for Saturday 8th in Enniscorthy. Just got the following text:

Sorry we must cancel your NCT test which will be conducted free at a later date Please check the website for updates NCT apologise for any inconvenience

No more info regarding insurance or garda checks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

jordata wrote: »
    Had NCT booked for Saturday 8th in Enniscorthy. Just got the following text:

Sorry we must cancel your NCT test which will be conducted free at a later date Please check the website for updates NCT apologise for any inconvenience

No more info regarding insurance or garda checks

Full NCT or a retest?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

wonski wrote: »
    Thread on the tires is measured before going up or when it is up, depends on the tester.

They do not have to use the lift to measure it so not sure what's your point.

When the cars were tested on the lift it was money rocket blah blah, now the cars can't be fully tested (for two days so far) and everyone is worried about their safety and safety of the kids.

Death traps everywhere lol.

Any test I've brought a car for, they only looked at them on the lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

I booked a retest this morning. It will need an underbody lift. They gave me an appointment for Feb 17th ( I presumed they were giving themselves 2 weeks) Now I've got a text to say my test has been cancelled. The re test
    needed to take place by Feb 20th. Anyone get anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Taxi's in trouble too...
    The National Transport Authority has said it cannot lawfully issue new taxi licenses to drivers of vehicles that do not have a valid NCT.

It means that taxi drivers whose licenses are due to expire shortly and need to get their car tested as part of the renewal process, may not be able to renew their licence until problems with lifts in NCT centres are resolved.

According to the NTA around 100 vehicles nationwide may be impacted by the issue over the next two weeks.

"NTA is not lawfully in a position to grant a vehicle licence without proof of a valid NCT Certificate dated within 90 days of inspection," a spokesperson for the authority said tonight.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0130/1112052-nct-taxi-drivers/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Yes - I posted this in the "NCT discontinue lift inspections...." thread earlier:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058049771&page=11

Yesterday afternoon I booked a car in for a re-test on Feb 7. The lift issue later came to light and I subsequently received the following text:

"Sorry we must cancel your NCT retest which will be conducted free at a later date Please check the website for updates NCT apologise for any inconvenience"
    Note: That's verbatim, not my punctuation

After listening to the news and various people who were interviewed about this, and also checking the NCT website, the general message was to still turn up and do the test regardless. There was no mention of anything different with regard to retests so today I went ahead and rebooked the retest for the exact same time and date as I did previously. Then this evening I received the same text cancelling my retest again!

So, it looks as the arrangements for retests is different. Anyone else experience similar? I'm going to contact the NCT for clarity and will post back here when I get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Update from the NCT website https://www.ncts.ie/1115.
    NCTS can confirm that a small number of lift inspections have recommenced on a restricted basis.
    We are advised that the insurance industry will take a pragmatic view for policyholders and not penalise them for not having a valid NCT.
    ... motorists are being advised to keep a copy of their Vehicle Inspection Report with them in order to present it to a member of An Garda Síochána if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭jmreire

For a retest maybe ( rust, for example) they will put it on the lift to see if the repair's have been done, But for brakes, suspension#s etc, it will have to go on the lift and be connected to the equipment. It it was light's not working, they will just check it on the ground......no lift needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

For convenience and probably just routine task done daily as they can check condition of the whole tire, but thread depth can be checked on the ground. No lift needed for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

jmreire wrote: »
    For a retest maybe ( rust, for example) they will put it on the lift to see if the repair's have been done, But for brakes, suspension#s etc, it will have to go on the lift and be connected to the equipment. It it was light's not working, they will just check it on the ground......no lift needed.

He's only referring to Tyres....nothing else :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

zepman wrote: »
    Update from the NCT website https://www.ncts.ie/1115.

Quote:
    NCTS can confirm that a small number of lift inspections have recommenced on a restricted basis.

Quote:
    We are advised that the insurance industry will take a pragmatic view for policyholders and not penalise them for not having a valid NCT.

Quote:
    ... motorists are being advised to keep a copy of their Vehicle Inspection Report with them in order to present it to a member of An Garda Síochána if required.

All very well but unless insurance contracts which currently require a valid NCT as a condition of cover are amended to remove this requirement these are just weasel words. If there was a multi million euro claim against a policy on a car which didn't have a current NCT we might find the true meaning of pragmatic. Some industry representative has no authority to unilaterally rewrite motor policies for all insurance companies in the motor insurance industry.

Similarly with the legal requirement to display a valid NCT disc, have and produce a valid NCT certificate on request. Unless there is amending legislation it is still a legal requirement. The RSA has no authority to declare that a blind eye will be turned to the law or that if you have a partial inspection report you'll be grand.

We've now seen that approx. 50 taxi drivers per week will not be able to renew their suitability test + licence without a valid NCT as the licencing authority cannot legally issue a licence without a valid NCT.

A situation where contractual requirements and/or the law can be ignored except where it can't, is unacceptably ambiguous.

The simplest solution is to issue a temporary NCT certificate and disc for vehicles which have passed all parts of the NCT not requiring the use of the lift. This should be issued to cover the expected duration of the lift problem and extended if the problem takes longer than expected to resolve. Anything less is a fudge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

How do you detect a hairline crack in steel before it appears??

Cracks are an issue in most stressed metal structures, aircraft bodies, rail wheels, etc. Usually they are not dangerous, if below a certain size, and if they do not grow, bearing in mind the level of stress that the component is subjected to. Most car lifts are massively over engineered, I can only surmise that the NCT are playing it safe, given the claims culture prevalent these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

Cracks are an issue in most stressed metal structures, aircraft bodies, rail wheels, etc. Usually they are not dangerous, if below a certain size, and if they do not grow, bearing in mind the level of stress that the component is subjected to.

Most car lifts are massively over engineered, I can only surmise that the NCT are playing it safe, given the claims culture prevalent these days.

Fatigue is the reason that they appear to be over engineered. I'm using example figures here, and forgetting the effects of bad design creating stress concentration points.

Say the component is 100 times as strong as it needs to be, then fatigue basically not of concern until millions of stress cycles.

But if the component is only twice as strong as it need to be, then fatigue can set in after hundreds of cycles.

I'm happy to use DIY level wheel ramps when changing oil, since I only use them a few times a year, but I doubt they'd last more than few months in a working garage. (I always back up with axle stands of course.)

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    He's only referring to Tyres....nothing else :).

"Any test I've brought a car for, they only looked at them on the lift."
    And this is the sentence I was replying to, mgbgt1978.....nothing else.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

jmreire wrote: »
    "Any test I've brought a car for, they only looked at them on the lift."
    And this is the sentence I was replying to, mgbgt1978.....nothing else.:rolleyes:

By "them" he meant tires as he was responding to my earlier post about thread depth checks ;)

wonski wrote: »
    By "them" he meant tires as he was responding to my earlier post about thread depth checks ;)

Ah, I did not see that post. All I have ever seen them check without having to put the vehicle on the lift were the lights, but I guess if it failed it on tyres, then that could be checked on the ground too. Costs €28 if it has to go on the lift for a retest.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

I have test next week, disc out a few days later! I've to take the morning off work, unpaid and I won't even be getting the NCT cert.. expecting people to go twice is a bit much. Surely a grace period would be a simple solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

yes just got the same text, was a re-test for emissions and sticking brake caliper booked this weekend, both sorted now. This is completely at odds with what is stated in the media about "go to your test anyway" and get a report which states "lift inspection not completed".

plus when booking I did not ask to be contacted by text, I selected email, but no email. i dont use that mobile much, phone is off most of the time, so just lucky i saw it.

every poor, will be complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

two versions on their web site, very confusing

the banner site states (they could take that down at anytime what back up would i have for a garda?)

"NCTS have made the decision to discontinue the use of vehicle inspection lifts across the NCTS network with immediate effect until a full condition survey of all lifts is completed. NCTS were recently made aware of a defect with a similar make and model of MAHA lift. Following that information, condition surveys have been instigated. All customers should continue to book and turn up for their NCT as normal unless they have been contacted by NCTS. The test will be completed with the omission of the underbody inspection, which will be conducted at a later date when the lifts are returned to use. Customers will incur no additional fees as part of this process. Our priority at this point and time is for the safety of our staff and our customer’s property. We do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

but if you click on more information the news states

"Update 30th January 2020

NCTS are urging all customers to continue to book and turn up for their NCT as normal. The test will be completed with the omission of the underbody inspection, which will be conducted at a later date when the lifts are returned fully to use. NCTS can confirm that a small number of lift inspections have recommenced on a restricted basis.

Customers should note if a vehicle passes on lights, emissions, upper body exterior, vehicle interior, brakes, suspension and wheel alignment they will receive a vehicle inspection report stating “No Lift Inspection Done” resulting in a fail result. This no way implies the vehicle has failed on the items tested it just addresses the fact that no lift inspection was carried out. A certificate will be issued when all testable items have been successfully completed.

All vehicle owners are reminded that the roadworthiness of their vehicle is their responsibility at all times. In addition, motorists are being advised to keep a copy of their Vehicle Inspection Report with them in order to present it to a member of An Garda Síochána if required.

Further updates will be provided over the coming days
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

fed_u wrote: »
    I have test next week, disc out a few days later! I've to take the morning off work, unpaid and I won't even be getting the NCT cert.. expecting people to go twice is a bit much. Surely a grace period would be a simple solution?

You didn't have to take the morning off work, that was your choice. NCT's can be booked well in advance and are open plenty of time outside of working hours.
    Its an inconvenience yes but nobody is being forced to take time off work because of this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

scannerd wrote: »
    two versions on their web site, very confusing

the banner site states (they could take that down at anytime what back up would i have for a garda?)

"NCTS have made the decision to discontinue the use of vehicle inspection lifts across the NCTS network with immediate effect until a full condition survey of all lifts is completed. NCTS were recently made aware of a defect with a similar make and model of MAHA lift. Following that information, condition surveys have been instigated. All customers should continue to book and turn up for their NCT as normal unless they have been contacted by NCTS. The test will be completed with the omission of the underbody inspection, which will be conducted at a later date when the lifts are returned to use. Customers will incur no additional fees as part of this process. Our priority at this point and time is for the safety of our staff and our customer’s property. We do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

but if you click on more information the news states

"Update 30th January 2020

NCTS are urging all customers to continue to book and turn up for their NCT as normal. The test will be completed with the omission of the underbody inspection, which will be conducted at a later date when the lifts are returned fully to use. NCTS can confirm that a small number of lift inspections have recommenced on a restricted basis.

Customers should note if a vehicle passes on lights, emissions, upper body exterior, vehicle interior, brakes, suspension and wheel alignment they will receive a vehicle inspection report stating “No Lift Inspection Done” resulting in a fail result. This no way implies the vehicle has failed on the items tested it just addresses the fact that no lift inspection was carried out. A certificate will be issued when all testable items have been successfully completed.

All vehicle owners are reminded that the roadworthiness of their vehicle is their responsibility at all times. In addition, motorists are being advised to keep a copy of their Vehicle Inspection Report with them in order to present it to a member of An Garda Síochána if required.

Further updates will be provided over the coming days
    "

I checked my email expecting more details too, as the booking confirmation went there.

I might call them in Monday if there's no more updates

Advertisement