Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

cruizer101 wrote: »
    You didn't have to take the morning off work, that was your choice. NCT's can be booked well in advance and are open plenty of time outside of working hours.
    Its an inconvenience yes but nobody is being forced to take time off work because of this situation.

True but, people are being forced to take on extra costs that they may not otherwise have incurred e.g. fuel and toll charges, child minders not to mention the possibility of invalid insurance should they be involved in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭FDave

The biggest problems i see are if a personmgoes for their partial NCT and fail on headlight allignment will they get 28 days to retest and pay the retest fee, then a month later have to go back for the lift test and if they fail on a balljoint will thwy get another 28 days and retest fee to fix it. Cars will have to go for NCT up to 4 times and potentially pay a retest fee twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You didn't have to take the morning off work, that was your choice. NCT's can be booked well in advance and are open plenty of time outside of working hours.
    Its an inconvenience yes but nobody is being forced to take time off work because of this situation.

Are you guaranteeing that there will be OOO retest slots available for those who have to go back for lift re-sits?
    Source please.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Why is the burden placed on the general public when this 'issue' was totally avoidable by simple inspections of the lift equipment? All electro/mechanical are subject to fail but that is mitigated by inspection, maintenance and repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

FDave wrote: »
    The biggest problems i see are if a personmgoes for their partial NCT and fail on headlight allignment will they get 28 days to retest and pay the retest fee, then a month later have to go back for the lift test and if they fail on a balljoint will thwy get another 28 days and retest fee to fix it. Cars will have to go for NCT up to 4 times and potentially pay a retest fee twice.

I think the fairest way to deal with this would be to only charge one restet fee whether it arises from something in the first test or from the subsequent inspection on the lift.

If you're lucky and the lifts are back working before your retest and everything passes there will have been no extra time off or journey needed. As you've pointed out, worst case could involve two extra journeys to the test centre. i can't see the NCTS tripping over themselves to compensate people for the extra trouble + expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Outside/inside working hours there's still a cost and inconvenience being shoved on those who aren't responsible.

The old adage: a poor workman blames his tools, an even poorer worker blames his tools and passes the blame to someone else, it's utterly daft that this situation could come about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Reply from email, Ill send one back about time and cost of retest etc

Many thanks for your recent e-mail. Firstly, we do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this matter has caused. At this time, we must prioritise the safety of our staff and also our customer’s property.

You should continue to book and turn up for your NCT Inspection as normal. The test will be completed with the omission of the underbody inspection, which will be conducted at a later date when the lifts are returned to use. All other elements of the test including lights, emissions, upper body exterior, vehicle interior, brakes, suspension and wheel alignment will be tested in the normal manner. The Vehicle Inspection Report will be issued at the time of testing and a certificate will be issued when all stages of the rest have been successfully completed.

The RSA have made the Gardaí aware of the issue and is liaising with them on any potential issues arising. All vehicle owners are reminded that the roadworthiness of their vehicle is their responsibility at all times not just on the day of their NCT.

Our advice to motorists is:

· Book your NCT as normal
    · Organise for your vehicle to be serviced and checked by a reputable repair organisation as normal
    ·Ensure that you carry proof of servicing of your vehicle at all times
    · Present your vehicle for the NCT where you will be provided with a Vehicle Inspection Report
    · Ensure that you carry proof of that Vehicle Inspection Report in your vehicle
    · Represent your vehicle for the underbody inspection when advised to receive your full NCT Certificate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭honda boi

I'd love to know will the Garda be taken cars of people now without nct because now it's impossible to get an nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭elperello

honda boi wrote: »
    I'd love to know will the Garda be taken cars of people now without nct because now it's impossible to get an nct.

Still nothing on AGS website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

elperello wrote: »
    Still nothing on AGS website.

I'd doubt they can officially state that they will turn a blind eye to the law.

The most effective solution is to issue temporary NCT certificates and discs for any vehicle passing the non-lift part of the NCT. It's far more straightforward than trying to patch up all the potential knock on effects of not having a valid NCT.

There should be a much stronger than currently visible push back on the government and minister for transport, tourism and sport to put an effective remedy in place.

• Advertisement

I'd doubt they can officially state that they will turn a blind eye to the law.

The most effective solution is to issue temporary NCT certificates and discs for any vehicle passing the non-lift part of the NCT. It's far more straightforward than trying to patch up all the potential knock on effects of not having a valid NCT.

There should be a much stronger than currently visible push back on the government and minister for transport, tourism and sport to put an effective remedy in place.

Still when you have the NCT boss Henderson giving the nod and wink that's nearly worse.

Yes a full cert or nothing until this is sorted out.

Mr Ross is too busy down the back of the sofa finding a few bob for the FAI and the photo op. to bother about motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

RioM wrote: »
    I checked my email expecting more details too, as the booking confirmation went there.

I might call them in Monday if there's no more updates

Well i sent one myself to see, herself has to take time off work a then go from Navan to Kells so wanted to see what they said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Minor issue, but I wonder what date will go on the final cert when it's issued? The date of the partial inspection, or that of the one with the lift?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Yakuza wrote: »
    Minor issue, but I wonder what date will go on the final cert when it's issued? The date of the partial inspection, or that of the one with the lift?

The date it was issued obviously.

They say some lifts are working now, but no solid numbers yet.

Hopefully it will be all over in a week or two.

The date for the next test won't change.

It will be the anniversary of the car's registration or if the car has been tested early in the past the anniversary of that test.

I think the testing date will be the date of the final test with lift because that's the date the full cert. will be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Which one do you think? Certainly won't go in your favour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

AlfaZen wrote: »
    True but, people are being forced to take on extra costs that they may not otherwise have incurred e.g. fuel and toll charges, child minders not to mention the possibility of invalid insurance should they be involved in an accident.

ah bless, what a hardship.

I was at the funeral of the 3 children earlier today - you may rethink what a problem and inconvenience is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Trampas

How ironic that the company who test for defects are using defective equipment

silver2020 wrote: »

I was at the funeral of the 3 children earlier today - you may rethink what a problem and inconvenience is.

Sorry for your trouble.
    That was an awful tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Trampas wrote: »
    How ironic that the company who test for defects are using defective equipment

They are actually not using potentially defective equipment ;)

And that's the issue.

My gp appointment was cancelled once because the gp was ill. Unacceptable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

silver2020 wrote: »

And you, with all due respect, don't know what hardship other people are going through and how this could impact them. I don't want this thread to go into a game of Top Trumps of what hardship is, there is no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

still no clarity in statements about them canceling some bookings - WHICH THEY ARE DOING - 2 re tests booked this weekend in naas, both need lift, once canceled by text one not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Old diesel

scannerd wrote: »
    still no clarity in statements about them canceling some bookings - WHICH THEY ARE DOING - 2 re tests booked this weekend in naas, both need lift, once canceled by text one not.

They were supposedly operating a limited amount of lifts.

One of them in Naas perhaps?????.

Taxis, people who are doing driving tests and rechecks from before the stoppage - were getting priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

no problem with them canceling but they need to reference that in their statements, neither car is a taxi or waiting on diver test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Deansgrange (South Dublin)
    Ballinasloe
    Athlone
    Skibbereen
    Ballina
    Enniscorthy

Lifts working in these places

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Deansgrange (South Dublin)
    Ballinasloe
    Athlone
    Skibbereen
    Ballina
    Enniscorthy

Lifts working in these places

Are the lifts on these centres working as normal? I've a test booked for the end of Feb in one of these centres. I'm not worried about the guards, but I am about insurance. NCT is out first week of march with insurance due 10 days after.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

It doesn't mean all the lifts in those centres are working as normal.

Priority to driving tests and taxis.

Sit tight, check the NCTS news updates: https://www.ncts.ie/1115

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Ok, I've read all the way up to here and would this be a fair summary?:
    • Cracks spotted on a MOT centre Maha lift in Larne, Nov 2019.
    • Maha install, maintain and inspect these lifts.
    • Maha says not a safety issue at that time.
    • Crack grows and independent inspector declares lift unsafe.
    • Maha solution to weld gusset plates on and cracks up in-situ.
    • Crack continue growing, 48/55 lifts cracked, and independent inspector withdraws safety certificate.
    • A week of chaos and NI issues 4 month extension to existing MOTs (via book/pay/cancel/refund nonsense) and prioritise 4 year-old cars due 1st test and taxi. They do this in lorry and bus test lanes (over pits)
    • NCTS looks at their similar lifts. Finds one so far with cracks.
    • Suspension of use of lifts until checks carried out.
    • Chaos ensues as partial tests and return later for the underbody part is the solution here.
    • Some NCTS lifts have been checked and back in service. Priority given to those with driving tests shortly and taxis.

The cracks might be small and hard to spot to start with, but really Maha shouldn't be marking their own homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

I was just wondering today if there was any point booking the re-test (for the pending underbody inspection) selecting a date from next week that's a couple of days before my current NCT expires (Feb 10th).

Their online booking system shows pretty much all dates starting from Feb 2nd as available for the re-testing. Of course, this does not mean that it won't be cancelled just before the actual date if lift inspections are still suspended.

Anyway, I noticed the following line on the booking page -

nct-message.jpg

"Vehicle to be retested on or before Sunday, March 29, 2020"

I know that re-tests (in normal circumstances) must be completed within 30 days of the initial test. My NCT was on January 29th (just two hours after lift inspections were suspended). So does that message above mean that I now have 60 days to get the re-test done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

macplaxton wrote: »
    Ok, I've read all the way up to here and would this be a fair summary?:
    • Cracks spotted on a MOT centre Maha lift in Larne, Nov 2019.
    • Maha install, maintain and inspect these lifts.
    • Maha says not a safety issue at that time.
    • Crack grows and independent inspector declares lift unsafe.
    • Maha solution to weld gusset plates on and cracks up in-situ.
    • Crack continue growing, 48/55 lifts cracked, and independent inspector withdraws safety certificate.
    • A week of chaos and NI issues 4 month extension to existing MOTs (via book/pay/cancel/refund nonsense) and prioritise 4 year-old cars due 1st test and taxi. They do this in lorry and bus test lanes (over pits)
    • NCTS looks at their similar lifts. Finds one so far with cracks.
    • Suspension of use of lifts until checks carried out.
    • Chaos ensues as partial tests and return later for the underbody part is the solution here.
    • Some NCTS lifts have been checked and back in service. Priority given to those with driving tests shortly and taxis.

The cracks might be small and hard to spot to start with, but really Maha shouldn't be marking their own homework.

It's pretty dodgy that after having specified repairs carried out
    In north that the cracks kept growing. Typically such a repair - welding and plating would be massively over designed. Seems like they attempted a substandard repair possibly due to location / limited space due to moving parts etc.
    With cracks visible in so many up north, surely they should have been actively installing new lifts.

Advertisement