Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Wibbs wrote: »
    Hardly a shock F, We are talking of Shane Ross here, an educated beyond his meagre capabilities stuffed shirt, who has demonstrated a staggering ignorance on matters of transport, and in areas where he pretends expertise has provided a long list of public pronouncements that were embarrassingly wrong headed. AKA a thundering gobshite. One can only hope he doesn't get within an asses roar of political power again.
    No doubt he will be replaced by an even bigger ignorant gobsh!te. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Emmersonn wrote: »
    No doubt he will be replaced by an even bigger ignorant gobsh!te. :eek:

Heres hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jsman11

beauf wrote: »
    Where are you getting this info?

Off the nct website under news
    https://www.ncts.ie/1115

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭moonage

Eireann81 wrote: »
    Note that they have edited yesterday's update and removed the bit about the lift locations being used for "those due for their NCT retest"

"Lifts at these locations will be used primarily for those drivers who are due to undergo a Driving Test and NCT Taxi roadworthiness test."

Strange. What has doing a driving test to do with the NCT?

So they won't have enough lifts at these centres to cater for the vast majority of tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

If you go for a test your car has to have an up to date NCT.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Hardly a shock F, We are talking of Shane Ross here, an educated beyond his meagre capabilities stuffed shirt, who has demonstrated a staggering ignorance on matters of transport, and in areas where he pretends expertise has provided a long list of public pronouncements that were embarrassingly wrong headed. AKA a thundering gobshite. One can only hope he doesn't get within an asses roar of political power again.

AFAIK, and I'm open to correction here, but once the election is called and until after the results come out, the ministers are essentially 'sacked' and are barred from making / doing anything related to the position. We essentially have no minister for Transport until early next week.

Again, not 100% sure, but that was my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    So the usual then? :pac:

Well they were able to bail-out FAI an few days ago...

I be surprised if anyone can be asked by Gardai or insurance companies to produce a document that is responsibility of the state as it's the law.
    If the document is not available the test is meaningless but will save time as if tests suspended the whole system break down when testing resume.
    Also the daily revenue generated by the testing is considerable.
    I called today and was advised to keep an eye on website to see when full testing available, the reason i called was on here i seen that full testing available at some centres.
    The lady said it was just for Taxi and people who could not conduct their business without full test...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

moonage wrote: »
    "Lifts at these locations will be used primarily for those drivers who are due to undergo a Driving Test and NCT Taxi roadworthiness test."

Strange. What has doing a driving test to do with the NCT?

So they won't have enough lifts at these centres to cater for the vast majority of tests.

Because, for someone waiting to do a test, the nct needs to be valid and displayed. Same for taxis. People’s income at stake.

I agree with them getting first choice and access to the lifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Jsman11 wrote: »
    Off the nct website under news
    https://www.ncts.ie/1115

Cheers I was able to book a retest straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Gardai pulled my mate over as NCT had lapsed and is due in Carlow tomorrow for it and was given 10 days to get it sorted,so awaiting how things went.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭elperello

greasepalm wrote: »
    Gardai pulled my mate over as NCT had lapsed and is due in Carlow tomorrow for it and was given 10 days to get it sorted,so awaiting how things went.

How long is he out of test?

Good question as no cert in window when i was replacing rear discs and pads and rear caliper seized.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

The test is meaningless in most cases anyway for cars of a certain age
    You test a car
    It passes
    Then try to insure it
    And you can't
    Or they will absolutely tear you a new one with the price
    And then they feed your ears with tripe
    Boils your blood
    Pure and utter dung

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

That's a very good question tbh ;)

The test is meaningless when it passes the test and has been advised of condition of brakes been worn,discs marked and handbrake cable partially stuck and not returning to its stop.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Jsman11 wrote: »
    Update 4th February 2020

NCTS can confirm that underbody vehicle inspections will recommence in an additional eight centres around the country in the coming week. This follows the delivery and planned installation of new vehicle lifts.

13 new lifts apparently getting installed (according to the DVA man up North)

Some snippets from the NI Committee for Infrastructure Meeting Wednesday 5 February 2020:

https://youtu.be/54vDuERxY4U?t=7834

https://youtu.be/54vDuERxY4U?t=8719

https://youtu.be/54vDuERxY4U?t=9477

• Registered Users Posts: 33,253 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My Leaf went through ok yesterday, but of course I got a MAJOR fail.
    Passed everything it was tested for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭honda boi

Got a car off a dealer that nct was up 31/10/19
    He put it through the nct and got the fail on lift inspection.
    What's the deal now, wait till they update there website or are you's booking retests in case the Garda stop you?

I do not think he can be fined for not having NCT if it expired since this started, the motoring offence is.

"Using vehicle (car) without valid test certificate (NCT)"

No Guard can issue a penalty for not having something that is not available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 PeterParker100

Still no lifts in operation in Fonthill today despite the vague statement on the NCT website, I wasted my time showing up for a retest after I booked on the back of the 'news' that the lifts back working. A bit miffed

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭topcat72

Has anyone been able to get a retest at any of the centres with a working lift? I've phoned NCT twice this week since i heaRd my local centre ( limerick city ) was back up with one lift, but no joy - they say taxis and driving test only. Advised to phone back tomorrow and Monday.
    My car is 3 weeks past date now, did have the original (it part failed on) before orig expiry date, so I have that form, but it , of course , needs the lift test done.
    If ANYONE has managed to have a retest done at a centre ( who is not a taxi driver or awating driving test) please advise.
    Very nervous of driving without it, as Ive always had NCT up to date.

Still no lifts in operation in Fonthill today despite the vague statement on the NCT website, I wasted my time showing up for a restest after I booked on the back of the 'news' that the lifts back working. A bit miffed

Really, I have one booked for exactly the same reason. I'll have to ring them.

Its a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I do not think he can be fined for not having NCT if it expired since this started, the motoring offence is.

"Using vehicle (car) without valid test certificate (NCT)"

No Guard can issue a penalty for not having something that is not available.

That depends on the guard and the judge.

Sections 18 and 19 of the road traffic act 1961 require that A person shall not use in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle to which this section applies unless at that time there is in force in respect of the vehicle a test certificate.

The guard might exercise discretion if a valid test certificate (or in current circumstances, a test report with a pass in everything except underbody visual tests) can be produced within the 10 days.

However this doesn't alter the fact that at the time he was stopped he had neither a valid test certificate or even a test report passing everything but the underbody visual tests. The same would apply if it went to court.

Technically if he had done the NCT the day before being stopped and passed all but the underbody visual tests he would be no better off as he would still not have had a valid test certificate, only a test report with a fail major for the visual inspection not carried out. The law doesn't provide for exceptions.

It is not good enough that people are put in s position of not being able to legally drive due to circumstances outside their control. People should not have to rely on the discretion and goodwill of strangers to turn a blind eye to the law.

The minister can, and should have introduced regulations, under sections 9 and 10 of the Road Traffic Act, providing for either the temporary extension of existing test certificates (as in Northern Ireland) or the issuing of temporary test certificates until the problem with the test centre lifts is resolved.

Unfortunately our minister for transport, sport and tourism has done nothing and appears to be alseep at the wheel.

I note when I re-book or rechedule it says there a fee against it. I assume thats not charged on the day.

I was not aware the NCT test was around in 1961...

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

beauf wrote: »
    Really, I have one booked for exactly the same reason. I'll have to ring them.

Its a shambles.

Ah. I have mine booked for this Sunday. Did you ring them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,580 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

topcat72 wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to get a retest at any of the centres with a working lift? I've phoned NCT twice this week since i head my local centre ( limerick city ) was back up with one lift, but no joy - they say taxis and driving test only. Advised top phone back tomorrow and Monday.

Hmmm... something about those numbers don't add up for me but maybe I'm underthinking it.

There's just over 20,000 licensed taxis and hackneys in the country.
    How many people are up for a driving test AND need an NCT on their car?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

zepman wrote: »
    Ah. I have mine booked for this Sunday. Did you ring them?

Yes couldn't get through. Gave up. Decided to move it back 2 weeks using reschedule on the website.
    NCT will be expired by then, but I only had narrow window to get it sorted, and I don't have any confidence they'll get it sorted AND let me know in that window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Had mine yesterday failed on headlights been to high. Grand no bother with that had a bulb fitted a couple of weeks back never got them aligned. Kicker is I have to get it retested for 28 euro as it needs to use a lane but will have to go back again to get the lift part done so 3 times to the NCT lol. Even if lift is working on the resit day they won't do the lift part ( well they can't gaurentee) as it's seperate.

Advertisement