Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No right wing alternative= No alternative

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,479 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Closing this thread for a few minutes while I look at a few pages of posts

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,479 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Closing this thread for a few minutes while I look at a few pages of posts
    I'm re-opening after a number of cards have been handed out. A couple of reminders
    Please be civil - in particular attack the post, not the poster
    If you have a problem with a post report it and leave the mods to consider any appropriate action

Oh, and let's not have any more of this "Nazi" crap

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

enricoh wrote: »
    So migrants are 4% more likely than Irish to be working but 100% more likely to be on rent supplement than Irish. Fantastic news, let's take more in - the next ones might be more beneficial to our economy!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-quinn/huge-scale-of-immigration-is-making-our-housing-crisis-worse-35498057.html

Last year, I decided to ask the Department of Social Protection what percentage of rent supplement was paid out to non-Irish EU nationals, and non-EU nationals.

As at February of last year, the figure was 35pc. This is a remarkable total. Remember, 17pc of the population is "foreign-born", so immigrants are over-represented in the figures by two to one.

And yet - immigrants are more likely to be supporting this rent supplement payments, along with every other income tax supported social provision, than Irish nationals are. It’s been established for many years that immigrants are net contributors to the Irish economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

sk8erboii wrote: »
    LOL

That specific discussion was about literal Heil-Hitler Nazis. Just stop talking.

You’ve gotten to the point where you’re defending Nazis on boards.ie. I dont know if its the lack of self awareness, or more likely you have a hard on for authoritarian right wing men (possible homoeroticism, but im not judging).

But I’ll say it again. If you declare yourself to be a Nazi you are a direct threat to my friends, my family, and everything I love about Ireland. If you, a Nazi, try to assert your dominance in this country I will not hesitate to eliminate you violently because what happens if Nazis get in power is far more worse than making a few corpses of sad angry little men like Justin Barrett (The deformed gremlin).

No. I'm defending the rule of the law and the land. You have no right to murder anyone regardless of what you may think of their views, or indeed what they may think of you and yours. If you love Ireland so much you'd agree. You do realise the UVF and Ulster terrorists up in the North used the same reasoning as you to go around murdering Nationalists.

If you can't see that distinction of what I am saying then there's no helping you. If you think it's me with a hard on for authoritarianism than it is you that lacks the self awareness.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

No. I'm defending the rule of the law and the land. You have no right to murder anyone regardless of what you may think of their views, or indeed what they may think of you and yours. If you love Ireland so much you'd agree. You do realise the UVF and Ulster terrorists up in the North used the same reasoning as you to go around murdering Nationalists.

If you can't see that distinction of what I am saying then there's no helping you. If you think it's me with a hard on for authoritarianism than it is you that lacks the self awareness.

Sorry mate but Im going with the mod on this one. If you want to discuss the false dichotomy of eliminating evil vs letting evil proliferate make another thread. As beasty says

No more of this Nazi crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Sorry mate but Im going with the mod on this one. If you want to discuss the false dichotomy of eliminating evil vs letting evil proliferate make another thread. As beasty says

No more of this Nazi crap

No it's fine. I'm quite happy with the law of the country as it stands. Making it legal to murder someone with abhorrent views is not acceptable and most of the country thinks the same. There is nothing to debate.

Goodluck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

oh someone has never heard of rules of war and thinks killing during war is like killing during peacetime *cringe*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

enricoh wrote: »
    Here's a good news story today from the asylum spoofer industry, this entrepreneur has 500k in the bank. This hard working lad won't be a drain on resources anyway!
    Maybe rte will do a little heart warming interview with him!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/man-squatting-at-asylum-centre-had-500-000-in-his-account-1.4165488?mode=amp

Instead of being put on the next plane out of the country he is given free legal aid.

And people wonder about the rise of right wing views in Ireland?

Is it any wonder?

People will get angry seeing stuff like this.

That guy should be out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

alastair wrote: »

'Immigrants', of course, being a term you like to use as way to conceal, at least as much as reveal.
    However, within the migrant population there are wide disparities, with Africans experiencing low employment rates of 45%.

Gee, thanks for the link.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

Move on from posts about Nazis and WW2 and keep the thread on topic

• Advertisement

'Immigrants', of course, being a term you like to use as way to conceal, at least as much as reveal.

Immigrants are the non-Irish living here that the poster referenced. Glad to clarify.

Immigrants are the non-Irish living here that the poster referenced. Glad to clarify.

And some are beneficial to the host, and some are parasitic to the host.

Glad to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

And yet - immigrants are more likely to be supporting this rent supplement payments, along with every other income tax supported social provision, than Irish nationals are. It’s been established for many years that immigrants are net contributors to the Irish economy.

So you think cultural diversity is worth it because poor (incapable) people will be better off.

And some are beneficial to the host, and some are parasitic to the host.

Glad to clarify.

And once again - immigrants are net contributors to the Irish economy. Which was the point being made.

AllForIt wrote: »
    So you think cultural diversity is worth it because poor (incapable) people will be better off.

Cultural diversity seems like a good thing on it’s own merits. As to the rest - no idea what you’re trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

And once again - immigrants are net contributors to the Irish economy. Which was the point being made.

Well how far do you take these calculations? Apparently, xenophobia is one of the driving forces behind Brexit. Brexit is apparently the most economically destructive thing that Britain has partaken in since WW2.

So has immigration not caused Brexit? How far do you take these sweeping statements, such as immigrants are net contributors? How far do we have to dig until we find a situation that supports your own view? And then if we keep digging and did your view is undermined do we stop?

Try approaching this conversation with an open mind and realise you berating people for a different view isn't going to get anyone anywhere.

Capra wrote: »
    Well how far do you take these calculations? Apparently, xenophobia is one of the driving forces behind Brexit. Brexit is apparently the most economically destructive thing that Britain has partaken in since WW2.

So has immigration not caused Brexit? How far do you take these sweeping statements, such as immigrants are net contributors? How far do we have to dig until we find a situation that supports your own view? And then if we keep digging and did your view is undermined do we stop?

Try approaching this conversation with an open mind and realise you berating people for a different view isn't going to get anyone anywhere.

Brexit was caused by ignorance, not immigrants. Glad to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No - that's like blaming the car when the driver was pissed at the wheel.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Ah, you are one of those one line posters. Cool.

However if a certain proportion of voters are, through no fault of their own ignorant, is it not problematic to keep importing immigrants? Particularly when we live in a one man, one vote system. The vote of the "ignorant" counts just as much as that of the enlightened.

Ah, you are one of those one line posters. Cool.

However if a certain proportion of voters are, through no fault of their own ignorant, is it not problematic to keep importing immigrants? Particularly when we live in a one man, one vote system. The vote of the "ignorant" counts just as much as that of the enlightened.

Ignorance isn’t the fault of immigrants either. The most immigrant heavy regions in the U.K. voted to remain. And an opinion based on ignorance never counts as much as an enlightened one - even where it’s applied to a vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Morgans

So the problem isn't that immigration causes damage to society, something that is evidenced by those most likely to interact with them, it's just that the ignorant who are too easy to rile up and perceive them as damaging society.

It does say a lot about those peddling the nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Cultural diversity seems like a good thing on it’s own merits. As to the rest - no idea what you’re trying to say.

Culture derived over thousands of years. Culture is the culture. It doesn't make sense to have 2 cultures side by side. Over time both cultures would meld to one culture. Like hundreds of years more. Then a lefty would hate it because it's considered one culture and would endeavor to split it once again.

And once again - not all immigrants are net contributors to the Irish economy.

Which is a more important point to be made.

Ignorance of what ?

Not ignorance of the 'benefits' of close proximity to mass immigration, that's for sure.

And once again - not all immigrants are net contributors to the Irish economy.

The post related to ‘non-Irish’ residents. Which means all immigrants.

Morgans wrote: »
    So the problem isn't that immigration causes damage to society, something that is evidenced by those most likely to interact with them, it's just that the ignorant who are too easy to rile up and perceive them as damaging society.

It does say a lot about those peddling the nonsense.

It’s evidenced by nothing more than your personal bias. Which is entirely unconvincing. Once again - those most likely to be interacting with larger numbers of immigrants voted remain.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Culture derived over thousands of years. Culture is the culture. It doesn't make sense to have 2 cultures side by side. Over time both cultures would meld to one culture. Like hundreds of years more. Then a lefty would hate it because it's considered one culture and would endeavor to split it once again.

Are you claiming any critical consideration for this remarkable theory? Culture is the culture?

The post related to ‘non-Irish’ residents. Which means all immigrants.

Indeed. And the link you provided highlights those within that, whose contribution is negative.

Happy to help.

Indeed. And the link you provided highlights those within that, whose contribution is negative.

Happy to help.

It’s actually no help whatsoever, but thanks for your input. I can cherrypick from the Irish populace too. It still wouldn’t change the fact that it was incorrect to state that immigrants are a drain on resources here. They’re net contributors.

• Advertisement

It’s actually no help whatsoever, but thanks for your input. I can cherrypick from the Irish populace too. It still wouldn’t change the fact that it was incorrect to state that immigrants are a drain on resources here. They’re net contributors.

No, in this context you can not cherrypick from the Irish populace.

Irish people have an intrinsic right to live in this country. Not everyone else does.

Fewer parasitic draws on the system would mean less drain on resources. A desirable thing.

Your source is more informative than you are.

Advertisement