Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saracens Salarygate: Automatic Relegation?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My suspicion is that within their accounts lies a series of other, more serious issues and consequences for those running the club.

Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The authorities would be confused by the BIZARRE IRREGULARITIES IN THE ACCOUNTS.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Dylan Hartley makes a good point here about the practical advantage the cheating gave Saracens...

https://twitter.com/MichaelC_RTE/status/1224460560848293888?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Zzippy wrote: »
    Dylan Hartley makes a good point here about the practical advantage the cheating gave Saracens...

https://twitter.com/MichaelC_RTE/status/1224460560848293888?s=19
    Who knew that the guy we all love to hate would turn out to be a very good pundit. Love the way he talks about his own bans and "criminal versatility". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Nigel Wray has two arses.

Where is Father Ted's right boot when you need him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

He does seem to have no problem taking the piss out of himself alright, quite like that. I did like his line about Northampton getting their money's worth out of him "when i wasn't suspended".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

He does seem to have no problem taking the piss out of himself alright, quite like that. I did like his line about Northampton getting their money's worth out of him "when i wasn't suspended".
    Yeah. It was always said by those who knew him that he was a really nice guy. Just hard to reconcile that with his behaviour on the pitch at times. Hopefully he gets more of the pundit work because he's interesting to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There’s a reason he captained everyone he played for, hardly a shock he’s not some evil dope surely

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Taken from another thread but this is probably going to be one of the bigger blows if true. They'll be desperate for the Wray family to keep injecting cash into the club but something tells me with the way things have transpired he might not continue to on the same scale at all.

https://twitter.com/MattHughesDM/status/1224958029147398144?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Was expected. I think it was suggested about a dozen times on this thread already.

They're in freefall as a club. Just when things appear to go quiet they take another body shot.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Was expected. I think it was suggested about a dozen times on this thread already.

They're in freefall as a club. Just when things appear to go quiet they take another body shot.

There is a real risk the club doesn't recover from this.

They've always been an expensive indulgence of Wray's but their P&L sheet is going to look horrific at the start of next season and only his money is going to keep them from administration.

It's a sad and precarious situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I would bet most of the larger companies will jump ship. Good on them as well. Who would want their brand assocaiated with a group of cheats!!!

Nigel Wray has two arses.

Perfect for turning the other cheek.....:D

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I would bet most of the larger companies will jump ship. Good on them as well. Who would want their brand assocaiated with a group of cheats!!!

The icing on this particular cake is what it will do to the mental health of megascrote Stephen Jones. He must be nearing the gasket exploding stage by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

jacothelad wrote: »
    The icing on this particular cake is what it will do to the mental health of megascrote Stephen Jones. He must be nearing the gasket exploding stage by now.

I'm sure he'll be tweeting telling everyone to change their insurance provider soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I do love on my daily forays into boards to see this thread updated.

I do love on my daily forays into boards to see this thread updated.

It’s better crack on the Sarries forums as they scramble around for excuses, accuse everyone else and then just write little post asking other supporters not to take the piss out of them

If shoe was on other foot

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

It’s better crack on the Sarries forums as they scramble around for excuses, accuse everyone else and then just write little post asking other supporters not to take the piss out of them

If shoe was on other foot

It's a global conspiracy according to (some) of the posters on the sarries forum.

mike_cork wrote: »
    It's a global conspiracy according to (some) of the posters on the sarries forum.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSSZDP2OG8NnJUs-cQxHtTdBZQYvNrPglzTDBDKQIf2jSarcPEY

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSSZDP2OG8NnJUs-cQxHtTdBZQYvNrPglzTDBDKQIf2jSarcPEY

That made me laugh.

The main issue with sarries is the lack of remorse from their fans, former/current players & staff and from the club as a whole. They're sorry they got caught not that they engaged in systematic cheating for a decade +.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Listening to last week's house of rugby pod, fairly disappointed to listen to Haskell, who I'd have had as a fairly straight talker before. Him and tindall at pains to say it wouldn't make a difference that they were all paid over the odds and playing down the whole thing and that they are just the best team. Saying the players are completely innocent parties in all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

mike_cork wrote: »
    that they engaged in systematic cheating for a decade +.

What's this now?

Listening to last week's house of rugby pod, fairly disappointed to listen to Haskell, who I'd have had as a fairly straight talker before. Him and tindall at pains to say it wouldn't make a difference that they were all paid over the odds and playing down the whole thing and that they are just the best team. Saying the players are completely innocent parties in all this.

To be fair the players are......

They just tried to get the best deal, its not like they would join Sarreis and go "no I don't want 200k, just give me 100k because I am concerned you are over the salary cap"

I am sure they all knew what was going on, they probably all knew it was as dodgy as hell but then again it is not their job to make sure what Wray was at was legal.

I don't blame the players.....to a point you can say McCaul is not part of it either if he just asked to sign XYZ and wasn't involved in them coming. Its the people above.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

To be fair the players are......

They just tried to get the best deal, its not like they would join Sarreis and go "no I don't want 200k, just give me 100k because I am concerned you are over the salary cap"

I am sure they all knew what was going on, they probably all knew it was as dodgy as hell but then again it is not their job to make sure what Wray was at was legal.

I don't blame the players.....to a point you can say McCaul is not part of it either if he just asked to sign XYZ and wasn't involved in them coming. Its the people above.

Of course the players will take the highest amount they can get, that's fair enough, but they knew full well what was going on. Otherwise they would just have a flat higher salary to do with as they please. It's just the claim that the poor little lambs didn't know any better.

That was kind of the secondary point anyway, my main issue was the passing off of the breaking of the salary cap like it made no difference to the club being successful .

You have Ugo Monye calling it financial doping and then some others scoffing at that and saying it made no difference. If it made no difference , Saracens would have paid out less money and won anyway, no one just gives away money for no reason, especially rich people .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Next month Saracens play Quins in Tottenham's stadium. Its the first annual match of a 5 year agreement between Spurs and Saracens signed back in April 2019.

I bet the Championship clubs cant wait to play there next season.

https://www.saracens.com/theshowdown/

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2019/april/tottenham-hotspur-and-saracens-announce-five-year-partnership/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

Would the likely punishment for that be forfeiture of the match.
    Could have a big impact on the q/final line ups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

EPCR changed a London Welsh v Grenoble match from a Grenoble win to a London Welsh 28-0 a few years ago.

If they did that Racing would go from 5th seed to 2nd. And Glasgow would replace Sarries in 8th.

Every single fixture would change.

Advertisement