Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saracens Salarygate: Automatic Relegation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Best of luck to anyone with any sort of administration role at Sarries on their CV in interviews in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

They won't change the quarter final fixtures - no chance.

Too many tickets sold, flights booked etc it would be a disaster. It will be a fine only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

daddy pig wrote: »
    They won't change the quarter final fixtures - no chance.

Too many tickets sold, flights booked etc it would be a disaster. It will be a fine only.

They may do as errlloyd pointed out, but I could see them dump Sarries out of the competition and letting Glasgow in in their place

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

why isnt there a "statue of limitations" type limit on these things?
    the game was 19 days ago.
    surely all paperwork needs to be submitted PRIOR to the game.

Lamositeles work permit expired the day before the game. He played 20 minutes of the game, in which sarries won by 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

They may do as errlloyd pointed out, but I could see them dump Sarries out of the competition and letting Glasgow in in their place

Could they do a straight swap I wonder?

Due to the unprecedented nature of it and as mentioned above flights, hotels etc booked.
    Just leave all the quarters as is and send Glasgow to Dublin?

Not like Sarries will have taken up much of the allocation :o
    Plus, Lansdowne should still have plenty seats left for Glasgow fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

Then you open it up to Racing complaining they should get the points from that game (and rightly so if Glasgow benefit) which changes the entire quarter final line up and changes a number of home venues as well.
    It's never gonna happen.

As there is money involved, if the sanction is result reversal then they have to do that.

Glasgow would otherwise likely have a case against the EPCR for loss of revenue.

The rules have to be enforced. I don't know if this oversight falls under that level of Sanction however.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

As there is money involved, if the sanction is result reversal then they have to do that.

Glasgow would otherwise likely have a case against the EPCR for loss of revenue.

The rules have to be enforced. I don't know if this oversight falls under that level of Sanction however.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/358850/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

errlloyd wrote: »
    EPCR changed a London Welsh v Grenoble match from a Grenoble win to a London Welsh 28-0 a few years ago.

If they did that Racing would go from 5th seed to 2nd. And Glasgow would replace Sarries in 8th.

Every single fixture would change.

So Ulster could end up playing Exeter away instead of Toulouse...that's a potential clustered*** for anyone who has booked flight and accomodation

They appear to be similar instances but there will be arguments for and against.

Looks grim for Saracens though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

So a 28-0, 5 pt win for Racing would mean:

Leinster (28) v Glasgow (17)
    Racing (27) v Saints (19)
    Exeter (27) v Ulster (21)
    Toulouse (27) v Clermont (24)

The 28-0 scoreline would see Racing leapfrog both Exeter and Toulouse on points difference and give Racing an almost guaranteed home semi-final.

Would it be good news for Ulster though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Think EPCR would have preferred them being knocked out before now. If they still get to play Leinster it would be fairly poor I think

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That seems to be a precedent and we know the Scots like to threaten to sue.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/11/celtic-legia-warsaw-champions-league-fair

"Bartosz Bereszynski, came on in the 88th minute. Bereszynski had no impact on the scoreline, but his mere presence on the pitch has since caused Legia to be expelled from the competition."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The 28-0 scoreline would see Racing leapfrog both Exeter and Toulouse on points difference and give Racing an almost guaranteed home semi-final.

On the pitch I don't think it matters. We are up against in either scenario. Exeter is easier to get to...I think...but then most Ulster fans going to the Q/F will already have booked their flights/accomodation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭KH25

Absolute mess, but surely action will have to be taken? Safest option would be a straight swap for Glasgow and leave the other games as they are to minimise the impact on teams and supporters, but then I’d say Racing would argue they should be set up for the home semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Because he was in the squad I wouldn’t be surprised if they are more lenient in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Murray Kinsella quoted a few precedents (the Grenoble case above being one). The usual sanction has been points deductions and fines; anything between 2 and 4 points being deducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Because he was in the squad I wouldn’t be surprised if they are more lenient in this case

I dunno. The fact he didn't have a valid work permit is a fairly big ordeal in terms of insurance etc, and even from a legal standpoint could be troublesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Surely there is no precedent that keeps them in the tournament? Be it points deductions or result reversals it all adds up to the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I do love on my daily forays into boards to see this thread updated.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It’s better crack on the Sarries forums as they scramble around for excuses, accuse everyone else and then just write little post asking other supporters not to take the piss out of them

If shoe was on other foot

And I wonder how they are over there today?

I love Saracens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Surely there is no precedent that keeps them in the tournament? Be it points deductions or result reversals it all adds up to the same thing
    They could fine them. But LI fielded an ineligible player back in 2000 and got two points deducted. Player concerned had not got SARU approval to play for LI at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I dunno. The fact he didn't have a valid work permit is a fairly big ordeal in terms of insurance etc, and even from a legal standpoint could be troublesome.

This is a good point. Not having a work permit is against the law, never mind the Champions Cup rules. I’m not sure if EPCR could treat it lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

The player came on with 20 mins to go with the scores level. So you can't argue he had no impact on the result.

Whatever the decision it will cause mayhem here.

You could have people taking legal action over travel plans, you could have Glasgow suing, and also Racing who missed out on a home quarter final and the money that brings in.

I do wonder if it being a work permit issue rather than an unregistered player issue, if it may be regarded differently

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

EPCR said Saracens brought this to their attention, called it an inadvertent admin error and explicitly said it was out by 1 day. They have set the tone for this already. They are not going to be rearranging all the games, and if they deducted points from Saracens that would open the door for Racing to look for a home QF meaning all games would have to be rearranged. This is not going to happen. Saracens will get a fine and a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The issue is precedent as well. Let someone off with a slap on the wrist rather than a material penalty and it won't dissuade others from doing the same and pointing to a soft sanction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Let's not forget that the epcr can't be seen to be bending rules for a serial rule breaker.

When did this come to Saracens attention? It was hardly just yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

molloyjh wrote: »
    EPCR said Saracens brought this to their attention, called it an inadvertent admin error and explicitly said it was out by 1 day. They have set the tone for this already. They are not going to be rearranging all the games, and if they deducted points from Saracens that would open the door for Racing to look for a home QF meaning all games would have to be rearranged. This is not going to happen. Saracens will get a fine and a slap on the wrist.

I guess that fine would go straight into Glasgow's hands in the form of a settlement to keep them happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Please let them be chucked out of the competition, if only for the absolutely epic Stephen Jones meltdown that would ensue...

Advertisement