Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestlemania 2020 - Spoilers, rumours, etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,063 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its farcical already but having Gronkowski host it makes it even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭briany

This WM might have excellent viewing figures partly being due to nothing else being on, and partly due to morbid curiosity.

sky88 wrote: »

It's mad how WM17 seems like they just out of the blue decided to completely ramp up the production quality. Pyro, lights, stage etc. are all fairly same for a long time, and then WM17 comes along and it was just treated like it was the biggest event in the world.

EDIT: Also bugged me a tad that they dubbed out the WM21 music. You'd think they'd have the rights to use those songs forever and ever and ever considering they know they'll be re-using the footage for 20-30 years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah no, people jump a lot to ‘kill the business’, which is a thing that’s never, ever happened before since there has been a business. Wrestling isn’t going to ‘die’ in the same way football isn’t going to die, it’s an interest for millions of people out there so there’ll always be a market for it. And there’s a huge gap in the middle there between business booming and just ceasing to exist. I think it’s because people struggle to be able to accurately project the real effects that they just default to the extreme of “it’s all going to go away”, even though, again, that’s a thing that’s never happened.

If Vince McMahon caught the Coronavirus, what would happen is...Vince McMahon would have the Coronavirus. He’d cough a lot and be quite sick. If he got it badly he may even die. But he’s an elderly man so that’s possible at any time anyway and nobody speaks of the entire wrestling universe falling on its axis. Same way if Boris Johnson passed away now that he has it, it wouldn’t ‘kill’ the United Kingdom. There’d be a transitional period where things would be weird and uncertain, then someone would replace him, then it’d be business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think that’s the first wwe related account or program to say covid 19

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Sh8g9Asnx/?igshid=161pjztyhe2cc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

What time are we on at tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ThePott

Who's gonna tell him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

ThePott wrote: »
    Who's gonna tell him?

Sorry about that ha ha isolation has me all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭cena

Next week chuck

Reminded me of a guy on Reddit one year asking what everyone was cooking for the Rumble but he was a week early. He cooked a cheesecake for nothing :(

Hope you're not in the same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

cena wrote: »
    Next week chuck

For a second there I thought Cilla Black lives

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

ThePott wrote: »
    Reminded me of a guy on Reddit one year asking what everyone was cooking for the Rumble but he was a week early. He cooked a cheesecake for nothing :(

Hope you're not in the same boat.

Hope he didn't let it go to waste.

Monokne wrote: »
    Hope he didn't let it go to waste.
    I hope not :D
    It's become a Reddit tradition now to wish Happy Cheesecake day the week before the Rumble :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

It wouldn't kill the business. Come on now.

You had a main event wrestler kill his wife and son with a t:e ratio 59 times higher than normal while PASSING steroid tests, and you had another wrestler dropped from the ceiling and die in the middle of the ring on a live TV show & they didn't even stop the show.

It's bad press and that's it.

Besides which, it's impossible to prove someone got it specifically at the Performance Center. Oh and these are all young healthy people. It's a mild flu to them.

It could kill the WWEs business.

Say a wrestler dies such as Roman as a result of Vinces 'the show must go on stance. Its could be viewed as gross negligence. The bad press in 2020 would be so much worse IMO. Sponsors would run a mile. Business will already be tough when things come back to some state of normality. Bad press' lawsuits and the loss of sponsors could be very nad indeed.

Football wont die if Liverpool go into liquidation but Liverpool FC would be probably gone.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    It could kill the WWEs business.

Say a wrestler dies such as Roman as a result of Vinces 'the show must go on stance. Its could be viewed as gross negligence. The bad press in 2020 would be so much worse IMO. Sponsors would run a mile. Business will already be tough when things come back to some state of normality. Bad press' lawsuits and the loss of sponsors could be very nad indeed.

Football wont die if Liverpool go into liquidation but Liverpool FC would be probably gone.

That still won't kill WWE, nor anywhere close. Again, Owen dropped from the sky & they just kept working in the broken & bloody ring, and Benoit butchered his family gassed to the gills with a brain of an alzheimers patient from the years of damage in the ring. Think about it for a second?

I think you know this but you just don't want to admit it maybe? Anyway, it would certainly be bad for business though. Is that what you actually meant?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Mod note: Please chill, converse without doggedy needling others. If you're getting wound up, please give the internet a break for a little while.

were getting a rocky 4 style promo for Drew

The most you’re talking in that extreme hypothetical example is it’d be enough to have Vince McMahon rendered ineffective at the top of WWE. But WWE are a public limited company: you almost have to compare them to a government rather than a private business because, in theory, they could just elect another shareholder to manage the day-to-day and you all of a sudden could have the likes of JBL running the show.

In effect this means WWE will almost definitely never die: worst case scenario if shareholders can’t sell their shares, they continue to be shareholders. But WWE has a lot of valuable capital worth buying at the very least so there’ll always be shareholders. The only way it’d be possible is if someone bought all of the shares and liquidated the company, which would be a mental thing to do given their size, expense, history and brand recognition. So realistically none of that will happen.

Whereas say if Tony Khan was in a similar scandal, because AEW is a private business and not protected by an umbrella organisation like, say, the Jacksonville Jaguars are...then you’re talking about bringing a company down. TV deals evaporate, sponsors pull out, there’s no money coming in, minimal actual capital to even sell (they only have a few months worth of TV as a back catalogue even, then you’re looking at the ring, stage etc which is peanuts) and it just becomes a massive expense so he pulls the plug.

All fair comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The boneyard match and the firefly funhouse match should be class. I love me some wrestlecrap.

• Advertisement

Who knows? It could end up being good. One thing WWE have been sneaky good at lately is their big PPVs. Nobody speaks about it, but I think going back to Survivor Series 2018 every big 4 PPV has been high quality. And the company tends to be at its best when plans get thrown off kilter and they have to re-adjust (think the recent NXT Invasion or that mad TLC PPV where Kurt Angle came back)

Granted I don’t hold out much hope because I fear we’re in the middle of Vince McMahon being ridiculously stubborn and refusing to back down on a mistake, but you never know...

Either way I hope their hand is forced and the Raw after Mania is their last show for a while, I think a break could end up being the best thing to happen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,138 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

LESNAR! LEESSSSSNAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRR!!!

https://twitter.com/btsportwwe/status/1244323635176837122

Shame that his crowning will be wasted on an empty PC because the crowd are really behind and him beating Brock would've got a monstrous pop.

J. Marston wrote: »

Shame that his crowning will be wasted on an empty PC because the crowd are really behind and him beating Brock would've got a monstrous pop.

I really hope he loses and gets his win with a crowd at hopefully summerslam if this is over

J. Marston wrote: »

That was cheezy as **** but cool

leggo wrote: »
    Who knows? It could end up being good. One thing WWE have been sneaky good at lately is their big PPVs. Nobody speaks about it, but I think going back to Survivor Series 2018 every big 4 PPV has been high quality. And the company tends to be at its best when plans get thrown off kilter and they have to re-adjust (think the recent NXT Invasion or that mad TLC PPV where Kurt Angle came back)

Granted I don’t hold out much hope because I fear we’re in the middle of Vince McMahon being ridiculously stubborn and refusing to back down on a mistake, but you never know...

Either way I hope their hand is forced and the Raw after Mania is their last show for a while, I think a break could end up being the best thing to happen to them.

I think the problem here is context.

I have seen enough empty arena wrestling between WWE & AEW now to know that it does nothing for me personally. I am sure I am not alone in that, in which case, for many there is truly no way for Wrestlemania to be good.

I have seen enough empty arena wrestling between WWE & AEW now to know that it does nothing for me personally. I am sure I am not alone in that, in which case, for many there is truly no way for Wrestlemania to be good.

I’d agree it’s why I’m only interested in edge/Orton then the boneyard match and Cena/Wyatt to see if they do anything a bit crazy

I’m completely over no audience wrestling, we agree on that. I’ll watch both nights of Mania, stick this week’s Raw on in the background while working from home Tuesday, then catch the Raw after Mania and some YouTube highlights of NXT, AEW and SmackDown. But then I think I’m going to be taking a break from the weekly stuff, whether WWE and AEW do or not. I’d hoped that AEW had cracked it having wrestlers as the audience for some kind of atmosphere, then social distancing put an end to even that so no, it’s just a dead concept that depresses me now no matter who’s doing it. I can’t pay attention to matches with no audience and when I force myself to try it’s just cringe, and that’s all before taking into account how uncomfortable I am with them ignoring every bit of advice out there to socially distance.

Having said that though...I think WWE are gimmicking up so many matches because they’re going for more of a Lucha Underground/Hardy Compound vibe. That style of no audience wrestling can work so I’ll go into it with an open mind that for Wrestle f’n Mania they’ll swing big and could hit on something. But as far as the TV shows go, there’s too much content for them to do that kind of creative stuff weekly so it’ll be more of same, they’re a write off. It’s literally just Mania I have a tiny bit of hope for.

I agree. The gimmick matches are of more interest to me than the regular ones.

For me, I'm fairly traditional with my wrestling tastes when it's in the ring. This is why I couldn't take the Jericho-Hardy segment on Wednesday.

However, once its away from the ring, for whatever reason, my palate is different. So were Hardy & Jericho to have had that segment at the compound, it would somehow feel less silly to me, somehow more palatable.

So for that reason - as poorly as I've explained it - the boneyard & firefly funhouse matches are somewhat intriguing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,138 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah, initially I was all for an empty arena but the novelty wore off after one Smackdown.

You don't know what you have until it's gone and even a quiet, uninterested crowd is infinitely better than complete silence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If it was filmed in Scotland, I assume it was after the match took place since he wouldn't be allowed to fly back to the US.

So it starts midnight both nights? Any preshows?

Advertisement